More Brass-To-Face [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : More Brass-To-Face

RRP
11-04-2012, 19:10
I took my first Glock, a Gen4 G19, to the range this weekend. Approximately 20-25% of the brass hit me in the face.

I shot:

100 rounds of PMC, 115 gr FMJ
100 rounds of Blazer Brass, 124 gr FMJ

I have never had this problem with my Kahrs, Sigs, XDM or M&P (using the same cheap ammo). I was not limp-wristing. I'm not new to pistol shooting. I have put 1000s of rounds down-range, in the last 6 months, alone. My technique works fine with other brands of firearms.

This gun was purchased new this week. I don't see a date of manufacture on box. The LGS who sold me the weapon does high volume, so I suspect this gun was born recently. It is made in USA.

I've searched the forum and found others with similar problems. I've noted that technique is often cited as the cause of BTF. To this, I call BS.

If you've experienced this problem, and have found a solution, I welcome your feedback.

Gills63
11-04-2012, 19:23
Sorry can't help with your issue. But just a tip, if you wear glasses then also wear a hat. It sucks having a hot brass land between your glasses and your face.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

RRP
11-04-2012, 19:32
Sorry can't help with your issue. But just a tip, if you wear glasses then also wear a hat. It sucks having a hot brass land between your glasses and your face.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

I do wear glasses at the range. Fortunately, I didn't have hot brass wedge behind the glasses.

Next time, I'll bring a hat. Good tip. It doesn't fix the problem, but it may help me avoid the "Ash Wednesday" syndrome mentioned in another thread.

Raleigh Glocker
11-04-2012, 19:36
Video the problem, then call Glock. They will have you send it back to them for repair. Your best ally is documentation.

Here's mine:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbgrioNpJSA&list=PLLL3Kmhuld1X9F0pOW4HTjSy2wRU8ZGXY&feature=plpp_play_all

PrecisionRifleman
11-04-2012, 19:44
I've been wanting to get a Gen 4 G17 in FDE, but looks like there are still some kinks to work out.... sure hope they get the issues squared away. =/

RRP
11-04-2012, 19:57
Video the problem, then call Glock. They will have you send it back to them for repair. Your best ally is documentation.

Excellent advice and great videos. Thank you!

plouffedaddy
11-04-2012, 20:14
Excellent advice and great videos. Thank you!

It is; that's how I got my Gen4 19 replaced as well.

TxGlock9
11-04-2012, 20:17

Here's mine:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbgrioNpJSA&list=PLLL3Kmhuld1X9F0pOW4HTjSy2wRU8ZGXY&feature=plpp_play_all

Is that you Raleigh? You can make a great kids show host.. :whistling:

Raleigh Glocker
11-04-2012, 20:26
Is that you Raleigh? You can make a great kids show host.. :whistling:

Because I said "fudge"? :supergrin:

YouTube is starting to crack down on foul language in monetized videos. Besides, I want my vids to be more or less family safe.

That said, I plan to put together a fail reel at the end of the year. It will make the Winnebago Man seem like a sweet talker. :)

bunk22
11-04-2012, 21:38
I think at some point, a certain individual will appear in this thread and make internet know it all claims, make up stories about shooting with known "experts" about how everyone is shooting the gun wrong, it's the grip, the poor stance, it's the cheap Wallymart ammo, etc. Granted, he will offer no how to video, no credibility, no nothing except for internet commando hype.

demented
11-05-2012, 00:31
Very strange about the Gen 4's getting all the complaints, I've got two 2009 Gen 3 19's that have been throwing brass at me since new. Surely I don't own the only two!?

CDW4ME
11-05-2012, 04:34
It is not just the generation 4 Glocks throwing brass toward people's face, my late generation 3 model 26 did it too (and I have several other Glocks that don't).
I put in a new extractor, but still had occasional brass to head.
Hotter ammo may solve the problem, but this particular 26 wouldn't reliably feed Ranger T +P+
I was ready to sell / trade it.
I finally handloaded a Hornady 115 XTP (1,157 fps / 342# KE) that works without brass to head.
Federal HST 124 gr. +P works too.

