A "civilian" would like LE opinion [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : A "civilian" would like LE opinion

banjobob
11-06-2012, 06:18
I was driving on I 10 in west texas where speed limit is 80, all of a sudden cars are ahead of me are slamming on brakes.

Turns out its a Kimble county Sheriff in the "fast" lane traveling 50 mph, 30 below posted speed limit, radaring oncoming traffic. People were braking and rapidly changing lanes to avoid the unexpected and much slower vehicle ahead.

I know he was radaring because my detector was going off and this was the second time I have seen this in the same county.

My question is: was I wrong to assume that this particular peace officers motivations were more about revenue generation than public safety?

Is there anything that a safety conscience citizen without a vote in that county can do to help a fellow citizen avoid a MVA caused by a law enforcement officer breaking the law?

Was he really breaking the law, how did this officers actions help public safety, assuming my assertions are correct?

Just curious if I'm off base,

Thanks

trdvet
11-06-2012, 06:40
You're off base, this would be a great thread for GNG.

TBO
11-06-2012, 06:43
1. You accused him of breaking the law.
2. You asked if he was really breaking the law.

Additionaly you attribute his perceived actions/intent to revenue.

Sent from the toe of my jack boot using Tapatalk 2

trdvet
11-06-2012, 06:48
Please tell us the amount of the fine that goes to the state, municipality, county and the PD. Also, please tell us the method in which you gathered the speed of the cop car.

sheriff733
11-06-2012, 06:51
No, I was completely within the guidelines of departmental policy and procedure.

Sent with Probably Cause and Irrisputable Proof.

steveksux
11-06-2012, 06:54
I'm assuming the goal was to reach a turnaround and get on the other side of the freeway to go after someone.

I think it makes more sense to do 50 so you don't have to really lock up the brakes at 80 to make the turnaround once you spot it coming up. As surprising as coming up on someone doing a constant 50 in the left lane, imagine the chaos of someone doing 50 in the left lane because they were just doing 80 and slammed on the brakes, and are simply passing through 50 on the way to doing 10mph as quickly as possible to get on the shoulder to turn around.

I think it makes more sense to do so in the left lane since that's where you enter the turnaround, rather than doing 50 in the right/center lane and trying to get over to the left lane once you spot the turnaround coming up.

50 vs 80 makes sense. Left lane vs right lane makes sense.

And that's... the rest of the story.

Randy

indigent
11-06-2012, 07:46
Popcorn anyone???

stk10767
11-06-2012, 08:13
If you truly think, for even one second, that cops are at all concerned with 'revenue generation', you are SEVERELY MISTAKEN.

indigent
11-06-2012, 08:18
If you truly think, for even one second, that cops are at all concerned with 'revenue generation', you are SEVERELY MISTAKEN.

I'm concerned with it.....

If the city owned electric company doesn't generate any revenue, I might not get paid....

banjobob
11-06-2012, 08:20
if I was doing the same thing would it be reasonable to expect that I would be ticketed or at least stopped? If driving significantly below the posted speed limit is not a safety issue than why would the state legislature pass the following:

545.363. MINIMUM SPEED REGULATIONS. (a) An operator
may not drive so slowly as to impede the normal and reasonable movement of traffic, except when reduced speed is necessary for safe operation or in compliance with law.

If it creates a safety issue for a private citizen to do so than how does a law enforcement officer doing the same not create an equally dangerous situation?

Bren
11-06-2012, 08:24
My question is: was I wrong to assume that this particular peace officers motivations were more about revenue generation than public safety?

My experience as a peace officer was that I would never even have known the city got money from tickets and arrests if I hadn't asked somebody about what some of the fees were that the judge read off to people in court. I certainly didn't get any extra money from it and neither of the 2 departments I worked for ever encouraged more tickets or mentioned the subject.

My father retired from the state police, my brother is a state trooper and some other family members have been city, state and county police. Not once have I ever heard anybody mention writing tickets for revenue, in my 46 years. Troopers keep track of "activity" but stopping to assist a motorist or giving a warning or answering a complaint counts just as much as writing a ticket.

This seems to be shocking to civilians, but the cops I know risk their lives, work as much as 36 straight hours (maybe more, that's just an example I know) in all kinds of weather, get hurt, run until they literally fall down, because they think it's the right thing to do and they have the personal pride that makes them do it. That applies to saving lives and catching felons and it applies to writing traffic tickets.

Don't understand it? Then you probably won't ever understand cops, firemen, soldiers, etc.

banjobob
11-06-2012, 08:25
Please tell us the amount of the fine that goes to the state, municipality, county and the PD. Also, please tell us the method in which you gathered the speed of the cop car.

I have no idea about where the money goes once a fine is paid but I am fairly sure it does not disappear.

I should not have made a comment about revenue generation, it has obviously become a distraction from what I really was curious about which was the safety issue.

