Let's put this election in terms GTers will understand. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Let's put this election in terms GTers will understand.

airmotive
11-08-2012, 06:26
If the Republican Party was a college football team, it would be one of the our nation's service academies, with a long tradition or past glories and national championships. Its players are the finest our great nation has to offer. They would follow the unwritten “rules” of traditional college football: Your smartest player is the quarterback; your biggest player is the fullback; your fastest player is the halfback.
You line them up in the ‘I’ formation and run off-tackle…over and over and over again. You keep your opponents’ defense guessing which side you’re going to run to: Off-tackle left. Off-tackle right. Fake left, go right. Occasionally an end run, but only to the quarterback’s strong side. It’s a glorious 3 yards and a cloud of dust. It has worked for decades and our players have always been the best….the strongest and smartest players with a desire to win.

Republicans….Welcome to the SEC.

railfancwb
11-08-2012, 06:41
One slight problem here...

Three plays, each for three yards and a cloud of dust, means fourth and one and - most times - punt.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

fowl intent
11-08-2012, 06:43
railfancwb, I think that was the OP's point.

Restless28
11-08-2012, 06:47
Great analogy. The Service Academies vs Bama or LSU.

G36's Rule
11-08-2012, 07:18
The Republican Party is likened to trying to get a group of cats, a clowder, to move in the same direction.

Hard to do and didn't happen this time. Evangelicals stayed home. They got snubbed, and they don't like Mormons at all.

Quite simple really. If you don't get your voters to vote, you don't win.

ysr_racer
11-08-2012, 07:21
Let's put this election in terms GTers will understand.

OK, here goes. We're screwed.

Simple enough for you?

RimfireMan
11-08-2012, 07:30
OK, here goes. We're screwed.

Simple enough for you?
How about, you lost. Get over it.

Now, let's all try to work together for the good of AMERICA.

coastal4974
11-08-2012, 07:33
One of the problems is that too many people think of elections with a team mentality. They hate the other guy because he's on the other team.

Longtooths
11-08-2012, 07:37
Still to complicated....try this:

"In a nation full of children, Santa Claus wins every time!"

coastal4974
11-08-2012, 07:59

Now that sums it up perfectly.

Magnus2131
11-08-2012, 08:03
The Republican Party is likened to trying to get a group of cats, a clowder, to move in the same direction.

Hard to do and didn't happen this time. Evangelicals stayed home. They got snubbed, and they don't like Mormons at all.

Quite simple really. If you don't get your voters to vote, you don't win.
This is not mentioned much but I've had people that normally vote Republican tell me they would not vote for a Mormon.

RimfireMan
11-08-2012, 08:03
One of the problems is that too many people think of elections with a team mentality. They hate the other guy because he's on the other team.
Yep, the GOP has devolved into the Party of Hate.

G36's Rule
11-08-2012, 08:05
This is not mentioned much but I've had people that normally vote Republican tell me they would not vote for a Mormon.

It is the elephant in the room that nobody wants to mention.

GRD67
11-08-2012, 08:14

That's like asking Satan and GOD to work together.

RimfireMan
11-08-2012, 08:15
That's like asking Satan and GOD to work together.
No, its really not but thanks for your HATE. :crying:

certifiedfunds
11-08-2012, 08:18

Work together to do what? Steal more from the producers to give it to the leeches? That is the fundamental thing Obama ran on.

certifiedfunds
11-08-2012, 08:19

The DNC has devolved into the Party of Thieves

I hate thieves

RimfireMan
11-08-2012, 08:20
Work together to do what? Steal more from the producers to give it to the leeches? That is the fundamental thing Obama ran on.
And Romney ran on a fairy tail. If everyone works together, perhaps there is some middle ground.

certifiedfunds
11-08-2012, 08:31
And Romney ran on a fairy tail. If everyone works together, perhaps there is some middle ground.

There is no middle ground when on side votes to send armed men to your house to force you to pay them.

PhotoFeller
11-08-2012, 08:37

I think it's a bit more complicated than the 'Santa Theory'.

Someone summed it up well here at GT yesterday, I think it was Rabbi, by saying R is a party of traditional values while D is a party of issues. We (Rs) stick by our old values, all of them, without adjusting to trends in American population mix, popular attitudes, pragmatic issue resolution while they(Ds) embrace changes with an attitude of voter inclusion. Thus, Ds won minorities (black, latino, asian), gays, women young voters.

The R party has to reinvent itself with respect to social issues while sticking to political values that are appealing across the voter spectrum...less government, strong military, fiscal responsibility, states rights, 2A protection, etc.

To me, the reinvention formula sounds like becoming more moderate on social issues, which should be fine with Rs who want to preserve the key components of our Conservative governing philosophy.

