Situational awareness - you need it! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Situational awareness - you need it!

Idontplaynice
11-08-2012, 12:45
(as well as a gun and CHL)

Man gets beaten unconscious and robbed while standing at urinal in First Colony Mall (this is an upscale mall in Houston)

This happened at 8:40 pm, Nov 5.

http://www.click2houston.com/news/Man-beaten-unconscious-in-mall-restroom/-/1735978/17327902/-/9m8v5iz/-/index.html

Goldendog Redux
11-08-2012, 12:48
I almost always always use the stall. Not a fan of standing with my back to everyone with my...well, you know.

certifiedfunds
11-08-2012, 12:59
I almost always always use the stall. Not a fan of standing with my back to everyone with my...well, you know.

Yeah, but if I spin around I have a weapon in my hand!

fnfalman
11-08-2012, 13:37
I don't use public restroom. That's why God invented Depends.

hamster
11-08-2012, 14:18
(as well as a gun and CHL)

Man gets beaten unconscious and robbed while standing at urinal in First Colony Mall (this is an upscale mall in Houston)

This happened at 8:40 pm, Nov 5.

http://www.click2houston.com/news/Man-beaten-unconscious-in-mall-restroom/-/1735978/17327902/-/9m8v5iz/-/index.html

Story says he was attacked while washing his hands.

Disintegr8or
11-08-2012, 14:19

That's why I don't wash my hands after peeing in the stall

Brucev
11-08-2012, 14:19
Hum... awareness is always wise, driving a car, etc., even using a urinal. The idea that one can always anticipate every possible problem is simply wishful thinking. As to drawing a weapon in the midst of using a toilet... perhaps one could practice such a tactical situation at a private range... maybe.

certifiedfunds
11-08-2012, 14:30

See my catheter thread

SMOKEin
11-08-2012, 14:32
Hum... awareness is always wise, driving a car, etc., even using a urinal. The idea that one can always anticipate every possible problem is simply wishful thinking. As to drawing a weapon in the midst of using a toilet... perhaps one could practice such a tactical ****uation at a private range... maybe.

Fixed it for ya. :)

RonS
11-08-2012, 15:22
One of my flight chiefs in Taiwan was stabbed in the back at a urinal in a downtown bar. Couple of po'd Taiwanese army troops came back after a GI that had been hitting on one of their girl friends. Too bad they came back hours later when the guy was gone. The knife had been ground out of a file and not tempered so it broke the tip off in his shoulder blade or the next few stabs would have killed him. I only use urinals at work, not in public places.

hamster
11-08-2012, 15:26
On a related note: We are finishing the basement and putting in a bathroom. I wanted to get a urinal put in but the wife put the kibosh on that idea real quick.

arclight610
11-08-2012, 15:28
I always feel vulnerable when peeing at a public urinal. Your forehead is only a few inches from a concrete wall. All it takes is someone to come up behind you and slam your head into it.

Glock20 10mm
11-08-2012, 15:34
One more reason I prefer to piss on a tree.

costanza187
11-08-2012, 15:51
I was once at a "welcome center" when a guy got mugged/ or an attempted robbery.

It was really weird, we were there just killing some time before having to be somewhere, and weren't in a big hurry. So we were just hanging out in the lobby.

All of a sudden, there was this huge commotion, a guy was yelling stuff like "GET OF ME!, YOU ARE A PERVERT" and a lot of obscenities. The guy left the building and all eyes were on the door to see who came out. This old guy came staggering out of the bathroom with his hand on his back, all shocked looking and not even able to speak. He was finally able to get some words out. He said "He tried to take my wallet, he tried to rob me".

Come to find out what happened, the old guy was at the urinal doing his business and the perp came up behind him with a stun-gun and hit him in the back and tried to grab his wallet.

I was like an eye witness to the guy coming out of the bathroom yelling about someday trying to molest him in the bathroom but for the life of me, I could not remember what he even looked like because like everybody else, all eyes were on the door to see who the alleged "pervert" was coming out of the bathroom. The perp created a big diversion away from himself and was long gone before anybody found out what was really going on.

certifiedfunds
11-08-2012, 15:55
On a related note: We are finishing the basement and putting in a bathroom. I wanted to get a urinal put in but the wife put the kibosh on that idea real quick.

Tell her you can just pee in the lav

nursetim
11-08-2012, 15:56

I thought you just peed on yourself?:supergrin:

fnfalman
11-08-2012, 16:00
I thought you just peed on yourself?:supergrin:

That's for long distance riding.

volky
11-08-2012, 18:25
If I'm standing at a urinal, I already have a weapon in my hand. :)

Hef
11-08-2012, 18:29

"Tactical Adult Diapers"

THEPOPE
11-08-2012, 18:34
Don't bring a wet noodle to a sword fight....'jus' sayin'...:whistling:

Out, sure I am.........:cool:

larry_minn
11-08-2012, 18:52
Some places I don't use urinals. There is a mall I used to go to. Bathrooms are down a 80' long hallway (with exit door 20' beyond) That place I open door, look, move in, use stall with right hand free, leave. Yrs ago there were a couple assults there.
Some of big box store I use either. Rest stops (at night) if outstate I have knife in hand/open along arm. Nobody had ever seen it.

porschedog
11-08-2012, 18:58
Pee on a tree? I guess you haven't had a pack of ninja squirrels attack you....yet

mortpes
11-08-2012, 20:12
Areas to be high alert=ATM, Gas Station, Restroom......