I guessed the speed by looking down at my speedometer when I passed the officer. It read 60mph and he was going considerably slower. It was just a guess, not an exact scientific measurement.

indigent
11-06-2012, 08:27
if I was doing the same thing would it be reasonable to expect that I would be ticketed or at least stopped? If driving significantly below the posted speed limit is not a safety issue than why would the state legislature pass the following:

may not drive so slowly as to impede the normal and reasonable movement of traffic, except when reduced speed is necessary for safe operation or in compliance with law.

If it creates a safety issue for a private citizen to do so than how does a law enforcement officer doing the same not create an equally dangerous situation?

Does it list what "normal and reasonable movement of traffic" is....?

Were you able to move around him in the right hand lane?

What safety issue was he creating? Specifically

CAcop
11-06-2012, 08:30
A lot of guys working radar equiped cars just turn them on and leave them on. Just because your detector was going off does not mean he was looking for tickets to write. For all you know he could have been sent to look for a body (drunks have a habit of turning up in very bad places to be when drunk) on the side of the road and slowed down to look for it. Zooming past at 80mph you aren't going to see much and even if you do you will be in the next county before you can turn around.

banjobob
11-06-2012, 08:45
You guys have convinced me, I'm wrong.

A car going at a significantly different speed than the flow of traffic and the posted speed limit (~30mph) offers no increased risk for a MVA, unless it is 5mph above the speed limit.

Bren
11-06-2012, 08:52

A car going at a significantly different speed than the flow of traffic and the posted speed limit (~30mph) offers no increased risk for a MVA, unless it is 5mph above the speed limit.

It doesn't if people drive like they are supposed to. That they have to slam on their brakes because they aren't paying attention is a reflection on them, not the cop. Nothing like a road full of stupid people looking for somebody else to blame.

imaguy3
11-06-2012, 08:53

A car going at a significantly different speed than the flow of traffic and the posted speed limit (~30mph) offers no increased risk for a MVA,

ok, yea I would say it could increase the chances of a MVA if the people behind him are texting or doing makeup or playing scrabble, rather than watching the road ahead of them and maintaining the proper safe distance behind the cars in front of them...

However, as everyone else has posted here, there are any number of reasons he was doing that, all of which were his job. So if you have a problem with us having to take risks doing our job (b/c it's never anyone's fault for not watching the road and paying attention when they drive), then by all means leave.

imaguy3
11-06-2012, 08:53
wow Bren, we think alike... you just think a little quicker haha

Bruce M
11-06-2012, 09:00
It is not a question of convincing you that you are wrong but rather needing to know more of what he was doing.

It has been suggested that there might be any of several tasks he could have been doing that have nothing to do with monitoring the speed of oncoming traffic. Several people have suggested that at the field level many officers do not even know how much of the revenue of an individual citation is returned to the agency or municpality, nor do they care.

To play devils advocate I would have guessed that on an interstate defense system limited access highway for the speed limit to be 80 the road must be rather open and straight such that drivers should have sufficient forward view and should be watching for hazards far enough away such that no one should have to stumble upon an unexpected hazard.

That said if he was traveling at appreciably less than the speed of other cars, with a few exceptions, he probably should have had some warning lights if for no otehr reason that to try and minimize his chances of being hit.

Bruce M
11-06-2012, 09:08
oops double tap

Roman774
11-06-2012, 09:10
My question would be, if he was doing something other than running radar why didn't he have his overheads on? Isn't that what they are there for, to get peoples attention?

As to looking for a turn around, most of I10 in west Texas is long, straight and flat. Virtually anywhere in the median is used as a turnaround.

If writing tickets doesn't generate revenue for departments, counties or municipalities, then please let me know what charities the money from the tickets go to.

GlockEm
11-06-2012, 09:56

545.363. MINIMUM SPEED REGULATIONS.
(a) An operator may not drive so slowly as to impede the normal and reasonable movement of traffic, except when reduced speed is necessary for safe operation or in compliance with law.

Read the next section in the Transportation Code.

Sec. 545.365. SPEED LIMIT EXCEPTION FOR EMERGENCIES; MUNICIPAL REGULATION.
(a) The regulation of the speed of a vehicle under this subchapter does not apply to:
(1) an authorized emergency vehicle responding to a call;
(2) a police patrol; or
(3) a physician or ambulance responding to an emergency call.
(b) A municipality by ordinance may regulate the speed of:
(1) an ambulance;
(2) an emergency medical services vehicle; or
(3) an authorized vehicle operated by a blood or tissue bank.

rockapede
11-06-2012, 10:05
Read the next section in the Transportation Code.

Sec. 545.365. SPEED LIMIT EXCEPTION FOR EMERGENCIES; MUNICIPAL REGULATION.
(a) The regulation of the speed of a vehicle under this subchapter does not apply to:
(1) an authorized emergency vehicle responding to a call;
(2) a police patrol; or
(3) a physician or ambulance responding to an emergency call.
(b) A municipality by ordinance may regulate the speed of:
(1) an ambulance;
(2) an emergency medical services vehicle; or
(3) an authorized vehicle operated by a blood or tissue bank.

That only applies in emergency situations (lights and siren), at least in my state.

rockapede
11-06-2012, 10:09

People like you with your "reasoning" are why I don't even attempt to justify my stops and cites as being important for any other reason than to enforce the law. I don't write stop sign violations because they're unsafe, I write them because they're illegal. Speed is the same. You do something more blatantly illegal, you're more likely to get the cite. Unless you can point out some other TX statute specifying a minimum speed, especially since you have NO IDEA what the purpose behind the officer's actions was, go away.

You came in here with a chip on your shoulder and asked a loaded question. Good luck with that.

series1811
11-06-2012, 10:19

A great example of "me" thinking. "If I want to drive above the speed limit and break the law, anyone complying with the law and the speed limit is a threat to my safety."

msu_grad_121
11-06-2012, 10:21

Obvious troll is obvious.

I swear, you have to be the worst Reid technique dropout in the world. "Is there any justification for this illegal activity? Well, it WAS illegal, wasn't it? I mean, I think its illegal, cuz I got all butthurt about it."

Posts like this really make me want to go into GNG or something and post a thread about what a private citizen's justification is for open carrying or some such. Doesn't matter that there's no law against it in many places, it offends my delicate sensibilities, therefore I shall shake my fist at the heavens and go to a place I know to be populated by those on the other side of the issue and demand an explanation. Seems logical...

Bren
11-06-2012, 10:31
My question would be, if he was doing something other than running radar why didn't he have his overheads on? Isn't that what they are there for, to get peoples attention?

Do the police just drive around with their lights on, where you live? Here, they are emergency equipment and they are either used to tell traffic to pull off the road and come to a complete stop, as the law requires, or they may be used on a parked car as a hazard warning. If he was just driving along slowly with emergency equipment actiated, every car in front of him would be required to pull off the road and stop, which isn't very practical.

If writing tickets doesn't generate revenue for departments, counties or municipalities, then please let me know what charities the money from the tickets go to.

I don't know about other states, but here the agency/city/county gets about $10 or $20 per ticket - most of the money goes to the state revenues and various programs or funds run by the state, or to the court system. The police and local government don't get any brownie points for it - there may be some book keeper around the capitol who even knows which cities bring in the most money, but I've never heard back about it. Since they are not getting any huge share of the money, most places aren't that concerned. Where I've worked, the mayors, sheriffs and county judges are more concerned with holding down police activity, because it can make voters mad.

RussP
11-06-2012, 10:33
Guys, play with the ball for a while, don't unravel the string all at once :tbo:

Sent from the toe of my jack boot using Tapatalk 2Sorry...

I was driving on I 10 in west texas where speed limit is 80, all of a sudden cars are ahead of me are slamming on brakes.Could you please provide a little more information?

Was this in the daytime or nighttime.

TBO
11-06-2012, 10:40
Guys, play with the ball for a while, don't unravel the string all at once :tbo:

Cubdriver
11-06-2012, 10:54
Do the police just drive around with their lights on, where you live? here, they are emergency equipment and they are either used to tell traffic to pull off the road a come to a complete stop, as the law requires, or they may be used on a parked car as a hazard warning. If he was just driving along slowly with emergency equipment actiated, every car in front of him would be required to pull off the road and stop, which isn't very practical.

They all seemed to when I was in Puerto Rico for a friend's wedding/vacation a few years ago. That really threw me at first, because up here it means pull over.

That being said, aren't most light bars nowadays capable of running either front or back or both? In a case like that (for instance as someone suggested, looking for a drunk or perhaps a turnaround) where the situation dictates traveling much more slowly than normal traffic, wouldn't it make sense to run the back side of the light bar to warn those coming up from behind, and not the front so as not to cause those ahead to pull over and stop?

-Pat

imaguy3
11-06-2012, 10:55
Do the police just drive around with their lights on, where you live? here, they are emergency equipment and they are either used to tell traffic to pull off the road a come to a complete stop, as the law requires, or they may be used on a parked car as a hazard warning. If he was just driving along slowly with emergency equipment actiated, every car in front of him would be required to pull off the road and stop, which isn't very practical.

We have the ability to just turn on the rear lights ("wig-wags" some call them) to warn of hazards ahead... For example one morning was especially foggy, could barely see a couple car lengths ahead... so since I was on the interstate and driving considerably slower than the speed limit, I turned them on and hopefully it also caused the people that may have been behind me to slow b/c of the lights.

People out here also have a really bad habit of stopping at the top of an entrance ramp onto the highway (speed limit 65) to wait and merge, meanwhile you have people speeding up on the ramp to merge not paying attention... In these cases I'll turn on my lights then too to hopefully grab their attention before it's too late...

I really hate stupid drivers

imaguy3
11-06-2012, 10:59
In a case like that (for instance as someone suggested, looking for a drunk or perhaps a turnaround) where the situation dictates traveling much more slowly than normal traffic, wouldn't it make sense to run the back side of the light bar to warn those coming up from behind, and not the front so as not to cause those ahead to pull over and stop?

-Pat

it all depends... he may have had a reason for not using them, or he may have been so focused on what he was looking for he forgot... he could also just have horrible officer safety...

it's even possible he turned them on and the switch got bumped off without him realizing (it's happened to me before, only I accidentally turned them on without realizing, couldn't figure out why everyone was pulling over haha)...

