G34 for duty carry [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : G34 for duty carry

vanilla_gorilla
11-05-2012, 16:51
I currently carry an M&P 9mm and a G26 for a BUG. I have a Gen 3 G34, and am considering switching to the G34, mostly for commonality of mags. There's certainly nothing wrong with the M&P, so it's not for any emergency reason or issue.

Anybody suggestions or comments on it? I will be using a Safariland 6360 and TLR-1, if matters.

Glock Holliday
11-05-2012, 17:07
Why not? One of my coworkers carries a G35 and he's a pretty good shot with it. If I was restricted to 9mm I'd probably carry my G34.

DaBigBR
11-05-2012, 18:50
Shoot what you are most comfortable and confident with. There is nothing wrong with commonality of magazines, but ultimately you should be carrying what you shoot best with and have the most confidence in.

If it happens to be the M&P, then so be it. Think about an M&Pc to replace the G26 if that's the case. If it's the G34, go with it.

rockapede
11-05-2012, 19:10
Shoot what you are most comfortable and confident with. There is nothing wrong with commonality of magazines, but ultimately you should be carrying what you shoot best with and have the most confidence in.

If it happens to be the M&P, then so be it. Think about an M&Pc to replace the G26 if that's the case. If it's the G34, go with it.

I wish more departments shared this logic. Mine, you can carry pretty much whatever you want in any reasonable caliber for a patrol rifle....but oh lordy the sky would fall if anyone carried anything but the issued G22. It's the old "what if you're in a firefight and another officer needs a mag?" argument. I've pointed out (to no avail) that 1) that's almost never, ever happened and 2) the likelihood of needing to share mags would probably be mitigated by everyone carrying what they shoot best with. This is another issue (just like dashcams) that won't change until the current admin retires.

vanilla_gorilla
11-05-2012, 20:18
rock, I agree with you.

The thing is, I shoot slightly better with the M&P, but I have absolutely zero doubt that a day or two of practice with the Glock would bring it to the fore. Either would be ridiculously easy to qualify with on our short bus state-mandated qual.

Decisions, decisions. At least I have a few months to decide and order my new holster (if needed) before next scheduled qual.

lawman800
11-05-2012, 23:07
I switched from a G21 to the G34 and couldn't be happier. I love the big bullet but the recoil and subsequent follow up shot recovery time was very different with the 9mm even if we were shooting super hot +P+ 9mm versus regular pressure 45.

I was able to do controlled pairs rapidly and keep moving at a natural pace with the G34 instead of having to catch up half a second later all the time with the bigger recoiling 45.

The extra ammo capacity is also nice, as is magazine interchangeability with the G26 for off duty.

I was glad to finally make the switch, shoulda done it sooner.

Poohgyrr
11-06-2012, 08:12
the old "what if you're in a firefight and another officer needs a mag?" argument.

Ummm, lets see... You had all this time to improve your sucky skill with a handgun, and choose not to. And, you even refused all of our offers to help you. Now, you want to waste all my ammo too. Hmmmm. Ahhh, NO!

:)

I went to a G35 when the old #2 in command decided my G23 (that shoots better for me) didn't look the same as the G22 carried by some (not all) other Officers...... The G34 shoots well for a lot of folks, if it works for you then I would say fine. :)

vanilla_gorilla
11-06-2012, 10:08
Ummm, lets see... You had all this time to improve your sucky skill with a handgun, and choose not to. And, you even refused all of our offers to help you. Now, you want to waste all my ammo too. Hmmmm. Ahhh, NO!

Thankfully, for the time being, my admin agrees with you.

Cochese
11-06-2012, 13:53
I carried a G34 for four years or so. It was awesome. I have a G17 now but the 34 was good to go.