Random credit card question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Random credit card question

malleable
11-08-2012, 18:53
I'm in my 50's and never in my life have I been asked to see my signature on the back of a credit card, have you?

11-08-2012, 19:01
Yes, I have.

Hef
11-08-2012, 19:07
Yes, I have, and I thank them for asking.

686Owner
11-08-2012, 19:15
Yes. Many places it doesn't matter though because they can't see the electronic signature anyway to compare.

itstime
11-08-2012, 19:19
Happens often. ID sometImes

Patchman
11-08-2012, 19:21
Over 30 years and never been asked either.

Which is why I always closely examine my monthly statements.

TK-421
11-08-2012, 19:21
I think I've been asked once, but that's it. Never been asked for ID though. My signature rarely matches the one on my card, since I usually just scribble, instead of taking the time to do a proper signature, when it's just receipts. Important stuff I'll do the full signature, but normal purchases I just scribble.

dre23
11-08-2012, 19:22
Technically against the rules, but I write check ID on back with a sharpie. Some ask some don't.

janice6
11-08-2012, 19:25
I have been asked. I even had a purchase delayed on one, until I signed it.

Never Nervous
11-08-2012, 19:36
I have ASK FOR ID on the back of all my cards. i get asked often. Don't mind at all.

NN

Csv
11-08-2012, 19:36
Some places I have to show card and ID. Others just sign and go

jjslice
11-08-2012, 19:38
USPS seems to be the most anal about it. At least the one nearest me anyways.

hamster
11-08-2012, 19:40
False sense of security.

Z71bill
11-08-2012, 19:50
I had a guy at Conn's (low rent Best-Buy type store) want to take a photo copy of my drivers license & CC to make a $200 purchase.

I told him he could see my DL if he wanted to - but could not make any copies.

He said he could not accept my card.

I left.

I will guess in the 3 years before this situation I had made at least a dozen purchases - all on a CC - never any problem.

A lot of times it was just small stuff - printer ink, paper, a cable - but had purchased a few thousand dollars worth of stuff from them - using the exact same card a few months before and they didn't even ask to see my ID.

I have not been back since and will never shop there again.

nikerret
11-08-2012, 19:51
I have been asked, but prefer to just swipe and go. I like how many places don't requie signatures for amounts under a specified number.

Recently, someone used my AMEX to buy about $1500 worth of stuff from three online stores. AMEX was quick to put an end to it and resolve the issue. They didn't get my number from my plastic card.

MAC702
11-08-2012, 19:52
delete

czsmithGT
11-08-2012, 19:52
I'm in my 50's and never in my life have I been asked to see my signature on the back of a credit card, have you?

No never

MAC702
11-08-2012, 19:54
I had a guy at Conn's (low rent Best-Buy type store) want to take a photo copy of my drivers license & CC to make a $200 purchase.

I left.

I will guess in the 3 years before this situation I had made at least a dozen purchases - all on a CC - never any problem.

A lot of times it was just small stuff - printer ink, paper, a cable - but had purchased a few thousand dollars worth of stuff from them - using the exact same card a few months before and they didn't even ask to see my ID.

You can ask that they call the credit card company right there from the register. That will resolve it.

But yes, it seems clear that they didn't deserve your business anyway, however the credit card company would sure like to know who is violating their terms of use.

sappy13
11-08-2012, 20:10
Not on my personal cards, but on my word credit card iv been told i need a signature.

Glockdude1
11-08-2012, 20:12
Never signed any of my cards, never been asked to sign any of my cards.

:dunno:

DoubleWide
11-08-2012, 20:15
Yes, I have. It just depends on the person, you can not sign it, write ask for id, etc. It doesn't matter.

RenoF250
11-08-2012, 20:22
I have "See ID" on the back and I have been asked many times to see my ID.

I don't really care, I use Discover for most of my purchases and their policy is "if you did not buy it you are not responsible." They have followed through on that a few times as well.

USMCsilver
11-08-2012, 20:36
Technically against the rules, but I write check ID on back with a sharpie. Some ask some don't.

I write: "See I.D."

I've been asked at the drive-thru before. Figured that was odd...

Meanie5470
11-08-2012, 20:45
Never in NJ. Every time in FL. When I was living FL I got a new credit card and forgot to sign it at first. Every time I bought something they would ask me for ID but wouldnt tell me why. I didnt really ask, I just gave it to them and carried on. Like 2 months and prob 100 cashiers later I realize I never signed the card. I signed it and never got asked for ID again.

nursetim
11-08-2012, 21:45
I usually put see ID on the back. An anal retentive clerk at the post office got snotty about it and refused it. They have the right to refuse it as it is not legal tender so off I went. I avoided the pera from that point on.

dre23
11-08-2012, 21:51
I usually put see ID on the back. An anal retentive clerk at the post office got snotty about it and refused it. They have the right to refuse it as it is not legal tender so off I went. I avoided the pera from that point on.

