Gratuity ideas for dealership service writer [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Gratuity ideas for dealership service writer

tarpleyg
11-08-2012, 10:27
I need some help. My mom and dad drove from Dallas to New Orleans to take a cruise. As they were pulling into NO, the alternator light came on. My dad arranged for a tow to a local dealership that was closed that Sunday. They were to deliver Monday and I'd coordinate the repair so they could be ready to go the next Sunday. To make a long story short, there have been several SNAFUs that were not the result of any actions on the part of this dealership nut the service writer I have been dealing with over the phone has gone way above and beyond her duties to help is out. I'd like to send her a little something. I'd ask my dad to take care of it but his idea of gratutiy is a firm handshake and thank you. Any ideas? I do not know this woman at all. Cash is good but not possible due to the distance. Is a gift card appropriate? Amazon, Wal- Mart, Target, etc. i intend to also call the dealership manager and let him know about her help.

11-08-2012, 10:31
Whatever you do don't forget the techs who worked on the car - they're just as important as the service writer.

fnfalman
11-08-2012, 10:48
Don't get too crazy. Send her a nice flower bouquet.

BTW, is she hot? I gotta ask.

tarpleyg
11-08-2012, 10:49
While I agree, they did not perform any heroics in this case. This woman has agreed to meet with my parents on her day off amongst a number of other things she's done for us.

tarpleyg
11-08-2012, 10:49

Don't know. It's hard to see her through the phone.

bmoore
11-08-2012, 10:53
Starbucks gift card, flowers, Bevmo gift card..............something like that. Bevmo gift cards are nice cause you can write in the card "thanks for your help have a drink on me". Even if they don't drink there is tons of stuff at Bevmo they can use.

BuckeyePPC
11-08-2012, 10:57
She's a service writer. Maybe a nice pen and pencil set.

Dennis in MA
11-08-2012, 11:01

Can't you access her DL picture? :rofl:

Bruce M
11-08-2012, 11:04
Can't you access her DL picture? :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Maybe one of the gift cards from the actual credit card companies which is sort of more like cash as it has less restrictions on at where it can be used.

HarleyGuy
11-08-2012, 11:04
A thank you and a hand shake is always appreciated but it is also appropriate (IMO) to "tip" somone who gives exceptional service.
(Some employers do not allow tips, so be careful not to get anyone in trouble).

My friend and I have bought many vehicles from the same dealer and have always had them serviced there, as well as a few that were bought at other dealerships.
Both of us have "tipped" the service write-up guys and have also bought large amounts of cookies and donuts for the entire staff during the holidays.

Sometimes a simple gift card is the best way to go.

fnfalman
11-08-2012, 11:14

Next time get your parents one of those fancy smart phones with camera.:supergrin:

tarpleyg
11-08-2012, 11:21
Next time get your parents one of those fancy smart phones with camera.:supergrin:

LOL they both have iPhones but they're out of the country and I'm 1000 miles away from NO.

fnfalman
11-08-2012, 11:24
Seriously, a bouquet of flower for the nice lady. Then write a letter to the dealership's general manager extolling her virtues AND the mechanics too. You want to single her out but not to the point of ostracizing her from her colleagues.

Mr.Reignman
11-08-2012, 11:30
I need some help. My mom and dad drove from Dallas to New Orleans to take a cruise. As they were pulling into NO, the alternator light came on. My dad arranged for a tow to a local dealership that was closed that Sunday. They were to deliver Monday and I'd coordinate the repair so they could be ready to go the next Sunday. To make a long story short, there have been several SNAFUs that were not the result of any actions on the part of this dealership nut the service writer I have been dealing with over the phone has gone way above and beyond her duties to help is out. I'd like to send her a little something. I'd ask my dad to take care of it but his idea of gratutiy is a firm handshake and thank you. Any ideas? I do not know this woman at all. Cash is good but not possible due to the distance. Is a gift card appropriate? Amazon, Wal- Mart, Target, etc. i intend to also call the dealership manager and let him know about her help.

Flowers are foolish. Once upon a time, sure why not...... nowadays everyone is keen to the basics, food, water, finances.

Gift cards a good idea. Amazon is a good thought, you can also send food ie edible arrangements or something along those lines however that also falls into that novelty grey area.

Letter of recommendation is also a great idea or even a phone call to the manager.

nursetim
11-08-2012, 12:13
Edible arraignments chocolate covered strawberries. A great gift she will enjoy. Or a chocolate dipped arraignment of fruits in case if strawberry allergy.

