How Many SCOTUS Judges Do You Think The Great One Will Appoint? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : How Many SCOTUS Judges Do You Think The Great One Will Appoint?

Carrys
11-08-2012, 17:36
This will take a hundred years or more to fix.

Don't know if we'll survive that long. I suppose all the free milk drinkers believe they simply have to plant another milk cow seed when things get low, ya think?

This event, along with others over the decades has certainly changed our Country.

Good or bad, guess that depends on just who one speaks to, eh?

But changed it is, for a long, long time.

janice6
11-08-2012, 17:38
At least two. That's all it will take to turn us into England.

Dragoon189
11-08-2012, 17:40
Too many. Already 2 too many

*ASH*
11-08-2012, 17:41
doomed !!!

Dennis in MA
11-08-2012, 17:43
Wait. If he replaces two liberals with two liberals, how does that change things? Shouldn't we hand wring on Bush appointees? And Reagan/Bush appointees???

Henry's Dad
11-08-2012, 17:55
Roberts-safe
Alito-safe
Scalia-getting old, but he'll die on the court before he resigns
Thomas-getting up there, but I don't see him resigning, esp now that BHO is in for 4 more years

Kennedy-loves the importance of the job too much to leave, especially now that O'Conner is gone and he is the swing vote

Kagan-safe
Sotomayor-safe
Breyer-like Kennedy, loves the work; won't quit
Ginsburg-health issues, most likely to resign

Unless nature intervenes, radical shifts due to retirements are unlikely in the near future. No big deal if all he gets to replace is Ginsburg.

And nominees still have to get through the Senate. In 2014, the GOP may regain the majority (not uncommon in off-year elections). In the meantime, Dems do not have a filibuster-proof (60 vote) majority.

captcurly
11-08-2012, 18:26
I would say two will be the number. I do believe that even one would be very bad. A lot of folks who voted did not even thing about this topic. All I know is that I have the ammo and hardware to be able to protect myself and home. He can ban anything he wants but I GOT MINE.

jp3975
11-08-2012, 18:42
The good news is that he will probably only be able to replace liberal justices.

It sure would have been nice to replace Ginsburg with a conservative.

Bad news is all his appointments will be there a while.

meathead19
11-08-2012, 18:50
Wait. If he replaces two liberals with two liberals, how does that change things? Shouldn't we hand wring on Bush appointees? And Reagan/Bush appointees???

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

No.

Grabbrass
11-08-2012, 20:41
Scalia is 76. Kennedy is 76.

Magnus2131
11-08-2012, 20:52
These people that keep saying nothing to worry about have their head buried in the sand and have short memories.

PAGunner
11-08-2012, 21:00
Most likely just Ginsberg, hopefully that is all. Anything can happen, but I'm not going to lose sleep over what may happen.

CAcop
11-08-2012, 21:39
Roberts-safe
Alito-safe
Thomas-getting up there, but I don't see him resigning, esp now that BHO is in for 4 more years

Kennedy-loves the importance of the job too much to leave, especially now that O'Conner is gone and he is the swing vote

Kagan-safe
Sotomayor-safe

Unless nature intervenes, radical shifts due to retirements are unlikely in the near future. No big deal if all he gets to replace is Ginsburg.

And nominees still have to get through the Senate. In 2014, the GOP may regain the majority (not uncommon in off-year elections). In the meantime, Dems do not have a filibuster-proof (60 vote) majority.

Pretty good analysis. Ginsberg was probably waiting until this election. She may go before their next session, but my money is on her doing one, maybe two more sessions then punching out.

CAcop
11-08-2012, 21:43
Scalia is 76. Kennedy is 76.

While they could decide to go Supremes saty for a long time. They essentially have a part time job, where they get to do what they love, argue the finer points of the law. They could do that in law school but it would get boring fast. How many times could you teach Miranda or Marbury to kids wanting to get their license to steal before going bonkers?

Grabbrass
11-08-2012, 22:13
While they could decide to go Supremes saty for a long time. They essentially have a part time job, where they get to do what they love, argue the finer points of the law. They could do that in law school but it would get boring fast. How many times could you teach Miranda or Marbury to kids wanting to get their license to steal before going bonkers?

My concern is not that Scalia or Kennedy may "decide to go." They're both 76 years old. Yes, they have the best healthcare in the world and I'm sure their health is monitored such that their lifespans are reasonably maximized. But for some folks, that means 76, or even less. Genetics is a b****. All I'm saying is you can't count on anyone on the Court, particularly those of advanced years, surviving the next 4 years. Obama will surely get to replace one liberal justice, maybe two. But there's no guarantee the conservative justices (or Kennedy :whistling: ) will still be there at the end of 2016. There is cause for concern.

Andy W
11-09-2012, 02:10
Ginsburg is gonna be the next one Obama will have to replace unless something unpredictable happens ie one of them dropping dead of a stroke or heart attack. Or maybe Alito or Roberts resign to run for President. The latter one would be really interesting. Supreme Court justices have resigned to run for president but not recently.

frizz
11-09-2012, 02:22
I would say two will be the number. I do believe that even one would be very bad. A lot of folks who voted did not even thing about this topic. All I know is that I have the ammo and hardware to be able to protect myself and home. He can ban anything he wants but I GOT MINE.
Until a goon squad comes to get it.

frizz
11-09-2012, 02:23
Most likely just Ginsberg, hopefully that is all. Anything can happen, but I'm not going to lose sleep over what may happen.

And why lose sleep then? Nothing you can do about it.

Fear Night
11-09-2012, 05:26
With Chief Justice Roberts giving the nod to Obamacare, I don't think we are safe even with our current justice distribution anymore.

JFrame
11-09-2012, 05:30
My concern would be with Kennedy. He evidently told close associates back in 2010 that he was contemplating retirement, but that he would sit pat until the 2012 election (presumably in order to maintain the balance in the SCOTUS).

Andy W
11-09-2012, 09:27
I just hope he doesn't appoint someone like Cass Sunstein. That guy has said and written some weird ****.

JFrame
11-09-2012, 09:29
I just hope he doesn't appoint someone like Cass Sunstein. That guy has said and written some weird ****.

Funny you would mention him -- Sunstein has always been referenced as being on the "short list" of Obama SCOTUS nominees...

certifiedfunds
11-09-2012, 09:31
Roberts-safe
Alito-safe

Kagan-safe
Sotomayor-safe

The court is obviously very political. They plan their exits based on a political agenda.

Andy W
11-09-2012, 17:16
Funny you would mention him -- Sunstein has always been referenced as being on the "short list" of Obama SCOTUS nominees...

I knew his name would probably be up there on the list. And I do not want him to be on the Court. Look at some of his writings.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

JFrame
11-09-2012, 18:18
I knew his name would probably be up there on the list. And I do not want him to be on the Court. Look at some of his writings.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

I'm sure it's disturbingly bizarre...

I only know of some of his opinions in summary. His idea that animals should be given all the civil rights of humans, including legal counsel, is pretty out there...

mike from st pe
11-09-2012, 20:29
At the very least FOUR :wow:
Two liberal judges will retire and one conservative will die and another will retire. The American way is DOA. :steamed: