Post-election lack of sympathy for Sandy victims [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Post-election lack of sympathy for Sandy victims

F14Scott
11-08-2012, 08:47
Is it just me, or is anyone else feeling few charitable impulses for the Northeast after it voted en masse for B. Hussein?

http://www.google.com/elections/ed/us/results

After Katrina, I felt genuine sympathy for the Gulf Coast and NOLA, even for those on the dole and woefully unprepared. I donated to relief efforts. I followed their plight and recovery.

With Sandy, I am just not moved by the chaos. I have this sense that if they are so enamored by cradle to grave statism, then they are welcome to the poor response by the state. I have this "tough love" feeling, like we, as a country, need to let them suffer through the inadequacy of the federal and state responses so they might remember and learn that such dependence is unwise.

With Katrina, I picture a giant Charlie Fox after the storm, but mostly ascribe the problems to omission and chaos. With Sandy, I have this gut feeling that those in control are deliberately playing favorites, that organized crime and labor unions have a heavy hand in controlling the relief and infrastructure efforts, and that the politicians played and are playing the event for personal gain (e.g. the Christie and BHO love-fest).

Maybe it's just my post-election blues, but I currently envision my probably-increasing taxes being offset by a corresponding decrease in charitable giving.

Anyone else feeling this way?

hamster
11-08-2012, 08:49
Not my fault they didn't buy adequate homeowner's insurance.

Also... if you can't afford to buy insurance and stay a couple of nights in a hotel, you can't afford to buy a house.

IceAxe
11-08-2012, 09:00
Several of us had this same conversation last night. I can't say how widespread it is but you're certainly far from alone in this.

Drjones
11-08-2012, 09:01
I didn't have a particularly high level of sympathy for them before. NYC is pretty much a low-level police state with the tens of thousands (millions yet?) of cameras, random stop-and-frisk policy, high-capacity soda ban, etc.

They seem to like nanny state, let that state take care of you now with Sandy....if it can.

I've never had much sympathy anyway when I hear of people scrambling to the store for food & batteries in "preparation" for an imminent storm or other disaster. If you don't have a few extra batteries on hand, you've got bigger problems.

Hell, look at what happened in NYC with those big blackouts a few years ago; people were trapped inside skyscrapers & subways without even a flashlight to light their escape.

Complete idiots.

quantum36
11-08-2012, 09:09
I too feel less sympathy for Sandy victims.

walt cowan
11-08-2012, 09:10
let them eat the liberal rich.

Dennis in MA
11-08-2012, 09:12
Wow. So your level of sympathy for people in need is in direct proportion to their political leanings??? I have saucers deeper than you guys.

hamster
11-08-2012, 09:14
Wow. So your level of sympathy for people in need is in direct proportion to their political leanings??? I have saucers deeper than you guys.

I have no sympathy for people who purchase homes they can't afford to insure in flood/storm prone areas, who then expect the public to bail them out when the inevitable happens.

I feel for their loss and inconvenience. Certainly emergency rescue assistance is in order. However I feel no need to pay for any rebuilding.

TheExplorer
11-08-2012, 09:16

Also... if you can't afford to buy insurance and stay a couple of nights in a hotel, you can't afford to buy a house.

:wow:Some are at 10 days and have no sign of electricity in sight. And now a new storm emerges.

SMOKEin
11-08-2012, 09:17
The hate is strong in this thread. You do realize that political affiliation does not make the person less of a human/brother? Many people in that region need all the help they can get right now. You're either the type of person who gets involved in situations like this, or you're not. Don't use a lost election or someone's political beliefs be a reason to justify them deserving the situation.

mikeflys1
11-08-2012, 09:19
Some folks have some different political viewpoints from you and you're happy to see them lose their homes/starve/freeze/whatever?

Stay classy, bros.

686Owner
11-08-2012, 09:21
You do realize a good portion of these people did not vote for Obama? Some of them probably even post here.