Defender77
11-09-2012, 03:08
When I was about 12 I was using the bathroom at a public place and was just about finished when two guys in their late teens to early 20's walked in and started using the urinals.

My spidey senses started going off though, when both of them started turning their heads in my direction and kept looking at me.

I think they were fixing to rob me so I got out of there quick.

Bruce M
11-09-2012, 06:36
See my catheter thread
:rofl::rofl:

I really thought that thread had alot of potential until some of the people who actually need them weighed in. I feel badly for them and wish them the best.

certifiedfunds
11-09-2012, 06:42
When I was about 12 I was using the bathroom at a public place and was just about finished when two guys in their late teens to early 20's walked in and started using the urinals.

My spidey senses started going off though, when both of them started turning their heads in my direction and kept looking at me.

I think they were fixing to rob me so I got out of there quick.

When you were 12? Rob you for what?

They probably thought you had a pretty mouf.

cowboywannabe
11-09-2012, 06:53

this. my $%&@ is cleaner than my hands when you considered it was washed and put away in cotton underwear while hands have been touching God knows what out in public.....not to mention picking my nose..:supergrin:

eruby
11-09-2012, 07:22
this. my $%&@ is cleaner than my hands when you considered it was washed and put away in cotton underwear while hands have been touching God knows what out in public.....not to mention picking my nose..:supergrin:Exactly.

You may not always know what your hands touched but you should always know what your peenis touched. :supergrin:

frizz
11-09-2012, 07:27
I was once at a "welcome center" when a guy got mugged/ or an attempted robbery.

It was really weird, we were there just killing some time before having to be somewhere, and weren't in a big hurry. So we were just hanging out in the lobby.

"Hanging out" in a rest area is not a good idea. You know who hangs out at rest areas...

I was going to say "not that there's anything wrong with that..." until I remembered that those of "them" who cruise at rest stops usually "do it" where people can see them. Gay or straight, pubic sex is not OK.

MrKandiyohi
11-09-2012, 07:33

Exactly. After you flush you have this bowl full of clean water with which to wash your hands. They even have thin paper towels in a small roll in the stall for drying your hands.

Sharkey
11-09-2012, 08:06

THAT is funny. It also gives an odor repellant as well.

costanza187
11-09-2012, 08:46
"Hanging out" in a rest area is not a good idea. You know who hangs out at rest areas...

I was going to say "not that there's anything wrong with that..." until I remembered that those of "them" who cruise at rest stops usually "do it" where people can see them. Gay or straight, pubic sex is not OK.

Well I should have specified... it was a place called "Whitehaven" yes it a "welcome center" not a "rest area". It has tours and stuff, kind of an interesting historical place... it is NOT a place to meet George Michael.

http://www.kentuckytourism.com/travel_tools/welcome_centers/whitehaven-mansionwelcome-center/2481/

certifiedfunds
11-09-2012, 09:22

Liberals?

certifiedfunds
11-09-2012, 09:23
this. my $%&@ is cleaner than my hands when you considered it was washed and put away in cotton underwear while hands have been touching God knows what out in public.....not to mention picking my nose..:supergrin:

I dip mine in rubbing alcohol at the end of each day.

frizz
11-09-2012, 11:25
Liberals?
They tend to be...

certifiedfunds
11-09-2012, 13:29
They tend to be...

I'm gonna have to watch something about mary this weekend :supergrin:

frizz
11-10-2012, 00:36
I dip mine in rubbing alcohol at the end of each day.
That's gotta burn.

On the other hand, it takes care of that "not so fresh feeling."

:tongueout:

Gray_Rider
11-11-2012, 14:03
I read something reciently about a man using a reststop stall and hearing someone walk in and stand a few feet from the door. Another person also entered and both were quiet, waiting just a few feet away. The man in the stall racked his P32 and suddenly there was the sound of running feet as both potential trouble makers fled like their proverbial har was on fire and something else was catching. Leaving the restroom, a trucker who observed the two enter said they left in a great hurry and drove off in their car just as fast. The trucker said the men had observed him when he entered and he felt something just didn't feel right about the way they were acting.

Pack everywhere you can, and yes, keep your wits about you all the time.

Gray_Rider

Clutch Cargo
11-12-2012, 12:58
That's why MC patch holders use prospects to watch their back.

Clutch Cargo
11-12-2012, 13:05
One of the first things I tell my martial arts students: prepare for anything