What do you think about a life line [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What do you think about a life line

Hailstorm
11-08-2012, 17:09
Here is a thought. We are spread all over the U.S.A. What if, when we travel to a local area and we have trouble. Wouldn't it be nice to send a SOS out and see if someone is in the area to help?

Not sure how we can set it up. A data base of contact info with locations I guess. I would be willing to help someone who was in need passing thru my area. I know others would as well.

So, for example. I live in Canton Michigan. Someone having trouble near there would be able to contact me for help. Because, really. We are an extended family of sorts.

Thoughts?

Street Fighter
11-08-2012, 17:13
I like the idea, my friends and I did that several years back after we all left college and spread out across the U.S.

Works great when you forget where someone lives. Plus when breaking down in the middle of the night on the eastern coast during winter sucks......unless you remember your friend is 30 minutes away.......and you have their number.

JerryVO
11-08-2012, 17:20
I like the idea too.... unless you are a government spy buildind a gun owner database (jk). Not only for the emergencies when traveling but if anything ever 'happened' it would be nice to know where like minded individuals are near me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

deadmanglocking
11-08-2012, 17:22
I'm in. Set it up and I'll add my info.
Dallas, Tx

The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles.

Dalton Wayne
11-08-2012, 17:22
Ocala Florida checking in 352-286-0580

Hailstorm
11-08-2012, 18:59
I wonder how it can be set up. We just need a place to make a database.

As for this making a list for the government. Believe me. We all are on the list already. I figure I have been on more then one list since the early 90's.

deadmanglocking
11-08-2012, 19:09
What about some sort of wiki based page that could be edited by anyone but set up so you needed a password to access it? I don't know if that would even be possible(computer retarded)..

The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles.

NH Trucker
11-08-2012, 19:18
I'd help out anyone passing through NH or within a couple hours of my home.

Hailstorm
11-08-2012, 19:33
What about a thread that is stickied. Then those of us who wish to be of help can post contact info?

jame
11-08-2012, 19:35
Rural Story County, Iowa here.

costanza187
11-08-2012, 19:39
Far western KY here

*ASH*
11-08-2012, 19:43
good idea , but its a bottle rocket

take off fast and loud then fizz out in time . i just use the SPOT gps when hiking or camping in remote areas

Detectorist
11-08-2012, 19:45
Good idea. Call it (F)riends (In) (D)istress.

'FIND'

NMGlocker
11-08-2012, 19:52
Are you about a size 14?

arclight610
11-08-2012, 19:53
Nice try ATF agent

NH Trucker
11-08-2012, 21:31
Are you about a size 14?

Just say no to the lotion...

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

Dennis in MA
11-09-2012, 07:36
Technically, isn't this more Phone a Friend than Lifeline? I thought Lifeline was one person and you had a choice based on expertise for Phone a Friend.

What about a 50/50? I'm up for that.

JDennis
11-09-2012, 07:38
I think its a good idea. I am in. Des Moines, IA

M&P15T
11-09-2012, 08:16
NoVa here.

PM me, I'll help.

Aux Bear
11-09-2012, 08:51
I belong to a national motorcycle forum. It has a similar thing going and it does well. I's a listing of individuals, basically bike owners, with equipment, tools and a willingness to help fellow bikers who have the misfortune to have a break down. Look up a member close to you, give them a call and if at all possible he will be out to help. Appears to work. I was holding back on joining until I bought a bike suitable trailer so I really had something to offer.

glock_collector
11-09-2012, 15:52
This is a really cool idea, we have central MN covered!

bigmac85
11-09-2012, 15:55
Im in tulsa. Im in

.264 magnum
11-09-2012, 16:05
There is a little; "Red Dawn" angle to this that I really like.

Someone cleve the details.

Dallas Texas here as well.

cranejc
11-09-2012, 16:08
NE/E Alabama, checking in

Walt_NC
11-10-2012, 10:58
I wonder how it can be set up. We just need a place to make a database.

You should get right on that. I hear that the intertubes are almost full. Your idea would work even better as an organizational social network if you made it an interactive site. Have features that would allow for both private and public messaging. Oh, and another that allows individual users the ability to 'check in' as they move from location to another.

Most important is keeping your roster of participants organized. I suggest displaying each persons name and a picture of their face in a 'book-style' format.

But....what should you call this 'book of faces'?!

M&P15T
11-10-2012, 11:03
There is a little; "Red Dawn" angle to this that I really like.

Someone cleve the details.

Dallas Texas here as well.

Red Dawn, CIA, and other stuff the imagination can drum-up.:rofl::rofl:

"I need a safe-house before this OP, better use my GT life-line!":supergrin:

Ruble Noon
11-10-2012, 11:16
Here is a thought. We are spread all over the U.S.A. What if, when we travel to a local area and we have trouble. Wouldn't it be nice to send a SOS out and see if someone is in the area to help?

Not sure how we can set it up. A data base of contact info with locations I guess. I would be willing to help someone who was in need passing thru my area. I know others would as well.

So, for example. I live in Canton Michigan. Someone having trouble near there would be able to contact me for help. Because, really. We are an extended family of sorts.

Thoughts?

Bikers used to and may still have a network like this.

airmotive
11-10-2012, 11:35
The classifieds section sorta has this ability built in. Youy can enter your zip code and it will list ads based on distance from you (if the seller entered his zip zode when he created his ad).

JMS
11-10-2012, 11:43
I've fallen and I can't get up.

00Glazz
11-10-2012, 13:54
I belong to a national motorcycle forum. It has a similar thing going and it does well. I's a listing of individuals, basically bike owners, with equipment, tools and a willingness to help fellow bikers who have the misfortune to have a break down. Look up a member close to you, give them a call and if at all possible he will be out to help. Appears to work. I was holding back on joining until I bought a bike suitable trailer so I really had something to offer.

Don't suppose you're in GWRR are you?? Also, Wooster, OH here.

nikerret
11-10-2012, 14:11
I woud like to see this work, but it goes against the GT way. If people can find us, they will know where we are. Of course, I don't have to worry about anyone calling me, other than fellow LEO's; waht if I had my hat on???

Feel free to conact me, if you're around, no promises or gaurantees.

Angry Fist
11-10-2012, 14:16
Mid MO here, only if your wife is hawt, tho.

J/K! :tongueout:

G-34
11-10-2012, 14:32
Minot ND here :wavey: