Stovepipe twice in one day w/ Glock 19 gen3 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Stovepipe twice in one day w/ Glock 19 gen3

coolhand35
11-08-2012, 14:30
Hey yall. I know this is probably a very frequently asked question. But has anyone experienced at least one stovepipes with the glock 19 gen3. I bought it brand new and have already put about 250 rounds with not one issue and today I was showing my dad how to use my glock cause i will be on vacation and left it for him just in case he needed it so i chambered one round into the magazine and took the empty magazine out so there was no magazine in it just one round in the chamber. He then aimed down into the ditch where i live and fired it one handed but the spent casing stovepiped and it did not eject the spent casing(got stuck) i have never had this problem. So after that happened i went to the range with 100 rounds and shot one handed with with my strong hand trying to limp wrist it and make it stovepipe but couldn,t make it stovepipe and fired a lot of rounds rapid firing with zero issues . I then loaded about ten rounds in a mag and tried shooting with my left hand which is my weak hand and fired it and it had a failure to feed right away and when i shot i did not have a very good grip and somehow the slide came back and cut my right hand don't know how the heck that happed. Do you think there is anything at all wrong with the gun or could it be a grip issue. Has anyone experienced at leaste 1 or 2 stovepipes or failure to feed. My main concern is if it's a gun issue or something wrong with the gun! Any input would be much appreciated...Thanx alot! sorry for the long post but im not really familiar with the glock i shoot 1911's but ive always wanted a glock19

dhgeyer
11-08-2012, 14:49
Glocks are apparently not designed to eject properly when fired with the magazine removed. With aftermarket replacement parts some Glocks can be made to do this. But a failure to eject with the magazine removed is basically normal for Glocks.

Some recent production Glock Gen3 and Gen4 guns are having ejection issues. There are a number of recent threads on this forum about this. Search for "dipped extractor", "336 ejector", "0-3 RSA", "Brass to Face" or "BTF", or "BTTF". There is a wealth of information on this. However, it doesn't sound like you are having real issues with this, as you have not had any troubles when firing the pistol normally.

Your failure to feed may have been due to the mag not being fully seated, overall length of the cartridge being too short, or, more likely from your account, your hand interfering with the slide's motion.

DannyR
11-08-2012, 15:15
There is nothing wrong with your Glock. If you fire 1,000 rounds right handed with no issue and 10 rounds left handed with a stovepipe, what does that tell you? It tells me that your left handed grip needs work.

jack76590
11-08-2012, 15:26
Hey yall. I know this is probably a very frequently asked question. But has anyone experienced at least one stovepipes with the glock 19 gen3. I bought it brand new and have already put about 250 rounds with not one issue and today I was showing my dad how to use my glock cause i will be on vacation and left it for him just in case he needed it so i chambered one round into the magazine and took the empty magazine out so there was no magazine in it just one round in the chamber. He then aimed down into the ditch where i live and fired it one handed but the spent casing stovepiped and it did not eject the spent casing(got stuck) i have never had this problem. So after that happened i went to the range with 100 rounds and shot one handed with with my strong hand trying to limp wrist it and make it stovepipe but couldn,t make it stovepipe and fired a lot of rounds rapid firing with zero issues . I then loaded about ten rounds in a mag and tried shooting with my left hand which is my weak hand and fired it and it had a failure to feed right away and when i shot i did not have a very good grip and somehow the slide came back and cut my right hand don't know how the heck that happed. Do you think there is anything at all wrong with the gun or could it be a grip issue. Has anyone experienced at leaste 1 or 2 stovepipes or failure to feed. My main concern is if it's a gun issue or something wrong with the gun! Any input would be much appreciated...Thanx alot! sorry for the long post but im not really familiar with the glock i shoot 1911's but ive always wanted a glock19

If you fire a glock with no mag, the brass will often eject down. I have had the brass do a stove pipe. But I have also had brass eject down thru the empty mag well. In latter case slide was not fast enough to catch brass and it eject at bottom of mag well. I don't think you have a problem.

Hognutz
11-08-2012, 15:28
Don't sweat the small stuff..

SCmasterblaster
11-08-2012, 15:35
I am sure that GG designed the G17 to eject brass with the magazine inserted.

Bruce M
11-08-2012, 17:52
My guess is that not only some Glocks but some other pistols will sometimes stovepipe when fired with no magazine and nothing pushing up on the round from below. As suggested in this case the chances are excellent that the issue is not the pistol.

coolhand35
11-08-2012, 22:21
Thanks everyone who commented I really do appreciate you taking the time to answer my question and it helped a lot cause im not too familiar with glocks. I am very familiar with 1911's and have worked on them for years so if you ever have a question about a 1911 just message me and I would be glad to help and answer any questions....Thanx a lo!!

Marcopolo2050
11-10-2012, 19:06

I have EXACTLY the same issue. I thought i had it behind me because the first time it happened it was new out of the box uncleaned. But today, I shot 4 full 15round magazines thru it. Mag 2 round 2 had the issue. Cleared it, mags 3 and 4 no problems. Next weekend I plan on putting about 100 rounds thru it. I am concerned.

4949shooter
11-10-2012, 20:25
There is nothing wrong with your Glock. If you fire 1,000 rounds right handed with no issue and 10 rounds left handed with a stovepipe, what does that tell you? It tells me that your left handed grip needs work.

I think this post has it right.

Also, your dad being a new Glock shooter may have inadvertently induced a malfunction.