California, and the nation, is doubly screwed [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : California, and the nation, is doubly screwed

Drjones
11-08-2012, 09:36
Don't recall seeing any discussion here about how the dems in CA seem to have secured a 2/3 supermajority in both state houses, meaning they are utterly free to do whatever the heck they want.

It's long been an unfortunate fact that the worst ideas here in CA act as templates for the rest of the nation so...pray for the big one to hit the San Andreas, I guess....

11-08-2012, 10:04
Super majorities in both houses!? Dude. Get out while you can.

RichJ
11-08-2012, 10:13
How has this gone unreported?

This is HUGE. :wow:

Batesmotel
11-08-2012, 10:17
I predict a mass exodus from California.

It may be for reasons other than people think.

Lets just say a little birdie told me so.

HAVE YOUR PREPS IN ORDER!

I trust me little bird.

fastbolt
11-08-2012, 10:56
California contains more than 12% of the nation's population. (Second largest by land mass, but first in population.)

That's significant.

One state maintained record I found a couple years ago (and then lost the link) showed consistent population growth since that record was started in 1940. Granted, the population demographics might have fluctuated over that time, but the basic numbers grew each year (ranging from .5 - 2%).

BTW, this achieving a super majority hasn't gone unreported, as there's been a few articles which mention it here (although there's probably little reason for it to be noted and discussed outside the state).

JBnTX
11-08-2012, 11:00
I predict a mass exodus from California...

We need to build a wall around Texas before the California refugees get here.

CombatCamera
11-08-2012, 11:19
Just let me in first JBnTX!!

Flying-Dutchman
11-08-2012, 11:27
As goes California, so goes the Nation.

Notice proposition 30 was passed that increased taxes on those making over $250K but not the proposition that increased taxes for everyone.

Tax increase for thee but not for me.

fastbolt
11-08-2012, 11:46

Notice proposition 30 was passed that increased taxes on those making over $250K but not the proposition that increased taxes for everyone.

The income tax increase for the "wealthy" isn't the only tax increase in that proposition. The quarter cent sales tax increase affects everyone who buys things.

I've always wondered why the $250K earnings floor became the threshold figure for being "wealthy". Why not $500K, or $1M? How many potential earners are contained within those different brackets?

I never reached the $200K annual income point (not ever wishing to work that much OT), but I've known a lot of folks who earned $200-$250K annually, and they certainly aren't "wealthy". Not with the cost of living in many places in CA, especially in the greater SF Bay Area.

Restless28
11-08-2012, 11:53

Yep. It's coming.

frank4570
11-08-2012, 12:02
I get how this goes. The voting majority wants the govt to take care of them. So as things get worse, they vote in more and more people who promise to give them free stuff.

"You poor sad children deserve better. That rich guy doesn't need all that money he has. He doesn't care about your suffering. Vote for me and I will find a way to take money away from that rich guy and give you free stuff so you don't have to worry about."

And then things get worse again and they scream "Please take care of us! Tell us it will be ok and we don't have to worry about anything!"

Glock20 10mm
11-08-2012, 12:15
We're screwed... unless we can find a solid leadership and repeat 1776 on a national scale.

Carrys
11-08-2012, 13:32
Don't recall seeing any discussion here about how the dems in CA seem to have secured a 2/3 supermajority in both state houses, meaning they are utterly free to do whatever the heck they want.

It's long been an unfortunate fact that the worst ideas here in CA act as templates for the rest of the nation so...pray for the big one to hit the San Andreas, I guess....

They hope to get the Fedral Govt to bail them out............and they will. Even more of our milk will go to the free milk drinkers there.

I wonder how long our milk cows will put out, eh?

I get how this goes. The voting majority wants the govt to take care of them. So as things get worse, they vote in more and more people who promise to give them free stuff.

"You poor sad children deserve better. That rich guy doesn't need all that money he has. He doesn't care about your suffering. Vote for me and I will find a way to take money away from that rich guy and give you free stuff so you don't have to worry about."

And then things get worse again and they scream "Please take care of us! Tell us it will be ok and we don't have to worry about anything!"

That's why I'm not giving to the Sandy Storm victims this time around. They wanted big govt........they got it.

FEMA offices closed due to the weather, only the govt can make me laugh this much.

We're screwed... unless we can find a solid leadership and repeat 1776 on a national scale.

I believe we will.

Don't know when and don't think it will be while I'm still alive.

But it will. The pendulum always swings both ways. When our society finally sees what it's doing to it's self.....it will eliminate the drinkers like the infection they are.

Mr981
11-08-2012, 19:55
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/11/08/usa-campaign-california-idUSL1E8M7NDL20121108

The WSJ has a large article on this.

As one that has seen what happens when one party has a stranglehold on a large county in our state--Cuyahoga--those of you in CA have my sympathy.

You can look forward to more taxes--big time--and a completely cooked political system where the state judiciary will protect or look the other way from the hi-jinx that the Dems will be able to pull for years.

