Looking for the Glock of rifles? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Looking for the Glock of rifles?

swh_longhorn
11-06-2012, 10:26
I recently got back into shooting after a long (40 year) layoff. I have 2 Glocks (17, 19) that I think are great. The best thing I like about them is they go bang everytime and relatively simple to maintain. Costwise they were in the middle of the dollars I was wanting spend.

Now I'm thinking of getting a AR type rifle for HD, target shooting, etc. I would like to find a rifle with same kind of traits. Bugetwise I'm looking at spending around $1000.00. And being a general tightwad, I'll probably go for a used gun.

I'm sure there won't be total agreement, LOL, but would appreciate some suggestions on what to get and caliber.

Is there a rifle out there that could be considered kind of the Glock of rifles?

cowboy1964
11-06-2012, 10:30
Any quality AR in 5.56x45. For $1000 you can buy new. Colt, BCM, lots of good makers.

ARs are really simple to maintain and work on.

Cole125
11-06-2012, 11:47
AR15s are the "Glocks" of the rifle world in many ways, very reliable with quality parts, easy to maintain, and spare parts easily available.

As far as caliber goes, 5.56 is the best way to go if your budget minded. MUCH cheaper to shoot than any other caliber ARs are chambered in. LE/.mil use 5.56 ARs, if its good enough for them, its good enough for me.

The consensus around here is the best complete rifle you can get is a Colt 6920. A lot of guys build their own ARs from a stripped lower exactly how they want them, but usually it costs much more money to do it that way.

TedG
11-06-2012, 12:48
AR15s are the "Glocks" of the rifle world in many ways, very reliable with quality parts, easy to maintain, and spare parts easily available.

As far as caliber goes, 5.56 is the best way to go if your budget minded. MUCH cheaper to shoot than any other caliber ARs are chambered in. LE/.mil use 5.56 ARs, if its good enough for them, its good enough for me.

The consensus around here is the best complete rifle you can get is a Colt 6920. A lot of guys build their own ARs from a stripped lower exactly how they want them, but usually it costs much more money to do it that way.

+1 :agree:

skew12
11-06-2012, 12:51
The colt 6920 is great for the money. But I have decided to spend a couple hundred more and get either a BCM or a DD setup a lot closer to the way I want it.

fortyofforty
11-06-2012, 13:08
I haven't seen the GLOCK of ARs yet. I've seen plenty of mid- and high-dollar carbines malfunction, with the problem usually being attributed to carbon build-up or lack of lubrication on the bolt and bolt carrier, or excessive heat from dozens of rounds fired in rapid succession. Those excuses are, to me, unacceptable. I have a LWRC piston driven carbine that is pretty close to rock-solid, and doesn't need babying or lubrication to any degree. As an experiment I haven't cleaned or lubricated mine for many hundreds of rounds now, and it's still running like clockwork. It is very close to GLOCK-like in reliability.

fuzzy03cls
11-06-2012, 13:32
X2
I've seen colts choke & DPMS run. You set a budget. Now shop for AR in that range. Not a whole lot of difference these days once your at $1K.

KennyFSU
11-06-2012, 13:34
How about a Glock carbine?

http://mechtechsys.com/images/web/glock_full_full.jpg

Made in Austria
11-06-2012, 13:49
If you are really looking for the Glock of rifles, I would check out a Steyr AUG A3. I know the Steyr cost about $2000, but, it's the ultimate Glock of rifles. As much as I love M16's, AR15's, and M4's, neither of them can hold a candle to the AUG, probably not even a good AK platform. It's extremely robust, handles full auto heat with absolutely no problems, and has a lot of other advantages, and a few disadvantages of course. I have used a Steyr AUG in the Austrian army, on the Austria Hungarian border, and a few month in the Kosovo conflict in southeastern Europe. I have never heard of a Steyr AUG malfunctioning or brake in my entire military career.

G23Adam
11-06-2012, 13:53
Daniel Defense or Bravo Company AR. Nuff said.

arushus
11-07-2012, 00:42
Spike's tactical, Daniel Defense, BCM, Colt, Lmt...all make mil-spec rifles, and all are good choices. I personally own a Spikes Tactical Middy with CHF 16" barrel and NiBX BCG.