S*** happens sometimes...

TBO
11-06-2012, 11:11
Some do, some don't.

trdvet
11-06-2012, 11:35
As soon I hear "revenue generation" I know the argument is BS. The OP already stated he didn't know the speed and doesn't know how many funds actually go to the municipality. Instead someone who is ignorant on facts turns on the troll signal and they come running.

Bren
11-06-2012, 11:36
They all seemed to when I was in Puerto Rico for a friend's wedding/vacation a few years ago. That really threw me at first, because up here it means pull over.

Maybe that's where the TV writers picked up that crap - did you ever see the low budget shows or movies where the police just drive around town with their lights on during routine patrol?

gsotec
11-06-2012, 11:50
In most places especially on the interstate highways 15 under the posted speed limit is considered impeding traffic, however most moving radars have a maximum combined or closing speed for the radar to operate. The officer patrol speed is deducted from the combined or closing speed and the radar seperates the two so in an 80 mph zone assuming you were trying to catch violators in excess of 90 mph you would have to maintain a lower patrol speed to allow the radar to function as designed.

janice6
11-06-2012, 11:57
I have passed police cars that were driving slower than I was. As long as I am legal, They can drive whatever speed they want. I only make sure I pass properly and legally.

I have never been stopped or upset for being within the law.

gsp174
11-06-2012, 12:06
I know he was radaring because my detector was going off and this was the second time I have seen this in the same county.

RADARING? How does that work

MY DETECTOR.......

I wasted too much time already.

TBO
11-06-2012, 12:15
Looks like he ran scurried away.

GRIMLET
11-06-2012, 12:31
Interstate travel is restricted to 40mph minimum in Mississippi. I don't know about Texas. It would seem odd to have dissimilar laws on a federal interstate. But Im not a hardtop cop with the latest NHTSA info.

imaguy3
11-06-2012, 13:44
Interstate travel is restricted to 40mph minimum in Mississippi. I don't know about Texas. It would seem odd to have dissimilar laws on a federal interstate. But Im not a hardtop cop with the latest NHTSA info.

Each State does set it's own limits, even though it's a Federal Interstate... The speed limits are nothing more than the gov't saying "set it to this or we take away funding"... (same thing with the drinking age being set to 21, each state can change it if they want, but they'll probably lose funding)

In the area of I-10 I live at our speed limit is 75mph, while in the city of Tucson it's 65mph...

We don't have a "minimum" speed limit set on our section of I-10, however we do have a statute that says you can't travel less than what's reasonable/prudent for the conditions.. subsection E of this statute (subsection A is our regular speeding statute too btw) The speed limits are considered to be "reasonable/prudent".
http://www.azleg.gov/ars/28/00701.htm

I'm proud of myself, as I have actually written both the speeding (28-701a) and traveling to slow (28-701e) cites to the same driver at the same time :whistling:

unfortunately he didn't fight it so I couldn't prove my case to the judge :crying:

Late at night (very little traffic) I was on I-10 doing 70 in a 65, he came running up hard behind me, then stopped at my passenger side quarter panel refusing to pull alongside or pass me. So I coasted expecting him to stay at speed limit, nope... I was all the way down to 45 in a 65 and he wouldn't pass me, so I hit the brakes and flipped on my lights :tongueout:

RussP
11-06-2012, 14:08
I'm proud of myself, as I have actually written both the speeding, 28-701a, and traveling to slow, 28-701e, cites to the same driver at the same time :whistling:

unfortunately he didn't fight it so I couldn't prove my case to the judge :crying:

Late at night (very little traffic) I was on I-10 doing 70 in a 65, he came running up hard behind me, then stopped at my passenger side quarter panel refusing to pull alongside or pass me. So I coasted expecting him to stay at speed limit, nope... I was all the way down to 45 in a 65 and he wouldn't pass me, so I hit the brakes and flipped on my lights :tongueout:Now, that there is funny...:rofl:

ray9898
11-06-2012, 14:33
There are a million reasons he could have been doing what he was doing and 99.9% of those have nothing to do with 'radaring'. However, when the conversation starts with 'revenue generation' you know this is more of a 'poke the cop' situation than it was wanting genuine opinions.

GRIMLET
11-06-2012, 16:06
Slowest guy I stopped on I10 was 15 mph. He was hammered. He was already 5x dui. It wasn't a good day for him.

rockapede
11-06-2012, 16:18
So, if I've followed the thread correctly, we've established that since the piggy was driving slowly, he must have been drunk off his *** and trying to cover it up by running his radar AND, as a bonus, generating some extra ticket revenue to get his shiny new jack boots?

Sounds a lot like last Thursday.

Cav
11-06-2012, 16:29

Texas has a over 45 mph for highway use clause.

Most police use instant on for radar. As in they spot a speeding vehicle and when they turn it on, they set off your detector and lock in your speed, then the radar goes back to off, with your speed locked on the display. Its the display that we see and wont show you... But how many still use radar and leave it on at all times.

