Anyone Try The White Sound HRED? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Try The White Sound HRED?

freekshow001
11-05-2012, 18:54
Starting to get ejection issues with my Gen4 17 and was thinking of giving this a try, just wondering if anyone else has tried it and did it cure BTF?
http://glockparts.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=126833&CAT=708

ron59
11-05-2012, 19:41
I think Arc Angel said it did for his, that thread is what caused me to buy one.

I have it... haven't installed it yet though.

Arc Angel
11-05-2012, 22:07
The White Sound H.R.E.D. rod will improve things for you; but, in my experience, once extractor/ejector problems start to show up, at the very least, you're going to need a new extractor along with a new SLB spring and bearing in the EDP setup. If you don't have a #30274 ejector, get one of those, too.

Unless Glock GmbH/Inc. starts producing a superior extractor to the piece-of-crap extractor they've got in their pistols, now, we are all going to be forced to do business with Apex Tactical.

INEEDMILK
11-06-2012, 03:19
Any other reports on this?

faawrenchbndr
11-06-2012, 04:01
Any other reports on this?

I'll let you knowin a few days

INEEDMILK
11-12-2012, 02:52
I'll let you knowin a few days

I just got mine in the mail. Installed it and it seems extremely stiff...

I will get a chance to test it out on Tuesday, but was curious what your experiences have been.

TTex
11-12-2012, 06:38
I put one in the wife's Gen 4 19 along with a Lone Wolf extractor, the results were not that impressive. She had serveral fly at her, and I had 2 or 3 hit me in the face or land right on top of my head.
We went to the range this weekend with the OEM extractor and the White Sound H.R.E.D. I could live with the results, but my wife (I bought the pistol for her) still had trouble with that setup. We worked on her technique and things improved so I will say technique is a factor, but there is room for improvement in the pistol as well. She had a couple hit her forcefully in the forehead, and I had one graze my right eyebrow.
As I said if it were just me I think I could accept one in a hundred as acceptible (if not undesireable), but I still think there is room for improvement. At this point I'm looking at either a factory .40 extractor or more likely the Apex Product. I'm still have to wonder though if the problem might improve as the parts wear in or if the problem will progressively get worse.

Arc Angel
11-12-2012, 07:40
Lone Wolf's current batch of replacement extractors do NOT work to solve Glock's BTF problems. Unfortunately it's expensive Apex Tactical extractors and springs, or nothing. As you now know, the H.R.E.D. rod, all by itself, will only improve and not completely eliminate your problem.

(Thanks, Gaston!) :steamed:

voyager4520
11-12-2012, 15:12
I tried the .40 HRED in my Gen3 G27 that ejected erratically. For me it made very little difference, ejections were more forceful but it did not change how erratic they were. What fixed the ejection in that gun was a "Gen4" .40 28926 ejector installed into the Gen3 trigger housing and a replacement extractor in combination with the factory EDP assembly. I have not tried the HRED in combination with the new ejector and extractor.

INEEDMILK
11-13-2012, 01:18
Got a chance to try out the HRED tonight and I must say that it is drastically improved from the OEM extractor plunger.

The shells were still thrown randomly between 3 and 5, but none of them came back to me. Also, all ejections were very, very strong. Overall I am quite happy with this $20 addition.

Info:

Glock 19 Gen4 born-on 12-2011

Using all stock internals (including dipped LCI OEM generic Glock extractor)

200 rounds of Sellier and Bellot 115gr

thetoastmaster
06-17-2013, 20:32
Not to bump too old a thread, but it beats creating a new one, has anyone tried the H.R.E.D in conjunction with the Apex extractor? White Sound Defense's site recommends using the H.R.E.D in conjunction with an LCI extractor. The Apex is not an LCI. Will it still work? What kind of performance can I expect? I like the idea of the H.R.E.D; and I also like the Apex extractor, despite the price.

Will they work together?

Thanks.

kenndapp
06-18-2013, 08:00
Not to bump too old a thread, but it beats creating a new one, has anyone tried the H.R.E.D in conjunction with the Apex extractor? White Sound Defense's site recommends using the H.R.E.D in conjunction with an LCI extractor. The Apex is not an LCI. Will it still work? What kind of performance can I expect? I like the idea of the H.R.E.D; and I also like the Apex extractor, despite the price.

Will they work together?

Thanks.
Would like to hear about this too.

TTex
06-18-2013, 11:30
Sorry I never actually bought the Apex part, a factory non-dipped extractor seems to have fixed my problem, but if I did buy the Apex extractor I would have used the White Sound H.E.R.D.

ninjag19
06-18-2013, 18:50
I have that rod and Apex extractor in my G19gen4 and that combo works very well even with the mag removed!

ninjag19
06-18-2013, 18:52
Oh yea, the later #30274 ejector is a must also!

kenndapp
06-18-2013, 19:28
I have that rod and Apex extractor in my G19gen4 and that combo works very well even with the mag removed!

that is good to hear. i read one or two reports of the apex extractor coupled with the HRED beaming guys in the face still......only much much harder. if for some reason i am not satisfied with the apex set up alone... i may attempt to "double down" on good extraction parts by adding the HRED.

thetoastmaster
06-22-2013, 14:59
Yeah, I am looking to try one out, as soon as I get an opportunity to try the Apex. I have it installed in a 2002 vintage G17. Call it me being paranoid about reliability. If my example passes the "1911 test" without the HRED, I will leave it be; but if it doesn't I may install and HRED and 30274 ejector.