124g JHP Hornady vs Precision Delta [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 124g JHP Hornady vs Precision Delta

Kentguy
11-07-2012, 08:15
Greetings everyone.

I could use your thoughts on this; for quite some time now I have been using Hornday's 124g XTP HP's for some 9mm loads but I would like to try Precision Delta's brand of JHP's. I have always used PD for 124g FMJ bullets and love em, but have not tried their 124g JHP bullets.

Has anyone every compared these two? (outside of the huge price difference).

These are not going to be used as just another "target" round, so performance is also a key factor.

I would appreciate any thoughts/advise you could offer.

TX Archer
11-07-2012, 09:24
These are not going to be used as just another "target" round, so performance is also a key factor.
I'm not sure what you mean by this. Are you saying you plan to use them for self-defense/personal defense? Or just that you need extreme accuracy?

I shoot them but I can't compare to Hornady. The one thing I can add is that they're not intended for defensive use. They are purely target bullets and I would not count on them to expand if that's the "performance" you're referring to.

Colorado4Wheel
11-07-2012, 10:14
Hornady are much nicer then PD in every way.

dkf
11-07-2012, 11:04
The profile of the PD is almost exactly like the XTP. For range use of SHTF self defense (when you run out of good JHPs) they are sufficient. For regular self defense duty you are best off spending the extra money on the XTPs. The PD is more suited for target duty, that is what I use them for.(see avatar)

fredj338
11-07-2012, 12:17
The XTP is designed as a SD bullet, the PD is designed as a target bullet. All HP are not the same. Buy the PD for practice & load the XTP if you have to load your own SD ammo.

Kentguy
11-07-2012, 12:54
Thanks guys, that's was my thinking as well (just for target use) but I just wasn't sure.

njl
11-07-2012, 18:04
Some target JHP will expand, some don't. I haven't tested PD or MG 124gr JHP. I have shot Zero 230gr JHP into jugs of water, and there was some expansion and the jacket was shed. That said, without at least doing some testing, you'd be foolish to rely on target JHPs for SD in anything other than a SHTF situation in which it was all you had. OTOH, it's all about placement...so with good placement, will the target shrug it off and say "heh...that was just a target JHP...nice try"?

jeffreybehr
11-08-2012, 09:59
Some target JHP will expand, some don't. ..."?

...and most, at least in my experience with maybe a half-dozen target-intended HP bullets, expand too much to be used for PD.

Kentguy
11-08-2012, 12:03
jeffreybehr,

"...and most, at least in my experience with maybe a half-dozen target-intended HP bullets, expand too much to be used for PD."

I would be interested to know what you mean by "expand too much to be used for personal defense" Are you speaking of "over-penetration" or something else?

My original intent was to come up with a JHP bullet that I could use in a home/self defense application. I have come up with some very nice loads using the Hornady 124g XTP HP bullets. However what I was looking for was an alternative (less expensive) bullet, that wouldn't compromise performance.

I can pick up a box of Hornady 124g XTP's for $15.75 + tax/100 (Powder Valley), which is not too bad at all. I was looking at Precision Delta's 124g JHP bullets ($86/1,000) which is much cheaper. But it is no bargain if I am going to sacrifice quality and performance.

Unless I can find a better alternative... I'm going to stick with the Hornady's.

fredj338
11-08-2012, 12:59
jeffreybehr,

"...and most, at least in my experience with maybe a half-dozen target-intended HP bullets, expand too much to be used for PD."

I would be interested to know what you mean by "expand too much to be used for personal defense" Are you speaking of "over-penetration" or something else?

My original intent was to come up with a JHP bullet that I could use in a home/self defense application. I have come up with some very nice loads using the Hornady 124g XTP HP bullets. However what I was looking for was an alternative (less expensive) bullet, that wouldn't compromise performance.

I can pick up a box of Hornady 124g XTP's for $15.75 + tax/100 (Powder Valley), which is not too bad at all. I was looking at Precision Delta's 124g JHP bullets ($86/1,000) which is much cheaper. But it is no bargain if I am going to sacrifice quality and performance.

Unless I can find a better alternative... I'm going to stick with the Hornady's.

Besides the controversy of reloading your own SD/HD ammo, why the worry? Get a box of XTP, that is 100rds, more than you will need in your entire life. Then shoot the PD as practice ammo, done. You are making this too hard.
My exp w/ cheap JHP is unreliable expansion. Within the same lot, you'll get some that expand fine, some that never expand (over penetration) & some that fragment (under penetration). That is why they are target/practice bullets & not SD/HD bullets.

abq87120
11-10-2012, 19:24
I wouldn't use anything but factory ammo for SD. When that civil suit that follows the shooting situation hits, you will be painted as a blood thirsty gun slinger otherwise... Developing your own devil's ammunition built by your hand to inflict death and havoc upon the unsuspecting public.

CaptainXL
11-15-2012, 12:04
I wouldn't use anything but factory ammo for SD. When that civil suit that follows the shooting situation hits, you will be painted as a blood thirsty gun slinger otherwise... Developing your own devil's ammunition built by your hand to inflict death and havoc upon the unsuspecting public.

I agree whole heartedly.

I live in IL and cannot legally carry but when I go out of IL I do carry (Utah permit). I would never consider anything except factory ammo when carrying.

All of the SD guns in my home have factory ammo in them unless I am taking the guns to the range, at which time I unload the factory ammo and use my reloads. Once back home my guns are again loaded with factory SD loads.

Kentguy
11-15-2012, 17:52
Good point everyone,

I put an order in for some of Precision Delta's 124g JHP to be used for target practice only. You can't hardly beat $89 for 1K JHP bullets.

I have a couple of powders that I would like to experiment with using these bullets, powders that I have not used just yet, so this should fun.

Thanks again everyone.