Bolt Carrier Group -- Know A Cheap Source? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Bolt Carrier Group -- Know A Cheap Source?

USMCsilver
11-05-2012, 18:38
I'm in need of a BCG.

Like the title says: do you know anywhere that's very reasonable? I don't need the latest, greatest whiz-bang engraving done on the thing; I just need something functional.

Thanks in advance. :wavey:

bigmoney890
11-05-2012, 18:42
Redxarms.com
They have some inn-stock for $99. They have a spotty reputation, but they're cheap

AR15hardware.com
I bought a CMT FA BCG last night from them, heard pretty good things about CMT, and the price was right at $115.

IGotIt
11-05-2012, 18:52
core15.com

Foxtrotx1
11-05-2012, 18:58
http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=BCG-BCM&reference=/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi%3Fsearch%3Daction%26keywords%3Dgroup%20bolt%20carrier%26searchstart%3D0%26template%3DPD GCommTemplates/FullNav/SearchResult.html

Mayhem like Me
11-05-2012, 19:36
I love these guys..

http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Search_a/241.htm?q=bolt+carrier+group&Submit.x=27&Submit.y=14

USMCsilver
11-05-2012, 19:42
http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=BCG-BCM&reference=/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi%3Fsearch%3Daction%26keywords%3Dgroup%20bolt%20carrier%26searchstart%3D0%26template%3DPD GCommTemplates/FullNav/SearchResult.html

Thanks, but I said CHEAP. :dunno:

This is for a beater truck gun.

III_M1KE_III
11-05-2012, 21:50
AR15hardware.com
I bought a CMT FA BCG last night from them, heard pretty good things about CMT, and the price was right at $115.

Damn. That's a good deal! Jest spent $144 on PSAs FA BCG. Wish I found this deal first!

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

JimBianchi
11-05-2012, 22:58
Bravo Company had them last month $169 delivered.

Mine is excellent.

11-06-2012, 01:00
Bravo Company had them last month $169 delivered.

Mine is excellent.
He already said "cheap", twice.:supergrin:
Btw, $169? Bought mine for $159.

faawrenchbndr
11-06-2012, 03:47

The BCG is the HEART of the rifle,......why cheap out over $20 or $30. :dunno:

Foxtrotx1
11-06-2012, 04:30

You don't have to be rude about it. That's about the cheapest that kind of quality comes in.

Foxtrotx1
11-06-2012, 04:31
Damn. That's a good deal! Jest spent $144 on PSAs FA BCG. Wish I found this deal first!

There is a reason those are so cheap.

mjkeat
11-06-2012, 09:35

Exactly.

JimBianchi
11-06-2012, 11:04
He already said "cheap", twice.:supergrin:
Btw, $169? Bought mine for $159.

I'd heard they were $159, but could not find it cheaper than $169.

BC is one of the best and the bolt carrier id the heart of the gun, going cheap here is the last thing you should do.

I have a "bubba" gun that is a mish-mash of so-so to excellent parts. Less than $600, includes the BC carrier.

Runs as well as my colt SP1.

USMCsilver
11-06-2012, 11:30
You don't have to be rude about it. That's about the cheapest that kind of quality comes in.

No rudeness there. I said "thanks" but then reiterated that I wanted "CHEAP".

I appreciate the help. I am sure everyone has a different definition of "cheap". :wavey:

That Core15 seems to have all the same requirement specs of higher priced BCGs...

While I understand the BCG being the heart of the rifle, I just don't see how one can be leaps and bounds better than another. I've shot probably 50 different ARs/M16s and don't ever recall a problem due to a BCG. I'm pretty sure none of those ever had a Bravo Company BCG in it.

DaleGribble
11-06-2012, 13:44
I have a BCM bcg that functions Just like my CMT bcg.

It's my understanding that Tool Craft makes BCG's for all the large manufacturers so I don't get all the posts that preach BCM. BCM Palghetto, LMT, et al are all probably rolling off the same assembly line.

G23Adam
11-06-2012, 13:50
I have a BCM bcg that functions Just like my CMT bcg.

It's my understanding that Tool Craft makes BCG's for all the large manufacturers so I don't get all the posts that preach BCM. CMT, BCM Palghetto, LMT, et al are all probably rolling off the same assembly line.

Yep.

This is why I use PSA BCGs now. When I found out they are made by the same folks bringing us the BCM bolts I bought a couple.