Once one party has it's hands on all the levers of power, democracy stops.

It is my sincere hope that where CA is going, they end up there by their own hand, with the Feds not intervening financially to bail them out.

Instead of the Prius being the hot new vehicle in the state, it will be the moving van.

CAcop
11-08-2012, 20:45
The punchline is that Gov. Moonbeam is considered a moderate now.

cgwahl
11-08-2012, 21:46
So any bets on how long till Prop 13 goes bye bye?

Also guessing the train to nowhere will be getting more funding.

Cali-Glock
11-08-2012, 22:11
The Democratic super majority in both houses of the California legislature spells out our doom.

The democrats will be able to raise taxes without impunity, pass Veto-proof leftist crap that even Moonbeam would have otherwise vetoed.

The holy grail however is Prop 13 which since 1978 has protected homeowners from being taxed out of their homes - the Democrats now have tha ability to do a run-around Prop 13, forcing retirees and other long term-homeowners out of the state.

Despite the insanely high taxes California will hit her citizens with California will go bankrupt in a big and ugly way; making all prior financial crisis in out nation pale in comparison.

Strap in and grab the hand rail kids: we are in for one heck of a ride!

CAcop
11-08-2012, 22:53
If the Dems dump prop 13 that may be the one thing that will cause people to stop voting for them. Housing prices will plummet the minute prop 13 is repealed. I personally think it is why prices got so high here to begin with. If you know your takes can only go up 2% per year why not go for a more expensive house? If your taxes are at the whim of your local polticians why would you buy a more expensive house?

cowboywannabe
11-08-2012, 23:34
California will be the western greece situation, requiring the rest of the "union" to bail them via federal taxes being sent to them disporportionally.

9jeeps
11-09-2012, 00:29
You guys need to sell more fruits and nuts.

TK-421
11-09-2012, 00:41
You guys need to sell more fruits and nuts.

Forget the fruits, they have more nuts rattling around in their heads than all of the pecan farms combined. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

They could become richer than Oprah if they sold them all. :tongueout:

frizz
11-09-2012, 04:06
I wonder how long our milk cows will put out, eh?

The last time I saw livestock mentioned in the same sentence a the words "put out", somebody posted the Mr. Hands video!

hdman30
11-09-2012, 05:07
Alaska is first by land mass. Texas is number 2 and California is number 3. But, California is NUMBER ONE in being a charlie foxtrot! Bye, bye CA. I really enjoyed San Diego. :wavey:

California contains more than 12% of the nation's population. (Second largest by land mass, but first in population.)

That's significant.

One state maintained record I found a couple years ago (and then lost the link) showed consistent population growth since that record was started in 1940. Granted, the population demographics might have fluctuated over that time, but the basic numbers grew each year (ranging from .5 - 2%).

BTW, this achieving a super majority hasn't gone unreported, as there's been a few articles which mention it here (although there's probably little reason for it to be noted and discussed outside the state).

Cali-Glock
11-09-2012, 05:29
The punchline is that Gov. Moonbeam is considered a moderate now.

Scary and true.

samurairabbi
11-09-2012, 06:29
Submitted for your consideration:

Here in Indiana after the election, the REPUBLICANS now hold a supermajority.

For a reasonable bribe ... Whoops! ... I mean, consulting fee ... I can provide an Indiana Entrance Permit. (I accept all major credit cards.)

Fear Night
11-09-2012, 06:31
Don't worry, the rest of the country will just bail them out when their policies disintegrate the state. "Too big to fail"

Hipneckonwheels
11-09-2012, 07:35
To be expected from someone who chooses 'fear' as their first name. I'm glad to see the Sacramento gridlock broken for the first time in years. Now we can judge our state leaders on what they actually do rather than what they argue about doing.

Either way, California (where my rural northern county recognizes my right to carry 4 concealed handguns with no hoops besides taking a CCW class and a virtual 'shall issue' visit to the sheriff) will survive.

It's just an election. And despite the straws being grasped at to explain the results, it wasn't a bunch of poor people with their hands out. It was American citizens exercising their right to vote. If you don't like the results, work harder to elect Republicans. No need to move to Indiana or try to brave the walls of Texas.

Unless running away to avoid hard work is your thing.

Mr981
11-09-2012, 08:42
To be expected from someone who chooses 'fear' as their first name. I'm glad to see the Sacramento gridlock broken for the first time in years. Now we can judge our state leaders on what they actually do rather than what they argue about doing.

Either way, California (where my rural northern county recognizes my right to carry 4 concealed handguns with no hoops besides taking a CCW class and a virtual 'shall issue' visit to the sheriff) will survive.

It's just an election. And despite the straws being grasped at to explain the results, it wasn't a bunch of poor people with their hands out. It was American citizens exercising their right to vote. If you don't like the results, work harder to elect Republicans. No need to move to Indiana or try to brave the walls of Texas.