TangoFoxtrot
11-07-2012, 05:02
Smith & Wesson M&P AR rifle line.

Cole125
11-07-2012, 11:03
Spike's tactical, Daniel Defense, BCM, Colt, Lmt...all make mil-spec rifles, and all are good choices. I personally own a Spikes Tactical Middy with CHF 16" barrel and NiBX BCG.

That too, OP you have many choices and you better buy before prices go crazy if they have not already.

mjkeat
11-07-2012, 12:24
DD, Colt, LMT, BCM.

There is a huge gap regardless of price b/w some ARs. Some will dispute such things. Usually because their AR from a questionable manufacturer rarely if ever gets run hard. $1k can net you good or bad results. You'll get a lot of response from those trying to help. In the end it's up to you to make an informed decision.

michael_b
11-07-2012, 19:57

Hardly. It's not a huge savings but I built a very nice AR for less than that Colt cost.

mjkeat
11-07-2012, 20:08
Hardly. It's not a huge savings but I built a very nice AR for less than that Colt cost.

I agree that it doesn't cost more but I have never saved a penny assembling one myself w/ parts of equal quality.

Darkangel1846
11-09-2012, 10:23
Well your price limit just limited you to a few new rifles.....but there are numerous used rifles out there. The high cost brand names are even high cost in the used market. Your most likely choice will be bushmaster. If you go online to auction arms or gun broker and search the cost of used rifles you will see what I mean. Your next choice are pawn shops, and consignment deals at your privatly owned gun stores. check out the news papers but many won't allow the sale of Assault style rifles. Good luck as Mr. Obamas election has just kicked up the price of all rifles.

IronRonin
11-09-2012, 11:37
Hmmm so the qualities of a Glock are - Simplicity, Reliability, Durability...and arguably, affordability.

And no one has mentioned Ak platform rifles yet? I would highly suggest a Saiga rifle in 308 or 223/5.56. I really like the AK platform chambered in the American calibers.

MrMurphy
11-09-2012, 17:03
AUGs have their own issues. I know a guy with over 20 years using one, and by preference, he uses an AR for 90% of his work.

For certain options they work well, but the AUG while good (as a bullpup) does not beat an AR.

RWBlue
11-09-2012, 18:32
I recently got back into shooting after a long (40 year) layoff. I have 2 Glocks (17, 19) that I think are great. The best thing I like about them is they go bang everytime and relatively simple to maintain. Costwise they were in the middle of the dollars I was wanting spend.

Now I'm thinking of getting a AR type rifle for HD, target shooting, etc. I would like to find a rifle with same kind of traits. Bugetwise I'm looking at spending around $1000.00. And being a general tightwad, I'll probably go for a used gun.

I'm sure there won't be total agreement, LOL, but would appreciate some suggestions on what to get and caliber.

Is there a rifle out there that could be considered kind of the Glock of rifles?

Have you considered buying an AK?:wavey:

seattlesetters
11-09-2012, 19:08
^^^^^ This. ^^^^^

Here is my Bravo Company Mid-16 Mod 2, bone stock ....

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/2012-11-09_16-17-52_63.jpg

And with a few select modifications ....

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/2012-11-09_16-16-32_814.jpg

I wouldn't trade her for any Colt.

Made in Austria
11-10-2012, 10:36
AUGs have their own issues. I know a guy with over 20 years using one, and by preference, he uses an AR for 90% of his work.

For certain options they work well, but the AUG while good (as a bullpup) does not beat an AR.

They don't have many issues, at least no serious issues. The trigger feels a little awkward for some people, due to the relatively long trigger assembly. Some like the trigger. That thing is able to fire full auto for hours with absolutely no problems and no ill effects afterward. The AUG pullpup design has no technical disadvantages compared to a full size rifle. Even the short barrel version is extremely accurate. And if I want, I can swap out the short barrel with a 20" barrel in about 20 seconds. and it's still shorter than a M16, by a lot.

I also know guys who use/used both rifles at work. Most of them prefer the AUG because it looks, feels and probably is less fragile than the M16 platform, and because it's the Glock of rifles. Also, the AUG was nearly perfected when it came on the market, while the M16 had a lot of problems when first used in combat. Too many good guys lost their lives because of the...