TactiCool
11-06-2012, 15:25
RGuns has a complete BCG for $105. Not sure how well it would perform though.

http://www.rguns.net/gunparts/rifle-parts-AR-uppercomponents-OperatingSystemComponents.shtml

KalashniKEV
11-06-2012, 15:55
While I understand the BCG being the heart of the rifle, I just don't see how one can be leaps and bounds better than another.

...and now you're about to find out!

This kind of crap makes my head explode.

This is what you're looking for:

DD @ $149

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Daniel-Defense-Bolt-Carrier-Group-MPI-Auto-M16-p/dd%209300.htm

bmoore
11-06-2012, 16:03
I'm in need of a BCG.

Like the title says: do you know anywhere that's very reasonable? I don't need the latest, greatest whiz-bang engraving done on the thing; I just need something functional.

Thanks in advance. :wavey:

I get what you are saying but if you can afford it buy a quality BCG. You don't need the moon dust coated 269 dollar ones but a BCM, LMT or Daniel Defense BCG would be a good decision.

Made in Austria
11-06-2012, 16:13
A little off topic, I know, but I want to get rid of it. I ordered two BCM BCG in the last 6 months. The first on I ordered is different than my second BCM which I have ordered about two weeks ago.

The first one has a thicker parkerizing on it. It's so thick that you can't even see the machining. The inside of the carrier is extremley rough machined. The carrier has no serial markings on the side. That thing feels and looks cheap, just like my DPMS BCG I have laying around. The crome lining inside the carrier where the bolt slides in had a pretty big rust spot on it which was coming from the bolt. EDIT, the staking is also different. The staking looks rather round and does not have a nice contact with the fasteners. The staking from the other one is more squared and has a greater contact surface with the fasteners.

The second one is a totally differnt animal, the finish is better/finer, it has a serial # on it, the whole BCG appears to be of much better quality. The second BCM matches over all the very good reviews people are reporting 100%. My first one not so much.

The first one works great so far. But it makes me wonder who actually made the first one. I don't think it's a real BCM. This tells me that BCM buys BCG's from somewhere else if they can't keep up with the demand, or their machining is inconsistent which is not a good sign.

I'd say buy what ever you can afford. The times where you get what you pay for are over.

USMCsilver
11-06-2012, 16:58
The first one works great so far. But it makes me wonder who actually made the first one. I don't think it's a real BCM. This tells me that BCM buys BCG's from somewhere else if they can't keep up with the demand, or their machining is inconsistent which is not a good sign.

I'd say buy what ever you can afford. The times where you get what you pay for are over.

Goes to show, Fanboys are not always right. :whistling: (I am not calling you a "Fanboy".)

bmoore
11-06-2012, 17:07

That is some scary advice if people actually listen to it.

USMCsilver
11-06-2012, 17:14

Then explain the reasoning for his above post, as you interpret it.

He got two items that were supposed to be the same. One is not the same as the other.

Both cost the same.

Both are supposed to be the same.

So...in essense, his sentence is 100% accurate.

bmoore
11-06-2012, 17:22
Then explain the reasoning for his above post, as you interpret it.

He got two items that were supposed to be the same. One is not the same as the other.

Both cost the same.

Both are supposed to be the same.

So...in essense, his sentence is 100% accurate.

I think its bunk. Anyone with a brain to recognize how much different one BCG was than the other one would have fired an Email and sent that thing back. Post some pics of the poor staking and finish, post some pics of the rust spot.

The Pirate
11-06-2012, 17:25
Buy whatever you want. I've owned 10+ bcg's over the last 10 years, and haven't had a problem yet. I've had cheapo's and top end and can't tell a difference from shooting. One may break sooner than the other, who knows.
I do feel that anyone that owns an AR and doesn't have a spare BCG is not prepared, or maybe they just don't care and can wait a few days for a replacement.

Made in Austria
11-06-2012, 17:38

I don't necessarily disagree with you. I am a high quality buyer all my live, not only when it comes to guns. Pretty much every device I own is high quality stuff. I don't like to cheap out on stuff which I use a lot and are important.

But since around 2007-2008 I noticed that something has changed. And that is that you don't get what you paid for anymore. I don't talk about every company, but there are a lot which are starting to try out a different business model. I mean look at Glock and other gun manufacturers like, S&W. The S&W shield .40 which drops the mag while firing since they released them a while ago, for example. It takes those companies forever to fix something because they simply don't care much. I mean I understand if it's a CD Rom drive or something, but we are talking about live safing devices here. That's just what I have experienced lately. I normaly don't talk great about myself, but I must say, my sense for quality is excellent.