Hines57
11-08-2012, 13:45
She's a woman, first and foremost. A gift is something with some thought behind it. Cash, not so great. Gift card, slightly better. Something that is a reminder, good thing. Flowers, cookies, not bad. A memento of some sort to put on her desk, good idea. Maybe have your parents pick up something from their trip.

Atlas
11-08-2012, 13:51
http://www.fenix-store.com/images/LD15_4.jpg

http://www.fenix-store.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_421&products_id=2340

jpa
11-10-2012, 08:15
Whatever you do don't forget the techs who worked on the car - they're just as important as the service writer.

Agreed. Maybe ordering pizza or something to the dealership service department and having it delivered? Maybe contact the service manager and ask where they usually order from and what time would be good?

Call one of the other service writers' phone numbers and ask them. Or ask her to put the mechanic on the phone and say "just answer yes or no. Is she hot?"

Seriously, a bouquet of flower for the nice lady. Then write a letter to the dealership's general manager extolling her virtues AND the mechanics too. You want to single her out but not to the point of ostracizing her from her colleagues.

Agreed a letter to the service manager, the dealership GM and the owner would go a long way.

She's a woman, first and foremost. A gift is something with some thought behind it. Cash, not so great. Gift card, slightly better. Something that is a reminder, good thing. Flowers, cookies, not bad. A memento of some sort to put on her desk, good idea. Maybe have your parents pick up something from their trip.

Send her a gift card from Victoria's Secret, a disposable camera and a prepaid self-addressed padded envelope. LOL....

wrenrj1
11-10-2012, 09:04
Sounds kinda weird. Send a letter to the GM regarding your positive experience with the dealership and her efforts to help you with your particular situation.

certifiedfunds
11-10-2012, 10:25
She's a woman. According the political commentators that means she wants an abortion. Send a donation to Planned Parenthood in her name.

HexHead
11-10-2012, 10:37
She's a woman. According the political commentators that means she wants an abortion. Send a donation to Planned Parenthood in her name.

Nah, send her a box of condoms.

Seriously, the BEST thing you can do for her is to send the GM of the dealership a letter praising the awesome service she provided you under difficult circumstances.

TK-421
11-10-2012, 10:52
Send the owner, the GM, and her immediate boss all letters talking about how great her service was, and talk about the mechanics too, so they don't feel annoyed that they don't share in the glory. Call up her boss, find out any allergies, send her flowers or an edible fruit arrangement, send beer and food to the mechanics.

Ragnar
11-10-2012, 10:56
On the letter thing, I think it would be a good idea to send her a copy too, so the GM can't put it in file 13 without her knowing that someone cared enough to write.

larry_minn
11-10-2012, 11:30
IMO keep it simple and proper. WRITE (not e-mail) a letter to her, and the dealership owner. THANK them for exceptional service for your parents.
Tell them that while you can't personally give them business you will post about it on forum so folks who are in area know of it. (then post link to dealers website/service writers name) If we have any folks in area that are looking at work they could have it done/mention why this dealership was chosen. (IMO that beats a box of chocolets/flowers to person you never met)

Hopefully if member here does they can get back with the most important fact your posts lack. IS SHE HOT???

PAPACHUCK
11-10-2012, 11:54
What Dealership?

RenoF250
11-10-2012, 12:14

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

RenoF250
11-10-2012, 12:16
Flowers are foolish but women really like them. I this case they have the added benefit of sitting on the desk pointing out she did a good job. I would also send a letter to the manager. They like to frame that and put it on the wall.

Walter Bishop
11-11-2012, 10:08
In case you didn't know, service writers are among the highest paid employees at a car dealership. They work on commission. Their salary is a percentage of the total amount of repairs they sell. The service department generates far more profits than actually selling the cars. No need to tip her. She made plenty of money off the job already.

certifiedfunds
11-11-2012, 11:12
In case you didn't know, service writers are among the highest paid employees at a car dealership. They work on commission. Their salary is a percentage of the total amount of repairs they sell. The service department generates far more profits than actually selling the cars. No need to tip her. She made plenty of money off the job already.

What someone is already making should not be a factor in considering a gratuity or nice gift. That type of thinking is "tacky".

cowboywannabe
11-11-2012, 11:25
what have to sent to the servicemen over seas?