What scope on my M4 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What scope on my M4

WarEagle32
11-03-2012, 20:09
I have 2 M4's. One DD with an Aimpoint. The other is a flat top S&W. I just got my burris PEPR QD mount and I was going to put a Nikon P223 3x9 on it with the BDC 600, but there is a 6 week wait on one unless one of you guys knows where one is. This M4 will mostly be used for Hunting and the Range since I have another M4 already set up for personal defense. What scope would you guys go with? Up to 500 bucks but preferably less.

WoodenPlank
11-03-2012, 20:17
I have this sudden sense of Deja Vu...

If the $500 isn't counting a mount, I'd look at one of the more economically priced Leupold optics with a LaRue mount.

Warp
11-03-2012, 20:22
I have 2 M4's. One DD with an Aimpoint. The other is a flat top S&W. I just got my burris PEPR QD mount and I was going to put a Nikon P223 3x9 on it with the BDC 600, but there is a 6 week wait on one unless one of you guys knows where one is. This M4 will mostly be used for Hunting and the Range since I have another M4 already set up for personal defense. What scope would you guys go with? Up to 500 bucks but preferably less.

Technically they aren't M4's. Just sayin' ;)

DD makes a damn nice one though. Good choice.

I don't have advice on this, just keeping an eye on it for future reference.

WarEagle32
11-03-2012, 22:14
I have the mount. This is my back up M4

Cole125
11-03-2012, 23:32
The Burris PERP is a good mount, the one I have has worked great.

For a $500 I would get a Leupold or higher end Burris.

I am a big fan of the Burris TAC30 1-4x on ARs, but you need 30mm rings.

AK_Stick
11-03-2012, 23:38
I just bought a used Leupold VX-R Patrol 1.25-4x20 for exactly that from the SWFA samplelist.

Cost me slightly more than 500 @646 with and American Defense mount. The scope itself sold for 496.00 so with your PEPR mount, you could find one under your limit.

You'd be hard pressed to find a better deal.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d127/ak_stick/L1010665.jpg
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d127/ak_stick/L1010666.jpg
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d127/ak_stick/L1010670.jpg
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d127/ak_stick/L1010669.jpg

Ajfb004
11-04-2012, 00:47
I have both a Aimpoint Micro in a LT 660 mount and a Vortex Viper PST. In a ADM mount. The Vortex is my favorite it's real close to a true 1x on the low end and has great glass

AK_Stick
11-04-2012, 08:45
Vortex = trash.

They're good for the range, I would prefer a Burris, or a Nikon for hunting.

Ajfb004
11-04-2012, 14:46
Vortex = trash.

They're good for the range, I would prefer a Burris, or a Nikon for hunting.

My experience has been just the opposite. Vortex offered better glass, construction, tactile feel with the turrets, and warranty. I'm using mine at work too so the construction and warranty were pretty important. No question, no hassle replacement for any issue is huge

AK_Stick
11-04-2012, 19:30
If construction and quality are "pretty important" I'm scratching my head as to how you ended up settling on that for a work rifle.

After having to shoot a caribou for a co-worker because he couldn't see the animal in the post sunset twilight. I can't recommend Vortex for anything other than plinker/fun duty.

I will NEVER allow any of my soldiers to put anything made by them on a rifle to go down range. (And yes, my unit can/does allow us to run personal optics)

MississipVol
11-04-2012, 19:53
If construction and quality are "pretty important" I'm scratching my head as to how you ended up settling on that for a work rifle.

After having to shoot a caribou for a co-worker because he couldn't see the animal in the post sunset twilight. I can't recommend Vortex for anything other than plinker/fun duty.

I will NEVER allow any of my soldiers to put anything made by them on a rifle to go down range. (And yes, my unit can/does allow us to run personal optics)

I just got a Burris MTAC and love it. Have the same mount but in 30mm rings.

Ajfb004
11-05-2012, 07:21

Ill stand by my advice and just say that the OP really shouldn't buy strictly based on any internet commando's advice. Go and look at the products side by side and compare them. Leupold, Burris, Vortex, and Nikon. See what your eye likes best and then look into their customer service and warranty. Then shoot, shoot , and shoot some more.

The only piece of professional equipment I ever had an issue with was an Aimpoint and they shipped me a new Micro immediately with no hassle. Thats what your after in a company...just find what works best with your eye

arushus
11-05-2012, 07:52
I have a Burris 2-7x35 with the PEPR mount and when I get a lil more money, Im going to mount a Burris Fastfire on top. So far I really like the scope, it was very easy to sight in at 100yds. With this setup, I feel like I can easily shoot out to four hundred yards or further if I need to, and with the fastfire I can quickly take out any up close targets without having to raise up and look around, then drop my eyes back to the scope and find my target again to fire...