USMCsilver
11-06-2012, 17:44
Buy whatever you want. I've owned 10+ bcg's over the last 10 years, and haven't had a problem yet. I've had cheapo's and top end and can't tell a difference from shooting. One may break sooner than the other, who knows.

I'm glad some people "get it".

I do feel that anyone that owns an AR and doesn't have a spare BCG is not prepared, or maybe they just don't care and can wait a few days for a replacement.

I own several rifles, I have one or two spare bolts, but just no carriers anymore. I kinda got outta the game for a while and sold off a bunch of spare parts. Lesson learned.

I don't necessarily disagree with you. I am a high quality buyer all my live, not only when it comes to guns. Pretty much every device I own is high quality stuff. I don't like to cheap out on stuff which I use a lot and are important.

I am the same way, when I really think that it matters. Here, I really don't think that it matters much. :embarassed:

bigmoney890
11-06-2012, 18:12
Well considering that the OP stated it would be a beater truck gun, it probably won't be used very much. So it probably won't matter what BCG you get. That being said, murphey's law is a *****!

USMCsilver
11-06-2012, 18:20
Well considering that the OP stated it would be a beater truck gun, it probably won't be used very much. So it probably won't matter what BCG you get. That being said, murphey's law is a *****!

It really is a catch-22, or double-edged sword, or whatever cliche you wanna attach to it.

Spend a lot on some nice stuff, and have it get stolen or never have to use it.

Or, have to use it in some odd, extreme situation and have it fail.

Yeah, F-you, Murphey.

bigmoney890
11-06-2012, 18:34
Yeah, F-you, Murphey.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I have a 870 and Glock 35 that are my hd/sd option, so I skimped on my bcg and barrel. This rifle will never have to save my life one day, so a CMT BCG is good enough for me. Not that CMT is low quality, but it certainly was $40 cheaper than BCM.

Well if I were ever going to rely on this rifle to potentially save my life one day, i'd pony up the extra cash and go for quality. Better than have it and not need it than need it and not have it!

USMCsilver
11-06-2012, 18:54
Better than have it and not need it than need it and not have it!

...until it gets stolen. :whistling:

bigmoney890
11-06-2012, 18:56
Very true

bigmoney890
11-06-2012, 18:59
Just got the email from Joebob's on Mil-spec bcg's in stock

http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/JoeBobOutfitters_Premium_Complete_AR15_BCG_p/jb-premiumbcg.htm?utm_source=JoeBob+Subscribers&utm_campaign=5e1a87be5f-BCG%2FLowers&utm_medium=email

You better hurry if you want one

USMCsilver
11-06-2012, 19:02
Just got the email from Joebob's on Mil-spec bcg's in stock

http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/JoeBobOutfitters_Premium_Complete_AR15_BCG_p/jb-premiumbcg.htm?utm_source=JoeBob+Subscribers&utm_campaign=5e1a87be5f-BCG%2FLowers&utm_medium=email

You better hurry if you want one

It's either this one or the Core15.

Thanks.

bigmoney890
11-06-2012, 19:07
I'm not trying to hurry you or anything, but these are likely to sell out very quickly.

You might want to check out the link I posted in the second or third post from AR15harware.com. I got the CMT FA BCG and i've heard great things about CMT

USMCsilver
11-06-2012, 19:26
I'm not trying to hurry you or anything, but these are likely to sell out very quickly.

You might want to check out the link I posted in the second or third post from AR15harware.com. I got the CMT FA BCG and i've heard great things about CMT

I'll probably decide before the night's over. Thanks again. I see Joe Bob ships free. :)

bigmoney890
11-06-2012, 19:28
Anytime :wavey:

USMCsilver
11-06-2012, 19:42
Anytime :wavey:

It's on the way. :supergrin:

GlockRWH
11-06-2012, 19:47

Absolutely. :agree:

bigmoney890
11-06-2012, 19:52
It's on the way. :supergrin:

Glad I could help, hope it works out for you, especially since I ordered the same one lol

I ordered Sunday night, and it shipped this morning. I'm happy with that.

USMCsilver
11-06-2012, 19:59
Glad I could help, hope it works out for you, especially since I ordered the same one lol

I ordered Sunday night, and it shipped this morning. I'm happy with that.

