Suppressors under the handguard [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Suppressors under the handguard

bigmoney890
11-06-2012, 19:05
My recent suppressor thread got me thinking about dropping a couple of tax stamps when I get my taxes back (assuming i'll still legally be able to own one). But if I get one, I want it to fit under the handguards and be over all length of around 16" inches.

2 questions to start:

1. What handguards between 12-15 inches will have enough room to run a suppressor?

2. Would a 10.5" barrel be about the right size to make this happen?

Thanks in advance!

WoodenPlank
11-06-2012, 19:20
If you're trying to avoid an SBR tax stamp, you'll have to permanently attach your suppressor to that barrel.

Handguards will depend on the size and attachment system of the can. Many suppressors can't run under a standard handguard as you can't lock or unlock the attachment mechanism once inside the handguard, unless you're willing to cut a sizeable chunk out to reach it.

bigmoney890
11-06-2012, 19:24
Well i'm gonna start with the SBR stamp and then later the suppressor, but I want to go ahead and get the rail I want rather than spending a ton of money on the suppressor, stamp, and rail at the same time.

And for the locking of suppressors, I recently watched a couple of videos on suppressors and one company has a ratchet type of lock, but I cant remember which one it was. Would this type work? Or what about a drop in rail so I can remove the top/bottom of the rail to access the suppressor locking mechanism?

And btw, your money is otw plank.

WoodenPlank
11-06-2012, 19:33
Well i'm gonna start with the SBR stamp and then later the suppressor, but I want to go ahead and get the rail I want rather than spending a ton of money on the suppressor, stamp, and rail at the same time.

And for the locking of suppressors, I recently watched a couple of videos on suppressors and one company has a ratchet type of lock, but I cant remember which one it was. Would this type work? Or what about a drop in rail so I can remove the top/bottom of the rail to access the suppressor locking mechanism?

And btw, your money is otw plank.

If you want a can under the handguards, you'll need all three in place to shoot it safely, as you don't want the emuzzle behind the end of the rail with the can detached.

Ratchet types usually have a small lever that must be lifted to unlock the can. Until you know EXACTLY how that lever will be oriented on YOUR setup (it'll differ gun to gun) you can't figure out where you'll need to cut the rail.

For this kind of setup, a direct thread-mount suppressor is the easiest to use.

Either way, I don't think this type of setup is usually worth the trouble. You're adding a LOT of weight and complexity for little to no gain.

Also, got the PM. Once it's here, your rail will be headed your way.

bigmoney890
11-06-2012, 19:36
If you want a can under the handguards, you'll need all three in place to shoot it safely, as you don't want the emuzzle behind the end of the rail with the can detached.

Ratchet types usually have a small lever that must be lifted to unlock the can. Until you know EXACTLY how that lever will be oriented on YOUR setup (it'll differ gun to gun) you can't figure out where you'll need to cut the rail.

For this kind of setup, a direct thread-mount suppressor is the easiest to use.

Either way, I don't think this type of setup is usually worth the trouble. You're adding a LOT of weight and complexity for little to no gain.

Also, got the PM. Once it's here, your rail will be headed your way.

Damn. Of course i'd pick something that's more trouble than it's worth!

janice6
11-06-2012, 19:36
My state is too liberal for suppressors. I would love to have one, or more.

LA_357SIG
11-06-2012, 20:14
Ever consider a 9mm integrally suppressed AR15?

Reason being is 5.56 is hard to suppress. Either you get the supersonic crack of standard ammunition, the huge blowback and can stress of a SBR, The .22lr like velocity and finicky operation of subsonic ammo.

With a 9mm you get subsonic performance from standard ammo, only need 1 tax stamp and nearly all parts are AR15 compatible.

IMOYMMVMTFBWY.

Walt_NC
11-06-2012, 20:20
OP: Plank nailed it. Why not just go with the 10.5" barrel with a 6" suppressor? The shorty cans from the last few years (there are literally dozen to choose from) are every bit as quiet as the 10-12" cans from a decade ago - plus the locking mechanisms, minimal POI shifts and repeatability of the new cans are miles above their predecessors.

bigmoney890
11-06-2012, 20:22
Ever consider a 9mm integrally suppressed AR15?

Reason being is 5.56 is hard to suppress. Either you get the supersonic crack of standard ammunition, the huge blowback and can stress of a SBR, The .22lr like velocity and finicky operation of subsonic ammo.

With a 9mm you get subsonic performance from standard ammo, only need 1 tax stamp and nearly all parts are AR15 compatible.

IMOYMMVMTFBWY.

If I were going that route, i'd slap a suppressor on a glock.

I'm not looking to make the gun super quiet, but I want to able to bring it down to a manageable level and have it hearing safe.