My handload: Hornady 115 XTP with 5.8 gr. Unique, Winchester primer, OAL 1.090" taper crimped.

bighat2
11-05-2012, 05:28
Great video Raleigh! My new G19 gen3 was a little worse with the BTF and as it approached 1,000 rounds, began to stove pipe about twice out of 100 rounds... not good. It's currently sitting in Smyrna, GA for repairs. Glad to see that Glock improved your ejection issues, but a little disheartening that it's still so erratic. I'll be interested to see how it holds up over time. Thanks for putting the time into that video.

ColdSteelNail
11-05-2012, 09:38
I had the exact same problem as you. My Sigs, Karh, Ruger, and M&P were fine but my gen4 23 threw brass into my face. I took it to Glock in Atlanta and they failed to fix it so I sold it. No more Glocks for me unless I buy an early Gen3 or wait for a Gen5.

clarkz71
11-05-2012, 10:02
It's hit & miss with late g3 & g4 9mm & .40.

My 23 ejects fine at 4:00 and lands 5 feet or so away (so far)

brickboy240
11-05-2012, 10:30
Seriously, I'd trade it away for an early 3rd gen or 2nd gen gun or look at something new like the PPQ or P-30.

Thats what I am doing...tired of trying to fix my 3rd gen G19...and I tried the expensive Apex extractor too!

-brickboy240

kodiakpb
11-05-2012, 10:35
Because I said "fudge"? :supergrin:

YouTube is starting to crack down on foul language in monetized videos. Besides, I want my vids to be more or less family safe.

That said, I plan to put together a fail reel at the end of the year. It will make the Winnebago Man seem like a sweet talker. :)

You must have forgotten your accoutrama. :rofl:

clarkz71
11-05-2012, 11:12
Seriously, I'd trade it away for an early 3rd gen or 2nd gen gun or look at something new like the PPQ or P-30.

Thats what I am doing...tired of trying to fix my 3rd gen G19...and I tried the expensive Apex extractor too!

That's why Randy's working on an Extractor for you g3 guys.

He said they need a modified version compared to g4's. But you already know that since you post over at M4C.

[Randy
Thanks for the offer, but since you are working hard on a solution...could I just take the Apex extractor out of my Gen 3 G19 and send it and the spring back for an exchange on the newer Gen 3 extractor you are coming out with?
I really...really..really do not want to give up the Glock platform. I have been shooting Glocks since 92 and am just too used to it.
So I'd like to fix this G19. The only thing wrong with the gun is the crazy ejection.
The extractor I have is in great shape and I did not file on it or do anything odd to it. I just dropped it and the spring in the G19 and ran 200rds through it.
Can I swap it for the new one when you have them available?
Thanks,
Brickboy240

jtrudel31
11-05-2012, 11:25

-brickboy240

Did'nt you purchase the apex extractor that was meant for the gen 4 models? I would wait for the gen 3 design before you start slinging comments about apex. I do feel your fustration as I have been trying to get my gen 4 to work as advertised. It has been back to Glock twice and if the apex extractor does not do it that will most likely be the last straw.

clarkz71
11-05-2012, 11:27
Did'nt you purchase the apex extractor that was meant for the gen 4 models? I would wait for the gen 3 design before you start slinging comments about apex. I do feel your fustration as I have been trying to get my gen 4 to work as advertised. It has been back to Glock twice and if the apex extractor does not do it that will most likely be the last straw.

That's why I copied his post from the M4C forum, he knows

jtrudel31
11-05-2012, 11:30
That's why I copied his post from the M4C forum, he knows

I apologize, I did not read all the posts. Jumped the gun.
Jt

clarkz71
11-05-2012, 11:34
I apologize, I did not read all the posts. Jumped the gun.
Jt

No, I'm glad you posted, we all need to back Randy up.

He's doing much more for Glock owners then the factory is.

jtrudel31
11-05-2012, 11:56
No, I'm glad you posted, we all need to back Randy up.

He's doing much more for Glock owners the the factory is.