My opinion is that a driver of a vehicle shall occupy the farthest right lane on a multi lane roadway, and should only use the left lane for passing.

Now as a Police Officer in Texas I am willing to work with the OP. I will talk to every fellow officer I meet and let them know not to go 30MPH under the posted speed limit, even though its not really a law, just as soon as you get your fellow drivers to understand that state law says PULL OVER TO FAR RIGHT AND STOP ANYTIME YOU SEE/HEAR LIGHTS AND/OR SIRENS. Or how about SLOW DOWN TO 20MPH UNDER THE POSTED LIMIT WHEN PASSING A STOPPED EMERGENCY VEHICLE. While OP might be ticked by this single event, think about the idiot drivers we put up with every day.

GRIMLET
11-06-2012, 17:26
So, if I've followed the thread correctly, we've established that since the piggy was driving slowly, he must have been drunk off his *** and trying to cover it up by running his radar AND, as a bonus, generating some extra ticket revenue to get his shiny new jack boots?

Sounds a lot like last Thursday.

I was only referring to the 5 time convicted Mexican as being drunk.

TBO
11-06-2012, 17:31

Most police use instant on for radar. As in they spot a speeding vehicle and when they turn it on, they set off your detector and lock in your speed, then the radar goes back to off, with your speed locked on the display. Its the display that we see and wont show you... But how many still use radar and leave it on at all times.

My opinion is that a driver of a vehicle shall occupy the farthest right lane on a multi lane roadway, and should only use the left lane for passing.

Now as a Police Officer in Texas I am willing to work with the OP. I will talk to every fellow officer I meet and let them know not to go 30MPH under the posted speed limit, even though its not really a law, just as soon as you get your fellow drivers to understand that state law says PULL OVER TO FAR RIGHT AND STOP ANYTIME YOU SEE/HEAR LIGHTS AND/OR SIRENS. Or how about SLOW DOWN TO 20MPH UNDER THE POSTED LIMIT WHEN PASSING A STOPPED EMERGENCY VEHICLE. While OP might be ticked by this single event, think about the idiot drivers we put up with every day.

Game, set, match.

Rex G
11-06-2012, 17:39
While I do believe the OP to be a troll, and exaggerating or misrepresenting the facts, one reason I know for a patrol car to drive slower than other traffic is because the officer wants to look closely at what is passing him, or to let a camera, that is linked to plate reader software, scan the plates. The reason may be as innocently simple as a Silver Alert, which is a missing elderly person alert.

Regarding the wisdom of driving too slowly, well, I have generally traveled about 5 MPH below the speed limit, on a freeway, when I wanted cars to pass me, while I get a good look at them.

Driving 30 MPH below the limit seems unwise, but then, I tend to doubt the OP.

jpa
11-06-2012, 17:57
As you passed him, could you ascertain whether he was wearing his hat?

txleapd
11-06-2012, 18:31

Did you read down further, or just stop when you thought you had your answer?

Sec.*545.365.**SPEED LIMIT EXCEPTION FOR EMERGENCIES; MUNICIPAL REGULATION. (a) The regulation of the speed of a vehicle under this subchapter does not apply to:
(1)**an authorized emergency vehicle responding to a call;
(2)**a police patrol; or
(3)**a physician or ambulance responding to an emergency call.
(b)**A municipality by ordinance may regulate the speed of:
(1)**an ambulance;
(2)**an emergency medical services vehicle; or
(3)**an authorized vehicle operated by a blood or tissue bank.

Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 165, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1995.

As you can see, that section of the TC you quoted doesn't apply to a police patrol car.

rockapede
11-06-2012, 18:56
I was only referring to the 5 time convicted Mexican as being drunk.

I know you were, 'twas only a joke aimed at the ridiculous conclusions clueless people jump to.

GRIMLET
11-06-2012, 19:46
I know you were, 'twas only a joke aimed at the ridiculous conclusions clueless people jump to.

Hard to believe ANYONE hatin' on the po-lice in GT. hahahaha

Top_Shot_31
11-06-2012, 21:09
My opinion?

1) You're a troll.

2) This thread is going to get locked.

:popcorn:

jp3975
11-06-2012, 21:12

Isnt it illegal in Texas to drive in the passing lane accept when passing? I have seen signs and known people to get tickets for it.

IMO, if its true that the cop was going 50 in an 80...in a passing lane no less, that's pretty crazy.

I for one would be scared to death to drive 30 under in the passing lane on the interstate.

RussP
11-07-2012, 04:23
Looks like he ran scurried away.

Sent from the toe of my jack boot using Tapatalk 2In that case...

banjobob, here are a few more questions...

What's "all of a sudden", within 100 feet, 200 feet, a tenth of a mile, a half mile of you?
"Slamming on brakes" means they were locking wheels and skidding, what does that mean to you?
And how many cars were in front of you, 10, 20, 50?
Was the "all of a sudden" due to poor observation skills of the other drivers?
How close together were the cars? Were there 6, 8, 10 car lengths between them?
Turns out its a Kimble county Sheriff in the "fast" lane traveling 50 mph, 30 below posted speed limit, radaring oncoming traffic.Okay...People were braking and rapidly changing lanes to avoid the unexpected and much slower vehicle ahead.Did this pack of cars come over a little rise in the road and, BAM, there was the Sheriff?
I'm more familiar with East Texas out I20 toward Tyler, Kilgore and Longview. DPS sits down in those low spots and as you come over the rise, they got you.
A rapid lane change is the responsibility of the driver making that change. I know he was radaring because my detector was going off and this was the second time I have seen this in the same county.
Is there anything that a safety conscience citizen without a vote in that county can do to help a fellow citizen avoid a MVA caused by a law enforcement officer breaking the law?The second time? Why not just call the Sheriff and ask why his deputies do that?
File a complaint with DPS next time you encounter this. Get the license plate number and report a dangerous driver.Was he really breaking the law, how did this officers actions help public safety, assuming my assertions are correct?
Just curious if I'm off base,
ThanksOthers actually in LE have answered that.
:cool:

txleapd
11-07-2012, 04:41
Isnt it illegal in Texas to drive in the passing lane accept when passing? I have seen signs and known people to get tickets for it.

IMO, if its true that the cop was going 50 in an 80...in a passing lane no less, that's pretty crazy.

I for one would be scared to death to drive 30 under in the passing lane on the interstate.

It's not illegal for a police patrol to drive under, over or around the speed limit. There are many parts of the Transportation Code that exempt a police patrol and authorized emergency vehicles from traffic laws.

While you may not like it, it's not illegal. Period. End of discussion about legalities.

Pepper45
11-07-2012, 12:19

Read the rest of the thread. There are any number of a thousand legitimate reasons for him to do that.

He could have been looking for something coming the other way, looking for a turn around, looking for something along the left shoulder or in the median, anything.

Or, he could have left his hat at home, and did exactly those heinous actions, simply to screw with the OP. I guess that since the OP didn't call and ask questions of his local police department/sheriff's office/trooper barracks, and instead posed his silly question to a bunch of anonymous cops, we'll never know for sure, will we?

TBO
11-07-2012, 14:41
The OP's post history shows he just might possibly not hold LE in a positive light.

TreverSlyFox
11-07-2012, 14:42
Just so everyone is perfectly clear about where the fine money goes I will tell you the real secret about it.

It all goes to pay us retired guys so we can blow it on booze, fast horses and loose women. Thank You very much for your contributions !!!!!!!

Bren
11-07-2012, 15:06

Where did you get "passing lane" - it's not in the original post, unless I can't see it for some reason.

imaguy3
11-07-2012, 15:40
Where did you get "passing lane" - it's not in the original post, unless I can't see it for some reason.

I think he's referring to the lane the OP referred to as the "fast lane". Generally speaking you're supposed to stay right and pass in the lanes on the left, making the far left lane on the highway a passing lane...

Cav
11-07-2012, 16:50

No. In Texas you can use what ever lane you want to drive in on a divided highway, UNLESS a traffic control device states other wise (driving laws support slow drivers to the right, and most Texans will go as far as leaving the main part of a roadway to let a faster vehicle pass to the left). If it is posted in black and white "left lane passing only", then pass and merge back to the right.

Now I posted prior about Police w/lights and siren and people shall move to the right and stop. Well if drivers stick to the right, they wont have to worry about faster or slower vehicles in the left lane, unless they are trying to pass. From time to time I get a "customer" that does not seem to under stand what following to close or failing to control speed is.

Its like this, if youre a safe driver and a kid/deer/dog/ball/marked police car is in the roadway and the lead driver stops, you wont rear end the lead driver. So what it comes down to is how safe of a driver are you? Do you have a safety zone? Do you tailgate?

If the Peace Officer was going under 45 MPH then I would say there could be an issue, but if the pack was speeding going over 80 MPH and then they saw a marked police car going 60-70 MPH and panic slowed, then thats not crazy, thats normal for speeders to panic and then try to blame others...

Panzergrenadier1979
11-07-2012, 21:00

Hmmmm. I smell sarcasm disguised as an actual question. :whistling:

When I issue a citation to a driver for a vehicle code violation both a fine and costs are, in fact, generated. They do indeed go to the county/municipality. And no, I do not see a dime or benefit in any conceivable way from these generated funds. My sole motivation for issuing the citation is because it is......(drum roll)...... my job. Pure and simple.

In fact, when I issue a written or verbal warning and send the driver on their way then I've done it all for free.

Also: Did you know that when you call the police after your neighbor's dog defecates in the same front yard that your children play in that the citation issued to him also generates a fine and costs that also go to the county/municipality? And no, the officer doesn't see a dime of that money either.

All of the above can also be said of the kid who smashes your mailbox with a baseball bat and the guy who backs into your parked car in the parking lot of Walmart and then flees the scene. Etc, etc......

If generating fines and costs give you heartburn then don't call the police when you think you need them. Or speed.

Have a nice day. :wavey:

jp3975
11-07-2012, 22:04
Now I posted prior about Police w/lights and siren and people shall move to the right and stop. Well if drivers stick to the right, they wont have to worry about faster or slower vehicles in the left lane, unless they are trying to pass. From time to time I get a "customer" that does not seem to under stand what following to close or failing to control speed is.

Its like this, if youre a safe driver and a kid/deer/dog/ball/marked police car is in the roadway and the lead driver stops, you wont rear end the lead driver. So what it comes down to is how safe of a driver are you? Do you have a safety zone? Do you tailgate?

If the Peace Officer was going under 45 MPH then I would say there could be an issue, but if the pack was speeding going over 80 MPH and then they saw a marked police car going 60-70 MPH and panic slowed, then thats not crazy, thats normal for speeders to panic and then try to blame others...

That's half my point. I wouldnt feel safe driving in the passing lane going 30 under the speed limit. Lots of people arent good drivers, are inattentive, and some will run into you if you're going slow enough on the interstate...or at least brake hard and be right on your tail. A lot of people stay in the passing lane because they generally drive faster than other traffic.

If someone hits you, its on them...but why increase your odds of getting hit?

RussP
11-08-2012, 07:38
Hmmmm. I smell sarcasm disguised as an actual question. :whistling:

When I issue a citation to a driver for a vehicle code violation both a fine and costs are, in fact, generated. They do indeed go to the county/municipality. And no, I do not see a dime or benefit in any conceivable way from these generated funds. My sole motivation for issuing the citation is because it is......(drum roll)...... my job. Pure and simple.

In fact, when I issue a written or verbal warning and send the driver on their way then I've done it all for free.

Also: Did you know that when you call the police after your neighbor's dog defecates in the same front yard that your children play in that the citation issued to him also generates a fine and costs that also go to the county/municipality? And no, the officer doesn't see a dime of that money either.

All of the above can also be said of the kid who smashes your mailbox with a baseball bat and the guy who backs into your parked car in the parking lot of Walmart and then flees the scene. Etc, etc......

If generating fines and costs give you heartburn then don't call the police when you think you need them. Or speed.

Have a nice day. :wavey:That's good...:thumbsup:

Pepper45
11-08-2012, 12:10
That's half my point. I wouldnt feel safe driving in the passing lane going 30 under the speed limit. Lots of people arent good drivers, are inattentive, and some will run into you if you're going slow enough on the interstate...or at least brake hard and be right on your tail. A lot of people stay in the passing lane because they generally drive faster than other traffic.

We've explained that. Several times. Read the thread.

We do many dangerous things. Our job is inherently dangerous. It's why we wear vests and carry guns. They give us special training to manage the danger, but we still get hurt. I'm just getting back to work after being off for three months, for an on the job injury.

Sometimes we can't avoid the danger, and just have to do our jobs. Sometimes that may be driving 30mph under the speed limit in the far left lane of a freeway. Sometimes that's searching a dark building in the middle of the night, when we think there is someone inside who might want to hurt us. But we have to do it.

We usually don't mind telling someone why we do what we do, if they ask. In this particular instance, it's possible that the cop was driving down the highway with his head up his third point of contact. But it's more likely he was doing one of the things described in the myriad answers given here. Those things that are actually what he's supposed to be doing.

Sharky7
11-08-2012, 13:14
I just ran into a "Banjobob" last week. I was passing cars on the shoulder (emergency lights off) trying to catch up to a residential burglar that had just hit a house and was a few cars ahead of me.

The "Banjobob" type didn't like me passing him and began honking, throwing up his hands in the air, and flashing his brights.

Got the bud guy...but while trying to box the guy in coming up to a stop sign (again before we put on lights) the "Banjobob" type flicked me off as he went past.

How great it must be to feel the world revolves around you.

RussP
11-08-2012, 13:24
I just ran into a "Banjobob" last week. I was passing cars on the shoulder (emergency lights off) trying to catch up to a residential burglar that had just hit a house and was a few cars ahead of me.

The "Banjobob" type didn't like me passing him and began honking, throwing up his hands in the air, and flashing his brights.

Got the bud guy...but while trying to box the guy in coming up to a stop sign (again before we put on lights) the "Banjobob" type flicked me off as he went past.

How great it must be to feel the world revolves around you.:whistling: :rofl:

Bren
11-08-2012, 13:59
I think he's referring to the lane the OP referred to as the "fast lane". Generally speaking you're supposed to stay right and pass in the lanes on the left, making the far left lane on the highway a passing lane...

Then he must have edited, because I just read his 4 posts in the thread and it doesn't say that either. He does mention that he passed the officer, but no indication the officer was in the left lane.

I believe the "left lane" discussion was started by steveksux in post #6.

Panzergrenadier1979
11-08-2012, 15:28

How great it must be to feel the world revolves around you.

I think I've met Banjobob as well!!