Does anyone know if a drop-in rail would work instead of a free float?

bigmoney890
11-06-2012, 20:27
OP: Plank nailed it. Why not just go with the 10.5" barrel with a 6" suppressor? The shorty cans from the last few years (there are literally dozen to choose from) are every bit as quiet as the 10-12" cans from a decade ago - plus the locking mechanisms, minimal POI shifts and repeatability of the new cans are miles above their predecessors.

That's what I plan I had planned on doing, but i wanted the rail to go over the suppressor. It's more of an aesthetic reason than anything, as I think they looking way better than a normal SBR with a can and a short rail

If you are having trouble visualizing what I mean, here is a picture. But my gun being a 300BLK ideally for optimal suppression
http://nullbits.foxxz.net/albums/gun/IMG_4462_1200.jpg

WoodenPlank
11-06-2012, 20:28
That's what I plan I had planned on doing, but i wanted the rail to go over the suppressor. It's more of an aesthetic reason than anything, as I think they looking way better than a normal SBR with a can and a short rail

If you are having trouble visualizing what I mean, here is a picture. But my gun being a 300BLK ideally for optimal suppression

http://nullbits.foxxz.net/albums/gun/IMG_4462_1200.jpg

That's a 9mm...... :whistling:

bigmoney890
11-06-2012, 20:29
I know, I know, but I said i wanted a 300BLK. It's the first picture I found when I searched

bigmoney890
11-06-2012, 20:31
There, that better plank? :rofl:

http://www.evike.com/images/large/AEG_GG_BB_CQBR_lg.jpg

bigmoney890
11-07-2012, 14:38
Found this rail that is specifically made for suppressors. Anyone have any input on seekins precision?

http://www.seekinsprecision.com/quad-rails-hand-guards/bar-quad-rail.html

Roger1079
11-07-2012, 15:51
My SBR is a 9mm AR-15 with a 5" 3 lug barrel, 9" Spikes BAR rail, and a SWR Octane-9 HD suppressor. I know it is 9mm, but that setup is great for me. Suppressor sticks out about 4" from the end of the barrel and the 3 lug makes attaching and removing it quick and simple. Another upside is the suppressor also fits my Glock 19 with only the addition of a threaded barrel and a change of the mount back to the 1/2x28. If I remember right, the BAR rail comes in 12" and will definitely fit the suppressor with room to spare.

bigmoney890
11-07-2012, 16:04
My SBR is a 9mm AR-15 with a 5" 3 lug barrel, 9" Spikes BAR rail, and a SWR Octane-9 HD suppressor. I know it is 9mm, but that setup is great for me. Suppressor sticks out about 4" from the end of the barrel and the 3 lug makes attaching and removing it quick and simple. Another upside is the suppressor also fits my Glock 19 with only the addition of a threaded barrel and a change of the mount back to the 1/2x28. If I remember right, the BAR rail comes in 12" and will definitely fit the suppressor with room to spare.

Thanks, just looked it up! It's about the same price as the Seekins. As a matter of fact, they look to be the same exact rail :dunno:

It's between these two rails at the moment, but i'm still undecided on the suppressor itself. I didn't learn much from my recent suppressor thread. I'm looking strongly at the YHM 7.62 Phantom QD for ease of attachment and removal, but i've also been looking at the AAC 762 SDN-6. I am leaning the YHM because of the QD and since space will be an issue, this allows me to remove the suppressor without cutting my rail to accommodate the removal

Roger1079
11-08-2012, 08:31
Thanks, just looked it up! It's about the same price as the Seekins. As a matter of fact, they look to be the same exact rail :dunno:

It's between these two rails at the moment, but i'm still undecided on the suppressor itself. I didn't learn much from my recent suppressor thread. I'm looking strongly at the YHM 7.62 Phantom QD for ease of attachment and removal, but i've also been looking at the AAC 762 SDN-6. I am leaning the YHM because of the QD and since space will be an issue, this allows me to remove the suppressor without cutting my rail to accommodate the removalI have a YHM Mite in .22 (which most people say is garbage) and have had no issues or complaints other than it not being user serviceable anymore after about 200 rounds through it. Plenty quiet and fairly inexpensive before the cost of the stamp. The SWR Octane-9 HD is a very well built can. Bottom line is, you really can't go wrong with any of the larger manufacturers. Just find the middle ground of what best suits both your build and budget and you should be happy with your purchase.

Also, looking at the seekins site, they are the same rail right down to the price and name. I would go with whichever has them available in the shortest amount of time. (if they are not in stock of course)

MARSH1
11-10-2012, 23:27
Found this rail that is specifically made for suppressors. Anyone have any input on seekins precision?

http://www.seekinsprecision.com/quad-rails-hand-guards/bar-quad-rail.html

Anything made by Glen Seekins is top tier

bigmoney890
11-11-2012, 20:05
Anything made by Glen Seekins is top tier

Thanks Marshall. I'm either ordering from Seekins or Spike's, whichever is in stock at the time I order.