Glock 23 users [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Glock 23 users

waxik
11-06-2012, 06:41
Good day shooters! I am planning to purchase a g23 very soon but read that its recoil is even stronger if not the same as a 1911. Is there any truth in that? Thank you in advance for your replies.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

stingray4540
11-06-2012, 06:54
Not so much stronger, as different. To me, a .45 is more of a push back, which is more pleasant to shoot. The .40 is more like the barrel snapping up and back very sharply. I guess that's the best I can describe it.

I've got a 23c and added a heavier recoil spring, and it is much more comfy to shoot than a stock, uncompensated 23.

Maybe others will have better insight.

LT642
11-06-2012, 07:04
The recoil issue with the .40 SW round isn't as bad as people would lead you to believe. I carry a G23 as a duty weapon and have no issues with it.
If you can I'd rent one and shoot a few hundred rounds through it, this is the best way to see if you like it or not.

waxik
11-06-2012, 07:09
Thanks for your replies! Just a follow up question... Is there a big diff with the recoil of a 19 vs a 23?

4Rules
11-06-2012, 08:15
Yes, there is.

For me, the recoil of .40 from the G23 (when compared to 9x19 from the G19) results in trigger snatch becoming more of an issue. And for many users, myself included, the increased recoil of .40 means that times are markedly slower with the G23 than with the G19, so much so that the G19 - loaded with premium ammunition - seems to be the more appropriate choice. I can shoot my G23, and if I was without a G19 I would choose the G23, but I can shoot my G19 better, and with greater confidence, so the G19 is my first choice.

clarkz71
11-06-2012, 08:25
I think everybody should own both. Why stop at one Glock.:winkie:

Chesafreak
11-06-2012, 08:45
If you are worried about recoil why not just buy a .22 and be done with it? I don't see why everyone gets so worked up over the increased recoil of a .40 over 9mm or .45. I personally don't want to put more bullets downrange in x number of seconds. I'm a civilian, so every bullet I let loose in a self defense shooting has to be aimed, not sprayed because I will be held accountable for any that injure an innocent bystander. If you can get more power out of the same sized pistol, isn't that preferrable? The more I practice, the less I notice recoil.

Just my two cents. Flame on...

SJ 40
11-06-2012, 08:46
My perception of felt recoil difference with say 124 gr. Speer Gold Dots in a G 19 180 gr. Speer Gold Dots in a G 23 is about 15 to 18 percent more felt recoil for the 40 but everyone perceives it differently. SJ 40

clarkz71
11-06-2012, 09:03
If you are worried about recoil why not just buy a .22 and be done with it? I don't see why everyone gets so worked up over the increased recoil of a .40 over 9mm or .45. I personally don't want to put more bullets downrange in x number of seconds. I'm a civilian, so every bullet I let loose in a self defense shooting has to be aimed, not sprayed because I will be held accountable for any that injure an innocent bystander. If you can get more power out of the same sized pistol, isn't that preferrable? The more I practice, the less I notice recoil.

I agree 100%, good post .:thumbsup:

PVolk
11-06-2012, 09:41
My 23c is more snappy but overall has less whallop than my dad's Kimber 1911. Both are comfortable and completely manageable though, so it's a bit of a moot point. They just recoil differently from each other.

MikeG36
11-06-2012, 10:26
Yes. I have both and carry the 23 most of the time. The .40 is more snappy and may take a little practice to get use to but once you do, it's no big deal. Some people don't like the way the .40 shoots so as someone else advised, see if you can rent one and run a few hundred rounds through one before you decide.

The 19 is no slouch. You'd be well armed with either one.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v313/Mike16610/Brothers.jpg

krisspy
11-06-2012, 10:35
While I don't have a 1911 to compare it to, I do think my G23 recoils more than my Stoeger Cougar .45. Generally, I find shooting my G23 .40 to be unpleasant, so 90% of the time I use a LWD 40-9 conversion barrel in it.

F106 Fan
11-06-2012, 10:37
One reason the 1911 is more manageable is that it has a steel frame. The gun is heavy! And it's heavy down low where it helps.