We also need to be smarter in terms of how we conduct ourselves in public view. We need more emphasis on positive, concrete explanations of our positions and less name calling, finger pointing, rancorous behavior.

Serious Rs are also going to have to invest more for our party, it's candidates, it's views. I'm talking more about personal involvement, real commitment to the cause. Work smarter. Work harder. Embrace change, but adhere to Conservative governance values.

If we don't change in the coming years, we will be on a path to irrelevance.

coastal4974
11-08-2012, 08:44

The left says that a lot but I see more hate and intolerance coming from the left than anywhere else. It must be their way of deflecting.

RimfireMan
11-08-2012, 09:10
The left says that a lot but I see more hate and intolerance coming from the left than anywhere else. It must be their way of deflecting.
Really? Ever listen to Fox News, Rush, Beck, Savage...? There is lots of hate there.

PhotoFeller
11-08-2012, 09:28
Really? Ever listen to Fox News, Rush, Beck, Savage...? There is lots of hate there.

There is plenty of venom coming from both sides in media, because they make lots of money being partisan 'actors'. They don't care about solving, healing, reaching across, improving America. They're selling radicalism, and their paychecks are huge.

For every Limbaugh there is a Maddow. For every Fox there is an MSNBC. Their ratings are highest when their commentary is most outlandish. They thrive on distortion and deception. If we tune in we're wasting our time. If we buy in, we're being duped by expert liars and spinmeisters. Rs and Ds need to stay away from these clowns and make up our own minds about what's best for America.

frank4570
11-08-2012, 09:36

It is now. You nailed it.

eb07
11-08-2012, 09:38
Eventually the SEC team will be put on probation for cheating and not be eligible for bowl games anymore. It is inevitable.

Let's put it in terms of reality:

A bunch of people voted for someone who is going to give them more free government assistance so they can continue to be lazy, and live lives of status quo. They outnumber the people who work for a living and finance them because some of those taxpaying workers actually feel guilt and voted for the welfare candidate because they think they should work to support other people. Tipping point.

ColdSteelNail
11-08-2012, 09:41
I think it's a bit more complicated than the 'Santa Theory'.

Someone summed it up well here at GT yesterday, I think it was Rabbi, by saying R is a party of traditional values while D is a party of issues. We (Rs) stick by our old values, all of them, without adjusting to trends in American population mix, popular attitudes, pragmatic issue resolution while they(Ds) embrace changes with an attitude of voter inclusion. Thus, Ds won minorities (black, latino, asian), gays, women young voters.

The R party has to reinvent itself with respect to social issues while sticking to political values that are appealing across the voter spectrum...less government, strong military, fiscal responsibility, states rights, 2A protection, etc.

To me, the reinvention formula sounds like becoming more moderate on social issues, which should be fine with Rs who want to preserve the key components of our Conservative governing philosophy.

We also need to be smarter in terms of how we conduct ourselves in public view. We need more emphasis on positive, concrete explanations of our positions and less name calling, finger pointing, rancorous behavior.

Serious Rs are also going to have to invest more for our party, it's candidates, it's views. I'm talking more about personal involvement, real commitment to the cause. Work smarter. Work harder. Embrace change, but adhere to Conservative governance values.

If we don't change in the coming years, we will be on a path to irrelevance.

Could all of those R's in your post stand for Team Rape.

Comments on rape probably hurt the Republicans more than anything in the entire campaign. That was like shooting yourself in the foot, reloading and doing it again.

6forsure
11-08-2012, 09:54
Could all of those R's in your post stand for Team Rape.

Comments on rape probably hurt the Republicans more than anything in the entire campaign. That was like shooting yourself in the foot, reloading and doing it again.

cowards were slow to condemn those comments and then still poured hundreds of thousands of dollars to support the canidates who made them afterwards

PhotoFeller
11-08-2012, 10:23
Abortion, contraception, gay rights, equal pay for women and lots of other social issues should be left to state legislatures, if addressed at all. If voters in Colorado want to legalize gay marriage while Arkansas citizens oppose them, so be it. These moral issues are divisive, and they're important to large segments of the electorate. Plus, they're aways losers for conservatives.

Hipneckonwheels
11-09-2012, 08:31
Judging from the posts, there's still no way to 'put this election in terms GTer's will understand'.

Post-elections used to be a time of reflection and reconciliation wherin the losing party would attempt to address the reasons they lost.

Now everyone just goes to their favorite cable news channel (or talk radio) to start planning how NOT to work together and gripe about how the election was fixed.

It's like we all think we're Congress or something...

FFR Spyder GT
11-09-2012, 09:11
:crying:This is not mentioned much but I've had people that normally vote Republican tell me they would not vote for a Mormon.

I've been saying that for a year.

Spyder

Posted with TapTalk from my ObamaPhone