I agree. I've spent over a 100.00$ in shipping sending mine to the factory. And sounds like for 60.00$ you'll get better results from a third party, which should never have to be the case.

brickboy240
11-05-2012, 12:46
Yes, but remember...AT THE TIME...these Apex extractors were sold to both gen 3 and gen 4 owners as the same fix.

It was only after we raced out and bought these things (...which were not cheap) that we found out that this was not the fix and the 3 and 4 guns were indeed different.

Its also sad that by now....Glock STILL has not fixed this problem. I mean...how much dough DID this cheapo MIM extractor REALLY save Glock? Especially if you consider how it damaged their reputation.

Right now...my choices are: wait for the Apex 3rd gen extractor (...and hope it fixes things) or trade the gun away.

Believe me...if I stumble across a decent 2nd gen G19...the troublesome 3rd gen G19 is going bye bye.

I just wanted this possible buyer to know that buying ANY new 9mm Glock right now is a total roll of the dice...that is all.

This is just totally frustrating...a gun I bought new in April is still unfit for prime time use. I am having early Colt 1911 flashbacks! LOL

-brickboy240

clarkz71
11-05-2012, 12:52
Yes, but remember...AT THE TIME...these Apex extractors were sold to both gen 3 and gen 4 owners as the same fix.

-brickboy240

That's true, but unlike Glock, who still denies there is a problem
Randy responded right away by figuring out
the difference between g3 and g4 and came up with
a solution. Also is exchanging the extractors (used) for
the new version g3 no questions asked.

That's real customer service.

brickboy240
11-05-2012, 12:57
Yes, it does appear that Apex is doing the job that Glock simply will not do! LOL

With all the polymer striker pistols on the heels of Glock's market leading position....you'd think they would take a different tack but I guess they are just too comfortable in their position to give it a try.

That is pretty much how Ford, Chevy and Chrysler lost their market to Toyota, Nissan and Honda....is it not?

-brickboy240

clarkz71
11-05-2012, 13:12
Yes, I agree.

I didn't know about Glock's problems with the new guns
until after I bought my new 23. The last time I had Glocks
was the late 90's. I've been mostly a 1911 shooter the last
20 years or so.

After I bought it I joined the forum and...........surprise.

So far though my 23 has been real good. But when the Apex
.40 extractors come out I will replace mine to be safe.

brickboy240
11-05-2012, 13:23
For quite a while, I think it was only the 9mm Glocks that had the extraction problems. Now...people are showing up with many 40 and 45s with this problem.

Did Glock just change these guns to the MIM extractors, too? I don't know.

Either way, this has been one big headache and a black mark for Glock if you ask me.

The G19/17 USED to be the one pistol you could buy and blaze away right out of the box and have no troubles at all.

...not any more.

-brickboy240

clarkz71
11-05-2012, 13:26
I don't know about the .45's, but enough shooters of
the .40 are having the problem that Apex is going to
do extractors for them as well.

OldLincoln
11-05-2012, 17:30
You mean they aren't supposed to hit you in the face????? I have that happen with both my G30 and Kahr PM9 and thought my Colt Commander 45 1911 was defective as it doesn't do it. Go figure.

clarkz71
11-05-2012, 17:36
You mean they aren't supposed to hit you in the face????? I have that happen with both my G30 and Kahr PM9 and thought my Colt Commander 45 1911 was defective as it doesn't do it. Go figure.

LOL, no BTF isn't normal. Of course us 1911 guys are used to
replacing parts & tuning extractors on a new gun.

This is new to Glock shooters.

Txnowtn
11-06-2012, 11:14
Bought a new G19 Gen 4 last Friday. (Case fired 5-16-12) Fired about 100 rounds today. Functioned fine but several WWB BTF. Glad I was wearing my glasses, one would have hit right in the eye. This has to be fixed.
Fired about 20 Rem Golden Sabers, not any problems with them.

Arc Angel
11-06-2012, 11:58
:) Hello! Me and several of the neighbors not being slow to recognize a moneymaking opportunity when it's presented to us have come up with the perfect solution to Glock's Brass-To-The-Face problems.

Here's our, Model #1, 'Universal Glock Safety Helmet':

http://imageshack.us/a/img198/4102/glocksafetyshield2.jpg

Universal model. Guaranteed to work under all prevailing light conditions, day or night, indoors or out. Stop risking your eyesight; stop burning the end of your nose on red hot brass! Get yourself into our, 'BTF Safety Helmet' today! Only $149.95 deliverered. Satisfaction guaranteed or your money back. (Same as your Glock!)

And our Model #2, 'Daytime (Desert) Glock Safety Helmet':

http://imageshack.us/a/img94/4341/glocksafetyshield1.jpg

Daytime Model. Not recommended for nighttime or indoor use. May not work under all prevailing light conditions. Reduces glare and perceived muzzle flash. No more ejected red hot cases in the face! Only $129.95 delivered. Satisfaction guaranteed or your money back. (Same as your Glock!)

NOTE: Additional safety goggles optional. Hurry, supplies are limited.

F106 Fan
11-06-2012, 12:52
This gun was purchased new this week. I don't see a date of manufacture on box. The LGS who sold me the weapon does high volume, so I suspect this gun was born recently. It is made in USA.

There is usually a small paper envelope with a spent shell casing inside the box. The test date is on the envelope.

I've searched the forum and found others with similar problems. I've noted that technique is often cited as the cause of BTF. To this, I call BS.

I've come up with the idea that it is best to search the Internet BEFORE buying something. Had I known of all the Glock issues, I would not have bought my late model Gen 3 G21SF (.45 ACP). Now, AFAIK, there are no problems with my Glock. But I still wouldn't have bought it. And I'm certainly not buying the G34 I would like to have for IDPA competition. I already own my first and LAST Glock. I don't see any reason to enter the "Will It Work or Won't It?" lottery. And I most certainly do not want to be in the game of sending it all over the country to get repaired. Even if Glock is paying the bill.

It's not like this 9mm and now 40 S&W problem hasn't been known for a couple of years. There is an active thread every single week about BTF and FTE. There are now so many videos that even the fanboys have given up blaming it all on the shooter or ammo.

If you've experienced this problem, and have found a solution, I welcome your feedback.

I don't know that the Apex extractor fixes all the problems. There are success stories and counter-stories. I think it is a little early to yell EUREKA! But maybe... At least it's something and that's a lot more than Glock is doing.

Good luck!

Richard

Giggity-Giggity
11-06-2012, 12:57
Does it happen at the 80th+ shot? When the gun gets hot? It happens to my G17G4.

Txnowtn
11-06-2012, 13:32
Does it happen at the 80th+ shot? When the gun gets hot? It happens to my G17G4.

My first BTF was in the first or second magazine.

Txnowtn
11-06-2012, 13:37
:) Hello! Me and several of the neighbors not being slow to recognize a moneymaking opportunity when it's presented to us have come up with the perfect solution to Glock's Brass-To-The-Face problems.

As an alternative to your $130.00 model, I will break out my old Darth Vader mask. He would be a great celebrity spokesperson for this deal, too. Who you gonna get - the Gunny?

03scgt
11-06-2012, 16:17
I don't know why so many are having issues when so many people aren't.atleast the gun goes bang everytime,alittle brass to the face is annoying but it wouldn't deter me from buying another

Ive got a new gen 4 g17 and a gen 4 27 and god help the person shooting to the right of me.they both shoot missiles off to the right

Txnowtn
11-06-2012, 19:03
I don't know why so many are having issues when so many people aren't.atleast the gun goes bang everytime,alittle brass to the face is annoying but it wouldn't deter me from buying another

Ive got a new gen 4 g17 and a gen 4 27 and god help the person shooting to the right of me.they both shoot missiles off to the right

By design and by reputation, Glocks are not supposed to be "at least" guns. You can spend $300.00 or less to get an at least gun that goes bang every time.

di11igaf
11-06-2012, 19:57

No, the ones with bad BTF do not always go bang. My gen 3 stovepiped more than any gun I've owned in the last 10 years combined.
BTF is a stovepipe waiting to happen, and my gen 3 proved this to me. My old gen 2 19-perfect
2005 34-perfect
03/12 gen 3 19-stovepiping, BTF, left ejecting POS
08/12 gen 4 19-sometimes ejects a little erratic, no stoppages what so ever, light years better than my gen 3 19.
Edit-Btw-supercharged GT?
I had a ws-6 with a procharger D1SC, almost bought an 03 cobra before I did the blower. Would still like to have one.

