Best loading manual for these loads... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Best loading manual for these loads...

abq87120
11-07-2012, 07:12
I've seen questions about everything on this forum but those for which loading manual is best.

I have the Lyman 49th. I load 9mm, 40 S&W, 357 Sig, 44 Mag and 30.06. I am also a noob.

Just wondering, is there a consensus on which loading manual is best. Also, I haven't looked but is there reloading software that is periodically updatable?

Dan in ABQ

F106 Fan
11-07-2012, 07:41
I think the consensus is that you need more than one manual and it looks like you are headed that way anyway.

Hornady 8th Edition is nice because it gives a range of loads with corresponding velocities rather than just a min and max.

Speer Reloading Manual #14 is very nice and the introductory sections are outstanding. The problem I have with Speer is that their loads are so much higher than anyone else's.

I don't often use Lyman but Hornady and Speer are right in front of me.

You could add "Modern Reloading" Second Edition if you want to see what Lee recommends.

Alliant Powder and Hodgdon also have both web information and printed manuals

http://www.alliantpowder.com/resources/catalog.aspx
http://hodgdon.com/store/

Hodgdon has an Annual reloading manual that is around $12 but the 2012 version is not available. Watch the site for the 2013 edition.

Accurate Powder also had a downloadable guide:
http://www.accuratepowder.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/accurate_load_data_3.5.pdf

I tend to use Hornady but I have all the others as a cross-reference.

For rifle, add Sierra first, then Berger, Nosler and Norma manuals. In fact, for rifle ballistics, add the Sierra Suite V6 as well as the manual. Very nice product.

Richard

Zombie Steve
11-07-2012, 07:42
Lyman is my favorite. Speer 14 is also very useful. Hornady is so-so, Nosler is so-so.

Sierra software is a good investment. Their reloading data, plus you can pull up any manufacturer's bullet in the ballistics software and plug it in. Very handy when you're loading rifle.

SJ 40
11-07-2012, 08:13
You will end up with a book self of them or in my case more than one self.
The other day a friend dropped by and wondered if I might have data for a powder that no book listed.
I grabbed the Speer book from 1967,one of the first manuals I bought and there was the data he was after. Moral never weed them out after you have bought them. SJ 40

F106 Fan
11-07-2012, 08:38
You will end up with a book self of them or in my case more than one self.
The other day a friend dropped by and wondered if I might have data for a powder that no book listed.
I grabbed the Speer book from 1967,one of the first manuals I bought and there was the data he was after. Moral never weed them out after you have bought them. SJ 40

And you can sometimes get back versions of Speer from Alibris.com. They sell used books.

I got copies of Speer #9 and #10 that way.

Richard

sourdough44
11-07-2012, 08:54
I'd also factor in what makes/types of bullets you plan to load. When able I like to skim through a manual from the make of the bullets I plan to reload.

I like my Sierra manual too. I have most of them, good reading & reference.

Three-Five-Seven
11-07-2012, 09:47
My go-to sources of information for the calibers you mention are: Hodgdon's Online, Hodgdon's Free Loading manual, Accurate Arms Free Loading manual, and the Speer Manual (of course).

Colorado4Wheel
11-07-2012, 10:26
I use Lyman and the manufactures website. Lee is a distant, distant third.

fredj338
11-07-2012, 12:19
The Lyman #49 & Speer #14 are what I recommend ALL reloaders have on their bench. Cross ref w/ the powder manuf. Lee, my last choice in reloading manuals.

Kentguy
11-07-2012, 12:57
:agree: