British Television [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : British Television

Bren
11-08-2012, 10:54
Using Netflix instead of cable for time-killing while I eat lunch, I watch a few British TV series that we don't see on cable. What I have found is that it is a very disturbing and depressing look at what they have become and what we are headed for, especially in terms of liberal bias and PC.

Currently, I have "Ultimate Force" on - the British version of The Unit, about an SAS troop doing law-enforcement and counter-terrorism missions. In each episode it gets more and more ridiculous that 100% of the bad guys are white (not even a minority member on teams of armed robbers) and where politics are an issue, they are 100% right wing. This is for 2 seasons, so far. White supremacists, anti-globalists, religious nuts, eastern Europeans, even the French army in 1 episode. Are they really so PC that they are required to pretend their criminals and terrorist are all white christians?

On top of that, their soldiers, from one of the most highly trained and disciplined units in the world, are portrayed as bloodthirsty cavemen, thieves and thugs - do the Irish write this stuff?

This is a step beyong the post-apocalyptic "Survivors" where only the evil people used guns, even in a woerld with no government, and the good people got by sharing and being nice and depending on luck and the good will of the bad guys with guns.

British TV is pretty disturbing in a subtle way.

HollowHead
11-08-2012, 11:06
Moonshiners.
Swamp People.
Honey Boo Boo.

UK television doesn't look so bad afterall... HH

Pawcatch@aol.co
11-08-2012, 11:11
Moonshiners.
Swamp People.Honey Boo Boo.

I don't understand your point about Swamp People.
I think that show portrays gator hunters in a positive light.
You got salt of the earth types making a living from the land.

cranejc
11-08-2012, 11:14
Doctor Who
Sherlock
Law & Order UK
Copper

Bren
11-08-2012, 11:44
Moonshiners.
Swamp People.
Honey Boo Boo.

Honestly, if given a choice between idiotic redneck and weak, spineless liberal, I'd be less embarrassed by the idiotic rednecks.

Doctor Who
Sherlock
Law & Order UK
Copper

I like Sherlock, although Sherlock and Watson get away with a lot more gunplay than is realistic for the UK. Did the Army just let Watson keep that Sig as a souvenir? Actually, of the 6 Sherlock episodes/movies I like the first 4, but after the one with Irene Adler, the next couple were a let-down. Haven't seen season 3 yet.

I thought Copper was American. I also like it.

I don't like Law & Order in any version, least of all the UK version. It does comply with the Bamber Act (apparently there is a Royal decree that all British series have to have Jamie Bamber in the cast).

Don't like Dr. Who.

Batesmotel
11-08-2012, 11:54
Haven't seen season 3 yet

Hasn't been filmed yet if I understand Right. Sherlock and Watson are working on The Hobbit.

fowl intent
11-08-2012, 11:55
Sorry I can't back up your political view of British Television. I stumbled on one of their sitcoms, "Doc Martin" and I think it may be the best written and acted television I have ever seen. I have watched all 40+ episodes on Netflix, and wish there were more.

coastal4974
11-08-2012, 11:59
Does their 80 year old CO use their wives as spies too?

The Unit :rofl:

Dennis in MA
11-08-2012, 12:01
French Army?

Who did they send in to take them out? An 8 yr old girl? :rofl:

treeline
11-08-2012, 12:26
This thread is wierder than the one where Bren got so worked up about a song the BBC wouldn't play in the 1950s.

Bren
11-08-2012, 12:41
French Army?

Who did they send in to take them out? An 8 yr old girl? :rofl:

They're British - the French nearly kicked their a&&es.

Batesmotel
11-08-2012, 13:30
"Doc Martin" and I think it may be the best written and acted television I have ever seen.

Created by Craig Ferguson. He is much deeper than his TV show.

fowl intent
11-08-2012, 15:37
Batesmotel: have you watched any of the episodes? If so, what is your opinion?

GeorgiaGlocker
11-08-2012, 15:40
I perfer the older Brit shows such as:

Are You Being Served?
Keeping Up Apperances
As Time Goes By
Doc Martin

Batesmotel
11-08-2012, 15:47
Batesmotel: have you watched any of the episodes? If so, what is your opinion?

A few. Very good writing and production. A bit slow in a typical british way. I just haven't seen enough to know all the characters and back stories. I may watch more now I found it on Netflix instant watch.

Batesmotel
11-08-2012, 15:48
I perfer the older Brit shows such as:

Are You Being Served?
Keeping Up Apperances
As Time Goes By
Doc Martin

Classics, BTW Red Dwarf is back.

turretg
11-08-2012, 16:04
Classics, BTW Red Dwarf is back.

Love Red Dwarf. Loved Monty Python, Reginald Perrin, Benny Hill but those would be considered too un-PC to air I guess thats why I bought the DVDS! Ha.

HollowHead
11-08-2012, 16:08
Just scored The Young Ones DVD box. Great stuff! HH

Batesmotel
11-08-2012, 16:28
Just scored The Young Ones DVD box. Great stuff! HH

Guys! Guys! One of Vivian's socks has escaped! :rofl:

The Fist Of Goodness
11-08-2012, 17:53
I am halfway through the Ultimate Force series too. I concur on the political view points. The action sequences are pretty cheesy too.

The Intel chick is pretty hot, though.

Eric
11-08-2012, 17:56
One of the best lines I have heard recently was on the British version of Law & Order. A gangster type told someone that if he found out that he ratted him out, "He would be picking up his teeth with broken fingers." That right there is good dialog.:supergrin: Eric

GeorgiaGlocker
11-08-2012, 18:20
A couple of others are:

A Thin Blue Line
Vicar of Dibley

GT4494
11-08-2012, 18:52
If you are into detective series there is one called "New Tricks". Its about retired policemen that join up and investigate cold cases.

RedTop
11-08-2012, 18:58
Doctor Who

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-WuYv6b6Pnrw/T0E2bNOh3GI/AAAAAAAAAGg/13mWKqRtp-k/s320/KarenGillan.jpg

:hearts:

KY Moose
11-08-2012, 19:55
Using Netflix instead of cable for time-killing while I eat lunch, I watch a few British TV series that we don't see on cable. What I have found is that it is a very disturbing and depressing look at what they have become and what we are headed for, especially in terms of liberal bias and PC.

Currently, I have "Ultimate Force" on - the British version of The Unit, about an SAS troop doing law-enforcement and counter-terrorism missions. In each episode it gets more and more ridiculous that 100% of the bad guys are white (not even a minority member on teams of armed robbers) and where politics are an issue, they are 100% right wing. This is for 2 seasons, so far. White supremacists, anti-globalists, religious nuts, eastern Europeans, even the French army in 1 episode. Are they really so PC that they are required to pretend their criminals and terrorist are all white christians?

On top of that, their soldiers, from one of the most highly trained and disciplined units in the world, are portrayed as bloodthirsty cavemen, thieves and thugs - do the Irish write this stuff?

This is a step beyong the post-apocalyptic "Survivors" where only the evil people used guns, even in a woerld with no government, and the good people got by sharing and being nice and depending on luck and the good will of the bad guys with guns.

Skip that crap and go straight to MI-5.

After watching 1 episode, I was hooked for all 10 seasons.

Zonny
11-08-2012, 20:02
Keeping Up Appearances. That show cracks me up.

50 Cent
11-08-2012, 20:39
Luther!!

97XJ_Sport
11-08-2012, 20:44
Top Gear, dude. If you haven't already seen it.

Slug71
11-08-2012, 20:51
I like British TV. They and a lot of other countries still allow nudity and swearing unlike this censorship happy country.

Less commercials too.

DustyDawg48
11-08-2012, 21:00
Top Gear, dude. If you haven't already seen it.

This +1000!

Top Gear is brilliant...one of the best television shows...............in the world! (If you'd watch Top Gear UK, you'd get that reference :supergrin:) and For the record, Jeremy Clarkson is a god.

Batesmotel
11-08-2012, 22:38
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-WuYv6b6Pnrw/T0E2bNOh3GI/AAAAAAAAAGg/13mWKqRtp-k/s320/KarenGillan.jpg

:hearts:

I am going to miss her.:crying:

Hamilton Burger
11-08-2012, 22:42
I like British TV. They and a lot of other countries still allow nudity and swearing unlike this censorship happy country.

Less commercials too.

Bloody.

Bum.

Bollocks.

You call that swearing? :headscratch:

Slug71
11-08-2012, 22:43
Bloody.

Bum.

Bollocks.

You call that swearing? :headscratch:

Lol. They allow cussing in movies.

Hawaiiglock
11-09-2012, 01:02
Has anyone had the displeasure of watching "The Estate" on BBC? It's about a housing project where a majority of people are on the dole, kind of a view what America may become if we don't kick the welfare habit.

Bren
11-13-2012, 17:59
OK, I'm up to season 4 of Ultimate Force (only 4-6 episodes a season). Finally 3 epiisodes with bad guys who are not 100% white (Africans, Columbians and Afghans and Arabs 1 episode each). Then they brought U..S. Special Forces into an episode. I thought the British disrespect for their own army was showing through, but nothing compared to what they think of ours. The whole SF team have Texas accents, hate black people and are generally dumb as rocks. The British have already lectured them on "a cavalier attitude toward foreign policy" and "acting like they own the world."

Typical. Makes American television look like serious art with a right wing slant.:upeyes:

Gallium
11-13-2012, 18:07
Never knew there be a L&O UK. Sometimes I think I should crawl out further from under this bridge.

tsmo1066
11-13-2012, 18:17
I used to love Fawlty Towers, and The Young Ones still ranks as some of the best comedy ever put on television!

