A 22LR for the Nursey...God Daughter's first rifle recommendations. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : A 22LR for the Nursey...God Daughter's first rifle recommendations.

pugman
11-03-2012, 17:23
A few weeks ago my BIL asked I be the godfather to their soon to be here daughter. Frankly, I was a bit surprised since I'm 15 years older than he is...and by the time this kid graduates high school I will be closing in on retirement.

Dad is the extreme outdoors type: ice fishes, hunts black powder, rifle, pheasant, etc. If there is a season for it in Wisconsin he does it. He will finally get into bow next year.

Whether this kids knows it or not, she WILL be going out with dad. :supergrin::supergrin:

Godfather pugman plans on giving the soon to be bundle of joy three gifts at birth: Something religious for the nursery, a roll of silver dimes, and her first gun (with mom and dad's approval).

I would like to get something she can grow into. A cricket 22 seems like an easy pick, but a Ruger Takedown 10/22 would be something she could pass down to her kids.

Maybe a light bolt gun?

So it has to be light and easy enough to operate a young child can handle it and of course fun.

Raptor5
11-04-2012, 07:52
.......the Ruger 10/22 would be the gun that comes immediately to mind..........

WoodenPlank
11-04-2012, 09:34
I'd say the Cricket, due to size, weight, and simplicity of use. The Ruger can come later.

LSUAdman
11-04-2012, 09:35
I'll second the 10/22.

My worry with things like the Cricket and youth model rifles is that they will eventually outgrow them. Get them something they can kick around in 30 years and still remember their uncle Pugman.

USMC03Grunt
11-04-2012, 10:55
I'd say go with the Crickett. It's sized for young shooters and is light enough to easily handle. They do make adult size stocks that you can add later if that's an issue. My biggest reason for the Crickett/Chipmunk rifles is that it's a single shot that helps drive home the need for an accurate shot rather than the "no biggie, I've got another shot just a trigger pull away" mentality that can occur with an autoloader. Let it be a gradual approach when it comes to training young people to shooting. Get the 10/22 later after they have the basics down first. Besides, I just figure it shows the kid that you were thinking about them buying them a rifle built for their size shooter rather than a larger adult sized rifle. My boy (now 7) loves his. :)

shooter1074
11-04-2012, 17:07
I also recommend the cricket. My son is 9 years old and he finally properly fits the 10/22. Before that he was using the cricket and which he fit since he was 6 and still loves to shoot. I'll keep it for him until he has kids of he's own.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

SLO1911Fan
11-04-2012, 19:01
I would get a cricket to teach her to shoot on, but if I were buying a first gun for her I would get the CZ 452. It's light, sturdy, accurate, and is a gun she'll grow in to and will be around into her adulthood.

rvanpelt
11-13-2012, 15:11
Both of my grandsons started out with the Cricket at around the age of 4 yrs.. As mentioned, it is a small single shot which enables the younger, small framed kids the ability to start shooting earlier. Starting them out with a single shot is safer and teaches them not to waste the "first shot". They then graduated to the youth model Henry lever and then on to the Ruger 10/22 semi auto. The 10/22 is a fun gun with lots of add ons but I would prefer first a semi-auto like the Remington 597 which locks open when empty, which is a valuable feature.
Both grandsons have graduated to high powered big game rifles and semi-automatic pistols. My son is firearm instructor/LEO and SWAT member. As you can tell, I'm very proud of them.:cool:
Just my 2 cents worth and you can keep the change.
Rod van Pelt :wavey:

vafish
11-21-2012, 07:17
The down side to the cricket is they don't grow with the kid.

If you get the cz scout or a savage youth model you can swap out the stock to an adult stock as they grow and have a nice short light woods gun.

PaulMason
11-21-2012, 07:33
I would like to get something she can grow into. A cricket 22 seems like an easy pick, but a Ruger Takedown 10/22 would be something she could pass down to her kids.

Cricket makes sense for teaching and size.

Takedown does not make sense to me for anyone - get a folding stock if you want to make the gun smaller. When you add in the takedown case what benefit is there?

HexHead
11-21-2012, 07:44
A single shot makes far more sense to teach a child good, safe gun handling and shooting fundamentals than an auto loader. Period.

Cricket is a good choice, as it's smaller size with help with safe handling. When they outgrow it, it can be passed on to others, become a family heirloom or a treasured keepsake from childhood.

10/22... HAHAHAHAHAHA!

sawgrass
11-25-2012, 18:15
There is only one answer.

Winchester model 67. If you look around you might even find a youth model which is shorter. The earliest ones were made in the 1930's and have finger grooves on the fore stock.

Beautiful single shot classic designed for learning.

gsr
11-27-2012, 16:01
I perfer the Henry Mini Bolt over the Cricket. It has the same virtues as the Cricket, but with higher grade materials and nice fiber optic sights.

cfec2008
11-27-2012, 18:42
.......the Ruger 10/22 would be the gun that comes immediately to mind..........

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

bac1023
11-27-2012, 19:37
There are many great choices, as you can see.

Wyoming
11-27-2012, 21:27
If you get a Ruger 10-22 youth model with 16" barrel you will have a rifle that she can grow into.

I have two of them. When they first came out I bought one. I put a folding stock on and rear aperture sight. Why put a folding stock on an 18" standard rifle? This gun is for ATV and trucks use.

The second one is for small shooters like my wife. I have several other Ruger 10-22 in many configurations so why not have one for small people?

If my Dad had bought me a Ruger 10-22 when I was a kid I would still have it today. If you were to do the same thing there is no reason why it wouldn't be a keeper for life. How many used ones do you see in gun shops?

BTW, if she grows up to be left handed like me I will send you a left hand safety for free! I keep a few around for future use.

deputy tom
11-28-2012, 17:35
My vote is pink Cricket. tom.:cool:

GSSF17
11-29-2012, 18:17
Savage Rascal. Awesome little rifle. Pic: My daugher, shooting hers that she got for her birthday- turned 8 on black friday, and was always frustrated that she needed a rest with the Henry and my Savage MkII. Wanted a rifle she could shoot standing/ off hand. Rascal fit the bill. Single shot, drilled/tapped for a scope, no cocking knob, and an accutrigger. That's right, an accutrigger on a youth rifle. Cool beans!

ETA: sorry for the crappy phone pic.....and we are still working on her feet/stance. Hard to force her to change when she is drilling golfballs at 25 yds!

http://bl156w.blu156.mail.live.com/att/GetAttachment.aspx?tnail=0&messageId=af61d056-364b-11e2-a482-00215ad846a4&Aux=44|0|8CF986F9A850550||0|0|0|0||&cid=720d8fb7062beec8&maxwidth=220&maxheight=160&size=Att&blob=MHxwaG90by5KUEd8aW1hZ2UvanBlZw_3d_3d

HAMMERHEAD
11-29-2012, 18:38
CZ 452 Scout
Compact size, same quality as the full size models, nice open sights, all steel, comes with a single shot adapter but also takes 5 & 10 round mags.
I've had mine for many years, very satisfied.

mad.gunsmith
11-29-2012, 23:38
the Ruger 10/22 it was my son first rifle
with 2 mags you load 1 round and work like the cricket
but then you can load 2 rounds so they can learn

The Maggy
11-29-2012, 23:47
Standard wood stock 10/22.

If she takes to shooting you can tweak and mod to her liking as much as her heart desires

cowboywannabe
11-30-2012, 00:01
the cricket is a good starter...cheap, simple to use and safe. when she out grows it she will still have it to pass on to her kids.