Top Paying Jobs [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Top Paying Jobs

certifiedfunds
11-07-2012, 20:32
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/top-paying-jobs.html?page=1

I always look at articles like this and wonder where they actually get this income data from. It never makes sense.

geofri
11-07-2012, 20:44
Actuary seems way high.

Anyone have experience?

certifiedfunds
11-07-2012, 20:47
Actuary seems way high.

Anyone have experience?

I am told that the actuarial exam (whatever it's called) is one of the most challenging professional certification exams out there.

#1 on the list seems crazy low. Petroleum engineer seems about right. CNRA seems about right.

I'm always curious about the data set.

Ragnar
11-07-2012, 20:49
Here's a salary survey. I guess an actuary with lots of years of experience could make something close to the article.

http://www.dwsimpson.com/salary.html

HollowHead
11-07-2012, 20:52
Actuary seems way high.

Anyone have experience?

Being an actuary is as close as a human can be to a deity without having nail holes in their hands and feet. HH

hpracing007
11-07-2012, 21:01
I am told that the actuarial exam (whatever it's called) is one of the most challenging professional certification exams out there.

#1 on the list seems crazy low. Petroleum engineer seems about right. CNRA seems about right.

I'm always curious about the data set.

There's like 9 total! :wow:

I was going to make a run at it to try to break my unemployment streak but found a job before I started it, thank **** for that.

Glock!9
11-07-2012, 21:09
Should have small business owners pay rate in there..That would be more like 35,000-1,000,000

certifiedfunds
11-07-2012, 21:18
There's like 9 total! :wow:

I was going to make a run at it to try to break my unemployment streak but found a job before I started it, thank **** for that.

Be glad. If you had taken and passed the exams you'd be stuck doing actuarial work all day.

Then, one day your curiosity would get the best of you and you'd calculate your own death day and your life would never be the same.

Hines57
11-07-2012, 21:34
I thought everybody on GT made well over $100k a year.

devildog2067
11-07-2012, 21:37

$100k is only ~80th percentile...

HollowHead
11-07-2012, 21:44

Hell, I spend more than that... HH

nursetim
11-07-2012, 21:45
I was sent a recruiting email for ER doctor in ABQ paying $200-250/hour. That works out to be $400,000 plus CME and malpractice with tail coverage and that's it. I'd be happy with half that, being just a mid level provider and all.

So an ER doc makes more than a neurosurgeon, that ought to cause a few aneurysms in the surgical community.

HollowHead
11-07-2012, 21:50
I was sent a recruiting email for ER doctor in ABQ paying $200-250/hour. That works out to be $400,000 plus CME and malpractice with tail coverage and that's it. I'd be happy with half that, being just a mid level provider and all.

So an ER doc makes more than a neurosurgeon, that ought to cause a few aneurysms in the surgical community.

If true, I would imagine it's because ER docs don't get to schedule their procedures. HH

Rabbi
11-07-2012, 22:27
Bull crap.

Only the lowest paid academic Neurosurgeons make $368,000 a year....and most of the best paid academic Neurosurgeons make more than $643,000 a year. Yesh, most of these things are public domain as the salaries of docs at public medical schools are public domain. Even in Academic medicine most Neuro Chairs get close to or make more than 7 figures.

For those that dont know, Academic medicine pays less that private/group practice. A private practice Neurosurgeon, on average is going to be making 7 figures with some making mid 7 figures.

The only way that Neurosurgeons average $368,000 is if they include residents in that figure. (where for 7 years they make about 50K a year)

Most Attending Neurosurgeons wouldnt get out of their Ferrari for $368,000 a year.

Utter crap. Such lists tend to be and even more so when they try to nail what doctors make.

Rabbi
11-07-2012, 22:30
If true, I would imagine it's because ER docs don't get to schedule their procedures. HH

ER docs are actually (again, on average) on the lower end of doctor pay. Yeah, they make a good living and can work "more" hours as needed but an ER doc is more or less a shift working Internal Medicine doctor. They are not surgeons (most people confuse trauma surgeons with ER doctors, NOT the same thing....nor same pay)

certifiedfunds
11-07-2012, 22:35
Bull crap.

Only the lowest paid academic Neurosurgeons make $368,000 a year....and most of the best paid academic Neurosurgeons make more than $643,000 a year. Yesh, most of these things are public domain as the salaries of docs at public medical schools are public domain. Even in Academic medicine most Neuro Chairs get close to or make more than 7 figures.

For those that dont know, Academic medicine pays less that private/group practice. A private practice Neurosurgeon, on average is going to be making 7 figures with some making mid 7 figures.

The only way that Neurosurgeons average $368,000 is if they include residents in that figure. (where for 7 years they make about 50K a year)

Most Attending Neurosurgeons wouldnt get out of their Ferrari for $368,000 a year.

Utter crap. Such lists tend to be and even more so when they try to nail what doctors make.