Unless running away to avoid hard work is your thing.

Glad to hear you're in a county that smiles on CCW, but would have to be concerned with a majority of that size that they can write just about any law they want that might change your ability to carry when you want.

Also, regarding "judging leaders on what they do", I would suggest as long as they are buying votes via entitlements, they aren't going to be judged by anybody until the checks stop going out. By that time it will be way too late.

In the example I cited above, one of the 20+ county administrators/officials and judges indicted actually ran for re-election after she was brought up on charges by the Feds--and nearly won; apparently her constituents thought she was doing a great job. She ended up doing 9 months in prison.
Had it not been for the FBI doing their investigation of the whole country structure, voters would have continued to return the crooks to office--some of these people had been in office for over 20+ years--because they created their built in support system of patronage and kickbacks. They had connections, protection and money. These guys were beyond the " reach" of the voters because there was nothing obviously wrong in the public's eye because they had no clue of what was going on below the surface.

With a super-majority in the CA state legislature, the only info voters will know about the state of their governance will be what the guys in Sacramento want them to know-unless the feds get involved. What's the likelihood of that in CA?

heliguy
11-09-2012, 09:28
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/11/08/usa-campaign-california-idUSL1E8M7NDL20121108

The WSJ has a large article on this.

As one that has seen what happens when one party has a stranglehold on a large county in our state--Cuyahoga--those of you in CA have my sympathy.

You can look forward to more taxes--big time--and a completely cooked political system where the state judiciary will protect or look the other way from the hi-jinx that the Dems will be able to pull for years.

Once one party has it's hands on all the levers of power, democracy stops.

It is my sincere hope that where CA is going, they end up there by their own hand, with the Feds not intervening financially to bail them out.

Instead of the Prius being the hot new vehicle in the state, it will be the moving van.

One asks: "how could this possibly happen? The inmates in control of the asylum???

Rush L on Santa Claus if you didn't hear the whole thing.....

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2012/11/08/media_uproar_over_me_and_santa_claus

Hipneckonwheels
11-09-2012, 10:12
Glad to hear you're in a county that smiles on CCW, but would have to be concerned with a majority of that size that they can write just about any law they want that might change your ability to carry when you want.

Also, regarding "judging leaders on what they do", I would suggest as long as they are buying votes via entitlements, they aren't going to be judged by anybody until the checks stop going out. By that time it will be way too late.

In the example I cited above, one of the 20+ county administrators/officials and judges indicted actually ran for re-election after she was brought up on charges by the Feds--and nearly won; apparently her constituents thought she was doing a great job. She ended up doing 9 months in prison.
Had it not been for the FBI doing their investigation of the whole country structure, voters would have continued to return the crooks to office--some of these people had been in office for over 20+ years--because they created their built in support system of patronage and kickbacks. They had connections, protection and money. These guys were beyond the " reach" of the voters because there was nothing obviously wrong in the public's eye because they had no clue of what was going on below the surface.

With a super-majority in the CA state legislature, the only info voters will know about the state of their governance will be what the guys in Sacramento want them to know-unless the feds get involved. What's the likelihood of that in CA?

Thanks for your thoughtful reply. Your points about entrenched political power in California are well founded and something I fear from both parties.

In Congress our 13-term (1987-2012) Republican rubber stamp Wally Herger was replaced by his hand-picked successor, who benefited from recently re-drawn electoral districts and a 9-1 spending advantage.

And in the Senate, Dianne Feinstein.
The problem of entrenched corruption is bi-=partisan.

And my vote was not 'bought via' any entitlement.

Mr981
11-09-2012, 10:46
Thanks for your thoughtful reply. Your points about entrenched political power in California are well founded and something I fear from both parties.

In Congress our 13-term (1987-2012) Republican rubber stamp Wally Herger was replaced by his hand-picked successor, who benefited from recently re-drawn electoral districts and a 9-1 spending advantage.

And in the Senate, Dianne Feinstein.
The problem of entrenched corruption is bi-=partisan.

And my vote was not 'bought via' any entitlement.

You are quite welcome.

When the "rot" sets in politically, it doesn't distinguish between Dems or Repubs.
When the Repubs had control of the house 10 years ago Denny Hasert was the speaker.
Here's Wiki on him-- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dennis_Hastert

While acting as the speaker, his kid was a "lobbyist" working for Podesta's outfit. The kid had no experience but had his old man's ear. What a nice little scam.. for them.

Again, I have no doubt that when politicians of both parties get entrenched for years, bad things happen. At the county/state level. though, it becomes to look like organized crime, since there is very little that can challenge them.
In the Cuyahoga county situation, the only local newspaper was leading from behind on the issue and the County DA (also a Dem) knew nothing, although he was in office for much of the duration of the corruption. He eventually resigned to take a job with a private law firm; how nice for him. With the local newspaper and DA missing in action, there was nobody except the feds interested in corralling these guys.