New Tauruses (Tauri?) finally hitting the road [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : New Tauruses (Tauri?) finally hitting the road

Dukeboy01
11-05-2012, 12:41
I'm sorry, FoMoCo, it's a @#$%ing Taurus.

Anyway, they're finally hitting the streets of Lex Vegas. Pics at the link.

http://www.kentucky.com/2012/11/05/2396653/lexington-police-add-ford-police.html

razdog76
11-05-2012, 21:54
We are replacing half of our fleet with them. The brush guards have yet to be delivered. I admit that I was very skeptical, but after looking at the way the trunk is set up with a shelf for electronics, my only concern is changing out a tire, since the spare is under the trunk floor requiring everything be removed to get the spare out. Maybe my concern comes from my cruiser having had six flats this year.

Even the plain jane version has 20 HP more than the CVPI, in a smaller car. Fortunately I only arrest dwarfs and kids, so I am not concerned about trying to shoe horn a normal size person in the back of the car.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h269/razdog76/othr/Image10232012161621.jpg

Agent6-3/8
11-05-2012, 22:15
We're going to them as we'll. About1/3 or so of patrol has them now. General impression is they handle better and are quicker than the CVPI even with the non-turbo V6. Other than that I hear lots of complaint about not being able to a see out the rear, doors not opening far enough, seat position in relation to the door post and the console too high seem to be the most typical. None of ours have cages yet either. I'll give them this, they sure look cool with our new paint scheme!

I'd like to get a chance to drive one but my shift won't get ours until next year sometime.

Posted from my iPhone 4s via Outdoor Hub mobile

Dukeboy01
11-05-2012, 22:22
At the rate we're getting them lately, it'll be ten years before all the Crown Vics are in our fleet are retired.

razdog76
11-05-2012, 22:57
Mine is six years old, and was issued to two other Deputies before me. It rolled over 150k earlier this week, and I have put more than 52k miles on in the last two years.

All of the CVPI's we have are dogging it maintenance wise. By the end of next year all of ours will be stricken from the inventory

msu_grad_121
11-05-2012, 23:18
We're getting 2 of the Taurus based ones and 2 of the SUVs, but God only knows when. My phase 1 FTO at this department was all giddy about the car, saying it was quick and handled great. Then again, she's 5'4 ish and medium build. I've got more of a 6' tall linebacker physique, so even the CVPI's feel a little cramped at times. I dunno, I guess we'll see...

In our city, though, they make sense. We have a no pursuit policy for basically everything less than attempted murder, and no highway in our jurisdiction, so top end isn't a huge concern.

From what I hear, they're going to a new graphics scheme with the upcoming vehicles, so that'll be good, too. Our current one is pretty lame. Oh well, I won't get to touch the wheel of one anytime soon, so I'm not worried about it.

Morris
11-06-2012, 07:09
Regardless, I like Lexington's clean graphics package.

kayl
11-06-2012, 07:11
My phase 1 FTO at this department was all giddy about the car, saying it was quick and handled great. Then again, she's 5'4 ish and medium build. I've got more of a 6' tall linebacker physique, so even the CVPI's feel a little cramped at times. I dunno, I guess we'll see...

I'm 6'4", 230 and the taurus has more leg and headroom for me. I suppose it depends on which partition your department goes with though.

Cav
11-06-2012, 16:58
A local agency bought 20+ Caprices. They then stated on the news they were to small and they will not buy anymore. They mentioned the Tahoe being bought next.

We got the Chargers and the trunks are a joke as is rear vision and seating is not loved.

We plan to get at least one Tahoe to carry set equipment and kick getting the Taurus. Major issue for the Taurus is the name. Our plain clothes guys used the old ones and when new cars came in the Fusion replaced most. Our Deputy Chief was given a take home 2003 or older Taurus and he hates it. One new Taurus was given to a OCU Sgt and he like it a lot but not so much to have it taken away...

I think the Taurus AWD turbo and Tahoe are the best things going right now.

Boot Stomper
11-06-2012, 18:29
I hope they are better than the Crown Vic. The Crown Vic they were turning out towards the end were crap, IMO. We have had issue after issue from transmissions to electrical to engine parts. The Taurus is in our future, but have not seen one as of yet.

Boot Stomper
11-06-2012, 18:33
We are replacing half of our fleet with them. The brush guards have yet to be delivered. I admit that I was very skeptical, but after looking at the way the trunk is set up with a shelf for electronics, my only concern is changing out a tire, since the spare is under the trunk floor requiring everything be removed to get the spare out. Maybe my concern comes from my cruiser having had six flats this year.

Even the plain jane version has 20 HP more than the CVPI, in a smaller car. Fortunately I only arrest dwarfs and kids, so I am not concerned about trying to shoe horn a normal size person in the back of the car.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h269/razdog76/othr/Image10232012161621.jpg

My PD will not let us change a tire. We do not even have spares in the car. If we have a flat, call a tow and they fix it. Good deal.

razdog76
11-06-2012, 19:15
My PD will not let us change a tire. We do not even have spares in the car. If we have a flat, call a tow and they fix it. Good deal.

I have a personally owned floor jack, tire chalks, 4-way, and a toolbox... I make a bunch of warrant arrests stopping to help people. :supergrin:

boomhower
11-06-2012, 20:18
I have a '12 Charger and I really like it but I wouldn't mind giving a Taurus a shot, the AWD would be nice in the winter.

SPDSNYPR
11-06-2012, 20:50
I'm pretty sure I couldn't cram my fat ass into the new Taurus. And we haul people in the back daily.

Tahoe=love.