Btf [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Btf

Idaho Spud
11-05-2012, 09:38
Have a new FDE G23 gen 3 that I've only put 160 or so rounds thru and have experienced 3 BTF issues. When I say BTF I don't mean flying up and bouncing off the top of my head or down my shirt; I mean coming out of the ejection port like a line drive and popping me in the forehead, with some velocity. The first was a bit disconcerting, but this happened yesterday twice in around 50 rounds and I'm really irritated.

I knew of this issue when I bought this gun, but, stupid me, I bought it anyway. Gonna contact Glock today and air my gripes.

These are not gamer loads, they work and function perfectly in my SR40. Shoulda stuck with Ruger. The more I think about this the hotter I get so better stop. BP's gonna be thru the roof.

larson1122
11-05-2012, 10:41
160 rounds? I think I would go shoot it some more before coming to any conclusions.

Idaho Spud
11-05-2012, 10:58
This issue's been mentioned many times on this site, if not this very forum. In all my years I've never had this happen. Sure, I've had the occasional looping flare that lands in the shirt collar, etc. I just thought It'd be different for me. That's what ya get for thinking. In 20 rounds the same thing happened (once)to my wife, but she's a limp-wrister and it landed in her hair. This thing does not eject to the side, but everything lands behind at about the 5 o'clock position, but helter-skelter. Ya better make sure you're wearing eye-protection ( I did) cuz the danger isn't just shooting debris, it's also flying brass. Say what you want, this shouldn't be, even in a new gun..

Maybe I need to take up percussion handguns. No issues with brass, at least. (that's a joke) Actually I have an 1851 Navy on the way.

donovan655
11-07-2012, 07:11
This issue's been mentioned many times on this site, if not this very forum. In all my years I've never had this happen. .

Although not a real polishing procedure, I've had luck with rubbing the extractor down with a small wire brush.

TheExplorer
11-07-2012, 07:15
I don't know if I've gotten used to it or not, but it was a shock the first time it happened. Apex is working on a 40 extractor as we speak.

SCmasterblaster
11-07-2012, 18:57
This phenom is usually with the Gen 4 Glocks.

RRP
11-07-2012, 19:30
Have a new FDE G23 gen 3 that I've only put 160 or so rounds thru and have experienced 3 BTF issues.
~

Consider yourself fortunate.

My week-old G19 throws more than 3 BTF, per mag. All ejections are feeble and erratic. Many hit my wrist or forearm. The ones that have a bit more velocity hit my face.

With such erratic ejection, stovepipes are a real concern. No way would I trust my life to this Gen4 Glock19.

Glock continues to sell products, based on its past reputation of "perfection". But that will change quickly, as the public becomes aware of how widespread the Brass-to-Face problem is.

Idaho Spud
11-07-2012, 19:41
It's also reported in the late Gen 3's which mine is, born on date @Sept 2012. This gun is brand-new and I don't feel I should have to spend 60-70 bucks to make a new gun work correctly.

That being said, I did a T&E on a LWD GT Hole barrel which passed my admittedly limited test with my own cast boolits (Lee 401-175-TC) and for some reason I had no BTF issues with it. Not enough rounds to really wring it out, but I'd buy it, based on my findings.

SCmasterblaster
11-07-2012, 19:42
Consider yourself fortunate.

My week-old G19 throws more than 3 BTF, per mag. All ejections are feeble and erratic. Many hit my wrist or forearm. The ones that have a bit more velocity hit my face.

With such erratic ejection, stovepipes are a real concern. No way would I trust my life to this Gen4 Glock19.

Glock continues to sell products, based on its past reputation of "perfection". But that will change quickly, as the public becomes aware of how widespread the Brass-to-Face problem is.

Sorry to see this. It seems that Glock didn't research this problem in the development stage. Big mistake.

Idaho Spud
11-07-2012, 20:19
If they'd only have left perfection alone.

SCmasterblaster
11-07-2012, 20:28
If they'd only have left perfection alone.

True. This BTF stuff began with the Gen 4s.