Catheters [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Catheters

certifiedfunds
11-08-2012, 09:50
Advertisements for urethral catheters are all over TV. Ok, I get it......Medicare just changed the way they pay for this so there is money to be made selling them (see Hoveraround Scooters). However, what I don't get is who are all these millions of people who need to "cath" several times daily and WHY do they need to do it?

Is there some common medical disorder that I'm unaware of?

Dennis in MA
11-08-2012, 09:54
And please please PLEASE, do not boil my pasta in the same pot you used to sterilize your old reusable caths. :rofl:

certifiedfunds
11-08-2012, 10:01
And please please PLEASE, do not boil my pasta in the same pot you used to sterilize your old reusable caths. :rofl:

That's kinda the point. Medicare now buys a bunch of them so your pasta can be unmolested.

geofri
11-08-2012, 10:02
I wondered why all of the sudden they are all the rage!

Dennis in MA
11-08-2012, 10:03
I wondered why all of the sudden they are all the rage!

You don't have to leave your desk for a bathroom break.

series1811
11-08-2012, 10:03
Yes, I thought that, too, when I saw the ad and asked the same thing. My girlfriend, sitting next to me said, "My mother had to insert a catheter every single time she needed to urinate due to a disease she had, for years before she died."

Oops! :wow:

aircarver
11-08-2012, 10:05
You don't have to leave your desk for a bathroom break.
Why would anybody work at a desk in the new utopia ? ... :shocked:

.264 magnum
11-08-2012, 10:06
We need government cheese, Spam, beer and catheters.

Years ago a friend had surgery and a catheter plus bag was needed post op. Days into his recovery he thought it was great to sit down with an ice chest full of beer and watch an entire football game without having to visit the restroom.

Viper16
11-08-2012, 10:08
My wife has to use one because of a birth defect. She has to use it every time.

HollowHead
11-08-2012, 10:09
These things are great for long distance motorcycle trips! Run the tube down a pant leg and let'r fly... HH

certifiedfunds
11-08-2012, 10:11
My wife has to use one because of a birth defect. She has to use it every time.

See, I get that there are some people who need to do this. I suppose my question has to do with how common it is and why, to justify the millions of dollars being spent on television ads.

Atlas
11-08-2012, 10:12
We need government cheese, Spam, beer and catheters.

... and mobile phones!.

certifiedfunds
11-08-2012, 10:13
These things are great for long distance motorcycle trips! Run the tube down a pant leg and let'r fly... HH

Don't need a catheter. Competitive bicycle racers, runners and triathletes just let fly anyway.

.264 magnum
11-08-2012, 10:14
... and mobile phones!.

Absolutely.

Magnus2131
11-08-2012, 10:16
I don't believe any guy would insert one if he did not really need one. Ouch!

Bruce M
11-08-2012, 11:01
I would like to nominate this thread for thread of the week. I think it has epic potential.

PBCounty
11-08-2012, 11:03
I don't believe any guy would insert one if he did not really need one. Ouch!

You may be surprised. A buddy of mine earned himself some surgery after he got hammered at a party and inserted a pine needle.

ktx
11-08-2012, 11:18
Urinary dysfunction is pretty common in the population, they're just not prone to advertising their problem. Women are frequently subject to such problems after childbirth weakens pelvic floor muscles. Any disease affecting the nerves can cause problems with peeing, including diabetes. Surgery in the area can also result in voiding problems postoperatively. Spinal cord trauma/injury etc etc

JBnTX
11-08-2012, 11:25
delete

fnfalman
11-08-2012, 11:30

The beautiful thing about riding in the American Southwest is that the humidity is so slow that in a couple of minutes, everything is all dried out. I'd just pee in my pants then stand up to let the wind do the job.

HollowHead
11-08-2012, 11:34
You may be surprised. A buddy of mine earned himself some surgery after he got hammered at a party and inserted a pine needle.

That right there is funny. HH

certifiedfunds
11-08-2012, 11:36
Urinary dysfunction is pretty common in the population, they're just not prone to advertising their problem. Women are frequently subject to such problems after childbirth weakens pelvic floor muscles. Any disease affecting the nerves can cause problems with peeing, including diabetes. Surgery in the area can also result in voiding problems postoperatively. Spinal cord trauma/injury etc etc

Thanks. That makes sense. I suppose the fact that they don't talk about it is understandable and explains why it seems obscure relative to the tv advertisements.