For me, the AUG is the Glock of rifles because I have seen of what this rifle is capable of, I really couldn't believe my eyes sometimes. It would be much more popular if it were more customizable and if it wouldn't look so weird/far ahead of it's time to some people.

I prefer the M16/AR15/M4. I just love American rifles and I find the history behind it fascinating. It's also very reliable, highly customizable, parts are available on every street corner, and lots of other advantages.

MrMurphy
11-10-2012, 12:55
Ask the Australian/NZ armies how they like it (the actual troops).

I've run into Austrians who liked the AUG simply because their old Stg58's were worn out.

Running any bullpup in armor is not fun. The original optic, while ahead of it's time then, has not been updated. The barrel change option is nice.

Firing full auto 'for hours'....... you're a rifleman, not a machine gunner, and firing full auto for more than a couple mags means you're used up half a unit of fire and probably hit very little. Need full auto? Get a belt fed.

The AUG A3 is an improvement, but it still doesn't fix that it's a bullpup. Have fun using any cover that's left-handed.......same issue all bullpups have.

Made in Austria
11-10-2012, 13:26
Of course it's no machine gun. But it shows how well this rifle is build and designed.

Not sure about the Australians, I know they had a couple chances to buy more AR type rifles, but declined everytime, because some of their soldiers are not very happy with the HK417's.

The Austrians love their AUG's and are very proud of it. I know this because I was in the Austrian army and was in a war zone with my AUG and a P80/Glock 17. Now, some people will say they don't like the AUG. This is mostly because the AUG doesn't have the looks. It simply doesn't appeal to everyone, due to it's controversial design. A nice M4 is one beautiful firearm. And the prettiness of a firearm counts a lot for a lot of people, not only reliability.

So what's wrong with the AUG bullpup design? It can't be brass to face. The AUG's have a ambidextrous ejection port feature.

Hamrhed
11-10-2012, 18:22
Glock-like reliability in a rifle? I found it in my Arsenal AK :cool:

MrMurphy
11-10-2012, 18:42
If you have to disassemble the gun to make it ambi....it's not ambi enough.

I don't care about looks, the FAMAS is ugly as sin but it works. I don't like bullpups.

Most Australian troops I've spoken to tolerated the F88 but most who've shot anything else preferred 'anything else'. The Australian government can't make up their mind about nearly anything, so it's not surprising they're still using the same rifle. They've tried to upgrade it (to A3 standards) which might help, but they're not in a rush due to budget.

LA_357SIG
11-10-2012, 19:16
I don't care about looks, the FAMAS is ugly as sin but it works. I don't like bullpups.

Any thoughts on the TAVOR? After owning a STG556, I can say I'm kinda disinterested in the AUG style bullpup (Don't like the "dong" foregrip and couldn't get AR flip sights to work due to the short sight radius) but still have some interest if the TAVOR is available in the future.

Made in Austria
11-10-2012, 22:22
Any thoughts on the TAVOR? After owning a STG556, I can say I'm kinda disinterested in the AUG style bullpup (Don't like the "dong" foregrip and couldn't get AR flip sights to work due to the short sight radius) but still have some interest if the TAVOR is available in the future.

So the TAVOR has a longer sight radius than a AUG A3, really? The "dong" fore grip on a AUG is flip upable!

MrMurphy, I can make the AUG AMBI in about three minutes. Just flip the ejection port cover to the right side and turn the bolt 180 degrees and done. Is that too much work for you? Or does it take too long? And trying to compare a TAVOR with an AUG is a assault to an serious AUG owner/user, and to the bullpup design.

One more thing MrMurphy, have you spoken to the federal Mars attack troops too? If so what do they say about their AUG's?

MrMurphy
11-10-2012, 23:43
Well, for guys who emphasize being able to switch shoulders to shoot around cover....... yeah, that is about 175 seconds too long. A conventional rifle can simply be swapped, shot, and it's still fine.

All bullpups except the F2000 face that issue, well known for a long time. I don't train on shooting lefty that much these days, but it IS a known issue. And considering the guys emphasizing that capability are all former SF guys, I generally shut up and listen.