There is no question the .40 is snappy. Go to a range that rents the various guns and try them. Here's a test that anyone can do: Using slow fire at 7 yards, see how tight your group is with a 9mm and then with a .40 S&W. I would almost bet that the 9mm is going to be tighter. It isn't the gun, it isn't the ammo, it's the flinch.

And make sure you are using 'real' ammo. In the .40 S&W try the Federal Classic 180 gr JHP at 990 fps. That's what LE uses around here. I don't know what the equivalent 9mm might be but perhaps you can find something marked 'NATO', probably 124 gr FMJ.

Given that the modern 9mm SD ammo is nearly as capable as the .40 stuff, there is every reason to consider shooting 9mm. It really comes down to hitting the target. You can see where even NYPD had a horrific amount of collateral damage in their most recent highly publicized shooting. You absolutely must hit the target.

In my view, the probability of hitting the target with a 9mm is much higher than with the .40 S&W with only a modest amount of practice. Sure, if you want to run through a few hundred rounds per week for months on end, you'll be a pretty good shooter. But, if 50 rounds is a big day on the range, you're likely to be better with a 9mm than a .40 S&W. BTW, around here LEOs qualify with 50 rounds 4 times per year. That's a walloping 200 rounds per year unless they do some homework on their own dime (and they don't!). I shoot that much or more every time I go out and while I don't shoot as much as I did when I was younger, I still get out a dozen or more times per year.

Try as many guns as you can and then decide. And, no, I don't hate the .40 S&W. I am about to start reloading it and my first batch will be 2000 rounds. I expect to reload 4000 rounds by the end of January. That's because I have 4000 rounds of brass... Guess how I got them! No, they're not 'free-range' brass.

Richard

Roering
11-06-2012, 10:57
The .40 has a little more kick to it. Emphasis on "little". Not a deal breaker and as with any weapon a little practice and you will be good with it.

Giggity-Giggity
11-06-2012, 11:11
The solution:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v171/Gregdog/Pin%20Ups/DSCN3668.jpg

adamrs
11-06-2012, 11:28
I purchased a glock 23 last week and have already gone to town changing the grip. I traded my 17 for it. The recoil is a bit snappier. My 45 xd pushed just as hard but felt smoother. The plan originally was to get a 40 to 9 conv barrel, which I can see my self using most the time. It's manageable and at 20 yards I couldn't see too much difference on accuracy. I train by having my brother load my mags and mix in 1 or 2 dummy rounds to check flinch. Learn to take the recoil instead of fighting it. For reference, shot the 26 side by side with the 23 and the 23 is still much harder. 9mm is more enjoyable to me, probably slightly quicker on the follow up but to each his own. Can't go wrong with either.

davsco
11-06-2012, 13:49
well first of all you need to compare apples to apples. a g23 is chambered for .40 S&W. a 1911 may be chambered for 9mm, .40, .45 or others. with an equal caliber, i think you will find a 1911 format to be more ergonomic (combo of thinner and beavertail let you get a great grip) and also heavier than the same caliber in a glock. both these will give you less felt recoil in a 1911 over a glock. but the glock has a bigger grip because of the increased magazine capacity. so it's a trade off and you have to figure out what you want more.

all that said, the g23 is a great gun and a perfect size for carry. the 'baby' glocks are too small for me to manipulate the controls easy, plus everyone adds a pearce grip extension to them, and by the time you've done that, they're pretty close in size to the 23 anyways. if you're not gonna carry, you should consider their full size guns, so the 22 in .40.

but, don't take anyone's word for it, grip and ergos and the like are personal choices, so find a range that rents what you're interested in, and rent them and shoot them and decide for yourself.

Glock40man
11-06-2012, 14:44
My perception of felt recoil difference with say 124 gr. Speer Gold Dots in a G 19 180 gr. Speer Gold Dots in a G 23 is about 15 to 18 percent more felt recoil for the 40 but everyone perceives it differently. SJ 40
:agree:

The difference in felt recoil between 9MM, 40 S&W, and, 357 SIG is not as drastic as some will lead you to believe. But, YMMV.

rosco9
11-06-2012, 16:07
I'm def not a magazine writer but I'm an observant guy who likes to shoot ... I have a .45 1911, G23 & G27 amoung others. There is def a subtle difference in recoil and personally I shoot better with my G27 & G23 then my Kimber 1911 ... All that said I believe the difference, and the often talked about objection, to .40 makes for better magazine articles and thread chatter then anything else.... If you do get the .40 and you don't like it a conversion bbl pays for its self in about 20 boxes of 9mm instead of .40 ammo. Enjoy!

SouthernBoyVA
11-06-2012, 16:24
If you are recoil sensitive then you might find the G23 to be a little bit sharp in that department. However, it really isn't all that much. Yes the gun does recoil but no, it is not bad. The Glock 23 is a fine self defense sidearm and you could do a lot worse, but not much better with this as you primary carry gun.

cfr
11-06-2012, 16:38
I've got a 23c and added a heavier recoil spring, and it is much more comfy to shoot than a stock, uncompensated 23.

Curious, do you attribute the extra comfiness to the compensated barrel/ slide, the spring, or both? Have you tried it with a stock spring?

FireForged
11-06-2012, 16:47
The G23 recoil is nothing like a 45cal 1911. The barrel flip is what I notice, one because its short and light and two, because its a 40.

flipfellah
11-06-2012, 17:24
recoil on my g23 is not bad at all imo. i have the 9mm conversion barrel and its not that big of diff in recoil imo. my 165gr critical defense ammo is a lot more snappier than my 180gr fed hst tho

Glock&Schpeel
11-06-2012, 17:53
recoil on my g23 is not bad at all imo.

+1

My first G23 was a gen 2 and it had a sharp, nasty recoil. I don't know if I'm getting older and/or better or if it's older and less sensitivity in my hands but I sold that one and bought a G23 3rd gen and WOW, what a difference. I can barely tell it from a G19. I'm shooting 165gr reloads and 180gr factory and they're both great.

For me the gen 3 is so much better than the gen 2 that I'm starting to wonder why I still own a G19 !

Chesafreak
11-06-2012, 18:08
+1

My first G23 was a gen 2 and it had a sharp, nasty recoil. I don't know if I'm getting older and/or better or if it's older and less sensitivity in my hands but I sold that one and bought a G23 3rd gen and WOW, what a difference. I can barely tell it from a G19. I'm shooting 165gr reloads and 180gr factory and they're both great.

For me the gen 3 is so much better than the gen 2 that I'm starting to wonder why I still own a G19 !

I must have the best of both worlds. My 3rd Gen Glock 23 has a Gen 2 grip. I recently ground off the finger humps and stippled the frontstrap because my middle finger sat on top of the hump instead of in between. I love it now.

tuica
11-07-2012, 13:21
My G23 may be my snappiest defensive pistol. But remember, you (at least I) will rarely (never?) shoot "hundreds of rounds" through that gun at a single outing. I would give it a try, as I consider the G23 to be one of Glock's best products. A near-perfect blend of firepower, mag capacity, and compactness. Cheers.

rrog
11-07-2012, 13:30
I agree 100%, good post .:thumbsup:

+1

I agree with what he said about what he said. :cool:

rrog

SCmasterblaster
11-07-2012, 18:39

Getting a G22 soon!

str8himalaya
11-07-2012, 19:46
Not so much stronger, as different. To me, a .45 is more of a push back, which is more pleasant to shoot. The .40 is more like the barrel snapping up and back very sharply. I guess that's the best I can describe it.

:goodpost:

I would explain it very close to above. More of an upward kick opposed to a rearward in a 1911 platform. Much like others have said, the 1911 is generally heavier as well, with widely regarded better ergonomics. The big thing is practice. I put my Kimber away since I just got a glock 23, just so I can focus specifically on getting things right in a different platform. Just shoot, shoot, and shoot some more!

SCmasterblaster
11-07-2012, 19:50
because the bullets weigh more. 135-200gr.

jhaynes
11-07-2012, 20:09
I have both the G19 and G23. Yes the 23 is a little more "snappy" but not at all uncontrollable. I shoot them both well. My son had never shot a Glock before. When we went to range I took the G19, G23, and G21SF (45ACP). He fell in love with the 23. Shot it better than the other two. I don't know why. But he was scary accurate all day long with it.

jhaynes
11-07-2012, 20:19

I think everyone should stop buying Glocks...once you've got 2 of each model.

New23
11-07-2012, 21:25
I'm not a "gun guy". I tool an introductory pistol class several years ago, shot several different types, liked the Glock (Model 17 in that class) best, and bought a new Gen 3 23. Took some more lessons with it, never had any problem with the recoil and still don't. I'm no expert shooter, but that has nothing to do with recoil.

pasky2112
11-07-2012, 21:45

Agreed. I'll add $.02 to that. No matter the weapon or cartridge...practice when u can. It's FUN practice!

PrecisionRifleman
11-07-2012, 22:14
Recoil; It doesn't really matter if you practice like you should do with either caliber. You will get used to it. With that said both are great calibers for self defense, and either will serve you well if you do your part and put in the time to master the weapon/caliber combination. The 9mm is easier to shoot for many, and if you are a new shooter this may be a better choice while you focus on getting the fundamentals down such as trigger control, no flinching, and body position down. I personally own the G23 because I like the extra oomph it has over the 9mm, ammo cost is a non issue since I load my own rounds, and I like to practice often. Good luck with whatever you decide.

berfles
11-07-2012, 23:12
I still don't know what all the whining is about .40 recoil and "snappiness". My Gen 4 G23 is the first gun I've ever owned and there is nothing "uncontrollable" about it. Follow up shots are easy, the recoil feels stout to me, and it's just fun to shoot. I've shot 9mms before and the recoil is boring to me, I don't know.

I guess my point is if I can purchase this gun to learn on and control it fine, I don't know what others are doing.

New23
11-07-2012, 23:23
I agree with you completely. My experience was the same as I indicated above.

I guess my point is if I can purchase this gun to learn on and control it fine, I don't know what others are doing.

tuica
11-08-2012, 15:35
And in a self-defense situation - you will never even notice that snappiness. Cheers.

Clutch Cargo
11-08-2012, 15:40

I agree on the type of felt recoil

hsprincipal
11-08-2012, 17:30
I am buying a 23 gen4 Saturday to go with my 22 and 27. Just buy it, shoot it, and enjoy it. The hype is just that, hype. You will learn the recoil and get used to it just as you did with your 1911 and would with a 19 or other 9mm.

Zooco
11-08-2012, 17:39
Well, I just brought home a brand new Glock 23 today! I have had a couple of Glocks in 9mm and other pistols in 40 .357SIG and 45. While my new 23 is the only stock 40 I now currently own, based on my other weapons, I have always thought that each caliber had its own 'character'. Everyone of them were manageable. For me, I am going to break in my G23 over the next few weeks with about 200 rounds. I was already signed up for a self defense course in January where our round count will be 500. I plan on using my G23 all day. I have done the course before with a 9mm. By the end of the day with that, I never perceived the recoil of that at all. My guess is that the 40 will probably be a similar experience. It will become my everyday carry.

Drilled
11-08-2012, 17:46
I have a G23 which is the gun I carry the most.

But I really like my 30 and 21. You will get used to the snappier recoil in no time.

Henry's Dad
11-08-2012, 18:37
I prefer my G23 (gen 3) over the .45s I've owned (G30SF, Colt 1911 commander, Kimber TLE II). Just feels better to me. Recoil, while different, has always been less "distracting" (for lack of a beter term) with .40s.

Non-recoil considerations:

With one spare mag in my pocket, I've got 27 rounds on my person with the G23.

With a 1911, two 8-round spares gets me to 25 with one chambered.

I've spent a hell of a lot less on gunsmithing with my G23 than with my 1911s.

Also, one simple barrel change gives me a G32.

bushytail man
11-08-2012, 19:56
The 23 in .40 is brutal!! The problem is the Glock Knuckle. The frame hits the middle knuckle and its brutal! So is the G22. I know many LEOs that carry the 21 rather than the 40s and it is because of the knuckle hitting. Brutal!!

New23
11-08-2012, 20:04
That must vary with the person. It's never happened to me and your comment is the first I've read about that here.

