If RP was the nominee.... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : If RP was the nominee....

Slug71
11-07-2012, 19:35
Bet a lot of GOP voters are wishing RP was the candidate today... :D

HollowHead
11-07-2012, 19:40
Uh, no. HH

AK_Stick
11-07-2012, 19:43
Why would people vote for Rue Paul?

czsmithGT
11-07-2012, 19:46
But a lot of GOP voters are wishing RP was the candidate today... :D

Why would they?

Dan_ntx
11-07-2012, 19:47
I don't even think RP wishes RP was the nominee today.

A common thread among RP supporters seems to be that they believe a big crowd at a rally means unilateral support. RP was, is, and always will be a fringe candidate. Smart man...brilliant in some areas, but far from being even close to accepted or trusted by the people. Romney was not the greatest candidate, but he was much more supported and trusted than RP was and he lost. RP couldn't even beat him for the nomination.

I'm to slinging mud or name calling, but if you think RP would have done anywhere close to as well as Romney did you are not being realistic.

Jade Falcon
11-07-2012, 19:48
What about Gov. Christie? I think he would have won in a landslide. He's so popular, he doesn't even KNOW how popular he is.

tantrix
11-07-2012, 19:50
Ron being the candidate would be the absolute ONLY way I'd vote Republican.

Ragnar
11-07-2012, 19:56
But a lot of GOP voters are wishing RP was the candidate today... :D

Yeah, all the ones who didn't vote for him during the primaries.

Paul couldn't even get the nomination. What makes you think more would have voted for him than Romney?

Ragnar
11-07-2012, 19:57
What about Gov. Christie? I think he would have won in a landslide. He's so popular, he doesn't even KNOW how popular he is.

He's a RINO. You'd be whining about that if he was the nominee.

11-07-2012, 19:59
Paul is an establishment Republican who collects Social Security - same as Mittens. Except Mittens probably won't collect SS.

Restless28
11-07-2012, 20:15
Paul wasn't electable, but his predictions and warnings on the economy are becoming true.

He also worked to expose the Fed.

He did some great things.

Slug71
11-07-2012, 21:05
Yeah, all the ones who didn't vote for him during the primaries.

Paul couldn't even get the nomination. What makes you think more would have voted for him than Romney?

Because as tantrix pointed out,
A lot dems would have voted for him. He would have had the full backing from Republicans. Most Libertarians would probably have voted for him and many Independents would have voted for him.

RP supports all of the social issues that hurt Romney. Against senseless wars. Against the NDAA and Patriot Act.
He predicted and warned of the economy so know what went wrong and how to fix it.

Altaris
11-07-2012, 21:10
Ron being the candidate would be the absolute ONLY way I'd vote Republican.

I agree.

And to Dan_ntx..... I would say Ron Paul would be the most trusted person out of anyone. His stance on issues never change, and he is one of the only politicians that has a record to back up what he says. He will tell you what he will do, and I know he would do it (or at least try like hell).

frank4570
11-07-2012, 21:20

I very much like him. But I think a lot of people would have a problem with him, more than romney. I'd vote for him.

frank4570
11-07-2012, 21:22
Paul is an establishment Republican who collects Social Security - same as Mittens. Except Mittens probably won't collect SS.

That's true.

Except that it doesn't resemble reality in any way at all.

nursetim
11-07-2012, 21:26
He would have been a lame duck. His isolationist foreign policy would have created more problems than it would have solved. I listen to smarter people than myself on this. I thought the same thing of fixing our own backyard before we're go peeking over the feces of others. The world doesn't work like this anymore. On solely domestic issues, he would be my pick still. But with mooselimbs getting more emboldened, foreign policy is a major part of being POTUS. Not that HWSNBN is even remotely good at it.

I'd like to see Allen West and Ron Paul in 2016. Between the two of them and both houses cooperative, we might have a shot at pulling ourselves up.

HollowHead
11-07-2012, 21:27
Paul is an establishment Republican who collects Social Security...

What's wrong with collecting on something you've paid for? HH

Big Bird
11-07-2012, 21:28
Ron Paul couldn't even win enough votes to win the primary. Yet through the magic of his message he would somehow get elected in a general election? Whaaaaaa ha ha hah hah!!!

Ross Perot had a better shot....

Dan_ntx
11-07-2012, 21:34
I agree.

And to Dan_ntx..... I would say Ron Paul would be the most trusted person out of anyone. His stance on issues never change, and he is one of the only politicians that has a record to back up what he says. He will tell you what he will do, and I know he would do it (or at least try like hell).

I wouldn't trust RP to handle any issues not related to the economy...period. The world, and 80% of Americe, just did not take him seriously.