And one of the people not feeling sorry for New Yorkers is from CA? Are you kidding me?

hamster
11-08-2012, 09:21
:wow:Some are at 10 days and have no sign of electricity in sight. And now a new storm emerges.

Sorry, if you can't afford 10 nights at the motel 6, you can't afford to be a homeowner.

Low income and fixed income folks stuck in apartments with noplace to go I do have sympathy for on the other hand.

686Owner
11-08-2012, 09:22
Sorry, if you can't afford 10 nights at the motel 6, you can't afford to be a homeowner.

Low income and fixed income folks stuck in apartments with noplace to go I do have sympathy for on the other hand.

what about 12 days? 14 days? 27? When will you allow them to buy a house?

series1811
11-08-2012, 09:23
You do realize a good portion of these people did not vote for Obama? Some of them probably even post here.

And one of the people not feeling sorry for New Yorkers is from CA? Are you kidding me?

That's true. I have friends in New Jersey who hate Obama and his policies worse than we do down south. Unfortunately, they have large numbers of the demographics that do love Obama and his policies. Not many of them live near the shore.

RichJ
11-08-2012, 09:26
When Katrina hit, people in my area quickly organized to get food, clothes and other things down there as soon as possible. Churches led the way and people took off work for a week at a time to go down there and volunteer their efforts to remove debris, serve food, or whatever else it took.

I'm only one state over from Louisiana, so it might be a regional thing, but there is none of that here now. I haven't seen a single relief drive for Sandy victims or the clean up effort. Maybe their surounding states are doing that for them but I haven't seen any articles about mass civilian efforts to help them.

hamster
11-08-2012, 09:26
what about 12 days? 14 days? 27? When will you allow them to buy a house?

Lets say a motel 6 20 miles inland costs $100/night after taxes.

30 nights is $3000.

If you are so leveraged that you don't have the savings to cover this, then frankly you bought more house than you can afford. Why should poor people who live in modest apartments elsewhere have to cough up the cash to cover the poor lifestyle choices of those folks?

I don't think being able to support oneself for 30 days is too much to ask of a person. After that, I'd be ok with government assistance.

What is my limit you ask? 30 days.

F14Scott
11-08-2012, 09:27

It's an "Ant and the Grasshopper" reaction. I feel like heavy dependence on the state is akin to dancing all summer. They are not prepared for a natural disaster. They are not properly insured. They did not store adequate supplies. They did not evacuate. They expect the state to bail them out.

I live in Houston. I know I could be hit with a hurricane. I have lots of insurance, including flood insurance. I have a generator, gas, water, and food stored. If a big enough storm is headed this way, we'll pack up the cars and get out of here.

I can't understand people who live on a coast and don't think this way, and I lump people who vote for the statist into this category.

Drjones
11-08-2012, 09:27
Some folks have some different political viewpoints from you and you're happy to see them lose their homes/starve/freeze/whatever?

Stay classy, bros.

I'm not at all happy, and I certainly see nothing in the OP indicating he is either; we're more indifferent.

Big difference.

fnfalman
11-08-2012, 09:28
I have no sympathy for anybody but good looking chicks.

mikeflys1
11-08-2012, 09:31
When Katrina hit, people in my area quickly organized to get food, clothes and other things down there as soon as possible. Churches led the way and people took off work for a week at a time to go down there and volunteer their efforts to remove debris, serve food, or whatever else it took.

I'm only one state over from Louisiana, so it might be a regional thing, but there is none of that here now. I haven't seen a single relief drive for Sandy victims or the clean up effort. Maybe their surounding states are doing that for them but I haven't seen any articles about mass civilian efforts to help them.

When Katrina hit, I was part of an Army Guard unit that was sent to help secure/clean up around NO and I remember them practically having to beat away volunteers with a stick. There were also food/supply drives everywhere....and this was from us liberal ass CT'ers.

I guess it would have been easier to just ***** and make fun of the destruction online though.

Chuck TX
11-08-2012, 09:37
People are less inclined to be charitable when they are already being forced disproportionately to be charitable.

