Curious question, do squatters have castle law rights at your house? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Curious question, do squatters have castle law rights at your house?

razageorge
11-08-2012, 13:12
This question just got me wondering if a squatter has the same rights under castle law as the original homeowner?

I've seen it somewhere where some family took up residence in a home and the original family couldn't remove them from their home, by law.

Batesmotel
11-08-2012, 13:22
In the USA it depends on the local (state, county or city) laws.

In Salt Lake City, I got a squatters rights law removed from the books. It was from the 1850s and intended to allow horse and wagon type immigrants squat on land, build basic shelter and have access to water if they arrived late in the year. They were expected to find their own land in the spring.

No need to have someone freeze to death and it is not going to hurt to give up a bit of land in the dead of winter.

Some one dug up the old law and found a loophole created by modern times. They broke into an apartment I was remodeling and had the utilities turned on in their name. Now it was legally their residence. I had to evict them. They could have legally defended the residence.

That law is now gone here but similar laws exist in other jurisdictions within the US. Great Britain is real bad.

JW1178
11-08-2012, 13:22
This question just got me wondering if a squatter has the same rights under castle law as the original homeowner?

I've seen it somewhere where some family took up residence in a home and the original family couldn't remove them from their home, by law.

Well, I think if they were living there, and someone came to rob them, then yes it would. Might give them a legal headache though.

Now if you owned the property and they just moved in and you came to kick them out, no they wouldn't. However, there are laws about that. Call the sheriff's office.

hamster
11-08-2012, 14:01
In the USA it depends on the local (state, county or city) laws.

In Salt Lake City, I got a squatters rights law removed from the books. It was from the 1850s and intended to allow horse and wagon type immigrants squat on land, build basic shelter and have access to water if they arrived late in the year. They were expected to find their own land in the spring.

No need to have someone freeze to death and it is not going to hurt to give up a bit of land in the dead of winter.

Some one dug up the old law and found a loophole created by modern times. They broke into an apartment I was remodeling and had the utilities turned on in their name. Now it was legally their residence. I had to evict them. They could have legally defended the residence.

That law is now gone here but similar laws exist in other jurisdictions within the US. Great Britain is real bad.

Wow that is CRAZY!

You need this sign:
http://image.spreadshirt.com/image-server/v1/compositions/16256757/views/1,width=280,height=280,appearanceId=1.png/posted-no-trespassing-violators-will-be-prostituted_design.png

razageorge
11-08-2012, 14:12
Okay, I do not have a squatter living in my home. There is nothing a gallon of gas can't get rid of.

Batesmotel, could you, by happenstance, been in your dwelling and shot this dude dead while he's inside mooching and then told the cops he was trying to attack you as you were minding your own business?

I just cant see myself being cool with some moochers sitting in my home because the law said they could. There would just be to many evil things I would react to. Hope it never happens to me.

Bren
11-08-2012, 14:32

I take it you're in Europe? Here we can either have them arrested for burglary or shoot them.

Batesmotel, could you, by happenstance, been in your dwelling and shot this dude dead while he's inside mooching and then told the cops he was trying to attack you as you were minding your own business?

I don't know about where he lives, but in Kentucky you don't have to be attacked or in danger - if you live in the house, you can just shoot the burglar at your discretion for no more reason than to end the burglary.

Batesmotel
11-08-2012, 14:54
Wow that is CRAZY!

You need this sign:
http://image.spreadshirt.com/image-server/v1/compositions/16256757/views/1,width=280,height=280,appearanceId=1.png/posted-no-trespassing-violators-will-be-prostituted_design.png

We had that too:rofl:

The six-plex across the street was a well known brothel. Even had red porch lights and an open/closed sign. When the city finally shut them down they tried to rent from me.

On changing the law, Mayor Palmer Depaulis jumped on it immediately. The city struck it from the books within days. It still took a while to kick them out.