.264 magnum
11-08-2012, 11:37

Yikes!!!!!

airmotive
11-08-2012, 11:39

Bingo. Medicare hasn't changed...that's just marketing (lying?) by a couple large catheter supply companies.

Wifey works for a small urological company.
My pantry has (litterally) 10,000 catheters of every imaginable size, length and style. Coude, French, Hy-Slip, red rubber, 8 guage to 18 guage, male/female....good God the combinations are endless.

Bladder cancer (hence the need for a catheter...your bladder is now actually made from part of your large intestine that's been fashioned into a bladder...called an "Indiana Pouch").
Spinal chord injury.
Stress-induced incontinance.
Prostate cancer or other issues.

It's an issue that is pretty easy to hide and people generally keep hidden; but it's more common that you think.

TalkToTheGlock
11-08-2012, 11:43
Enlarged prostrate, bladder cancer, bladder retention, urethral malformation, paralysis, etc etc.

Also, if you can't urinate because of any of these problems, you could develop UTI/sepsis, acute renal failure, multi-organ failure, and eventually death.

Yes, peeing doesnt only feel good, but it is good for you!

Ian Moone
11-08-2012, 11:43
My initial assumption, at least for a male, would be urinary difficulties associated with the aging prostate. I guess if medication to reduce prostate size does not work, you gotta pee somehow.

TPK
11-08-2012, 11:50
Urinary dysfunction is pretty common in the population, .... Any disease affecting the nerves can cause problems with peeing ...

And of course a huge one up here is MS. My wife has MS and has been using one for a while. She will soon be moving up to a supra-pubic when she gets her Baclofen Pump installed inside her next week.

While most folks would look at having to use one for the rest of their life as a terrible and bad thing .. for those that need them they are a godsend. The Mrs would be in and out of the biffy no less than 30 .. yes 30 !!! times a day before she got hers. Now it's simply check every couple of hours and drain as required.

certifiedfunds
11-08-2012, 11:59
Bingo. Medicare hasn't changed...that's just marketing (lying?) by a couple large catheter supply companies.

Wifey works for a small urological company.
My pantry has (litterally) 10,000 catheters of every imaginable size, length and style. Coude, French, Hy-Slip, red rubber, 8 guage to 18 guage, male/female....good God the combinations are endless.

Bladder cancer (hence the need for a catheter...your bladder is now actually made from part of your large intestine that's been fashioned into a bladder...called an "Indiana Pouch").
Spinal chord injury.
Stress-induced incontinance.
Prostate cancer or other issues.

It's an issue that is pretty easy to hide and people generally keep hidden; but it's more common that you think.

I guess your wife would know but according to the ads Medicare recently changed from paying for a few per day to a cornucopia of catheters. Apparently people were having to reuse them and now they get a fresh, clean, prelubed one every go.

nursetim
11-08-2012, 12:00
My father has prostate cancer. His prostate has obstructed his normal urinary flow to the point he was suffering from urospesis. They inserted a cudae tip cath to push through the enlarged prostate and drained 2 liters of urine. He still has this cath, and loves it BTW. I told him that the infection rate is huge for foley caths and that for long term continuous use a supra pubic cath has less of an infection profile. His urologist said intermittent cath is preferred followed by suprapubic.

Dad tried the intermittent cath for 1 day and nixed it forever. He likes his foley with the cudae tip and will stick with this for the duration.

As prostate cancer and benign prostatic hyperplasia are relatively common, catheters are not unusual. NASCAR drivers use a condom cath if I'm not mistaken.

Fnfalman, I was going to say that you are nasty dirty, then I remembered that I do the same thing when I dive. So we are both nasty dirty men. We ought to start a club.

MrsKitty
11-08-2012, 12:33

Also enlarged prostate.

MrsKitty
11-08-2012, 12:38
And of course a huge one up here is MS. My wife has MS and has been using one for a while. She will soon be moving up to a supra-pubic when she gets her Baclofen Pump installed inside her next week.