One of our officers went on a call that sounded like it might go south. He hadn't called for back-up yet, but I pointed my car in his direction and started that way. I was driving 60 in a 45 (For those in GNG, that's 15 over) w/o emergency lights and since it was midnight, the streets were deserted EXCEPT for one SUV in the right lane. After I passed this vehicle in the left lane it suddenly accelerated, got into my lane and began to tailgate me while flashing the hi-beams. Believing that the driver had some sort of emergency I stopped at the next traffic signal. The driver exited before I even opened my door (I almost cleared leather) and ran up to my car demanding to know where I was going and why was I driving over the speed limit. After ordering him back to his vehicle I told him in no uncertain terms (I didn't curse but I was not in a good mood) that I WAS driving to assist another officer but NOW I was wasting time explaining my actions to someone who hadn't the faintest clue what was going on. The driver appeared to be embarrassed and apologized several times. After he came back negative for warrants I asked his permission to get back to work and do my job. Idiot.

My favorite part though, was after the call was cleared I ran the guy through our department records and found that a couple of years ago this same subject called 911 after he entered our Walmart through the Home/Garden entrance sometime before 10pm. When he tried to exit, sometime after 10pm, he found that those doors were now closed (something Walmart does every night at the same time) and he would have to walk 100 feet and use the Market/Pharmacy exit. After arguing with employees he stood his ground and refused to move until an officer arrived on scene. The officer told him to use the open exit and leave.

imaguy3
11-08-2012, 15:40
Then he must have edited, because I just read his 4 posts in the thread and it doesn't say that either. He does mention that he passed the officer, but no indication the officer was in the left lane.

I believe the "left lane" discussion was started by steveksux in post #6.

I was driving on I 10 in west texas where speed limit is 80, all of a sudden cars are ahead of me are slamming on brakes.

Turns out its a Kimble county Sheriff in the "fast" lane traveling 50 mph, 30 below posted speed limit, radaring oncoming traffic. Thanks

I didn't notice any notations on the first post about it being edited... :dunno:

Cav
11-08-2012, 16:55

I can only go off what I know, and what the OP posted.

Most Texas highways/interstates you can land planes on. That means they are flat and have slow turns. An area posted 80 mph's should not have major blind spots or "IV" lines. If I can get the area and mile marker I would love to see how this might be a danger from some mapping views.

All in all I would need to see how this could be a great risk, as Texas has some of the best roadways I have seen in any state. If its marked 70 MPH+ it needs to have a clear line of sight for the driver. Now if your speeding, then yes some roads could be a danger when you happen upon somethings.

txleapd
11-09-2012, 17:28
I think I've met Banjobob as well!!

One of our officers went on a call that sounded like it might go south. He hadn't called for back-up yet, but I pointed my car in his direction and started that way. I was driving 60 in a 45 (For those in GNG, that's 15 over) w/o emergency lights and since it was midnight, the streets were deserted EXCEPT for one SUV in the right lane. After I passed this vehicle in the left lane it suddenly accelerated, got into my lane and began to tailgate me while flashing the hi-beams. Believing that the driver had some sort of emergency I stopped at the next traffic signal. The driver exited before I even opened my door (I almost cleared leather) and ran up to my car demanding to know where I was going and why was I driving over the speed limit. After ordering him back to his vehicle I told him in no uncertain terms (I didn't curse but I was not in a good mood) that I WAS driving to assist another officer but NOW I was wasting time explaining my actions to someone who hadn't the faintest clue what was going on. The driver appeared to be embarrassed and apologized several times. After he came back negative for warrants I asked his permission to get back to work and do my job. Idiot.

Since he was speeding to stay behind you and failing to dim his high beams, by flashing them, I probably would have written him out some tickets...

Something similar happened to me once. I was responding to a backup, and was going about 10-15 over the speed limit. I was in the left hand lane of a highway, and a guy I passed in the middle lane jumped in behind me and followed (a few feet from my rear bumper) for almost 2 miles.

They went code 4 at the scene, so I moved over to the middle lane and slowed so the guy passed me. I lit him up, and pulled him over. His only excuse was that I was speeding too, so I couldn't write him a ticket.

He was wrong. I wrote him for speeding and following too closely.

He kept complaining that I should get a ticket too. I told him that he was more than welcome to write me a ticket. He obviously didn't have a ticket book, so he asked for mine. I told him to get his own. Then I got in my unit and left.

That would get me into soooooo much trouble now.

The funniest part is that he contested the ticket. When he explained what happened the judge told him that was one of the dumbest things he's heard, and fined him the full amounts.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

CLoft239
11-09-2012, 17:41

Here, LE is exempt from Title 47 (traffic) laws AS LONG AS the officer shows due regard for the public's safety, and is operating within the scopes of his duty...

As far as whoever mentioned revenue earlier, I don't know about other counties, but in my county, the sheriff's office sees MAYBE $5 off of each citation, if that. We're not big on running traffic unless somebody is doing something asinine, or endangering other motorists.

We have a high enough call volume which keeps us busy enough not running traffic.

Sent from the Titanic. I named my phone "The Titanic" so when I plug it into the computer it says "The Titanic is syncing".

TBO
11-09-2012, 19:08
The OP is taking his time formulating a reply.
Must be a deep, introspective thinker.