And how did this thread make it to page 2 without anyone bringing up Monte Python's Flying Circus????

waawaaweenie
11-13-2012, 19:10
An Idiot Abroad, a Ricky Gervais show about sending his best friend,Karl to see and do various things around the world and seeing how he copes and does not enjoy any of them. very funny

Top Gear, like posted above, one of the best shows in the world. much better than the US version

Fifth Gear, another car show that is pretty good.

Eric
11-13-2012, 19:28
Who remembers Red Dwarf? Eric

97XJ_Sport
11-13-2012, 20:05
X2 for An idiot Abroad.

NOLA_glock
11-14-2012, 08:51
Black Adder was hilarious.

roadforeman
11-14-2012, 10:11
I remember Red Dwarf. Have 'em all on DVD. Also Blackadder. Baldrick for president (can't be any worse)!

Batesmotel
11-14-2012, 15:14
Who remembers Red Dwarf? Eric

It's back!

Season 10 just played. Only 6 episodes. Hopefully a longer season 11 next year.

They skipped season 9. Lots of jokes about how great season 9 was. That is how they are dealing with any continuity problems. Anything out of cannon is explained away in the mythical season 9.

Hamilton Burger
11-14-2012, 15:46
http://i45.tinypic.com/10ro6jm.png
http://i45.tinypic.com/4lv8j.png

HollowHead
11-14-2012, 15:51
http://i45.tinypic.com/10ro6jm.png

Are You Being Served still kills! HH

turretg
11-14-2012, 16:18
I remember Red Dwarf. Have 'em all on DVD. Also Blackadder. Baldrick for president (can't be any worse)!

Love Red Dwarf! Would like to get into Black Adder! Rowen Atkinson is great.

RonS
11-14-2012, 16:45
Most mainstream television is propaganda of one kind or another. Some is more subtle than others.

All average men are stupid and would starve to death if it weren't for their wives or children.

The military is made up of a large mass of illiterate thugs ruled over by hyper ambitious generals who are constantly plotting to rule the world or at least create a super weapon so someone else can rule the world.

People are either innocent to the point of helplessness or ruthless predators preying on them. Only the presence of hardworking, noble government employees keeps the wolves from eating all the sheep instead of just the one you see in the first 3 minutes of the show outlined in chalk.

Anyone who owns a business is characterized as one of two kinds. If the business is small they are a good hearted bumbler who runs a pub or other small, traditional service business. The only other alternative is the uber wealthy destroyer of the environment and the lives of small people everywhere who chortles as his thuggish minions bulldoze the rainforest while selling poisoned fruit to homeless orphans.

The residual message of most televison programs is simple. Your neighbors are stupid or criminals and you are too stupid to know what is good for you. Everyone is out to get you except the government. You need more government to protect you from people just like you or you will get robbed or murdered.

Yes, as a matter of fact, for those who might not have guessed, I DO hate the mass media. I don't know how it happened that the majority of the mass media in the West hates everything that makes a peaceful and prosperous society possible but I am convinced that they do and are working to destroy it.

I sometimes fantasize that small sleeper cells of KGB agents infiltrated the Eastern liberal arts universities and took over the media and education programs for the purpose of undermining the US and no one told them that the Cold War was over and that they could quit, go home and have a cold one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperbole

HollowHead
11-14-2012, 20:15
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l249/marmadukeruggles/abfab.jpg

For the win! HH

porschedog
11-14-2012, 20:21
Top Gear - the original BBC version - is my favorite show, unless kona is wearing a bikini on Hawaii 5 O

lakota169
11-15-2012, 16:13
Mrs. Brown's Boys

Mrs Brown gets a Bikini wax - Video Dailymotion

pizza_pablo
11-15-2012, 23:17
And how did this thread make it to page 2 without anyone bringing up Monte Python's Flying Circus????

Because I've been working!
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_xdQGF1bdj7E/TBV55fTAZcI/AAAAAAAAADU/1JtaxrGjWZg/s1600/python03-746340-12.jpg

:rock: MONTE PYTHON'S FLYING CIRCUS!!! FTW!!!:rock:

Blast
11-16-2012, 00:52
Benny Hill - Flu Injections - YouTube

The Handyman.. Benny Hill.. Duped By Many! - YouTube

FLIPPER 348
11-16-2012, 07:50

We use our Netflix Geek out on the British Dramas like Downton Abbey, Doc Martin & such. Island at War was a great series.

Bren
11-16-2012, 08:36
Saw a British show last night that was so poorly made it would have never seen airtime here, but which apparently went a few seasons there. A POS show about juvenile delinquents with super powers called "Misfits."

Their ability to find actors that are just shocking ugly and/or strange looking apparently knowns no bounds. As of the first episode, their accomplishments only extended to killing 2 probation officers. I doubt I'll watch a second one. Aside from the heinously ugly girls in the show, the guy with really big eyes who never blinks or changes his facial expression is so creepy he distracts you from the show - since there is no apparent plot, that may be a good thing.

Obviously, it's still not as bad as Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter.