Thinking of selling my Dillon 550B - need info [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of selling my Dillon 550B - need info

Bren
11-06-2012, 09:03
I haven't done much reloading in a few years and I have a Lee single stage, a Lee turret and a Dillon 550B with a roller handle and a few extra pickup tubes.

I'm thinking about selling the Dillon and putting the money into other things.

What is a little-used 550B going for these days?

Is it still a lifetime waranty even for people who buy it second-hand? (That was always a big selling point.)

Anybody have any experience with selling them on Ebay vs. Gunbroker vs. here, etc?

Bren
11-06-2012, 09:04
Another question - what's the best way/place to unload some of my giant tub of once-fire brass?

sciolist
11-06-2012, 09:32
Seems like there's a fair number of people on here looking for 550's. I think brass is around $2/lb as scrap now.

fredj338
11-06-2012, 10:00
Brass is best cleaned & sold in lots fo 500 to reloaders, you'll get far more than scrap prices. A nice pre owned stock 550B, about $350-$375 is all you can expect. Shipping cuts into that a bit, as you can buy new w/ free shipping. Me, I would never sell mine unless I had two.

Boxerglocker
11-06-2012, 10:03
A new 550b set-up for one caliber and aluminum roller handle goes for $550 delivered from BE. I would ask $450 cash FTF and call it a day.

F106 Fan
11-06-2012, 10:07

You can check eBay. I just did a search for 'Dillon 550B' and there are several for $350-$400

Is it still a lifetime waranty even for people who buy it second-hand? (That was always a big selling point.)

Yes

Anybody have any experience with selling them on Ebay vs. Gunbroker vs. here, etc?

From an 'Economics 101', eBay forms a market. Therefore, both the seller and the buyer think they got a good deal. The problem is, most of the 550Bs are "Buy It Now" and there are only a very few bids on the others (and the first bid is usually from the seller to establish a floor price). It's hard to say that there is really a 'market' with many sellers and many buyers.

If you want, say $350, you can set it up as "Buy It Now" or you can put a reserve price below which it won't sell.

Considering the hassle to ship it plus the fact that eBay wants a cut, you might think about taking it to a local range and see if anybody wants it. You could also hang 'For Sale' notices on the bulletin board.

There's a classified section here on GT.

Most of the used 550Bs sell at nearly full price so there is good news and bad: First, you are likely to get a decent price. Second, the buyer might as well bite the bullet and order a new one. They can get free shipping via BrianEnos.com so that saves them, perhaps, $30.

Richard

TX Archer
11-06-2012, 10:13
Another question - what's the best way/place to unload some of my giant tub of once-fire brass?
Your best bet on that is to pack it all up and send it straight to me for safekeeping. I can send my address if you don't already have it.

Colorado4Wheel
11-06-2012, 10:47
Opps, wrong thread.

ron59
11-06-2012, 14:17
You can sell your brass right here on GT, the buy/sell forum.

Use the Post Office "flat rate" boxes, they allow shipping for a pre-determined rate. Pick up a few and see how many you can fit in one (as in max).

But you can almost just use other people's prices as a guide line, maybe low ball them a little so you can move yours.

shotgunred
11-06-2012, 17:39
When I sold my 550 I just mentioned it at an IDPA match. Sold it for my asking price that day.

Saugus
11-06-2012, 18:09
Do you have any pics or further information you can offer. I might be interested in the 550B depending on what caliber is was set up for. PM me if you like. Maybe we can make medicine.

I haven't done much reloading in a few years and I have a Lee single stage, a Lee turret and a Dillon 550B with a roller handle and a few extra pickup tubes.

I'm thinking about selling the Dillon and putting the money into other things.

WiskyT
11-06-2012, 18:55
When I sold my 550 I just mentioned it at an IDPA match. Sold it for my asking price that day.

I agree with the FTF way of doing it. If you have access to a large number of shooters (club, IDPA etc.) you could probably sell it pretty quickly. It could easily be an impulse buy for someone even if they already have one. Gun owners can be impulsive about stuff like this. FTF would save you the cost of shipping, which even if passed on to the buyer ends up coming out of your pocket indirectly because the buyer would be willing to pay less for the press itself.

Also, registering, paying fees, to just sell one item online is a bit of a pita IMO. Maybe I'm just lazy, but I'd much rather just bring the thing to a match and see if someone wants to cough up the money and take it home with them.

Zombie Steve
11-06-2012, 23:07
Opps, wrong thread.

http://rlv.zcache.com/spaz_logo_hyperactive_anxious_and_spontaneous_mousepad-p144902049235906170envq7_400.jpg

:whistling:

gwalchmai
11-07-2012, 12:06
Another question - what's the best way/place to unload some of my giant tub of once-fire brass?What cartridges do you have, and how many?

Bren
11-07-2012, 15:29
What cartridges do you have, and how many?

The brass is mostly 9mm, followed by .40 and .45. Unsorted, but lots of Winchester white box. I expect there's over 100 lbs. - it's a 30 gallon steri-lite bin and the lid won't go on.

