federal classic 9bp [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : federal classic 9bp

yakfisher
11-04-2012, 19:19
any one have any reports or reviews local box store has what seems to be a good price

SCmasterblaster
11-04-2012, 19:25
any one have any reports or reviews local box store has what seems to be a good price

It is the 9mm 115gr JHP that all other defensive 9mm loads are compared to.

unit1069
11-04-2012, 20:07
It is the 9mm 115gr JHP that all other defensive 9mm loads are compared to.

Are you sure you're not thinking of the Federal 9BPLE?

kaech
11-05-2012, 06:22

^^.. my local walmart now has the 9BP,but in my book its just good rage ammo.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

tcruse
11-05-2012, 07:30
There are both 9BP (standard pressure) and 9BPLE ( +P pressure). Both are thought to be effective even if a little dated. Almost always on the "recommended list" in most articles and studies. They have a good long track record, so probably a very safe choice. I think that they may be a better choice than some of the rounds that are on the leading edge with no track record.

SCmasterblaster
11-05-2012, 09:06

Nope. I remember reports of the 9BP 30 years ago. :cool:

robhic
11-05-2012, 09:28
If 9BP is as good as its "cousin" 9BPLE then I'd absolutely go for it!!! And IIRC, 9BPLE is +P+, not just +P. Good, HOT street-cred ammo.

cowboy1964
11-05-2012, 12:12
If 9BP is as good as its "cousin" 9BPLE then I'd absolutely go for it!!! And IIRC, 9BPLE is +P+, not just +P. Good, HOT street-cred ammo.

9BPLE definitely is +P+. It's a fun little round at the range.

SCmasterblaster
11-05-2012, 15:28
9BPLE definitely is +P+. It's a fun little round at the range.

I have some 9BPLE in my G17 right now. :cool:

USSOCOM
11-05-2012, 20:43
This is an excellent 9mm round as is the sister round 9BPLE +P. Purchase with confidence that it performs.

Tiro Fijo
11-06-2012, 00:18
The Fed. 9mm BP worked well in a full length service barrel such as a Glock 17, High Power, SIG p226, Beretta 92, etc. Under that (4" & less) and all bets were off. Here's a test where it fails miserably, for what it's worth and depending how much stock you put into the SIM Test Media:

9mm Federal HI-SHOK 115 gr JHP AMMO TEST - YouTube

For less money you can now buy what is for all intents & purposes a +p version of this: XM9001, which is a Canadian LE contract ammo available by the ton literally now in the USA. It is between the BP & the BPLE in velocity. Hotpig has it in stock at a great price:

http://www.mahsupplies.net/

I've shot a few hundred of the XM9001 and it's a great shooter & accurate.

SCmasterblaster
11-07-2012, 10:02
The Fed. 9mm BP worked well in a full length service barrel such as a Glock 17, High Power, SIG p226, Beretta 92, etc. Under that (4" & less) and all bets were off. Here's a test where it fails miserably, for what it's worth and depending how much stock you put into the SIM Test Media:

9mm Federal HI-SHOK 115 gr JHP AMMO TEST - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWl2bEMSKfM)

For less money you can now buy what is for all intents & purposes a +p version of this: XM9001, which is a Canadian LE contract ammo available by the ton literally now in the USA. It is between the BP & the BPLE in velocity. Hotpig has it in stock at a great price:

http://www.mahsupplies.net/

I've shot a few hundred of the XM9001 and it's a great shooter & accurate.

I like the 9BPLE ammo in my G17!

JohnnyReb
11-09-2012, 17:11
BPLE performed much better in TNoutdoors9's testing.

unit1069
11-09-2012, 18:59
BPLE performed much better in TNoutdoors9's testing.

Yes, for the negligible price difference the 9BPLE is a bargain for CCW ammo compared to the 9BP in my opinion.

SCmasterblaster
11-14-2012, 07:58
Yes, for the negligible price difference the 9BPLE is a bargain for CCW ammo compared to the 9BP in my opinion.

I am going to look for 9BPLE at the gun show this Saturday.

unit1069
11-14-2012, 11:29
I am going to look for 9BPLE at the gun show this Saturday.

If you don't find it at the gun show at a decent price you can always order it online for less that $18/box of 50. I usually find gun show ammo more expensive that what's sold on the Internet.

SCmasterblaster
11-14-2012, 12:18
If you don't find it at the gun show at a decent price you can always order it online for less that $18/box of 50. I usually find gun show ammo more expensive that what's sold on the Internet.

