Surefire X300 Ultra 500 lumen weapon light [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Surefire X300 Ultra 500 lumen weapon light

arushus
11-07-2012, 13:52
I just got my Surefire x300 ultra from Bot.ach this afternoon. And man is this sucker bright! I dont even know how to explain how bright it is...Honestly, it may ALMOST be too bright for clearing rooms indoors, but outdoors, you could easily make out people from a hundred or more yards away, it is ridiculous!

I bought it for my Spike's Tactical M4, and for ten extra bucks it came with a mount that mounts to the front sight so that the light is sitting at 12 o'clock. It isnt too inconvenient to reach up and turn it on, but obviously a remote switch would be much better! For as much as surefire charges, remote switches should be thrown in...naturally you have to buy a new battery door as well. All in all, to get it set up for remote switch capabilities, it would cost more than the light cost initially. Bo.tach has an excellent price on them right now, IMO, $209 for the light, and $220 for the light plus front sight mount, and as usual free shipping. But, before you order, call and make sure they are in stock, I always do this, and it always makes for a trouble-free order. However, if you are backordering with them, I'll be praying for you...

Anyway, Im sure you are all already aware of the high quality surefire is known for, and they did not disappoint this time. I dont know how they measure lumens exactly, but it does seem to be a legitimate 500 lumens based on what Ive seen from other 150 & 200 lumen lights.

D4RWlN
11-10-2012, 13:27
No pics?

Boo this man!

PS: congrats!

WoodenPlank
11-10-2012, 13:30
500 is definitely overkill for indoor use, especially in typical homes with light-colored walls.

For a dedicated ranch gun, though, the extra light could definitely be useful.

M&P15T
11-10-2012, 13:46
Most definitely need pics, see how you mounted it to your AR, how it works.

Sounds awesome.

LASTRESORT20
11-10-2012, 13:56
Is this it?

http://i568.photobucket.com/albums/ss123/aklinger74/x300u22.jpg

D4RWlN
11-10-2012, 19:51
Is this it?

Most definitely need pics, see how you mounted it to your AR, how it works.

Sounds awesome.

Did you use the mount with the built in QD socket? If so is it rotation limiting?

Cole125
11-10-2012, 19:56
Nice light, but 500 is a overkill for HD inside the house use unless you live in a mansion or a warehouse.

200 is about the sweet spot for CQB room to room clearing.

svtpwnz
11-10-2012, 21:44
+1 on pics of this on your weapon lighting up the outside.

dakrat
11-10-2012, 21:46
Nice light, but 500 is a overkill for HD inside the house use unless you live in a mansion or a warehouse.

200 is about the sweet spot for CQB room to room clearing.

I concur

arushus
11-11-2012, 16:35
I'll post a pic asap, and I agree it is a bit much for indoors, which is why it isnt mounted on my G20sf, which is what I use when things go bump in the night. Im looking at getting maybe a TLR-4 for it.

arushus
11-11-2012, 16:41
Hopefully you can see it here.

arushus
11-11-2012, 16:52
+1 on pics of this on your weapon lighting up the outside.

I tried taking a picture of it lighting up a double-wide trailer about a hundred yards away but my camera on my phone sucks, aand that's all I got...

I posted this same thread in the sights, optics, and lasers forum in the armory here, and somebody else posted some pics of it lighting up the outside.

Cole125
11-11-2012, 17:13
Hopefully you can see it here.

Your scope mount is on backwards, and your scope is way too far to the rear! The eye bell of the scope should be flush with the end of the charging handle.

Fwdftw
11-11-2012, 17:48
lol ^

walkin' trails
11-11-2012, 18:35
I had an X200. The latch holding the back cover broke. I sent it back offering to pay for repairs. I really liked that light. I got a brand new X300. Surefire is great stuff!

D4RWlN
11-11-2012, 20:54
Looks like there is a pretty nice rifle buried underneath all that stuff.

arushus
11-12-2012, 17:04
Your scope mount is on backwards, and your scope is way too far to the rear! The eye bell of the scope should be flush with the end of the charging handle.

Well, that's how I had to mount it to get they eye relief right. I use my gun with the stock out as far as it will go, so I had to move the scope farther back to be able to use it...

Matthew Courtney
11-12-2012, 17:43
Well, that's how I had to mount it to get they eye relief right. I use my gun with the stock out as far as it will go, so I had to move the scope farther back to be able to use it...

Nice light!

Do you have a large upper body and a short neck? Do you square up to the target in your usual shooting position? Those three things would combine to make the way your scope is mounted workable. If they do not apply, you may benefit by reading a rifle shooting book or taking a class. No offense is intended..... I just want everyone to be the best rifleman that they can be. What is fun today may be the only thing between Liberty and tyranny tomorrow.

arushus
11-12-2012, 17:48
Nice light!