Never handled or shot a Tavor, though the Israelis who've used them seem to like them, even the ones who've handled something else (M16/Galil) since the Tavor was introduced with new recruits and is slowly working it's way through the IDF.

Never spoken to any Martian attack troops, and besides, everyone knows the Stargate command uses P90's in 5.7mm for alien extermination......

Made in Austria
11-10-2012, 23:56
Never spoken to any Martian attack troops, and besides, everyone knows the Stargate command uses P90's in 5.7mm for alien extermination......

:rofl: I give up. You won.

LA_357SIG
11-11-2012, 00:16
So the TAVOR has a longer sight radius than a AUG A3, really? The "dong" fore grip on a AUG is flip upable!

MrMurphy, I can make the AUG AMBI in about three minutes. Just flip the ejection port cover to the right side and turn the bolt 180 degrees and done. Is that too much work for you? Or does it take too long? And trying to compare a TAVOR with an AUG is a assault to an serious AUG owner/user, and to the bullpup design.

One more thing MrMurphy, have you spoken to the federal Mars attack troops too? If so what do they say about their AUG's?

Well? I didn't have an AUG A3. So how would I have known? The MSAR STG-556 was an AUG style bullpup. I didn't like it. AR-15 sights were not complementary to the STG-556 Picatinny rail depth and height. Didn't like the dong. Flipped up still didn't provide a comfortable position for the support hand.

And I could be wrong, but doesn't the AUG require a Left hand Bolt to eject out of the left side of the receiver?

AND the TAVOR has it's own iron sights DESIGNED FOR THE TAVOR. Not retrofitting another sighting system for different weapons system that shares a common picatinny rail system.

Myke_Hart
11-11-2012, 06:14

Here is my glock carbine, Mine is the version that takes Glock 22 mags. There is also a Glock 19 version too.

Made by Keltec and a little hard to find. Keltec sub 2000.
Mine has been modified a little. :whistling:
Super reliable and a tack driver! Will use your glock mags!
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll264/myke_hart/Rifles%20Black/IMG_7429.jpg
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll264/myke_hart/Rifles%20Black/IMG_7426.jpg
Folds to 16" for storage
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll264/myke_hart/Rifles%20Black/IMG_7451.jpg

They look like this when you buy them.
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll264/myke_hart/Rifles%20Black/IMG_7358.jpg

This is the carbine glock should have made!

SJC 3081
11-11-2012, 09:43
I would say HK 91 and 93 are the Glock of rifles. But the Colt 6920 is also a contender.

Darkangel1846
11-11-2012, 11:45
So far my Sig 556R out performs all my AKs and matches my AR's

RWBlue
11-11-2012, 14:21
Here is my glock carbine, Mine is the version that takes Glock 22 mags. There is also a Glock 19 version too.

Made by Keltec and a little hard to find. Keltec sub 2000.
Mine has been modified a little. :whistling:
Super reliable and a tack driver! Will use your glock mags!
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll264/myke_hart/Rifles%20Black/IMG_7429.jpg
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll264/myke_hart/Rifles%20Black/IMG_7426.jpg
Folds to 16" for storage
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll264/myke_hart/Rifles%20Black/IMG_7451.jpg

They look like this when you buy them.
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll264/myke_hart/Rifles%20Black/IMG_7358.jpg

This is the carbine glock should have made!

It looks odd. Maybe like it should be used as a movie prop.

But how goes it shoot?

KennyFSU
11-11-2012, 15:52
I've owned one; they are extremely accurate but if you are a big guy with long arms it can be awkward to shoot at first; just takes some getting used to.

The trigger guard on mine broke and had to be sent in for repairs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swh_longhorn
11-12-2012, 11:20
I really appreciate everyone's input. It's new world to me, so I'm wallowing around trying to get through all the terminology. Might take awhile... I've got an old used brain that wasn't that good to start with.

Confused or not, y'all been a big help to get pointed in the right direction. Thanks again.

txgunguy
11-12-2012, 12:22

Truth. Or get a complete bcm upper and assemble your lower. ANY quality lower is fine.

Ajfb004
11-12-2012, 15:10
Consider checking out Rock River. We were buying the at 850.00 each last I checked. That's with a quad rail a nd their 2 stage trigger. They have proven to be pretty reliable and well constructed