There is usually a hefty shipping charge when one orders ammo over the internet. That $18 ends up being about $25. I will look for it at the gun show for $25 or less (the last time I got it for merely $20), and I won't have to wait for the shipping.

Jim Watson
11-14-2012, 14:23
9BP may not be the fastest or the most expansive round on the market, but it is accurate and RELIABLE in every gun I have shot it in.
I just have trouble facing the time and expense to qualify The Bullet Of The Month in my defense guns. Something they will probably change next month anyhow.

I will try some BPLE in my full size guns, but the plain BP is all the fun I want in my CW9

SCmasterblaster
11-14-2012, 14:38
9BP may not be the fastest or the most expansive round on the market, but it is accurate and RELIABLE in every gun I have shot it in.
I just have trouble facing the time and expense to qualify The Bullet Of The Month in my defense guns. Something they will probably change next month anyhow.

I will try some BPLE in my full size guns, but the plain BP is all the fun I want in my CW9

The 9BPLE shoots a 115gr bullet at over 1300 FPS. The bullet expands very well at that velocity, The 9BP load is anemic in comparison.

unit1069
11-14-2012, 17:06
There is usually a hefty shipping charge when one orders ammo over the internet. That $18 ends up being about $25. I will look for it at the gun show for $25 or less (the last time I got it for merely $20), and I won't have to wait for the shipping.

I normally buy at least a half-dozen boxes of ammo when I order ammo on the Internet and the more I buy the lower the shipping cost per box. That usually works out to $2/box which is okay with me since I don't have to pay for gas.

Ammo prices at the guns shows I've been to have always been on the high side and the only time I've bought any was when a boutique maker had 100 rounds of Speer 125-grain Gold Dot for $41. I looked at it closely and the nickle plated brass was also Speer; and the company rep said the powder used is the same as what Speer uses. In the only backyard test I've ever done three separate rounds penetrated into the third jug and all three bullets mushroomed perfectly, even though the rep told me it was somewhat downloaded for .357sig ammo (1300 fps).

SCmasterblaster
11-14-2012, 18:40
I normally buy at least a half-dozen boxes of ammo when I order ammo on the Internet and the more I buy the lower the shipping cost per box. That usually works out to $2/box which is okay with me since I don't have to pay for gas.

Ammo prices at the guns shows I've been to have always been on the high side and the only time I've bought any was when a boutique maker had 100 rounds of Speer 125-grain Gold Dot for $41. I looked at it closely and the nickle plated brass was also Speer; and the company rep said the powder used is the same as what Speer uses. In the only backyard test I've ever done three separate rounds penetrated into the third jug and all three bullets mushroomed perfectly, even though the rep told me it was somewhat downloaded for .357sig ammo (1300 fps).

So I should buy several boxes of ammo online to spread out the shipping charge. Makes sense.

unit1069
11-14-2012, 20:46
So I should buy several boxes of ammo online to spread out the shipping charge. Makes sense.

I never buy a single box of ammo from online sources because there is a fixed shipping charge that could be as much as half the cost of premium JHP ammo (or more). Most reputable Internet ammo sources will allow you to see the shipping charge before the final click of the mouse.

For example, if you buy one box of 50 rounds the shipping charge might be $10-$12 whereas if you buy 3 boxes the shipping charge stays the same. I don't remember for certain but the last time I purchased premium JHP self-defense ammo it was four boxes of ammo I'd been looking for a long time, and the shipping was $13. That was the only time I purchased less than five boxes on an Internet order.

byf43
11-15-2012, 09:28
Federal 9BP and 9BPLE ammunition is very good stuff.

Both rounds are 'wicked' when used against some 'terrorist' watermelons and pumpkins that invaded my local range.

Compared to Federal HST or Speer Golden Sabre or Gold Dot. . . . take your pick.

SCmasterblaster
11-15-2012, 11:48
I never buy a single box of ammo from online sources because there is a fixed shipping charge that could be as much as half the cost of premium JHP ammo (or more). Most reputable Internet ammo sources will allow you to see the shipping charge before the final click of the mouse.

For example, if you buy one box of 50 rounds the shipping charge might be $10-$12 whereas if you buy 3 boxes the shipping charge stays the same. I don't remember for certain but the last time I purchased premium JHP self-defense ammo it was four boxes of ammo I'd been looking for a long time, and the shipping was $13. That was the only time I purchased less than five boxes on an Internet order.

Good advice - thanks!