The 23 in .40 is brutal!! The problem is the Glock Knuckle. The frame hits the middle knuckle and its brutal! So is the G22. I know many LEOs that carry the 21 rather than the 40s and it is because of the knuckle hitting. Brutal!!

cfr
11-08-2012, 21:24
Have any of you that complain about the excess snapiness tried a Hogue grip, etc.? I dont find the .40 as bad as others, but I also have inner tubes on them, which I believe mitigates the way the .40 feels.

bushytail man
11-09-2012, 18:46
I use the houge grips on my issued 22. It helps with gripping but not with the Glock knuckle, It is a standard occurance with all those shooting the 40! Most of those who ran out and bought the 27, sold them pronto! Too much recoil and pain! Anyone who shoots the 40 will get the knuckle smashed...repeatedly. After a qulification round, I'm happy to be done, so are the other guys and gals!
Now, we can shoot them, but not to the level of accuracy that we did the Sig 226s we carried for 20 years.
If I could get tthe frame relieved to eliminate the knuckle hitting, I might buy a 23.

berfles
11-09-2012, 18:50
I use the houge grips on my issued 22. It helps with gripping but not with the Glock knuckle, It is a standard occurance with all those shooting the 40! Most of those who ran out and bought the 27, sold them pronto! Too much recoil and pain! Anyone who shoots the 40 will get the knuckle smashed...repeatedly. After a qulification round, I'm happy to be done, so are the other guys and gals!
Now, we can shoot them, but not to the level of accuracy that we did the Sig 226s we carried for 20 years.
If I could get tthe frame relieved to eliminate the knuckle hitting, I might buy a 23.

Oh get a grip and stop with the outrageous reports. I can't even tell if you're being serious or not with the way you make it sound like every single person with a G23 has this issue. I've shot over 2k rounds through my G23 (which I learned to shoot on) and I have never had any pain anywhere in my hands, nor has my knuckle been smashed even once.

Idrivedodge4x4
11-09-2012, 18:59
I have always been a big ruger fan, my weapon of choice is a 9mm p-95. That was untill my father in law gave me a gen 4 G23. Yes it does have a bit more kick then my p-95, nut not that much. But after shooting several hundred rounds thru it, I am very happy with it. It is all in what you want, what you get used to.

I will admit I do a lot of work with my hands, and I have very strong hands. I think that anyone who wants to by a weapon needs to consider everything they can, then if possible go to a range where you can shoot several differnt callibers and brands of weapons.

Find what you like, what is right for you, and what you feel comfortable with. Dont listen to every thing everyone says and decide for yourself.

I truely love to shoot any pistol that AI get my hands on.

ebm1973
11-09-2012, 22:25
Don't even think twice about recoil shooting .40 rounds in a G23. It's a pu$$y cat.

cfr
11-09-2012, 23:33

I have a Gen 4 22, and a Gen 3 27. I know of not the knuckle of which you speak. The back on the 27 dug into my palm pretty good until I put an inner tube on it. I've also found a tube on both of them take some of the oomph out, for me anyways. Works for me, may want to give it a shot.

TnShooter83
11-09-2012, 23:39
If you can shoot one, you can shoot the other. It's not that bad.
Keep your hands high on the grip and the bore lower down to your palm and it helps.
I think the biggest thing will be that the Glock holds different than a 1911.
And The 1911 is NOT at all a Glock trigger.

solidman
11-09-2012, 23:46
http://stipple.com/photos/8950184

Wooderson76
11-10-2012, 00:59
enough of the .40 is snappy ****!!! The 23 is just fine,get i and shoot the crap out of it.dont worry youll be fine.

PrecisionRifleman
11-10-2012, 02:48
enough of the .40 is snappy ****!!! The 23 is just fine,get i and shoot the crap out of it.dont worry youll be fine.

Agreed, and there are always the 135's should you really want lighter recoil. A 135 at 1200fps (Federal Guard Dog) feels just like a 124+p 9mm load. I like the 155' XTP and 180 HST myself.
posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

cfr
11-10-2012, 07:48
Agreed, and there are always the 135's should you really want lighter recoil. A 135 at 1200fps (Federal Guard Dog) feels just like a 124+p 9mm load. I like the 155' XTP and 180 HST myself.

I've only shot 165's and 180's (Walmarts finest :supergrin:) -- I thought the light stuff made it snappier, due to higher velocity?

PrecisionRifleman
11-11-2012, 11:01
I've only shot 165's and 180's (Walmarts finest :supergrin:) -- I thought the light stuff made it snappier, due to higher velocity?

The recoil is faster, but its a lesser recoil. Very much like a mid to light weight 9mm. The 165's are the stoutest of them all. Try them all out and see what works best for you. Recoil is pretty subjective, but I think everyone can agree there are obvious differences between the various bullet weights.

jeanderson
11-11-2012, 11:24
The G23 is my first pistol (just purchased this year) and I have no issue with recoil. I love the feel and have a great time with it every visit to the range.

Having said that, I occasionally develop a small blister on my right thumb knuckle due to the muzzle kicking up. I attribute this to incorrect grip - which I'm alway experimenting with.

pasky2112
11-12-2012, 10:56
Well, I just brought home a brand new Glock 23 today! I have had a couple of Glocks in 9mm and other pistols in 40 .357SIG and 45. While my new 23 is the only stock 40 I now currently own, based on my other weapons, I have always thought that each caliber had its own 'character'. Everyone of them were manageable. For me, I am going to break in my G23 over the next few weeks with about 200 rounds. I was already signed up for a self defense course in January where our round count will be 500. I plan on using my G23 all day. I have done the course before with a 9mm. By the end of the day with that, I never perceived the recoil of that at all. My guess is that the 40 will probably be a similar experience. It will become my everyday carry.
Congrats, neighbor! I love .40 in my G23 Gen4. Is yours a Gen4 as well? Either way, if you shoot it enough, it will just become an extension of your arm. I shoot a G20 10mm mostly but my CCW is the G23. IMO, here in FL, it's the best ALL AROUND CCW. Considering going to G29SF for CCW...I digress.
Not sure if you mentioned it but I'd suggest getting good night sights ASAP.
Enjoy and Happy shooting!

Dogbite
11-12-2012, 19:33
I have been shooting like 38 years, just to let you know where I am coming from.
Don't spend one more second worrying about the recoil of a .40 caliber pistol--seriously.
It's a tempest in a teacup. If you are thinking of a 23, they are incredible pistols.

spec357
11-12-2012, 19:39
I have a gen3 g23 it was my first pistol, and yes it is snappier than a 9 but you get used to it after a while with practice. I like the 180 grain loads more than the quicker 165 ones. my carry load is federal hst 180's.

CDR_Glock
11-12-2012, 19:47
Recoil is in the hands of the user and their level of experience with shooting. I don't notice recoil but others do. Certainly, the right technique will mitigate perception of recoil. I recommend that the original poster, try for himself. Compare the 19 to the 23.

I prefer the 27, myself. Great pistol for Concealment, but so is a 26.

douglasd
11-13-2012, 00:22
The .40 SW is a bit snappier than other calibers. It pushes the barrel more "upward" than straight back. But it's not a stronger recoil, just different.

The main difference is that it's harder to make accurate double-taps. It takes a little more effort (and time) to get the sights back on target than other calibers.

But this can be minimized with practice.

Doug

uncleted327
11-15-2012, 07:53
Recoil is a very subjective monster. I shoot the g27 and snubnose 357 magnum revolvers one handed with heavy Buffalo Bore ammo and have no problem what so ever. The person next to me might think a 380 is too much. IMO without trying them out for yourself you'll never really know what you like or don't like.

4Rules
03-17-2013, 20:16
http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/general-discussion/198369-i-guess-40-my-new-favorite-handgun-ammo.html#post3021188 (http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/general-discussion/198369-i-guess-40-my-new-favorite-handgun-ammo.html#post3021188)

Sammael
03-17-2013, 23:43
I shot a Glock 23 once and my hand fell off!

BRUTAL!

:upeyes:

On a side note: That might be why I carry a Glock 29 now.

:2gun:

Glock&Schpeel
03-18-2013, 10:32
What generation was it? I felt that way about the gen 2 but the gen 3 is very pleasant. Very close to the 19.

I shot a Glock 23 once and my hand fell off!

BRUTAL!