TheExplorer
11-08-2012, 09:43
People are less inclined to be charitable when they are already being forced disproportionately to be charitable.

I'm curious as to what those people would give without the "forced disproportionately to be charitable" factor.

Dennis in MA
11-08-2012, 09:52
People are digging themselves a bigger hole in this thread.

"Oh, we should rush down and support Katrina victims - even the unprepared - because life was TOTALLY different 8 years ago." :rofl:

And conservatives wonder why they can't keep their base cohesive. Maybe people think you just don't care. LOL

IndyGunFreak
11-08-2012, 09:53
I'd say either they truly lack sympathy (which I hope is not the case) or we keep hearing about this "fiscal cliff" and we know how inept our government is, so most people, rather than being willing to give, are saving and preparing.

RichJ
11-08-2012, 09:59
I'd say either they truly lack sympathy (which I hope is not the case) or we keep hearing about this "fiscal cliff" and we know how inept our government is, so most people, rather than being willing to give, are saving and preparing.
Yeah, this. People had money to give eight years ago. Now they are either already broke or are sweating what's about to happen, so they are more inclined to hang on to what they have left.

Dennis in MA
11-08-2012, 10:01
Yeah, this. People had money to give eight years ago. Now they are either already broke or are sweating what's about to happen, so they are more inclined to hang on to what they have left.

But that changed from Monday to Thursday?? Nah. Unless everyone who's b-wording on this thread makes more than $250K. :rofl:

Dennis in MA
11-08-2012, 10:02
Is it just me, or is anyone else feeling few charitable impulses for the Northeast after it voted en masse for B. Hussein?

After Katrina, I felt genuine sympathy for the Gulf Coast and NOLA, even for those on the dole and woefully unprepared. I donated to relief efforts. I followed their plight and recovery.

With Sandy, I am just not moved by the chaos. I have this sense that if they are so enamored by cradle to grave statism, then they are welcome to the poor response by the state. I have this "tough love" feeling, like we, as a country, need to let them suffer through the inadequacy of the federal and state responses so they might remember and learn that such dependence is unwise.

With Katrina, I picture a giant Charlie Fox after the storm, but mostly ascribe the problems to omission and chaos. With Sandy, I have this gut feeling that those in control are deliberately playing favorites, that organized crime and labor unions have a heavy hand in controlling the relief and infrastructure efforts, and that the politicians played and are playing the event for personal gain (e.g. the Christie and BHO love-fest).

Maybe it's just my post-election blues, but I currently envision my probably-increasing taxes being offset by a corresponding decrease in charitable giving.

I just want this quoted so in 3 days, when people realize some of the stupid stuff they said in this thread, they can be reminded instead of changing their words.

F14Scott
11-08-2012, 10:07
I just want this quoted so in 3 days, when people realize some of the stupid stuff they said in this thread, they can be reminded instead of changing their words.

Why don't you just say what you mean, then, Dennis?

"I just want to quote Scott, who said some stupid stuff in this thread, and whom I believe lacks the integrity to let his original post stand."

No sense masking your feelings in a passively-worded post.

RichJ
11-08-2012, 10:08
But that changed from Monday to Thursday?? Nah. Unless everyone who's b-wording on this thread makes more than $250K. :rofl:
Were there mass efforts on Monday to send those people aid that I didn't see?

Landmonster
11-08-2012, 10:32
I no longer have any empathy or sympathy for anyone who supported Obama.

They can all starve or freeze to death for all I care.

686Owner
11-08-2012, 10:38
Lets say a motel 6 20 miles inland costs $100/night after taxes.

30 nights is $3000.

If you are so leveraged that you don't have the savings to cover this, then frankly you bought more house than you can afford. Why should poor people who live in modest apartments elsewhere have to cough up the cash to cover the poor lifestyle choices of those folks?

I don't think being able to support oneself for 30 days is too much to ask of a person. After that, I'd be ok with government assistance.

What is my limit you ask? 30 days.

