Dedicated .22 lr uppers? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Dedicated .22 lr uppers?

Cole125
11-05-2012, 22:31
I was thinking about getting a CMMG .22 lr conversion kit, but the more I think about it the more I'd rather have a real .22 barrel for optimal accuracy.

I've just started looking into dedicated .22 lr Ar15 uppers, so I know nothing about them. Educate me on which is a good one to get, and which ones to avoid.

:wavey:

JDennis
11-05-2012, 22:36
Answered in your other thread. Stay away from the chiappa, ati, or a simple bolt conversion. CMMG is ok but not great. Buy a DPMS or Nordic

Cole125
11-05-2012, 23:05
Thanks for the input, saw your other post. I've been reading about the DPMS .22 upper and it is getting very good reviews.

LA_357SIG
11-05-2012, 23:10
I had a Tactical Solutions M4 upper. It had some extraction issues that cleared up during the first 200-250 rounds. Functionally, it ran well. About as well as bulk ammo and Black Dog Magazines will let it. I shot my friend's complete CMMG a few times without malfunction.

Pros and cons vs the CMMG:
CMMG is cheaper in price but has a removable chamber adapter, but includes a BHO and chamber adapter locking lug.
TacSol has a one piece barrel and feedramp, costs more, doesn't have a BHO but IMO has the better BCG.

With price being the deciding factor, I would go with the CMMG... But the TacSol is more reliable (less parts to fail, but less extra features)

faawrenchbndr
11-06-2012, 03:50
Tactical Solutions upper is outstanding.
Spikes Tactical is a great upper as well.

Cost is higher than a conversion, but the pros far outweigh the cons

AtlantaR6
11-06-2012, 05:56
Dumb question, but will all of them work on a S&W sport lower?

wct097
11-06-2012, 08:20
I have the CMMG dedicated upper on a standard AR lower. Works great with no issues to date. Very happy with it and it's fun to shoot.

JDennis
11-06-2012, 08:33
Dumb question, but will all of them work on a S&W sport lower?

I run my DPMS upper on my S&W lower sometimes, works great. Some uppers have issues if you have the notched hammer. My S&W and my Stag have the rounded hammers

Chuck TX
11-06-2012, 09:18
^ yeah don't use a notched hammer.

2 Tac Sol builds here.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c347/BodhisattvaNosferatu/AK-AR/TacSolAR-22.jpg

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c347/BodhisattvaNosferatu/AK-AR/TacSolAR-22LR.jpg

Both have ran smooth even with super dirty old crap ammo. Mostly shoot Fed bulk pack now.

Cole125
11-06-2012, 11:51
I run my DPMS upper on my S&W lower sometimes, works great. Some uppers have issues if you have the notched hammer. My S&W and my Stag have the rounded hammers

Dennis, does the DPMS .22 upper have spare parts available for it?

Also is it true that Nordic makes the parts for the DPMS upper?

From what I gather Nordic uppers are the best design to date as far as dedicated .22 uppers go, so I've a DPMS is a rebranded Nordic I'm sold.

JDennis
11-06-2012, 11:56
Yes, everything is replaceable on the DMPS upper. And since you asked, they are Nordic uppers. The only difference between them is the Barrel and flash hider are DPMS and the Nordic barrels are stainless. The Dpms barrel even got super high remarks from competitors.

Edit: With the dpms make sure to do a break in period on it. The one thing the nordic has over the dpms is they hand polish the feed ramps prior to assembly so they are ready to go out of the box. DPMS doesn't so after intial break in, the accuracy improves (mine was incredibly accurate out of the box). You can pull the barrel off the upper and polish it yourself if you want and not need to break it in, but I misplaced my amorers wrench and using rounds to do it for me.

Cole125
11-06-2012, 12:11
Good to know, the DPMS look like the way to go. Their 5.56 stuff is not exactly well regarded on this forum, but their .22 upper looks like a different deal.

Midwayusa has the DPMS backordered until end of the month, and I cannot find a Nordic in stock anywhere, so either way I'll have to wait. I'm going to do a little more research before pulling the trigger but the DPMS is high on my list.

JDennis
11-06-2012, 12:22
Here you go Cole

DPMS in stock

http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/DPMS_AP4_16_22LR_Complete_Upper_Receiver_BA_22_p/dpms-ba-22-ap4.htm

The Nordics will not be in stock anywhere until the very earliest Christmas. Straight from the Horses Mouth. I am a big Nordic fan, they were the ones that convinced me to buy the DPMS one. DPMS 5.56 stuff seems to be hit or miss, but Nordic made stuff you can't go wrong with.

I had a slow day at work and checked EVERYWHERE to see where DPMS were in stock and even Nordic till I decided to call them. As far as I know joe bobs is the only place that has them in stock. You can wait a bit to find it for 400 elsewhere but joe bobs gave me a free upper storage plate and a hoody, and the shipping was free. So was worth it to pay the 20 extra.

Cole125
11-07-2012, 10:39
:bump: Anyone else run dedicated .22 lr uppers? What brand and how do you like them?

I am still torn between the DPMS and CMMG...