New Gen 3 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : New Gen 3

TommyOC
11-05-2012, 12:40
Hey guys, new member here. I've done a search about the differences between the gen 3 and 4 glock 17s, and it seems as though a lot of people prefer the 3/have problems with the 4. About 3 weeks ago I purchased a glock from a local gun range. It was a brand new G17. After poking around on this sight, I saw some stuff about recalls on the Gen 4 glocks (i figured mine was a gen 4 because I had just purchased it). So I checked my recoil spring assembly to find that I was sold a Gen 3. Does anyone find it odd that I was sold a Gen 3 over a Gen 4 when I bought it only a few weeks ago and the Gen 4s have been out so long? I also noticed another shop in Socal selling Gen 3s over the 4s as well.
No complaints at all, and absolutely love my Gen 3, just thought this was a little odd. Thanks for the opinions/help in advanced!

jtrudel31
11-05-2012, 13:08
Hey guys, new member here. I've done a search about the differences between the gen 3 and 4 glock 17s, and it seems as though a lot of people prefer the 3/have problems with the 4. About 3 weeks ago I purchased a glock from a local gun range. It was a brand new G17. After poking around on this sight, I saw some stuff about recalls on the Gen 4 glocks (i figured mine was a gen 4 because I had just purchased it). So I checked my recoil spring assembly to find that I was sold a Gen 3. Does anyone find it odd that I was sold a Gen 3 over a Gen 4 when I bought it only a few weeks ago and the Gen 4s have been out so long? I also noticed another shop in Socal selling Gen 3s over the 4s as well.
No complaints at all, and absolutely love my Gen 3, just thought this was a little odd. Thanks for the opinions/help in advanced!
Congrats on your purchase. In the future , be sure to research
your guns so you know exactly what your getting. There is plenty of videos and pics showing differences between a gen 3 and a gen 4. For starters if you were getting a gen 4 it would have been stamped on the left side of the slide. The gen 3 is still a great choice , enjoy

TommyOC
11-05-2012, 13:12
I did know that the newest model would be the Gen4, it was just my mistake in figuring hey if I buy one now, it's most likely a gen 4. But again, I have zero regrets and love my Gen 3 so far. Now I just need to figure out what night sights i want ;)

brickboy240
11-05-2012, 13:39
I would NOT buy a newly made gen 3 and hope to avoid the problems that the gen 4s are having.

The recently made Gen 3s have the same problems....mine sure does.

-brickboy240

jjslice
11-05-2012, 13:55
no nothing unusual, just go out and shoot it

dango
11-05-2012, 13:56
I have lost count on how many rnds. fired and just love that gun...!

jjslice
11-05-2012, 13:58
are Gen4's on the CA roster of "safe" firearms? Gen4's dont have a magazine disconnect

brickboy240
11-05-2012, 13:59
Many of us recent gen 3 owners did not START having problems until about round number 800-1000.

Before then...yeah...I was digging my G19. Now...not so much.

-brickboy240

Bruce M
11-05-2012, 18:16
Enjoy your G17. I believe that the Gen4 guns are not available in CA. But I might be wrong on that.

TommyOC
11-05-2012, 18:49
Enjoy your G17. I believe that the Gen4 guns are not available in CA. But I might be wrong on that.

Per a message from another user, you're absolutely right :) no longer a worry or problem for me :)

TommyOC
11-05-2012, 18:50
Many of us recent gen 3 owners did not START having problems until about round number 800-1000.

Before then...yeah...I was digging my G19. Now...not so much.

-brickboy240

I've probably put about 600 rounds through mine in 2-3 weeks. During the 10 day period, the place I bought it has a range and you can go shoot it. Put 200 through it then and about 400-500 since. What kind of problems have you experienced? Only one I have is it discharging cases back at me with the cheap federal ammunition, but im almost positive that that is because of the cheap ammo (based on reviews on it)

TxGlock9
11-05-2012, 20:00
You got lucky with your purchase this time.. Next time do a little more research.. Good thing they didn't sell you a hi point.. :supergrin:

OhioGlock90
11-05-2012, 20:22
I agree with what every one else has said! you need to research what you are about to purchase!! In my area new Glocks are $520 and i would not go shell that out before knowing about it. Just my opinion

TommyOC
11-05-2012, 20:44
Again, I admit I didn't realize it was a gen 3 vs a 4. But that fact wasn't super important to me anyways. I researched various types of guns before I purchased. I went to the range and shot round through about 6 or 7 of the different guns before making my decision. I went based on the information I know/was given about each of the guns, along with (primarily) how each one felt to me. I went with the G17 because it felt the best in my hand and the most accurate of the ones that I shot.
FWIW I didn't just go in, say hey give me that g17, buy it and walk out. I researched, then tested multiple guns before I purchased anything

bac1023
11-05-2012, 20:58
:welcome: and congrats

TommyOC
11-05-2012, 20:58
However, thanks for all the helpful replies, next time I will def do more homeowork! :)

TxGlock9
11-05-2012, 21:54
Again, I admit I didn't realize it was a gen 3 vs a 4. But that fact wasn't super important to me anyways. I researched various types of guns before I purchased. I went to the range and shot round through about 6 or 7 of the different guns before making my decision. I went based on the information I know/was given about each of the guns, along with (primarily) how each one felt to me. I went with the G17 because it felt the best in my hand and the most accurate of the ones that I shot.
FWIW I didn't just go in, say hey give me that g17, buy it and walk out. I researched, then tested multiple guns before I purchased anything

Good for you, really..

Bruce M
11-06-2012, 07:09
To me the big advantage of a Gen4 is the ability to change the grip size but since I like the "standard" grip I am perfectly fine with the third generation Glocks. Some have even suggested that the current third generation guns are better than the Gen4 guns although I suspect that is more personal choice than the result of any emprical testing.