What if their transmission went out 1 week before Sandy hit and they paid $2000 for it. Should they have sold their house?

hamster
11-08-2012, 11:05
What if their transmission went out 1 week before Sandy hit and they paid $2000 for it. Should they have sold their house?

I should pay because someone doesn't have the financial planning ability to foresee routine car repairs?

686Owner
11-08-2012, 11:12
I should pay because someone doesn't have the financial planning ability to foresee routine car repairs?

Transmission going out is routine?

And is that what you would tell your mother who just lost her house?

To say F U to an entire state because some of them voted for Obama is worse than voting for Obama. It's even more illogical.

And I wouldn't be so sure that you are not a net loss in taxes yourself.

ray9898
11-08-2012, 11:34
Wow....and we wonder why our country is crumbling. Now you can't even depend on the 'good' people to do the right thing. If people quit spending so much time lumping people into little groups they can hate we would get a lot more accomplished.

Carrys
11-08-2012, 12:27
Charity has now changed, forever. Just as our Country has changed.

Most of the Country, those milk drinkers, want things that way. They want the govt to do everything and I mean everything for them. In fact they demand it do for them.......and demand that we...the milk cows pay for it.
I'm through with charity unless it's with people I know, or at least people I think deserve it.

Sorry, I don't think they deserve it. Think of me what you wish, I don't care any longer. I'm tired of being bled dry of my milk just to see it go to people I wouldn't share my milk with even in good times.

They wanted big govt, they wanted govt to care for them from the cradle to the grave. They got it. Leave me alone.

FEMA offices in the damaged areas are closed due to weather. Only govt could make one laugh that much.

But Hey!

That's what they wanted. Now live with it....... just as you tell me to:wavey:

oldgraywolf
11-08-2012, 13:04
Wow....and we wonder why our country is crumbling. Now you can't even depend on the 'good' people to do the right thing. If people quit spending so much time lumping people into little groups they can hate we would get a lot more accomplished.

Amen. Some of the posts in this thread are incredibly stupid.

hamster
11-08-2012, 13:46
Transmission going out is routine?

And is that what you would tell your mother who just lost her house?

To say F U to an entire state because some of them voted for Obama is worse than voting for Obama. It's even more illogical.

And I wouldn't be so sure that you are not a net loss in taxes yourself.

The OP and some others were talking about politics. My opinion has nothing to do with who anyone voted for. I say the same thing to everyone. If you choose to live in the foothills of California fire country, on the side of an active volcano in hawaii, below sea level, or in earthquake central... be damned sure you can afford the insurance that goes with that purchase.

I'm of the opinion we should provide emergency services and certainly some degree of help. However I also believe that people should have some degree of forethought and preparation. If someone can "afford" to purchase a home, they should be capable of insuring that home, and have some basic supplies on hand. Especially in coastal areas where storms that take out power for several days aren't unheard of.

So to clarify, I'm not implying people should be left to die or anything. I'm just saying It boggles the mind to see people whining for the government to provide funds to re-build their homes.

Carrys
11-08-2012, 14:41
Amen. Some of the posts in this thread are incredibly stupid.

Sure are.:wavey:

NeverMore1701
11-08-2012, 15:07
I wasn't particularly sympathetic before.

Steve0853
11-08-2012, 15:10
Never mind the political leanings of the affected states.

What I find interesting is that in the week before the election when news of Sandy was pushing the Benghazi scandal off the front page, the media couldn't get enough of Sandy coverage.

There were interviews with school kids, police, mayors, ditch diggers.....everyone. There were hours of coverage every day.

Now that Obama is safely re-elected, the Sandy story is not worthy of any air time.

686Owner
11-08-2012, 15:16
The OP and some others were talking about politics. My opinion has nothing to do with who anyone voted for. I say the same thing to everyone. If you choose to live in the foothills of California fire country, on the side of an active volcano in hawaii, below sea level, or in earthquake central... be damned sure you can afford the insurance that goes with that purchase.

I'm of the opinion we should provide emergency services and certainly some degree of help. However I also believe that people should have some degree of forethought and preparation. If someone can "afford" to purchase a home, they should be capable of insuring that home, and have some basic supplies on hand. Especially in coastal areas where storms that take out power for several days aren't unheard of.

So to clarify, I'm not implying people should be left to die or anything. I'm just saying It boggles the mind to see people whining for the government to provide funds to re-build their homes.

My mistake. I made the assumption that since you posted it in a thread titled "post-election lack of sympathy for Sandy victims" that it was due to the election.

hamster
11-08-2012, 15:21
My mistake. I made the assumption that since you posted it in a thread titled "post-election lack of sympathy for Sandy victims" that it was due to the election.

Yeah, I should have been more explicit. To feel less sympathy for a victim due to their political affiliation is just plain stupid and un-American IMO.

My reaction was mostly to wankers (regardless of political affiliation) living on islands asking for funds to rebuild their homes.

blk69stang
11-08-2012, 15:30
I don't feel terribly charitable for them.

When the giant Tsunami hit the western pacific, I donated to help out.

When Katrina hit, I dontated to help out AND I volunteered through work (LE) to be part of the emergency response (even though my station didn't end up getting activated).

Hurricane Sandy hit the Liberal northeast... I feel bad for them, and I am saddened by the loss of life, but I am not terribly motivated to help out those who are simply "uncomfortable". The way I look at it, they are stuck in this mindset that they want bigger and bigger government to take care of everything for them so they don't have to take responsibility for themselves. They voted in such a government in their states (and now have helped force it on the rest of the country), and with their warm-fuzzy big government in place, they stopped being responsible for their own well-being. I think they need to be uncomfortable for a couple more weeks wondering where their next meal is coming from, and then maybe they'll begin to realize that more government is not the answer, and that more self-reliance is.

That, and if you watch nearly every news reporter who goes inside a low income housing "project", you will see without fail that there is ALWAYS a 47+ inch flat-screen TV in there, but not one single survival prep. Since the hurricane hit, the inside of every house or apt hit by Sandy that I've seen has had a bigger TV than mine in it (and I have a GOOD paying job and I can afford it). You couldn't afford to buy survival gear ahead of time, but you have a $1500 TV on the wall? And now you want ME to pay so you can be comfortable? Karma is a female dog.

The liberal northeasterners are currently recieving exactly what they voted for. I say let them wallow in the consequences of their sucky decisions. Experiente adocat.

countrygun
11-08-2012, 15:36
The Ny'rs have supported a Mayor who has sent "agents" to other States to try and create illegal gun buys to push for national gun control laws (as if NYC was the center of the universe), they have stood by while he tells them how much salt they can consume and how big a fountain drink they can buy. So now they can just wait for him to fix their problems AFAIC. I feel no "kinship" to them.

Carrys
11-08-2012, 15:50
Here's my take...................just my own personal opinion mind you.

Those who want and expect the Federal Govt to bail them out of everything bad that happens in their lives......must, absolutely must become beholding to the govt.

And they are. The govt doesn't care about them, the media doesn't care about them.........so now they're lost. They can't nor have they ever been able to grasp the concept that they are only political pawns, nothing more.

Simple as that.

Katrina = Bad your guy ws in charge.

Sandy = Good our guy was in charge.

Screw the people, they are no longer of any use to us. Not until the next election.

SC Tiger
11-08-2012, 16:31
I haven't felt as bad for them as I did for the Katrina victims. I can't explain why but I just haven't. Maybe it's because the death toll isn't as bad as Katrina. Maybe it's because of all of the tragedies that have happened over the past few years I'm just out of sympathy for people I don't know.

Wolfgang
11-08-2012, 16:33
new yorkers are tuff, they will be ok..

Christie for Pres....as a Dem

Eurodriver
11-08-2012, 16:34

Agreed.

My good friend, the staunchest conservative you'll ever meet, lives on Long Island.