Arc Angel
11-07-2012, 02:26
No, the ones with bad BTF do not always go bang. My gen 3 stovepiped more than any gun I've owned in the last 10 years combined.

BTF is a stovepipe waiting to happen, and my gen 3 proved this to me. My old gen 2 19-perfect

:wow: Now THAT is the scariest post yet! (Not a good morning. No, not at all.) :freak:

di11igaf
11-07-2012, 07:14
:wow: Now THAT is the scariest post yet! (Not a good morning. No, not at all.) :freak:

Ya its deff not a good thing, or even an ok ill deal with it thing. Occasional BTF like my gen 4 does, maybe 1 every few hundred rounds, l call ok.
Not when its doing it every mag, any ammo. Cases are bouncing around in the chamber, and I'm pretty sure that my gen 3 was just so pitiful bad with the BTF, and left hand ejection the law of averages worked as expected and the slide caught a few of the cases since they're hanging around in the ejection port longer.
Glock took it, verified there was a problem, replaced a few things, including extractor and trigger bar, said it was fixed. It wasn't. It wasnt. It didnt take long at all for the problem and stovepipes in a day to reoccur

SiGlockBoy
11-07-2012, 08:55
I have owned several dozen Glocks since they came out and still have a couple dozen keepers. Some have this issue and some don't.

One particular Glock has this issue as well as some other documented issues that started a G36 rage on this forums a few years ago. Yes I bought a known faulty Glock 36 even after I knew Glock had it several times to try and fix.

It's well documented and easy to find. Well, as well as double feeds it also throws brass at you too. I have tried many suggested fixes for the double over the last couple years and found several solutions that made it run like a top, yet when I put the original parts back in, it goes back to doubling.

So back on topic. The brass issue, as I said, is random in my Glocks. Never totally bothered me, so I never gave it much time. I've spent many hours tuning 1911 extractors and after a recent post, thought I'd try the glock extractor.

I removed the ectractor, after returning all parts to original, and gave it a good stoning like I do on S&W trigger jobs. (I have a write up on an Apex J-Frame Duty/Carry Kit later for the 638 too. In short awesome) Back to stoning. No I didn't throw rocks at it for breaking the rules. I did what others have and baasically smoothed out all sides, grooves, nookes and cranny's to make it contact the shell as best as I could. Made sure it held a cartridge to the breach face as it should with quite a bit of jiggling.

After going to the range the next day, I shot 6 magazines worth of Federal 230grn FMJ, a known 5% unreliable round in that particular glock for me. Not only did I complete the 6 mags worth of ammo, I found a nice pile, fairly neatly 6-8' from me back and to the right. Huh, no brass in the face, down the shirt or anywhere toward my body. After I realized what a simpe fix it was I wondered why I didn't have a single double. Out of 36rds, I should have experienced at least 1 or 2 double feeds, but nothing.

Time will tell, but I will say so far, it seems like a nice little fix to a long term problem with the G36 that some have had. Now I will say I never had any failures with premiuim hotter ammo as it seemed to cycle well but with the lower pressure target brands, some had suggested many times that the cycle wasn't smart enough to keep the shell under extractor control, letting it slip out from it and cause the double feed.

I have since done another carry 36 that has never given me any issues except the occasional brass in the face too. I have not tested it yet but hope to see the same results.

Were not talking polishing the heck out of it. I'm saying a light stoning to insure that all surfaces are not being held back from doing its job. People who have done trigger jobs know what I mean about light stoning. It feels rough initially and then you feel the stone begin to glide. You stop there

I'm not getting into the other debates here as it is useless to try and convince some how tuning does help the sick machine. Out of hundreds of pistols owned, I can certainly attest to getting some that are perfectly crafted and others that were assembled by the new guy. It can happen and you can't deny it.

Good luck.

