New M&P 15 Questions [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : New M&P 15 Questions

HotRoderX
11-08-2012, 11:45
Been a while since I last posted but today I got a M&P 15 Sport. I was wondering if anyone knows a good guide on how to clean and lube it? Also just any general info for a first time AR/Rifle Owner. I have owned a few 22 rifles but never anything like the AR.

Whats yall's opinion on the M&P 15 Sport I was looking for a good entry level AR-15 that would not break the bank. I did shoot a few rounds thought it early today (around 10) seems solid.

Thanks for all the help.

bmoore
11-08-2012, 11:58
The Sport seems to be a great rifle, I do not own one but had a flawless M&P15. I use Mpro7 down my bore and run a bore snake through it. I pull the BCG group apart and either soak it in seafoam or odorless mineral spirits for a couple hours then use compressed air/wipe it off. If it is not that dirty I hit it with Mpro7, then hit it with compressed air/wipe it off.

I lube the bolt with 50/50 Mobil 1 10-30 and ATF. I use a light film of grease on the 4 BCG rails or sometimes I use Mobil1 20W-50 Vtwin on the rails, it works really well. Every few range trips I blow the fire control group out with compressed air and hit with a short blast of aerosol Remoil.

HotRoderX
11-08-2012, 17:41
Thanks guys for the help. I gotta go thought and read the AR15 sight ... I cant wait to get it to the range. I only got to shoot 10 rounds thought it but that trigger feels so sweet. I am really excited.

MrMurphy
11-08-2012, 18:05
Just remember 95% of the crap on that Other Site is just that, crap.

Remove the bolt carrier group. Wipe it down with CLP or lube of your choice. Doesn't need to be dripping. Get some on the bolt head and cam pin. Insert, work charging handle 3-4 times. Apply 2-3 drops through the holes in the side of the bolt seen through the ejection port. Charge 3 times.

You're done.

cowboy1964
11-08-2012, 20:13
Like most things these days: youtube

AR-15 Cleaning - YouTube

collim1
11-10-2012, 12:47
My sister wanted an AR15 of her own for recreation only. We ended up getting her a M&P Sport.

Its reliable and accurate. It likes to be run wet. Some CLP on a boresnake and a couple of drops in the witness holes to lube the BCG every few hundred rounds will keep it running for a long time.

She only comes in town about twice a year and thats the only time it gets a very thorough cleaning.

WoodenPlank
11-10-2012, 13:16
Just remember 95% of the crap on that Other Site is just that, crap.

Remove the bolt carrier group. Wipe it down with CLP or lube of your choice. Doesn't need to be dripping. Get some on the bolt head and cam pin. Insert, work charging handle 3-4 times. Apply 2-3 drops through the holes in the side of the bolt seen through the ejection port. Charge 3 times.

You're done.

This, but ease the bolt back a bit before trying the bit in bold. You want to be able to see the stainless steel gas rings through the 2 witness holes before dribbling some lube in there.

For lube, buy a bottle of SLIP 2k and don't look back.

Matthew Courtney
11-10-2012, 16:44
This, but ease the bolt back a bit before trying the bit in bold. You want to be able to see the stainless steel gas rings through the 2 witness holes before dribbling some lube in there.

For lube, buy a bottle of SLIP 2k and don't look back.

On all matters AR function, reliability, and maintenance related, Plank is the go to guy. For cooking advice....

HotRoderX
11-10-2012, 20:42
Thanks guys for all the advice and help. I cant wait to get it out to the range to see how it does. What I have read the Sport Models are really good rifles.

Cole125
11-10-2012, 20:51
Congrats, the Sport is a solid rifle.

Minimum cleaning is wiping the bolt carrier group down with a rag and then cover it in CLP or whatever gun oil and wipe off the excess. That will keep the gun running, remember oil/lube is much more critical than cleaning.

TangoFoxtrot
11-11-2012, 06:47
I own a S&W M&P Sport and its a great rifle. Its accurate, reliable and of good quality. Its just as good as my Colt LE6920. If not better.

faawrenchbndr
11-11-2012, 06:51
Been a while since I last posted but today I got a M&P 15 Sport. I was wondering if anyone knows a good guide on how to clean and lube it?......

Great info here,......without all the BS on a few other sites

http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?1605-CLEANING-WITH-BREAK-FREE-BORE-CLEANING-FOAM

blastfact
11-11-2012, 16:33
Just clean and lube it up.