Technique & Brass-to-face [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Technique & Brass-to-face

Green Dragoon
11-04-2012, 16:06
The other day I was practicing one of my drills:

From the leather, I draw, but only to waist level. Then, I shoot the gun on it's side, ejection port facing up. I guess this is called "gangsta" style.

Anyway, when I do that, I'm getting hit by brass in my face. Is this normal?

dhgeyer
11-04-2012, 16:17
Are you kidding or serious? I can't tell.

TxGlock9
11-04-2012, 16:19
I don't think that's called "gangsta" style bro.. Maybe Gangnam Style.. Op! Op!

SJ 40
11-04-2012, 16:19

From the leather, I draw, but only to waist level. Then, I shoot the gun on it's side, ejection port facing up. I guess this is called "gangsta" style.

Anyway, when I do that, I'm getting hit by brass in my face. Is this normal? :popcorn: SJ 40

dhgeyer
11-04-2012, 16:26
OK, joking it is.

Well, the brass to the face will be the least of your problems. You'll never be able to hit anything that way because with the gun on its left side, instead of dropping as it normally would, the bullet will arc to the right.

Green Dragoon
11-04-2012, 16:32
OK, joking it is.

Well, the brass to the face will be the least of your problems. You'll never be able to hit anything that way because with the gun on its left side, instead of dropping as it normally would, the bullet will arc to the right.

It is only for close-in work. Too close for dropping to take affect.

Made in Austria
11-04-2012, 16:38
You don't get brass to the face if you apply an modified gangsta style.

Watch this excellent training video:

Matt Steele Outdoors (3) Shooting Grip Essentials - YouTube

wats6831
11-04-2012, 17:17
It is only for close-in work. Too close for dropping to take affect.

The only way to know for sure if it's not dropping is to turn the gun barrel up and parallel to your body and try to get eyes on the bullet as it leaves the barrel.

Green Dragoon
11-04-2012, 17:36

Matt Steele Outdoors (3) Shooting Grip Essentials - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDnEkFSMRik&feature=related)

I like your sense of humor. Thanks for posting.

Green Dragoon
11-04-2012, 17:43

Matt Steele Outdoors (3) Shooting Grip Essentials - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDnEkFSMRik&feature=related)

I just watched the video. HILARIOUS!! I love the super-modified. And the insult "you can't even play soccer".

Raleigh Glocker
11-04-2012, 19:29
I honestly tried gangsta style with my repaired Gen 4 G17, and I got no BTF. You might need to contact the warranty department about that.
:supergrin:

cowboy1964
11-04-2012, 20:29
You'll never be able to hit anything that way because with the gun on its left side, instead of dropping as it normally would, the bullet will arc to the right.

Wow, and here I thought bullets dropped due to gravity.

dhgeyer
11-04-2012, 20:45

Not in this thread. :whistling:

Green Dragoon
11-05-2012, 05:30

not after the Summer Solstice....or the Equinox. I get confused.

SouthpawG26
11-05-2012, 06:47
The best way to totally eliminate BTF issues on Glocks of any caliber and generation, is to use them as Gaston the Great intended:

Underwater.

LampShadeActual
11-05-2012, 09:00
There is some level of ding battedness concerning simple mechanical things that when achieved should render a firearm user neutered.

Posting is always great fun, but you should only embarrass yourself so much.

Consider:

1) In ordinary proper function, when held with the sights on top and the muzzle toward the target, a Glock ejects spent cases generally to the right and to the rear and a little upward arcing to landing at 3-4-5 O'clock as it were.

2) If you rotate that assembly 90 degrees to the left so that the trigger finger side is up and the magazine release side is down, you also rotate the ejection pattern 90 degrees. The result without the slightest thought needed is that the ejection pattern is now upwards and to the rear with a little bit of left component added in. Rather than empty air, your face is in that spot.

Perhaps this is how all the brass to the face stories get generated. Gangs'ta bangers.

It is similiar to teaching your grandson to water the weeds instead of running to mommie to get his undies down and sit on the pottie. The easy instruction is to aim outwards so as to hit the weeds and miss the pizzers feet.

The ancillary rule, applicable to the above OP's question, is, yes, if you pizz aimed straight up with a stiff wind blowing in your face, you will get wet.

FFR Spyder GT
11-05-2012, 12:11

Anyway, when I do that, I'm getting hit by brass in my face. Is this normal?

Yes, this is normal.

Also, if you point a loaded Glock at your foot and you pull the trigger you will shoot yourself in the foot. This too is normal.

wingryder
11-05-2012, 14:19
OK, joking it is.

You have to be super careful, in an open area, the bullets will actually arc around and hit you in the back of the head :shocked:

Green Dragoon
11-05-2012, 16:43
Yes, this is normal.

Also, if you point a loaded Glock at your foot and you pull the trigger you will shoot yourself in the foot. This too is normal.

thanks. I wrote this in my range journal so I won't make that mistake.

dhgeyer
11-05-2012, 16:45
You have to be super careful, in an open area, the bullets will actually arc around and hit you in the back of the head :shocked:

Yes, that happened to me once. That hurts even worse than BTF.