Do you have a large upper body and a short neck? Do you square up to the target in your usual shooting position? Those three things would combine to make the way your scope is mounted workable. If they do not apply, you may benefit by reading a rifle shooting book or taking a class. No offense is intended..... I just want everyone to be the best rifleman that they can be. What is fun today may be the only thing between Liberty and tyranny tomorrow.

I appreciate the help, Ive been trying to learn all I can, Im new to rifle shooting...I just turned the mount around and re-installed it how it was supposed to be. It will work this way, It just feels a little awkward moving my head forward to see through the scope. Thanks again.

WoodenPlank
11-12-2012, 17:50
I appreciate the help, Ive been trying to learn all I can, Im new to rifle shooting...I just turned the mount around and re-installed it how it was supposed to be. It will work this way, It just feels a little awkward moving my head forward to see through the scope. Thanks again.

Your nose should be right by the rear sight and charging handle. Collapse your stock if need be to keep from craning your neck out too car.

Matthew Courtney
11-12-2012, 17:58
The Basics of Rifle Shooting: Safety and Education Division: 9780935998016: Amazon.com: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/611WMSX5nFL.@@AMEPARAM@@611WMSX5nFL

The Art Of The Rifle: Jeff Cooper: 9781581605921: Amazon.com: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51OdGNBk8OL.@@AMEPARAM@@51OdGNBk8OL

Matthew Courtney
11-12-2012, 18:03
:tongueout:Your nose should be right by the rear sight and charging handle. Collapse your stock if need be to keep from craning your neck out too car.

Once you have your scope mounted where you want it, you can index proper eye relief by always putting your head in the same place. Some folks use their nose to index eye relief. I use my hat brim and the top of the rear of the scope. As long as you find a way to always put your head in the same place in a stable, balanced way, you will be on your way.

arushus
11-12-2012, 18:26
Thanks guys!

Sucks I had to turn the mount around, I had it perfectly sighted in at 100 yds, hopefully it didnt chang poi too much...

boomhower
11-12-2012, 20:25
For me that's to bright as most of my work is inside. I'll stick with my TLR-1S. A nice wide beam and not to bright. It'd not very good outside at any distance but my usage is up close.

arushus
11-13-2012, 09:50
For me that's to bright as most of my work is inside. I'll stick with my TLR-1S. A nice wide beam and not to bright. It'd not very good outside at any distance but my usage is up close.

I really wish surefire offered a strobe function...

Drjones
11-16-2012, 09:19
1) I'm extremely jealous & sooooo disappointed they came out with this....now I'm envious since I "only" have the original that clocks in at what; 170 lum?

2) I'm the absolute *last* person in the world to ever say that something's overkill....but yeah, 500 is way, way overkill by a long shot. My standard X300 at 170 is shocking to the eye when you blast it in the pitch dark.

I still want the 500 now though.... :supergrin::supergrin:

mvician
12-30-2012, 15:30
Curious......has anyone saying 500 lumens is too bright ever used one?

samuse
12-30-2012, 20:09

Right?

I want 500 lumen strobe light and a LaRue QD mount for a mini disco-ball. And an M203 clone that launches confetti grenades.:uglylol:

SCSU74
12-30-2012, 21:43

Why? Only time I've ever used strobe an any of my lights is to signal other officers/ems. I don't see the point of strobe on a weapon light.

As an aside, IWC makes some awesome light mounts for the moe handguard and x300 if you end up not liking the current mount

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

Walt_NC
12-30-2012, 21:54
Just got my 300 ultra and ran it through a couple of shooting drills indoors and outdoors. It's noticeably brighter than the older model - I'd say that the 500 lumens effectively doubles the light's range outdoors. Inside, the light is bright but not obnoxious, even when shooting in rooms with white drywall. I'd recommend it.

Why? Only time I've ever used strobe an any of my lights is to signal other officers/ems. I don't see the point of strobe on a weapon light.

They're very disorienting when used by a team.

arushus
12-30-2012, 22:44
Right?

I want 500 lumen strobe light and a LaRue QD mount for a mini disco-ball. And an M203 clone that launches confetti grenades.:uglylol:

Ya, wanting a strobe function on a light is JUST as absurd as mounting a disco ball to a gun...really good analogy:faint:

samuse
12-31-2012, 23:38
Ya, wanting a strobe function on a light is JUST as absurd as mounting a disco ball to a gun...really good analogy:faint:

Um... I was serious.:supergrin:

SouthpawG26
12-31-2012, 23:52
The Ultra has quite a focused beam, which is clearly optimized for throw (distance) rather than spill (a wide diffuse pattern, more common on handheld flashlights).

As such, use inside a room doesn't create an overwhelming amount of reflection to blind the user, not any more than my Surefire G2Z with Malkoff M61 drop in led upgrade which puts out 260 lumens or so, but in a much wider spill pattern.

RJHUB
01-01-2013, 10:26
I like overkill.