Carry Handle Rail? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Carry Handle Rail?

EOS
11-07-2012, 15:59
I'm sure this has been visited before, but I'm new to GT, I have a Bushmaster M4a2 and have been thinking of mounting some sort of optic on this rifle and I'm not prepared to spend the money on a new upper or reciever. Just wondering what the opinions of some experienced folks on here if the mounting platform proves solid over extended firing sessions and general abuse.

MrMurphy
11-07-2012, 17:54
Basically two options.

Gooseneck rail, which puts a red dot in 'front' of the carry handle but off the handguard.

Aimpoint makes a single slot model, a few others do. Most aren't worth a crap and they were obsolete the instant flattops came to be issued. They exist solely for guys with rifles like yours. It's one of the few workable solutions (i've used one) to getting an Aimpoint or Eotech on an M16A2.

Free-floated handguard, and mounting it on same. If you're primarily a low round count range shooter, this will work. If you're running 500 rounds in a day doing drills, this may not, some optics don't like all the barrel heat (Eotechs have been known to fry doing this on occasion, especially with AKs in a similar mount) coming straight up under the optic.

For a good freefloat handguard I'd actually use, you're nearly spending as much as for an upper.

I'd recommend buying a new upper and having two.

EOS
11-07-2012, 18:37
Thanks for the info Murphy, my AR shooting can include anything from AR550 sillouettes at 100-400 yards, to measuring MOA with open sights to fast target aqquisitions at 25-50 yards I can shoot anywhere from 100-500 rounds in one range day, been thinking about taking a carbine class and wanted to show up with decent equipment. Not really a fan of Eotechs, I tend to lean towards Aimpoints. But judging from your opinion and others that may arise, I think ill just save up for a new upper because I dont exactly baby my guns. I run them hard most of the time, and I dont care to drop them or anything of the sort. So I need a positive mounting system.

Cole125
11-07-2012, 18:59
Here you go, Aimpoint mount for a carry handle. Just get a cheek riser and your good to go.

http://www.mountsplus.com/AR-15_Accessories/AR-15_Scope_Rings/ARMS-16A.html

Brian Brazier
11-07-2012, 20:46
Check ebay for the gooseneck style, the Aimpoint models go for around $20. I have a flattop but I run a carry handle, I have seen people take the Tapco carry handle rail, mount a micro red dot, and cut down the rail to the length of the micro red dot, it looks like it would work good. I have run Aimpoints, Eotechs, in a variety of different mounts, and I have come to the realization I dont need a red dot, iron sights are fine.

USMCsilver
11-07-2012, 20:49
Here you go, Aimpoint mount for a carry handle. Just get a cheek riser and your good to go.

http://www.mountsplus.com/AR-15_Accessories/AR-15_Scope_Rings/ARMS-16A.html

Those are essentially useless if shooting at different distances.

The thing is so freakin' high above the barrel, the POI will vary greatly depending on different distances. He'd be better served with NOTHING than with that.

YMMV, but I doubt it.

A gooseneck is the only rational way to go. Been there, done that, and was happy.

WoodenPlank
11-07-2012, 21:00
Those are essentially useless if shooting at different distances.

The thing is so freakin' high above the barrel, the POI will vary greatly depending on different distances. He'd be better served with NOTHING than with that.

YMMV, but I doubt it.

A gooseneck is the only rational way to go. Been there, done that, and was happy.

Gooseneck, or swap out to a flat top upper. PSA had blemished flat tops on sale recently for $50.

Brian Brazier
11-07-2012, 21:13
Used Aimpoint mount for $15 http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aimpoint-5-56mm-223-Carry-Handle-Forward-Mount-/230677074716?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35b56cd31c

Brian Brazier
11-07-2012, 21:21
New Aimpoint mount for $19 http://www.ebay.com/itm/250921429751?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2648

LA_357SIG
11-07-2012, 23:26
All things considered, A2 upper receivers sell pretty fast on ar15.com equipment exchange. (as long as they aren't outrageously priced) I would see if you can get it swapped for a flattop upper receiver locally and sell the A2 upper to recoup some money.

Chuck TX
11-08-2012, 09:05
I would get a stripped flattop upper receiver and swap it. Any other solution is going to be lacking, and you'll likely wish that's what you'd done.

You can find good deals on stripped uppers.

fnfalman
11-08-2012, 09:41
Why not get the handguard rail ala the Colt SOCOM M4 style?