I haven't loaded a round since about 2008, but my wife says I shouldn't sell the Dillon. I'm having a hard time deciding. heck, I only use it for 9mm. I reload revolver ammo on the turret press and rifle on the single stage.

shotgunred
11-07-2012, 16:45
Today I have already heard noise about an ammo tax. If you don't really need the money your wife is right.

gwalchmai
11-07-2012, 17:26
The brass is mostly 9mm, followed by .40 and .45. Unsorted, but lots of Winchester white box. I expect there's over 100 lbs. - it's a 30 gallon steri-lite bin and the lid won't go on.

I haven't loaded a round since about 2008, but my wife says I shouldn't sell the Dillon. I'm having a hard time deciding. heck, I only use it for 9mm. I reload revolver ammo on the turret press and rifle on the single stage.I'd keep 'em. Those are real common and you may start reloading them again.

Colorado4Wheel
11-07-2012, 17:57

I haven't loaded a round since about 2008, but my wife says I shouldn't sell the Dillon. I'm having a hard time deciding. heck, I only use it for 9mm. I reload revolver ammo on the turret press and rifle on the single stage.

I dont say this often any more. But... Listen to your wife. Keep.the press.

RustyFN
11-07-2012, 19:19

Wow I would think over 100 pounds. I have a five gallon bucket full of 9mm that weighs 90 pounds. There are around 11,000 cases in it.

Bren
11-08-2012, 12:52
According to my wife - "Obama won the election, you need to keep all of the reloading and shooting stuff."

Bren
11-08-2012, 12:53
Wow I would think over 100 pounds. I have a five gallon bucket full of 9mm that weighs 90 pounds. There are around 11,000 cases in it.

Wow - yeah it is pretty hard to even slide this thing on the floor. I imagine it's more like "hundreds."

gwalchmai
11-08-2012, 13:08
With winter coming you'll need something to occupy your time. Sort that brass by type and then by headstamp, and bag it up. For later...

F106 Fan
11-08-2012, 13:44
If you are going to sort it, get the 3 plastic buckets plus the aluminum plate. They work quite well over a 5 gallon bucket.

I wish they did a better job of extracting 9mm shells from inside 40 shells and 40 shells from inside 45 shells but they don't. Sometimes you have to just pick them apart.

There is a tendency to put too many shells into the sorter. I find that several batches of 100 or so sort better than a batch of several hundred.

Richard

gwalchmai
11-08-2012, 13:49
That's cheatin', Dart. Sorting brass by hand builds character.

Bren
11-20-2012, 06:27
My wife insists I keep all the reloaing equipment for the trying time to come. Maybe I will get back into it this winter. I wonder how much the dampness in my basement has hurt the jugs of powder in the last 3-4 years.

gwalchmai
11-20-2012, 06:34
My wife insists I keep all the reloaing equipment for the trying time to come. Maybe I will get back into it this winter. I wonder how much the dampness in my basement has hurt the jugs of powder in the last 3-4 years.If they're in the original plastic jugs and tightly closed I wouldn't think they'd be affected at all. I've stored powder in such conditions for 5-6 years with no problems.

Bren
11-20-2012, 09:14
If they're in the original plastic jugs and tightly closed I wouldn't think they'd be affected at all. I've stored powder in such conditions for 5-6 years with no problems.

I may break down and do some loading this winter.

fredj338
11-20-2012, 10:25
My wife insists I keep all the reloaing equipment for the trying time to come. Maybe I will get back into it this winter. I wonder how much the dampness in my basement has hurt the jugs of powder in the last 3-4 years.

At least turn a light bulb on down there, a dehumid is even better. Moisture is a powder/primer killer.

PrecisionRifleman
11-20-2012, 12:16
I'd bet that once you start using it again you'll be glad that you kept it. I want to get a Dillon 550 myself, and the decision to do so was finalized yesterday when I full length sized, expanded, and primed 1000 ct of 40S&W brass on my RCBS Rock Chucker. I really like the single stage Rock Chucker for my rifle cartridges, but now that I'm loading pistol cartrdiges I'm really liking the idea of a progressive press. Definitely keep it! :wavey:

n2extrm
11-20-2012, 14:49
When I sold my 550 (to buy a 650) all I did was mention it to a few guys at the range. In fact I wasn't sure I was going to sell it and they convinced me to sell it. I sold another press on eBay honestly it was a waste. Shipping was a PIA, UPS broke the frame, I gave the guy back his money and waited out the UPS ***** hats till they decided to pay me. Lucky I had insurance. In the end it was a headache I could have lived without.

As much as I hate to agree with Steve listen to your wife. Hold onto it. If you decide to sell it, try a forum like this or FTF. Save the eBay fees and shipping if you can.

I don't know where this knuckle head is going to take us, but I am sure it won't be good. Being able to relad maybe a powerful thing if you want to enjoy the sport/hobby.