do you change your OAL? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : do you change your OAL?

gofastman
11-04-2012, 08:50
...for different loads? or just set it and leave it?
I have been going with 1.240 for my light loads and a bit longer for the thumpers.

All my swampfox ammo was 1.25-1.251"

my gun reliably feeds up to 1.275"

one person said its best to have the bullet as deep in the throat as possible for best accuracy, any truth to this? :dunno:

_The_Shadow
11-04-2012, 11:19
Most bench rest shooters seat their bullets as long as possible to eliminate the bullet jump space to hopefully get a true start in the bore and also for maximum powder space if needed.

When it come to semi auto especially pistol while these things are still true reliability is the most important issue.

Bullet style can dictate seating depth more so than accuracy...Please read this article for the angle of the cartridge as it feeds into the chamber, this is also relitive for 10mm.
http://www.38super.net/Pages/Overall%20Length.html

gofastman
11-04-2012, 16:23
Most bench rest shooters seat their bullets as long as possible to eliminate the bullet jump space to hopefully get a true start in the bore and also for maximum powder space if needed.

When it come to semi auto especially pistol while these things are still true reliability is the most important issue.

Bullet style can dictate seating depth more so than accuracy...Please read this article for the angle of the cartridge as it feeds into the chamber, this is also relitive for 10mm.
http://www.38super.net/Pages/Overall%20Length.html
so I guess ill start loading 'em a bit longer

_The_Shadow
11-04-2012, 16:56
Strickly up to you, but it is why we handload, finding out what works best and the best bang for our buck!

Taterhead
11-08-2012, 19:27
I fiddle with loads until I find what works and then leave it alone. Generally speaking, 200s seat out to 1.26". 180s 1.25 - or 1.255 fmj or hp, respectively. Shorter bullets are loaded to 1.25". Mostly those COLs work for the dozens of different load combos I have worked up in 10mm.