He has homeowners insurance, and will not be taking out taxpayer funds to repair his home. In fact, he just paid $600 cash to get his basement pumped out.

Should he "suck it up"?

Patchman
11-08-2012, 17:07
Some posts, I wonder if those posters aren't really talking about Hurricane victims' skin colour. :dunno:

javelinadave
11-08-2012, 17:23
I think the election has soured people on man kind itself. Friends that grew up in Western Europe in the 70's and early 80's told me that as the cloud of socialism covered their countries people became less friendly, more reclusive and generally started not to care about their fellow man. It looks like it's happening here too.
As I start to pay for all the "have not's" Obama phones, medical care, food stamps, subsidized housing, etc, I care less about others peoples problems. Pre 11-6 I gave a lot of money to different charities. Now, I am going to work less to make less because I'm not going to pay for more people to sit at home and produce more baby Democrats. This election was a "kick in the crotch" to everybody who has worked their butts off to make their life a success. Let Obama print more money, whats another trillion dollars at this point.

blk69stang
11-08-2012, 17:38
I think the election has soured people on man kind itself. Friends that grew up in Western Europe in the 70's and early 80's told me that as the cloud of socialism covered their countries people became less friendly, more reclusive and generally started not to care about their fellow man. It looks like it's happening here too.
As I start to pay for all the "have not's" Obama phones, medical care, food stamps, subsidized housing, etc, I care less about others peoples problems. Pre 11-6 I gave a lot of money to different charities. Now, I am going to work less to make less because I'm not going to pay for more people to sit at home and produce more baby Democrats. This election was a "kick in the crotch" to everybody who has worked their butts off to make their life a success. Let Obama print more money, whats another trillion dollars at this point.

Exactly. This election made me feel like it is now going to be OK to be apathetic. Heck, my wife quit her job to stay home and take care of our newborn, and after the election I went online to see if there was any kind of welfare she could sign up for. I would never have even considered a handout before (even if I actually needed it), but now my midnset has changed to "well, Obama's going to crash the economy anyway, I might as well take it easy and get a free ride while we're on the way down."

stevelyn
11-08-2012, 18:02
They can all freeze in the dark. I have no sympathy for them.

stevelyn
11-08-2012, 18:07

Sucks to be them, but thse are the same people who laugh and look down their noses at those of us who have prepared to sit out a situation for several weeks.

xromad
11-08-2012, 18:46
The coasts aren't very interested in "flyover country". Maybe the feeling is mutual.

They are experiencing the government and the politicians they voted for. Actions have consequences.

I don't wish them any ill, just meh.

jdavionic
11-08-2012, 18:50
They peg my DGAS meter. They continue to vote for the likes of Christie, Bloomberg, and Obama. They turn away help from non-union workers. And then they sit there and cry "where's Obama?" "where's FEMA?" Screw 'em. Get your help from lard ass Christie, Bloomberg, and Obama.

wavetrain75
11-08-2012, 19:12
The last disaster I donated any money to was Katrina, in return I was called a racist and paid for part of a sex change operation. I just don't feel all that charitable anymore.

Lone Wolf8634
11-08-2012, 19:26
Some posts, I wonder if those posters aren't really talking about Hurricane victims' skin colour. :dunno:

Actually, since you're so quick to accuse others of bigotry I wonder if you might be feeling a bit of guilt over what goes on in your own head.

I question the motives of folks who seem to need to see racism in anything they don't agree with.

50 Cent
11-08-2012, 19:42

I hear ya - I really think the southern states should recall any and all staff in the NE. Those vermin voted to destroy us. I say let'em starve and freeze in the dark.

droidfire
11-08-2012, 19:43

There are no hotels available here. Try again.

Insurance checks didn't start rolling out until today, so people had to survive on whatever they had left that wasn't destroyed even if they had insurance.

I'm only fortunate enough to have a dive because i've been here helping clean up since right after.

As to the OP -

Nevermind, would cost me an infraction again.