NY1 Spring and 3.5 Connector -- Why Do You Like It? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : NY1 Spring and 3.5 Connector -- Why Do You Like It?

robhic
11-06-2012, 09:42
I initially put a NY1 spring in my GEN3 G26 because I liked the idea of having a spring that wouldn't go bad for a carry gun. OK, I really, really, really wanted to like the spring but I shot pretty poorly (worse than normal :supergrin:) using the OEM 5.5 connector.

I did grip exercises for a while and tried again. No dice! So I took it out. I didn't want to use a different (3.5) connector because of it being a carry weapon. But I've seen a lot of folks who use the NY1 and 3.5 connector and really like that setup. I read Glock recommends/allows that for a carry gun now.

So I put that combination in my G26 last night and it seemed OK. Gonna go shoot it tomorrow but I'm curious why people really like this setup. Besides the durability of the spring, is there another reason you prefer this?

To me, it seems very similar to the 5.5 OEM trigger with a barely noticeable "tock" reset instead of the normal tactile "click" that the OEM setup gives. I fooled myself before with the 5.5 connector and NY1 spring so I have to actually go fire the gun to see if this newer combination is "all that".

Thanks for any opinions.

JBUS
11-06-2012, 09:51
NY1 & 3.5# Ghost Ultimate drop in.

I just did this in my Gen4 19 and Gen3 17.

I took them to Sunday's range trip anf I'll admit it took a few magazines to get used to.

At first I thought I'd wasted my money as I was off my normal grouping alittle bit.

I stepped back and took a short break and loaded up mags and came back to the line.

I shot better and as the day went on it felt better.

Am I wrong to assume that the new NY1 spring juat needed to be broken in?

I only ask the above stupid question as when I dry fired it at home it felt so heavy. As the day went on the trigger felt better and not as heavy of a pull.

JBP55
11-06-2012, 10:01
Very few Glock shooters prefer this set up.

cowboy1964
11-06-2012, 11:17
It's a matter of just getting used to it.

I really like the NY-1. I've tried several connectors. I'm ok with the stock connector and the NY-1. It's not that heavy.

Arc Angel
11-06-2012, 12:26
I don't like this combination; and I think the, 'It won't break and the gun will still fire' routine is greatly overblown. (I can make any Glock fire repeatedly without a trigger spring being installed.)

Keyhole
11-06-2012, 12:36
I don't like this combination; and I think the, 'It won't break and the gun will still fire' routine is greatly overblown. (I can make any Glock fire repeatedly without a trigger spring being installed.)

Learn cool things in Armorer's Class!

PM720
11-06-2012, 13:44
I had the NY1 & "-" in my G30 for a short while and I really kind of liked it. It had a much more positive reset IMHO. However I did wind up taking it out because it was TOO different than the Vanek I use in my G22 for GSSF. I imagine like anything it just takes getting used to. I mean, I even like the trigger in my LCP that EVERYONE hates!! :whistling:

Scott

lyodbraun
11-06-2012, 14:57
I have the NY1 and factory minus connector in all my Glocks.. I really like the feeling of it more of a crisp pull not allot of take up.. IMO.. and i shoot this set up the best... Over other triggers..

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

barth
11-06-2012, 15:09
I initially put a NY1 spring in my GEN3 G26 because I liked the idea of having a spring that wouldn't go bad for a carry gun. OK, I really, really, really wanted to like the spring but I shot pretty poorly (worse than normal :supergrin:) using the OEM 5.5 connector.

I did grip exercises for a while and tried again. No dice! So I took it out. I didn't want to use a different (3.5) connector because of it being a carry weapon. But I've seen a lot of folks who use the NY1 and 3.5 connector and really like that setup. I read Glock recommends/allows that for a carry gun now.

So I put that combination in my G26 last night and it seemed OK. Gonna go shoot it tomorrow but I'm curious why people really like this setup. Besides the durability of the spring, is there another reason you prefer this?