That's exactly the kind of data question I have when they calculate this stuff. Are they throwing residents into the mix?

HollowHead
11-07-2012, 22:37
ER docs are actually (again, on average) on the lower end of doctor pay. Yeah, they make a good living and can work "more" hours as needed but an ER doc is more or less a shift working Internal Medicine doctor. They are not surgeons (most people confuse trauma surgeons with ER doctors, NOT the same thing....nor same pay)

True. I've had the honor to work under ER docs as a volunteer EMT who've cut skulls and chopped legs because of expediency. Had they done that as a specialty alone, they'd own Gulfstreams. HH

certifiedfunds
11-07-2012, 22:41

I have a college buddy who's an ER doc in DFW. He works either 2 or 3 days straight (sleeps at the hospital) and is off the rest of the week if I understand correctly. I don't know what he makes but based on his lifestyle and hobby I would expect a few hundred grand minimum (like 4-6)

Cali-Glock
11-07-2012, 22:44
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/top-paying-jobs.html?page=1

I always look at articles like this and wonder where they actually get this income data from. It never makes sense.

Industry surveys. I get them all the time. Some are done by industry groups, some by third party groups, some by direct inquiry, many by looking at other public data: everything about you is available for a buck. There at companies which can sort the data to figure this out.

If I want to send my marketing piece or my salesman to single mothers with a college degree and who buys dog food within a given zip code, I could make calls tomorrow morning and probably have the information by Friday afternoon. All it costs is money!

certifiedfunds
11-07-2012, 22:48
Industry surveys. I get them all the time. Some are done by industry groups, some by third party groups, some by direct inquiry, many by looking at other public data: everything about you is available for a buck. There at companies which can sort the data to figure this out.

If I want to send my marketing piece or my salesman to single mothers with a college degree and who buys dog food within a given zip code, I could make calls tomorrow morning and probably have the information by Friday afternoon. All it costs is money!

Yeah, I get that. I still wonder about the quality of the data sometimes.

CAcop
11-07-2012, 23:15
Fluff piece.

racerford
11-08-2012, 08:50
They are talking about salaries. A lot of doctors don't work on salary. They have private practices. They own the LLC or corporation. They may get a salary because it helps you buy things on credit more easily, but they also get equity distributions. Or they have a trust that owns the LLC. The smart ones do not have simple setups that leave their wealth and income open to attachemnt or seizure to pay settlements or awards that may exceed their insurance.

certifiedfunds
11-08-2012, 09:36
They are talking about salaries. A lot of doctors don't work on salary. They have private practices. They own the LLC or corporation. They may get a salary because it helps you buy things on credit more easily, but they also get equity distributions. Or they have a trust that owns the LLC. The smart ones do not have simple setups that leave their wealth and income open to attachemnt or seizure to pay settlements or awards that may exceed their insurance.

That makes perfect sense.

TheJ
11-08-2012, 09:41
Yah I would say the article is highly suspect.

Funny thing is when you click on the "best new jobs" link (http://money.cnn.com/gallery/pf/2012/11/01/best-new-jobs-in-america/5.html), it's looks like a list of lefty-cool-stuff...
- "Wind turbine" mechanical engineer
- "Solar" sales consultant
- "Sustainability (http://www.atlantalivenews.org/agenda-21/)" consultant
- Social media manager

Seriously? Those are the "best new jobs"
Be glad. If you had taken and passed the exams you'd be stuck doing actuarial work all day.

Then, one day your curiosity would get the best of you and you'd calculate your own death day and your life would never be the same.

:rofl:

certifiedfunds
11-08-2012, 09:48
Yah I would say the article is highly suspect.

Funny thing is when you click on the "best new jobs" link (http://money.cnn.com/gallery/pf/2012/11/01/best-new-jobs-in-america/5.html), it's looks like a list of lefty-cool-stuff...
- Wind turbine mechanical engineer
- Solar sales consultant
- Sustainability consultant
- Social media manager

Seriously? Those are the "best new jobs"

:rofl:

That's where the smart talent will go because that's where Obama will be shoveling money.

I say that tongue in cheek but there is a lot of money being made just following where the government pushes it.

DaleGribble
11-08-2012, 09:52
I think CRNA pay is a little off as well. Seven years ago the CRNA's that trained me were starting at $100/Hr just out of school. At a 40 hour week x 52 weeks a year and you got $208,000.

certifiedfunds
11-08-2012, 09:55
I think CRNA pay is a little off as well. Seven years ago the CRNA's that trained me were starting at $100/Hr just out of school. At a 40 hour week x 52 weeks a year and you got $208,000.

you may have better info but my understanding is that the market is getting soft in some areas but still strong in others.

TheJ
11-08-2012, 10:08
That's where the smart talent will go because that's where Obama will be shoveling money.

I say that tongue in cheek but there is a lot of money being made just following where the government pushes it.

Oh I'm with you. I truly do understand.