While most folks would look at having to use one for the rest of their life as a terrible and bad thing .. for those that need them they are a godsend. The Mrs would be in and out of the biffy no less than 30 .. yes 30 !!! times a day before she got hers. Now it's simply check every couple of hours and drain as required.

I have interstitial cystitis and I understand totally about running to pee 30 times a day...every 30 minutes when you're trying to sleep... It's agony. It makes doing anything damn near impossible.

certifiedfunds
11-08-2012, 12:52
Well, this thread has certainly convinced me to express my prostate more often in hopes of avoiding this prostate cancer and hyperplasia.

:thumbsup:

TPK
11-08-2012, 13:02
....It makes doing anything damn near impossible.

Sure does!! Even a short day trip was not an option without "de-hydrating" (no morning coffee!) and even then, the constant worry about where the next/nearest bathroom was totaly de-railed the supposed fun we were to be having. Yes, the lack of sleep was also a huge probelm, not now though!

schild
11-08-2012, 13:10
I had my second cardiac ablation the end of July, during the procedure they went to shove a foley cath up my package and they couldn't get it in. The nurse kept trying, I was under anesthesia, she tore my urethra in the process.

I came to in the recovery room covered with urine and blood and my urologist trying to get a cath in. They had to take me back into surgery and ream me out. I had scar tissue from having my prostate removed due to prostate cancer.

After keeping the cath in for two weeks I had to start inserting it once a day for two months, then three time a week for a month. Then hopefully I get to quit.

I could have had insurance cover them, but big deal, I found them for $.81 each on the internet.

You don't know what fun it is to stick 10" of rubber hose up your package!:rofl::rofl::rofl:

airmotive
11-08-2012, 13:13
I guess your wife would know but according to the ads Medicare recently changed from paying for a few per day to a cornucopia of catheters. Apparently people were having to reuse them and now they get a fresh, clean, prelubed one every go.

I guess it would be more accurate to say Medicare rules change all the time, but the ads are rather misleading. THose big companies you see on TV are just trying to ship the highest number and most expensive caths to a patient that they can bill Medicare for.
The average person who is dependent on cathing will go through 150-200 per month. There are no re-usable intermittant caths. That doesn't mean medicare or insurance companies won't push a patient to re-use them, but the risk/reward ratio is stupid, and the risk is entirely upon the patient and the reward goes entirely to the insurer. Caths can run from pennies a peice to a couple dollars each, depending on a thousand different variables.
Wifey's job is finding the most cost-effective suitable cath for each person that falls within their medicare and/or insurance policies....hence, my pantry full of catheters.

edited:
Wifey just corrected me. Medicare pays $1.95 per cath, regardless of the cost of the cath. So they're motivated to put people on the cheapest cath available. Wifey's little company competes with the big companies by spending 90% of her time getting people on the right cath...which can make all the difference in the world when it comes to quality of life.

glockrod
11-08-2012, 14:34
pee on the fly and let it dry comments by some posters above.

Even though you may dry, you still smell like pee.

Really, marathoners just pee down their leg!?? WTF! Do NOT want to see. I dont even pee in the ocean.

Do you really want to smell like the toilet or an overnight baby diaper?

Need I go any further with this!???

This one gets a huge "Eww, nasty!" from me!!!

And to the OP, it is just another Medicare rip-off to advertise them like that.

I just wonder when Medicare will provide butt lube for the screwing that the Mighty O is about to provide all of this 47%?

arclight610
11-08-2012, 15:34
Doesn't hurt to shove it in your weiner?

hamster
11-08-2012, 15:43
Uromysitisis poisoning Jerry, uromysitisis poisoning.

certifiedfunds
11-08-2012, 15:58
pee on the fly and let it dry comments by some posters above.

Even though you may dry, you still smell like pee.

Really, marathoners just pee down their leg!?? WTF! Do NOT want to see. I dont even pee in the ocean.

Do you really want to smell like the toilet or an overnight baby diaper?

Need I go any further with this!???

This one gets a huge "Eww, nasty!" from me!!!

And to the OP, it is just another Medicare rip-off to advertise them like that.

I just wonder when Medicare will provide butt lube for the screwing that the Mighty O is about to provide all of this 47%?

At ironman events the bike handlers wear gloves for a reason.

fnfalman
11-08-2012, 16:08
I dont even pee in the ocean.

You know that whales crap in the ocean, right?

SC Tiger
11-08-2012, 16:12
Advertisements for urethral catheters are all over TV. Ok, I get it......Medicare just changed the way they pay for this so there is money to be made selling them (see Hoveraround Scooters). However, what I don't get is who are all these millions of people who need to "cath" several times daily and WHY do they need to do it?

Well, for starters if you run one down your leg and drill a hole in the floorboard of your car, bathroom stops (for #1 anyway) are a thing of the past.

Honest I believe Ivan "Iron Man" Stewart used to use one when he raced. (I think there is a kind that just goes on like a condom though - probably much more comfortable)

Magnus2131
11-08-2012, 16:22
That you Butters? :rofl:

Wolfgang
11-08-2012, 16:29
no p in the ool

Actually Medicare has changed....you don't see Brimley selling Liberty anymore, do you?

Gonna be less scooter ads.

The cather deal won't last long---

DanaT
11-08-2012, 16:33
Well, this thread has certainly convinced me to express my prostate more often in hopes of avoiding this prostate cancer and hyperplasia.

:thumbsup:

There is guy on GT that may be able to help you out. His initials are ED. He may be able to hook you with a cheap Thai "nurse" to take care of this for you.

Alternatively, maybe someone who thinks free healthcare is a right would help you out?

DanaT
11-08-2012, 16:35
I had my second cardiac ablation the end of July, during the procedure they went to shove a foley cath up my package and they couldn't get it in.

I have never seen that surgical approach used for cardiac surgery.

DanaT
11-08-2012, 16:38
edited:
Wifey just corrected me. Medicare pays $1.95 per cath, regardless of the cost of the cath. So they're motivated to put people on the cheapest cath available. Wifey's little company competes with the big companies by spending 90% of her time getting people on the right cath...which can make all the difference in the world when it comes to quality of life.

Hmmmm.... I think I need to be making caths.

One cost is sterilization. I suspect they cost about 30 cents to make, package label and sterilize.

geofri
11-08-2012, 17:01
Don't need a catheter. Competitive bicycle racers, runners and triathletes just let fly anyway.

That's hilarious.. for a very breif second I considered checking youtube for action vids, then I realized I wouldn't want to see it.

I do pee in my wetsuit.. Jacuzzi on the go!

The beautiful thing about riding in the American Southwest is that the humidity is so slow that in a couple of minutes, everything is all dried out. I'd just pee in my pants then stand up to let the wind do the job.

There is guy on GT that may be able to help you out. His initials are ED. He may be able to hook you with a cheap Thai "nurse" to take care of this for you.

Alternatively, maybe someone who thinks free healthcare is a right would help you out?
:rofl::rofl::rofl: To all the above.

Hmmmm.... I think I need to be making caths.

One cost is sterilization. I suspect they cost about 30 cents to make, package label and sterilize.

Yanno.. I do want to get into manufacture. :wavey:

Was actually helping out a guy looking to start up a basement business, making a couple small disposable medical devices.. but he isn't moving very fast.

syntaxerrorsix
11-08-2012, 17:53

I buy 'em by the case :supergrin:

http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo144/syntaxerrorsix/photobucket-31093-1352422292202.jpg

syntaxerrorsix
11-08-2012, 17:56

Condom caths eliminate that.

southernshooter
11-08-2012, 18:01
[QUOTE=SC Tiger;19609570]Well, for starters if you run one down your leg and drill a hole in the floorboard of your car, bathroom stops (for #1 anyway) are a thing of the past.

I just use a milk jug like in "Dumb and Dumber"

schild
11-08-2012, 18:02

The first fifty or so times I did it I wanted to vomit. I kept telling my wife it felt like I was sticking a broomhandle up my wiener!:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Indy_Guy_77
11-09-2012, 07:59
I have a niece that needs caths due to a congenital birth defect having affected nerves below the L3/4 vertebrae. She's 17 now. And she'll need "something" to aid her as long as she's alive.

I have another niece/nephew due in a few days. Completely unrelated families - but exact same circumstances. Baby will need "something" as long as they're alive.

-J-