Brass Particles? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Brass Particles?

Rich22
11-04-2012, 12:56
Weird question

Loaded a couple hundred rounds and noticed something weird, I go and wash my hands like normal after loading and saw what looked like brass particles then saw some also in my cartridge catch bin which I will admit has not been cleaned in a long time. All produced ammo looks excellent and can find no obvious problems, scratches on brass etc. Is this normal or should I tear down the dies and inspect? Just pulled them apart and cleaned and lubed about 500 rounds ago?

Thanks

Rich

Kentguy
11-04-2012, 16:07
Rich22,

I believe your (every) bullet seating die not only reshapes the brass case back around the bullet but it does a minor chamfer operation. Both of these processes will scrape a very very small amount from around the neck in order to get the neck to seat tightly around the bullet.

I believe this is where your brass particles are coming from, and by the way this is normal.

Gpruitt54
11-04-2012, 16:54
I've seen this with my Lee Classic turret press. I was going to post a question on this forum asking about this. Good post and good information.

Three-Five-Seven
11-05-2012, 08:27
Normal in my experience. Small flakes of brass come off the case mouth during sizing, expansion, and bullet seating. Case mouth of most brass is very rough unless/until trimmed.

Rich22
11-05-2012, 11:44
Excellent, wasn't sure if I was crimping too tight or perhaps had something wrong with my expander. Thanks for the info guys.

Rich

Colorado4Wheel
11-05-2012, 13:41
Manufacturer trimmed the case. They didn't do a great job deburring it. So when you size and expand the case small pieces of brass get scrapped off the mouth of the case.