:upeyes:

Sammael
03-18-2013, 10:47
'Twas said in jest, my good sir.

All joking aside, in a truly subcompact firearm, I will go with a 9mm over a .40, as any real ballistic advantage is insufficient to counter the advantage in control that I hold with a 9mm in that sized weapon.

Inb4 'girly man' comments: Daily carry is a G29 with Underwood 180s. I'm not recoil sensitive. I have found though, that once I get down to a certain size, the .40s to tend to jump around a bit more in my hand during rapid fire than the 9mms do. Me no likie. The 29 is of sufficient size that I feel I have enough to hold on to in order to negate any additional recoil.

Anything G19/G23 sized and above, it really doesn't matter to me. I shoot both fine, and feel plenty protected by either.

Yes, the G27 is 'snappier' (there's that word!) than the G26, but certainly not uncontrollable, or to the point of being no fun. As a point of comparison, run some full house .357 loads through a J frame .357... I was done after two cylinders full, lol. Not fun. :)

The .40 is a great round, just not for me in the truly subcompact sized weapons. I feel just as well protected by a 9mm, so in that size weapon, I will take the 9mm every time.

YMMV.

tgmr05
03-18-2013, 11:18
The gen 4 23 is not as snappy as the gen 3, but is still more snappy than a 19.

All one needs to do, to prove this, is a simple experiment.

Take a 23 and 19 to the range. Shoot the 23 first, go through 2-3 mags, then switch to the 19, and shoot another 2-3 mags.. May not notice much at all in the difference, other than a slight felt difference, and accuracy should be the same. The transition is easy, and requires no effort on the part of the shooter.

THEN, take the 19, shoot a couple mags, and switch back to the 23, and shoot a couple of mags. You will understand the difference in recoil, at this point, and how it affects shootability. It can be overcome, but is not the simple transition that 23 to 19 was. One must focus more, and put more effort into controlling the 23 after shooting the 19...

This is not saying the 23 is horrid, or needs to be only used by hardened veteran shooters,... only that there is a difference, and, yes it is noticeable, and yes it does have an effect on the shooter.

The 19 is easier to pick up and shoot well, when one has not shot for a while. The 23 is a great gun, too, just has a little snappier recoil. Both are great guns.

I have both, and would hate to part with either. Both have their uses/merits. If pressed though, and limited to only one, I must admit I would probably keep the 19.

ray glock
03-18-2013, 17:39
Years ago I shot a G23 in 40S&W off handed at the 15 yard range. My shots were rather rapid and when the slide locked back after the last round I was very aware of how snappy the recoil was. I was pleasantly surprised to see the group all centered around and in the bulls eye. Then I thought, how can that be? With time and practice you can overcome felt recoil of the G23. Works for me.

GIG4FUN
03-18-2013, 17:51
Recoil is in the hands of the user and their level of experience with shooting. I don't notice recoil but others do. Certainly, the right technique will mitigate perception of recoil.

^^^^^ this

9mm +p+
03-18-2013, 22:16
Glocks in 40 suck for recoil period, I EDC a 23 and it's a ferocious little handfull. If you want a truly comfy fun to shoot 40 get a SIG P229, hands down my fav 40. The 23 is lighter and is better to carry, not alot of fun to shoot. The SIG carries ok but is worlds better to shoot.

Doughnutman_923
03-18-2013, 22:27
Good day shooters! I am planning to purchase a g23 very soon but read that its recoil is even stronger if not the same as a 1911. Is there any truth in that? Thank you in advance for your replies.

My G23's recoil is a little bit more snappy than my 1911, but my 1911 is a lot heavier considering it has an alloy frame. In my opinion, the G23 is a great firearm and is also a good choice to purchase.

Blowout
03-18-2013, 23:12
I put a Buffer Technologies buffer in my G23 yrs ago and it does take some of the bite out of the 40sw. Put in a Harrts recoil compensating guide rod first (not made anymore), but the buffer seems to make more of a difference. I put the buffers in 4 of my pistols and I really like them. Haven't had any feeding problems with them. Just a thought...

Fireguy10
03-18-2013, 23:58
Hey all.... so from what i've read I think we all agree that no matter what caliber you go with......the more you shoot it, the better you'll be with it. I've recently purchased a Glock 23 Gen 4 and I picking it up tomorrow (well today since it's after midnight haha. sorry I work nights so I have yet to get to sleep). As Si would say from Duck Dynasty i'm "Happy happy happy". I'll be sure to put some rounds through it and get back to you guys. I've picked up some Remmington 180 grain hollow point home defense rounds and looking forward to shooting some of them.

i'm looking forward to shooting it and seeing if the new dual recoil spring really helps the recoil in the gen 4's compared to the other .40's i've shot in the past.

Drilled
07-14-2014, 03:36

This! and the .40 is an ill conceived round stuck between to great calibers (9MM and .45 ACP). I love the .40 because I adapted to it and not the other way around.

It has plentiful ammo and and LEO's all over the country use it because it packs a punch in cold weather that 9's cannot penetrate sometimes. The .45 is like getting hit with a world class punch!

Not starting a caliber war...just personal observation in different climates. The .40 will cut through most outer garments where the 9 sometimes will not.

I have had a 23 for years and it always goes pop and takes a bit of getting used to.

It is a caliber that get's the job done!

In warm weather I would use a 9MM...in cold weather a .40 and up against multiple layers of clothes a .45 ACP.

Do your own tests.
On the G23 watch for stove piping...don't keep using the same defense ammo without rotating stock. (unsupported chamber.)

Keep your defense ammo rotated and your gun clean and it will always work. Never use less than 165 grain ammo in a .40

The .45ACP will cut through any clothes in the winter.
I shot better with a 9MM and a .45 ACP but the .40 is a tamable gun and with good knock-down power!

Drilled
07-14-2014, 03:47
Double Post...deleted

Bill Lumberg
07-14-2014, 04:26
No. .Good day shooters! I am planning to purchase a g23 very soon but read that its recoil is even stronger if not the same as a 1911. Is there any truth in that? Thank you in advance for your replies.

silencio
07-14-2014, 08:30
This! and the .40 is an ill conceived round stuck between to great calibers (9MM and .45 ACP). I love the .40 because I adapted to it and not the other way around.

It has plentiful ammo and and LEO's all over the country use it because it packs a punch in cold weather that 9's cannot penetrate sometimes. The .45 is like getting hit with a world class punch!

Not starting a caliber war...just personal observation in different climates. The .40 will cut through most outer garments where the 9 sometimes will not.

I have had a 23 for years and it always goes pop and takes a bit of getting used to.

It is a caliber that get's the job done!

In warm weather I would use a 9MM...in cold weather a .40 and up against multiple layers of clothes a .45 ACP.

Do your own tests.
On the G23 watch for stove piping...don't keep using the same defense ammo without rotating stock. (unsupported chamber.)

Keep your defense ammo rotated and your gun clean and it will always work. Never use less than 165 grain ammo in a .40

The .45ACP will cut through any clothes in the winter.
I shot better with a 9MM and a .45 ACP but the .40 is a tamable gun and with good knock-down power!
I don't ever remember ever a statement that a .45 ACP wil penetrate multiple layer's of clothing better than a .40 S&W.Am I wrong??:dunno:

jimmudcatgrant
07-14-2014, 08:53
I'm def not a magazine writer but I'm an observant guy who likes to shoot ... I have a .45 1911, G23 & G27 amoung others. There is def a subtle difference in recoil and personally I shoot better with my G27 & G23 then my Kimber 1911 ... All that said I believe the difference, and the often talked about objection, to .40 makes for better magazine articles and thread chatter then anything else.... If you do get the .40 and you don't like it a conversion bbl pays for its self in about 20 boxes of 9mm instead of .40 ammo. Enjoy!

I am good with the recoil of my G27. Is the G23 a little better, or about the same?

GlockFan7
07-14-2014, 18:54
I am good with the recoil of my G27. Is the G23 a little better, or about the same?

I have both in the same generation. I find the G23 to be a little better, but still very familiar.

Hempy19
07-14-2014, 19:15
I had a Kimber .45 before picking up a G23. While I never missed the malfunctions in the Kimber, I did miss the "push" of the .45 vs the "Snap" of the .40