Glock 33 for Colt Detective Special [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Glock 33 for Colt Detective Special

JesseA
11-07-2012, 07:58
I was planning on taking my G 33 to a big gun show this weekend until I got the opportunity to trade it straight up for a 1945 Colt Detective Special. The Colt is a first generation and one of 1000 made. I think I could get more for the Colt or keep it and it might go up in value. Any thoughts?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

dhgeyer
11-07-2012, 09:17
I would do that in a heartbeat. Love those old Colts. You can always get another Glock. Those collectable old guns are getting scarce, and it's a great deal if the Colt is in decent shape.

With a lot of use some of the internal parts of the old Colt DA lockwork (as opposed to the post 1967 - 69 new lockwork) wear out and need to be replaced. Make sure you or someone who knows those old Colts looks it over. If it's worn internally the parts have to be obtained and then hand fitted by someone who knows how.

bac1023
11-07-2012, 10:05
Wrong forum, but great choice on the Colt DS. I've got one myself.

I'd post this in General Firearms.

G26S239
11-07-2012, 18:23
Do it. The Colt D frames are the best 38 snubbies.

SCmasterblaster
11-07-2012, 18:33
Do it. The Colt gun is a rare find.

257 roberts
11-07-2012, 18:36
the deal would be done if it were me!!

ignantmike
11-07-2012, 18:48
in a heart beat.....

et45
11-07-2012, 19:09
yank the other guys arm off before he changes his mind

JesseA
11-07-2012, 19:19
Did it! First Gen from 1945.

Bruce M
11-07-2012, 19:38
Looks like a great trade to me.

dhgeyer
11-07-2012, 19:46
Very nice! You did well. Square butt "Dick Specials" are unusual. Many years ago, like early 1980's, I had the immediate predecessor of your gun. It looked pretty much the same, but was made in 1926. They only made it for one year. As I say, it looked pretty much like what you have, but had not been renamed the Detective Special. It was just a 2" Police Positive Special.

It was a bit worn on the inside. I had to get a new pawl (hand) and cylinder locking bolt. I had to hand fit them to the gun, as the original parts had been.

Another interesting thing about the one I had was the charge holes (chambers). They were bored straight through. With a short enough bullet, that gun would chamber a 357 Magnum round. Of course I was not stupid enough to fire it that way, but it was a curious feature until I realized that the 357 Magnum was not introduced until 1935. Since the gun was made in 1926, there was no reason to restrict the chambers to prevent inserting the longer 357 round. So they just bored them right through.

It wasn't particularly collectable at the time I had it. I bought it as a relatively inexpensive carry piece. I only had it for a couple of years. Wish I had it now!

SCmasterblaster
11-07-2012, 20:02
It is odd how things change as we get older. Twenty years ago I would have gone for the Glock. It is a better shooter/defense gun. Now in my 50's I look for the better investment.

G26S239
11-07-2012, 20:10
Did it! First Gen from 1945.

:thumbsup:

dhgeyer
11-07-2012, 20:12
Not to hijack the thread, but on a related topic I just today bought a Colt Trooper 357 Magnum. I just looked it up, and it's first year of production - 1954. I always get delayed on the background check, so it'll be a day or two before I have it. The grips are very clean. The gun has some carry wear but is tight and has not been shot much. It will clean up very well. I have found that Brownell's Oxfo Blue matches the finish on the Colt revolvers from that period, and lasts many times longer than other cold blue solutions. There's some surface rust on the bright hammer, but that will buff out. Give me a couple of hours in the shop and it'll be a pretty sharp looking piece. And I'll have the sense to hang on to this one!

dhgeyer
11-07-2012, 20:30
Oh, and Jesse, here's another little fun tidbit. With those old DA Colts there's a little thing you can do. First make sure it's unloaded (standard disclaimer). Then work the action so the trigger is pulled - single or double action - doesn't matter. You don't have to dry fire it: you can hold the hammer while you do it. Then, hold the trigger back not quiiiite all the way. There will be the slight side to side play in the cylinder that revolvers always have. Now, pull the trigger firmly all the way back and try to wiggle the cylinder. There will be no play whatsoever. Totally solid.

The cylinder rotates clockwise. The hand, which is connected to the trigger, presses upward on the ratchet on the cylinder. This pushes the cylinder against the cylinder locking bolt, which is off center to the right of the inside frame. So, with pressure on the trigger, nothing can move! And, with this setup, the hand/ratchet act as the trigger stop. On a gun with little wear the trigger doesn't move much in single action mode. That's a quick way to test how tight the gun is. If the trigger has a lot of movement to the rear before it immobilizes the cylinder, the action's got some wear on it.

Don't mean to ramble on and on. Just thought you might find this stuff interesting since you have an example to play with.