I'm sure it'll do just fine. :wavey:

Foxtrotx1
11-06-2012, 21:15
No rudeness there. I said "thanks" but then reiterated that I wanted "CHEAP".

I appreciate the help. I am sure everyone has a different definition of "cheap". :wavey:

That Core15 seems to have all the same requirement specs of higher priced BCGs...

While I understand the BCG being the heart of the rifle, I just don't see how one can be leaps and bounds better than another. I've shot probably 50 different ARs/M16s and don't ever recall a problem due to a BCG. I'm pretty sure none of those ever had a Bravo Company BCG in it.

I must have read the post when I was in a bad mood, my apologies.

The difference comes in when you start racking up the round counts. Lugs shearing off or breaking at the cam pin hole prematurely does happen. 40 bucks is worth the near guarantee it won't happen for me. Improper heat treating can make a bolt brittle and break within a few hundred rounds.

bigmoney890
11-07-2012, 20:27
Glad you got one, they're out of stock now!

USMCsilver
11-07-2012, 21:47
Glad you got one, they're out of stock now!

Yeah, go figure...:whistling: Lots of stuff outta stock lots of places.

I reckon I had good timing. Thanks again, everybody! :wavey:

arushus
11-08-2012, 17:17
Take a look at these, they're supposed to be as good as it gets...I dont have any personal experience with them, but everything Ive read has been VERY positive! When I get the extra money to buy a spare, Ill probably grab one of these.
http://global-tactical.com/thunderboltpremiumarboltcarriergroup.aspx

Ruggles
11-08-2012, 18:42
Had a hard time finding one in the past 24 hours. Had one on back order from Midway but that was cancelled by them today. Finally found one from Bronwells:

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/bolt-parts/bolt-carrier-parts/bolt-carriers/ar-15-m16-bolt-carrier-groups-prod27650.aspx

Chrome version.

$185 was more than I wanted to spend but it's a nice BCG and it's in stock so I went with it.

I have a standard DD BCG and it it well made so I expect this one to be as well.

Crazy but it's starting to be 2008 all over again.

I just bought a new upper on Tuesday night cause I was bummed about the election (and I have always wanted a Dissipator) and wanted to make myself feel better. Well that and I had a topless upper in the safe :)

Now it's complete.

USMCsilver
11-08-2012, 21:13
Take a look at these, they're supposed to be as good as it gets...I dont have any personal experience with them, but everything Ive read has been VERY positive! When I get the extra money to buy a spare, Ill probably grab one of these.
http://global-tactical.com/thunderboltpremiumarboltcarriergroup.aspx

Interesting. May give them a look in the future.

This is from their site:

I am so sure these are the best Bolt Carrier Groups available they each carry a limited lifetime warranty. The only exceptions to the warranty are intentional abuse and normal wear on the gas rings. So if your Thunder Bolt breaks in normal use I will replace it.

Hummerbike
11-08-2012, 21:31
http://redxarms.com/

$99 delivered. I bought one. It works great.

Bow Commander
11-08-2012, 22:51
I, too have a Redx BCG in my AR and it has been 100%. Appears to be machined well.

I see you bought one already but wanted to add my experience with Redx.

Foxtrotx1
11-09-2012, 02:38
Those thunder bolts are made by Rainier Arms. Life time warranty. The new ones do not have the markings on them.

They are good to go :cool:

11-09-2012, 03:06
Those thunder bolts are made by Rainier Arms. Life time warranty. The new ones do not have the markings on them.

They are good to go :cool:
Nope. Someone else made them for RA. There are very few actual makers of BCGs. But I'm sure you already knew that.

Foxtrotx1
11-09-2012, 03:21
Nope. Someone else made them for RA. There are very few actual makers of BCGs. But I'm sure you already knew that.

Sorry, distributed by. It's late. http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=2012

arushus
11-09-2012, 21:56

Can anyone attest to their quality? Obviously the guy who is making them stands behind them, with his lifetime replacement policy, and for $135 that is a hell of a deal, IF they are all theyre cracked up to be....

Mayhem like Me
11-09-2012, 23:44
Can anyone attest to their quality? Obviously the guy who is making them stands behind them, with his lifetime replacement policy, and for $135 that is a hell of a deal, IF they are all theyre cracked up to be....

I can tell you i have them in three builds excellent quality.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

arushus
11-10-2012, 00:32
Thanks a bunch!

Foxtrotx1
11-10-2012, 03:08

Anything RA puts their name on (not the stuff they sell for other companies) is great. They are a very reputable company.