To me, it seems very similar to the 5.5 OEM trigger with a barely noticeable "tock" reset instead of the normal tactile "click" that the OEM setup gives. I fooled myself before with the 5.5 connector and NY1 spring so I have to actually go fire the gun to see if this newer combination is "all that".

Thanks for any opinions.

My understanding, from our own GT Self Defense expert Mas Ayoob,
is that Glock approves the "-" connector with NY1 for carry.

A Glock OEM "-" connector, or a third party 3.5 connector (Like Ghost),
and NY1 produces ~6 lbs trigger.
This is actually a little heavier than standard OEM Glock at ~5.5 lbs.

I would recommend you give this set up a try.

Personally, after trying a variety of connectors and springs,
I've settled on a Ghost 3.5 drop in and an NY1.
Although I found the Glock OEM "-" connector to be nearly identical to the Ghost.
And I do appreciate the advantage of having a carry gun with nothing but factory parts inside.

IMHO, the 3.5/NY1 trigger has a more positive reset and reduces
the light pre-travel, two stage, trigger feel of a standard Glock trigger.

I did try the NY1 with the standard connector.
And although I shot fine with it.
That set up felt overly heavy to me as well.

The Ghost Rocket 3.5 short reset with standard springs
was fun at the range, but very light.
And I had some unintended second shots (short reset).
Sure I could get used to it.
But with an adrenalin dump, at my worst, in a self defense situation?
No thanks, not for me.

robhic
11-06-2012, 16:28
A Glock OEM "-" connector, or a third party 3.5 connector (Like Ghost), and NY1 produces ~6 lbs trigger.

The Ghost drop-in is the connector I am using. I still can't describe the break or reset as "crisp". It doesn't seem to have any detents or whatever and just travels fairly smoothly as you pull it back without much of ANYthing happening until it fires. I'm gonna give it at least a 200 round test tomorrow.

Quite a mix of yays and nays on this setup. It does seem like a like it or hate it setup. Thanks to all for the replies.

barth
11-06-2012, 16:36
The Ghost drop-in is the connector I am using. I still can't describe the break or reset as "crisp". It doesn't seem to have any detents or whatever and just travels fairly smoothly as you pull it back without much of ANYthing happening until it fires. I'm gonna give it at least a 200 round test tomorrow.

Quite a mix of yays and nays on this setup. It does seem like a like it or hate it setup. Thanks to all for the replies.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
I'm guessing you haven't even fired a single live round out the gun with the 3.5/NY1 have you?

Dry fire is no real test of a trigger to me.
But triggers are all about personal preference.
Just like ergonomics and recoil.
Ask three shooters and get three answers.

You need to figure out what you favor.
No one can do that for you.

Mattkcc
11-06-2012, 20:47
I have NY1 and 3.5 connector on all my Glocks. The trigger is smoother and more consistent. Also, it gives me a trigger similar to my S&W revolvers. I never liked the mushy standard trigger and it didn't break clean. I carried Glock 17 and 23 for 16 years so it did take a bit to get use to the NY1 trigger. I do get slightly better groups and less low to the left (lefty). The NY1 trigger does seem to break-in after a couple of hundred rounds. I also noticed it slows me down just enough during rapid fire that my follow-up rounds aren't going off before the gun recovers from recoil.

Arc Angel
11-07-2012, 02:37
Learn cool things in Armorer's Class!

:shocked: Oh, Oh! OK, I admit it:

I'm a, 'closet armorer'. It's not something I wanted; it's just something that happened. :tongueout:

bobandmikako
11-07-2012, 04:17
I've tried the NY1 spring with LWD 3.5 connectors or Glock factory minus connectors in a few different guns. Neither of these combinations ever worked for me personally. I find I do best with a polished stock set-up. Everyone is different.

robhic
11-07-2012, 08:48
Correct me if I'm wrong.
I'm guessing you haven't even fired a single live round out the gun with the 3.5/NY1 have you?

Dry fire is no real test of a trigger to me.

