Range report: LWD 40 S&W GT hole in a G23 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Range report: LWD 40 S&W GT hole in a G23

Idaho Spud
11-08-2012, 01:11
Received the barrel (LWD – 2340N, (#199957). Tested barrel according to the following parameters:

Bullet – Lee 401-175-TC, actual weight – 183 grains, sized to .401 inch. White Label Lube – 2500 Plus

Primer – CCI-500

Brass – mixed head stamp

Load – 4.8 gr. Unique, light taper crimp.

OAL – 1.131 inch

Ambient temp – Apprx. 50 deg. F., 3:00 PM, 11/7/12

Thirty (30) rounds tested, seven chosen at random all passed “plunk” test. Fired all thirty (30) rounds, no malfunctions of any kind.

Comments:

This is a light plinking round. This bullet has a wide, flat nose which looks as if it might be problematic as far as feed and function is concerned but worked perfectly in the test barrel.

I utilized mixed head stamp brass as I felt this is what most reloaders using progressive presses might do.

An examination of barrel bore revealed minimal leading which was removed when I ran a dry patch through bore. Did not test for accuracy, just function.

It would have been better to have more rounds to shoot, but I ran out of my alloy. These rounds fed and chambered perfectly and no FTRTB's or any other malf.

Made no measurements after firing but brass looked normal.

Loading was done on a Hornady LnL Progressive.

Did not chrono loads, too late.

WiskyT
11-08-2012, 14:56
In what ways, if any, is it superior to the factory barrel? Were you compensated in any way by LWD as a condition of doing this test?

Idaho Spud
11-08-2012, 15:05
1. Don't know if it's superior or not, it simply works as my test indicates. I tried to make it clear for all.

2. That's none of your business.

WiskyT
11-08-2012, 15:41
1. Don't know if it's superior or not, it simply works as my test indicates. I tried to make it clear for all.

I just want to quote this so you don't try to edit it away later.

Steve Koski
11-08-2012, 15:41
Spud - Oh brother. Tell us the truth, if you can.

Colorado4Wheel
11-08-2012, 17:01

Seriously? Seems relevant to me.

Idaho Spud
11-08-2012, 17:23
There's my test. I made it as consise as I could. Take it or leave it. I am now retiring from this thread.

Colorado4Wheel
11-08-2012, 17:30
The potato can't take the heat.

Steve Koski
11-08-2012, 17:43
It almost sounds as if you fulfilled your contractual obligation.

dkf
11-08-2012, 17:47
In what ways, if any, is it superior to the factory barrel? Were you compensated in any way by LWD as a condition of doing this test?

He got to at least keep the barrel.(said in another thread) Don't know if any more compensation was involved. JR said he was going to give his barrels away. Being given something to test and review often results in holding of the tongue on negatives. Watch some Gunblast.com reviews.:whistling:

shotgunred
11-09-2012, 21:54
It seems a little strange was that the person who got a test barrel a newb on here instead of someone who has been posting here for a while and is known to the others here.

Though the only complaint I have of my several non GT-hole LWD barrels is that wolf logo.

Idaho Spud
11-09-2012, 23:13
It seems a little strange was that the person who got a test barrel a newb on here instead of someone who has been posting here for a while and is known to the others here.

Though the only complaint I have of my several non GT-hole LWD barrels is that wolf logo. I did pay for the barrel, at a discount, of course, you didn't expect me to do this for nothing, did you?? I was at the right place at the right time, my friend.

I wasn't going to come back to this thread, but, alas, curiosity got the best of me. I will bid all you wonderful people adieu, this time for good.

Colorado4Wheel
11-10-2012, 01:07
I did pay for the barrel, at a discount, of course, you didn't expect me to do this for nothing, did you?? I was at the right place at the right time, my friend.

I wasn't going to come back to this thread, but, alas, curiosity got the best of me. I will bid all you wonderful people adieu, this time for good.

Nearly any of us word have done it for nothing. Why you need a discount on a barrel to shoot some ammo and post about it. We do that all the time.

shotgunred
11-10-2012, 08:31
I did pay for the barrel, at a discount, of course, you didn't expect me to do this for nothing, did you?? I was at the right place at the right time, my friend.

Jr didn't get his moneys worth. 30 rounds went boom when you pulled the trigger?

Please report back when you have shot at least 500.
How was the accuracy compared to a stock barrel?
How was the accuracy compared to a normal LWD barrel?
How much was the chamber opened up?
How long of a OAL can you chamber?

Bluescot
11-11-2012, 02:41
I sent off two barrels to LWD for the GT hole ream job. A G30 and a G27 stock length barrels. After waiting 104 days for the turnaround and after talking to the nice little lady in Customer Service that tells you that you are an idiot for the way you reload and that LWD barrels will function in FACTORY ammo, the barrels finally arrived.

The G30 barrel would FTF about every other round and the G27 would do much better but still hang one up about every mag full or every other mag. Neither one would work for SD purposes so I bagged both of them and they now are paper weights.

Both the G30 and the G27 have KKM barrels in them and after about 250 rounds each through them there have been no feeding problems at all. I'm using the same reloads now in the KKM barrels as the LWD barrels and those cast lead reloads have functioned in all the other 45ACP pistols I've tried them in numbering around 6-7 different brands. I've only tried the .40S&W reloads in two other Sigs and they function in those Sigs perfectly.

I'll pass on further orders with LWD.