I do the same and had the post office give me grief also. What is worse they have done it on a debit card that required me to enter my PIN go figure. Sorry but my DL should trump my signature. I seriously doubt they are hand writing analysis experts :supergrin:

droidfire
11-08-2012, 22:18

I left.

Identity theft is the only thing I can come up with for this. Bestbuy definitely has no interest in exposing themselves to the liability storing that documentation would bring. Walking away was a very prudent decision.

I would have made an issue and gotten them to get a manager. By the time a manager got there I would have best buy corporate on the line on my cell and it would have been figured out right there.

larry_minn
11-08-2012, 22:26
I always put. "Please check Drivers Lic" Then I THANK clerks who ask.

czsmithGT
11-08-2012, 22:46
Why is it that in 40 years no one has ever asked to see the sig on my credit card. Photo ID a few times but sig on credit card never. Is it a regional thing?

goldenlight
11-09-2012, 04:12
Yes, I have, and I thank them for asking.

I LIKE it when they ask for ID when I use a credit card. It's very rare, though.

I always thank them, too.

frizz
11-09-2012, 04:19
I have "See ID" on the back and I have been asked many times to see my ID.

I don't really care, I use Discover for most of my purchases and their policy is "if you did not buy it you are not responsible." They have followed through on that a few times as well.
This is the law. Discover isn't doing anything special.

frizz
11-09-2012, 04:23
WalMart requires ID for CC purchases over $100. At least all of the ones in my area do.

EDIT/ADD:

I have seen cashiers compare my receipt's signature with my card's signature, but since almost all transactions are swiped, I can't recall having a clerk ask for my card to look at my signature.

eruby
11-09-2012, 04:59
Asked every now and then.

southernshooter
11-09-2012, 05:08
When somebody steals a c.c. they try it at a pay at the pump gas station where no ID is ever asked for.

eruby
11-09-2012, 05:11
When somebody steals a c.c. they try it at a pay at the pump gas station where no ID is ever asked for.Lately, a lot of pumps are having me enter my zip code. Annoying, but it could deter some gas station thefts of stolenn credit cards.

MAC702
11-09-2012, 23:25
FYI, it is a violation of the credit card agreement not to sign your card.

It is also a violation of the credit card agreement for the merchant to require your ID.

That is the purpose of a credit card. Compare a signature, and move on. But merchants are lazy, and don't like to do that. And people think they are more secure if ID gets checked. You are not responsible for credit card fraud. And all of my instances of being the victim of it had nothing to do with a point-of-sale at a merchant's register.

Regardless of what you like, those who agree to the ID thing are contributing to the society that expects us all to walk around with ID on us.

686Owner
11-10-2012, 06:26
FYI, it is a violation of the credit card agreement not to sign your card.

It is also a violation of the credit card agreement for the merchant to require your ID.

That is the purpose of a credit card. Compare a signature, and move on. But merchants are lazy, and don't like to do that. And people think they are more secure if ID gets checked. You are not responsible for credit card fraud. And all of my instances of being the victim of it had nothing to do with a point-of-sale at a merchant's register.

Regardless of what you like, those who agree to the ID thing are contributing to the society that expects us all to walk around with ID on us.

They may say they don't require ID,but they will ask for it when you call for a voice authorization, so there are obviously exceptions.

MAC702
11-10-2012, 10:07
They may say they don't require ID,but they will ask for it when you call for a voice authorization, so there are obviously exceptions.

I'm not familiar with that process. So I looked it up. This makes it appear that you aren't the one who calls for it, and that no ID would be necessary for one.

But this is just the one thing I read to see what you were describing.

http://www.cardpaymentoptions.com/merchant-account-glossary/voice-authorization/

czsmithGT
11-10-2012, 10:24

I think that is true for Visa and Mastercard but not for Discover. Amex is a bit nebulous on the issue

czsmithGT
11-10-2012, 10:33
Lately, a lot of pumps are having me enter my zip code. Annoying, but it could deter some gas station thefts of stolenn credit cards.

I've had a lot of pumps require this when I use my card out of my area. The strange one to me are the pumps that have you enter the last 4 digits of your card. Are there ways for thieves to get cards with your info on the magnetic strip but yet not know the card number? Why else would they make you enter the last 4 digits of the card number you just swiped?