You are correct, sir! I tried the NY1 and the stock 5.5 connector and that's the one I failed miserably with. Haven't shot the NY1 and 3.5 until about an hour or two from now!!! :supergrin:

So I guess I'll see what happens live. If it doesn't work for me, I still have the OEM connector and spring on the table for when I come back and clean. Might put the OEM stuff back in at the time.

barth
11-07-2012, 15:09
You are correct, sir! I tried the NY1 and the stock 5.5 connector and that's the one I failed miserably with. Haven't shot the NY1 and 3.5 until about an hour or two from now!!! :supergrin:

So I guess I'll see what happens live. If it doesn't work for me, I still have the OEM connector and spring on the table for when I come back and clean. Might put the OEM stuff back in at the time.

I hope you like it.

The sweetness is you can test and try combinations yourself
in a relatively easy and inexpensive manor.
No harm no foul.

I actually bought;
1) Glock OEM "-" connector
2) Ghost Rocket 3.5 short reset connector
3) Ghost 3.5 drop in connector
and
4) Glock OEM NY1 spring
plus
5) G17 smooth trigger

So four connectors x two springs = 8 combinations.
Think I tried five, each with 200 rounds of live fire,
before I found the set up that I favor.

It's a process worth going though IMHO.
Plus when I started buying Heckler and Koch guns.
I already had a real good idea as to the trigger set up I wanted in advance.

Good Luck!

Dave.1
11-07-2012, 15:35
When I got my first Glock in 2008 I hadn't been shooting/carrying anything but revolvers, so I went with the NY1 "-" connector combo because it did have a more revolver like pull.

I switched to stock Glock connector and spring after about 6 months just because all I was shooting was Glocks.

This past year I've been working with lots of DA/SA autos so I switched my carry Glock back to the NY1 combo. I like it so far. It makes going from one pistol brand to the other easier for me.

Dave

robhic
11-07-2012, 16:45
Interestingly (or not ...), the NY1 with the 3.5 connector (as opposed to the OEM 5.5 connector) was a whole different animal. I was comfortable with the stock setup and a 5.5# trigger. I hated the NY1 with the OEM connector.

Today with the 3.5 connector and NY1 spring, I kinda liked it. My shooting wasn't markedly different one way or another and I still have that durability issue in my mind (which I like).

I plan to keep this setup for a while longer than the 200 rds I shot today and see if things go one way or another. This could get interesting. It really wasn't bad....

SCmasterblaster
11-07-2012, 16:52
I like the 3.5 connector, but not the NY trigger pull.

barth
11-07-2012, 19:01
Interestingly (or not ...), the NY1 with the 3.5 connector (as opposed to the OEM 5.5 connector) was a whole different animal. I was comfortable with the stock setup and a 5.5# trigger. I hated the NY1 with the OEM connector.

Today with the 3.5 connector and NY1 spring, I kinda liked it. My shooting wasn't markedly different one way or another and I still have that durability issue in my mind (which I like).

I plan to keep this setup for a while longer than the 200 rds I shot today and see if things go one way or another. This could get interesting. It really wasn't bad....

Good to here.
I really don't think it's much different than the standard Glock trigger either.
But it just might grow on you.

Every time I shot it, I liked it more.
And after a few thousand rounds down range - now I'm hooked.

Enjoy your Glock!

SCmasterblaster
11-07-2012, 19:07
I like the 3.5 connector, but not the NY trigger pull.

I like the reduced trigger pull.

Tkz
11-08-2012, 01:34
The 3.5 connector only is my favorite. Short, smooth, just a hint of pressure before bang. I tried all the combo's.

kashdaddy
11-08-2012, 03:39
i am not fond of it.

Caustic Mopar
11-08-2012, 04:48
I love it! I worked for a security company that ha jobs in both DC and VA, I had to carry a revolver for work on the DC sites and a Glock on a the VA site, It made for a similar trigger pull between the two guns! I really need to get my new G27

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

ca survivor
11-08-2012, 11:47
I've tried the NY1 spring with LWD 3.5 connectors or Glock factory minus connectors in a few different guns. Neither of these combinations ever worked for me personally. I find I do best with a polished stock set-up. Everyone is different.

I feel the same way.