11-07-2012, 22:00
What's wrong with collecting on something you've paid for? HH
Paul collects SS while at the same time ranting against its insolvency and thinks it's unconstitutional. Is there not a conflict?

Harper
11-07-2012, 22:33
Ron Paul couldn't even win enough votes to win the primary. Yet through the magic of his message he would somehow get elected in a general election? Whaaaaaa ha ha hah hah!!!

There's a gap in your logic. You make it sound like the NFL playoffs. Romney didn't "win the primary", he was selected. In other words, Romney wasn't picked as the GOP nominee because that's who they wanted as president so much as it's who they thought would defeat Obama. Those people were wrong though. At one point Paul was out polling Obama heads up, when Romney was tied. Ron Paul also didn't have the platform that cost Romney the election - social issues. Paul would have picked up the libertarian vote and I believe more independents than Romney. If the media had been supportive of Paul the GOP diehards would have fell right in line. To make Ron Paul "electable" all that had to be done was change the dialogue. If the media can sell a big government liberal gun hater who invented Obamacare to republican diehards they certainly could have sold a real conservative.

Harper
11-07-2012, 22:34
Paul collects SS while at the same time ranting against its insolvency and thinks it's unconstitutional. Is there not a conflict?

No, the problem is the government mandating it not people collecting it. Think critically not emotionally.

Brucev
11-07-2012, 22:37

Ah... no. Not at all. Next question?

11-07-2012, 22:56
No, the problem is the government mandating it not people collecting it. Think critically not emotionally.
Oh, so, condemning a system while at the same time collecting from it isn't hypocritical? Think critically.

mr00jimbo
11-07-2012, 23:25
I would have loved to see ron Paul debate Obama though..rp would have owned house

voyager4520
11-07-2012, 23:57
I like Ron Paul and I'd vote for him, but he's an isolationist. I'd rather vote for his son Rand Paul.

Ragnar
11-08-2012, 03:41
Because as tantrix pointed out,
A lot dems would have voted for him.

Really? Paul's stance on the social issues and role of government would seem to say otherwise. What proof do you have?

He would have had the full backing from Republicans.

Unlikely. The Republican establishment doesn't like him. Hell, Romney was the nominee and the Republican machine wasn't fully behind him. They sure as hell wouldn't support Paul.

Clutch Cargo
11-08-2012, 04:02
Why would people vote for Rue Paul?
:rofl:

Clutch Cargo
11-08-2012, 04:05
I would have loved to see ron Paul debate Obama though..rp would have owned house

Isn't House a fictional doctor on television?

tarpleyg
11-08-2012, 04:51
The GOP needs to run a young, good-looking, energetic, Hispanic. That would get the women, Hispanics, and blacks to vote for him. Talk about a landslide....

Bren
11-08-2012, 04:52

Yeah, :upeyes: If he was the Republican nominee, he could have doubled the number of votes he got by write-ins.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Bren
11-08-2012, 04:54
The GOP needs to run a young, good-looking, energetic, Hispanic. That would get the women, Hispanics, and blacks to vote for him. Talk about a landslide....

I was going to make fun of you for suggesting we pick a candidate based on race and TV appeal...then I realized the Democrats have won 4 of the last 6 elections with candidates who were completely unqualified and with negative backgrounds, based on nothing but race, looks and image.

America has devolved to that level.

Restless28
11-08-2012, 04:54

Disagree. Until the big electoral states change to red from blue, it won't matter who runs.

It's all about the electoral college. The Dems have built a helluva firewall for generations to come.

clancy
11-08-2012, 04:55
As long as there are more people taking than making the Democratic Party is going to remain in the White House.

coastal4974
11-08-2012, 07:00
He would have lost too. Any of them would have lost because none were the perfect candidate.

Dennis in MA
11-08-2012, 07:06
Ron Paul as Republican Nominee - I predict that if that happened, it would have been a landslide win of 80 million to 20 million and carrying all but 1 or 2 states. . . .

FOR OBAMA!

Harper
11-08-2012, 08:13
Oh, so, condemning a system while at the same time collecting from it isn't hypocritical? Think critically.

You're desire to think in terms of "hypocritical" is the emotional part. Mandating that people pay into SS is wrong. Taking back something someone stole from you is not wrong. You think if criminals formed an agency and gave it an official sounding name, let's call it Sofa Security, then came in and stole your sofa, that if you accepted it back you'd be a hypocrite for condemning Sofa Security? You'd be a hypocrite if you stole sofas with the agency.

Harper
11-08-2012, 08:21
Ron Paul as Republican Nominee - I predict that if that happened, it would have been a landslide win of 80 million to 20 million and carrying all but 1 or 2 states. . . .

FOR OBAMA!

:dunno: At least there'd be a better chance of a conservative in the WH than Romney being the nominee.