Arc Angel
11-07-2012, 15:12
...... I removed the ectractor, after returning all parts to original, and gave it a good stoning like I do on S&W trigger jobs. .......

I'm not getting into the other debates here as it is useless to try and convince some how tuning does help the sick machine. Out of hundreds of pistols owned, I can certainly attest to getting some that are perfectly crafted and others that were assembled by the new guy. It can happen and you can't deny it.

I stoned my extractor, too. This is the reason, 'Why' I'm not having worse problems than I do. Still, I went for a good 3,000 + rounds BEFORE I was forced to admit to myself that a real and (for me) unsolvable problem DID exist. My thoughts? I don't think you're, 'out of the woods yet'.

barth
11-07-2012, 15:21
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-xwV1_yHIkTg/TpBPSl-kOvI/AAAAAAAAl_Y/m9162cVLluM/s1600/untitled6.bmp

JBP55
11-07-2012, 15:38
Bought a new G19 Gen 4 last Friday. (Case fired 5-16-12) Fired about 100 rounds today. Functioned fine but several WWB BTF. Glad I was wearing my glasses, one would have hit right in the eye. This has to be fixed.
Fired about 20 Rem Golden Sabers, not any problems with them.

I will be in your City in about 2 weeks if you want to go to the Sevierville range and shoot a Gen 4 G17 that has fired almost 40,000 flawless rounds.

Raleigh Glocker
11-07-2012, 16:05
I will be in your City in about 2 weeks if you want to go to the Sevierville range and shoot a Gen 4 G17 that has fired almost 40,000 flawless rounds.

What parts have you replaced during those 40k and how often? Did you notice any changes in ejection pattern from part to part (obviously no BTF)?

Thanks!

SCmasterblaster
11-07-2012, 16:56
Hot brass to the face. One would think that the folks who developed the Gen 4 Glocks might have noticed it.

ignantmike
11-07-2012, 17:45
glock will wise up when people stop buying them...:whistling:

SCmasterblaster
11-07-2012, 18:01
glock will wise up when people stop buying them...:whistling:

What? Why would they risk losing their excellent reputation on something that they can repair? It is obviously the recoil spring assy - they have tried fixing just about everything else.

glocktecher
11-07-2012, 23:09

Here's mine:

NO, this is not crazy, this is Glock.

And what is really strange / funny is many, many Glock fanboys think this is a positive thing. A burn mark to the face is a badge of manhood. Then they turn around and blame it on the shooter for, wait for it,

Limpwristing.

RRP
11-08-2012, 02:02
There are lots of insightful posts here. I appreciate everyone's feedback. Thank you for taking the time to respond to my inquiry.

It doesn't fix the BTF problem, but there is some comfort in knowing I didn't buy the only problematic Gen4 Glock 19. The BTF issue seems widespread among Gen4, and even some late Gen3 models. Eventually, Glock will have to acknowledge the problem and offer a permanent solution or face losing market share. This problem will catch up to them. Glock's past reputation of "perfection" won't last forever, if it does not fix this problem.

My G19 was plagued with erratic ejection and brass-to-face from the first magazine I shot through it. A significant number of folks have said their Glock worked fine initially, but developed brass-to-face problem after some use. If that is so, how many Gen4 Glocks are just waiting to fail?

Frustrated by Glock's response, some very clever folks have attempted to fix the erratic ejection on their own by modifying or replacing ejectors, extractors, springs, etc. Others have sent their pistols to Glock for repair. What is most concerning to me is that, to date, no definitive diagnosis or lasting solution to the erratic ejection has been found. Even those who returned their guns to Glock for repair, continue to have weak and erratic ejection.

I am not willing to spend $50, $60 or $100 to repair a new Glock pistol. I shouldn't have to; not for a brand new gun. If Glock doesn't find a solution, I will stick to Sig, H&K, XDM, M&P, etc. In my experience, those have always been reliable, right out of the box.

Police305
11-08-2012, 02:39
I have put 400 rounds through my Gen 3 G26 and have only been hit in the face once!

FrankZ
11-08-2012, 06:56
I was at the range on Saturday and went through 150 rounds. I had 2 eject back at me and with both I noticed my grip wasn't as high and tight as it should have been. Both landed on top of my head, they did not eject straight into my face.

Just an observation for my G19 and not an advised solution.

MikeWick
11-08-2012, 07:39
I recently bought a G19 Gen 4 after my dad did and loved it. Both of ours do that as well. I guess it doesnt seem to be a huge deal at this moment, but if it burned my face that might change things.

silly boy
11-09-2012, 13:22
I am new to guns and I have put over a thousand rounds through my G22 Gen 4 without having this problem.
FWIW I have only used the Winchester white box FMJ 165 and 180 grain.

Txnowtn
11-09-2012, 16:59

Thanks, but that would probably just cause me to buy one! If you are coming here for a vacation, hope you enjoy it. I was in the mountains this morning. It was about 36 degrees and windy. The air was very, very fresh.

bigGrease
11-09-2012, 20:04
I've got 2 gen3 19's and a gen3 17 that all started hitting me in the face with brass around 800-1000 rounds in (does this sound familiar to anyone?).

I wanted to have a glock that worked flawlessly, so I did alot of research and heard that the gen4 23's were good to go and that all issues that might have been encountered in their infancy had been corrected. Well, all I have to say is that's BS.

Took the 23 out about 4 times so far. I've had failure to feeds every single time I've taken it to the range. This is with the most up-to-date magazines (#9 and #2 combo), according to other glocktalk posts I've read. I figured I'd go to the range one last time to see if everything had straightened out on its own accord before sending the magazines in.

I get to the range with 300 rounds and I'm practicing. Everything is cool for a while; one of the range masters even came up behind me and said "Is that a Glock you're shooting?"

I said "Yeah, why?"

She replied, "That thing is kicking brass out like crazy. I was just admiring the extraction. I have a 34 that has been giving me tons of problems at competition and just dribbles brass up my forearms...." etc.

After the conversation, I went back to shooting. Well, after ANOTHER failure to feed, I started getting walloped in the head HARD with brass. This was at about round 700. By the end of the session, I had been hit in the forehead/eye area 5-6 times hard as hell and noticed two small cuts in my skin.

I'm sorry, but I am sending this 23 back to Davidson's for a replacement, then selling the replacement when it arrives. From that point, I will be selling off the rest of the Glocks that I own. From my experience, this is totally out-of-hand at this point and it doesn't appear the problem will ever get fixed.

If any of you old pros start with the "grip/stance/ammo/form" routine....just do yourself a favor and save it. I know how to shoot properly and have many other pieces that function perfectly. Sorry Glock, go screw yourself and the horse you rode in on. I'm done.

cruzenchris
11-10-2012, 10:41
Sorry Glock, go screw yourself and the horse you rode in on. I'm done.

Yep, that about sums it up ! Good Luck...

clarkz71
11-10-2012, 15:56
Sorry Glock, go screw yourself and the horse you rode in on. I'm done.

:violin:

Bruce M
11-10-2012, 16:15
As I continue to read these threads and ponder the issues and feel lucky that mine are fine (possibly predating the issue) and feel badly for the folks that have issues, I wonder what happens when the guys test fire guns sent back to them at the factory. I have sometimes thought it would be very interesting to get some of the people who have issues together with a Glock representative at a range somewhere. Not that I am saying that will happen, just that it probably would be interesting.

di11igaf
11-10-2012, 18:03
As I continue to read these threads and ponder the issues and feel lucky that mine are fine (possibly predating the issue) and feel badly for the folks that have issues, I wonder what happens when the guys test fire guns sent back to them at the factory. I have sometimes thought it would be very interesting to get some of the people who have issues together with a Glock representative at a range somewhere. Not that I am saying that will happen, just that it probably would be interesting.

One thing they use aluminum cased ammo to test fire their guns, I know this isn't the case for every problematic glock, but my btf'ing gen 3 ejected steel and aluminum about perfectly. I'm guessing its due to the extractor being able to get a better hold on the case since brass is much smoother than steel or aluminum cases, and aluminum almost binds with other metals, probably helping the extractor hold.
This was just my experience, and I'm not exactly sure of the reason, this just seems logical to me.