Smith Vortex question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Smith Vortex question

SFW
11-07-2012, 18:38
My AR came stock with a "tactical" muzzle break. The rifle shoots very accurately (1/2 MOA @ 100 yards) but is EXTREMELY loud. As in it feels like you're being hit in the ear drum with a hammer. Not really an issue at the range, but it causes issues when hog hunting- as I don't like to wear plugs when hunting. So I installed a Smith Vortex Flash Suppressor. The rifle got much quieter, but my once 1/2 MOA rifle suddenly became a 3 MOA rifle. :shocked:

I noticed that there is a gap between the crown of the barrel and the Vortex. This void is collecting powder residue, and I feel that this is the main cause in my accuracy drop. Has anyone else experienced this issue? The muzzle break has open threads, so there is not an inclosed void for the powder to get trapped in. Any advice on flash hiders that would not have the same problem?

Big Bird
11-07-2012, 18:54
When you installed the Vortex did you put a crush washer behind it or simply tighten it to spec? You CAN over torque a flash hider and it can compress the rifling/bore at the end of the barrel. How much torque did you apply? ~35 ft lbs is max

Lastly, the Vortex is one of the most accurate Flash Hiders that you can buy. This has been proven in numerous tests you can find floating around the interweb. FWIW.

I have one on my 6.8 SPC and I can shoot sub-moa all day long.

But a Vortex just torques on with no washer/crush washer etc.

SFW
11-07-2012, 18:57
Yes, I installed in per the directions without the crush washer. I tightened to 10 ftlb per the instructions as well.

Big Bird
11-08-2012, 05:53
Yes, I installed in per the directions without the crush washer. I tightened to 10 ftlb per the instructions as well. The threads on your barrel may not be concentric--more common than you might think. Otherwise? Buy an A2 flash hider for $10 and try it...its a very effective FH for not a lot of dough and doesn't seem to be prone to the problems you can get with other muzzle devices.

SFW
11-08-2012, 07:42
Thanks guys. I ordered a Wilson Combat A2 Birdcage last night to see if it would help. We'll see.

Butcher
11-08-2012, 08:24
My Gemtech/Vortex flash hider is timed with the crush washers and torqued 40ft*lbs and I don't have any issues with accuracy

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

Mayhem like Me
11-08-2012, 08:45
Do not use a crush or torque down a vortex... they shoot themselves tight due to the design.

they also don't need to be "timed"

Butcher
11-08-2012, 09:11
Key word "need". It's optional per the instructions that come with the Gemtech G5 suppressor quick detach model of the Vortex. I wanted my lugs facing a certain direction so that's how it's arranged. Ymmv. Just wanted to illustrate that it's not *necessarily* an issue of over torquing or the use of washers for the OP's problem.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

SFW
11-08-2012, 15:41
Ok. Went to the range today. I reinstalled the Vortex to 10 FT LBS as recommended by the documentation that came with it. I shot a three round group that measured 3.026 inches. I pulled the Vortex and reinstalled the muzzle break and crush washer that came stock on the rifle, and tightened according to the specs. I fired another three round group that measured 0.175 inches. I fired several more three round groups that all measured between 0.175 and 0.213 inches. I think I'll be leaving the factory muzzle break on the rifle.

faawrenchbndr
11-08-2012, 17:08
Key word "need". It's optional per the instructions that come with the Gemtech G5 suppressor quick detach model of the Vortex. I wanted my lugs facing a certain direction so that's how it's arranged. Ymmv. Just wanted to illustrate that it's not *necessarily* an issue of over torquing or the use of washers for the OP's problem.

That model is VERY different than the standard Smith Vortex.
No comparison, other than they are both threaded onto the barrel.:whistling: