Time to order primers and powder before they go out of stock everywhere? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Time to order primers and powder before they go out of stock everywhere?

njl
11-08-2012, 20:17
again?

Just wondering, how long before the panic buying clears the shelves at Powder Valley, Grafs, etc.

I'm thinking of trying some Federal primers. CCI's been my brand...but they have Federal SP on sale (and in stock). Opinions?

And if I'm going to order primers, might as well throw in a few jugs of powders to get the most out of the hazmat. Stick with H335 for .223 (for my ARs) or try CFE223?

F106 Fan
11-08-2012, 21:53
Better get what you can! Powder Valley has been out of small pistol primers in every brand except Tula.

I'm not too impressed with Tula but I might decide to buy some SPP just because. I have no idea how long the shelves will be bare.

Richard

JLM63
11-09-2012, 04:11
Small pistol has been spotty in my area for a couple of months. I can't afford to buy a lot at once, but I've been buying a little of something at paydays for a year now.

dukeguy
11-09-2012, 05:39
I ended up buying Fed SP Magnum primers. Adjusted my load a little bit and they seem to work just fine. I also bought 1k of the Tula just to try them out. So far they go bang just like the Federals.

shotgunred
11-09-2012, 06:06
If your not stocked up already its probably to late.

njl
11-09-2012, 07:55
I'm stocked up...but there's room for more.

brisk21
11-09-2012, 08:17
http://www.gamaliel.com/

I just ordered some primers and powder from here.

F106 Fan
11-09-2012, 08:17
It's kind of silly, I suppose, but I just ordered 5k each of Tula SP and LP primers. I have more than 5k each of those primers in Federal but who knows when I will be able to get Federal SP again.

So, when I make my next batch of ammo, I'll use up the Tula first, saving the Federal for later on.

It doesn't take many line items to hit $400 at Powder Valley :rofl:

Richard

njl
11-09-2012, 09:06
It doesn't take many line items to hit $400 at Powder Valley :rofl:

Richard

Tell me about it. I just spent more than double that at grafs.
3 different powders (8lb each), and 17k primers. Ouch.

On the bright side, I think I just about maxed out what they can put on a single hazmat.

dla
11-09-2012, 09:29
again?

Just wondering, how long before the panic buying clears the shelves at Powder Valley, Grafs, etc.

I'm thinking of trying some Federal primers. CCI's been my brand...but they have Federal SP on sale (and in stock). Opinions?

And if I'm going to order primers, might as well throw in a few jugs of powders to get the most out of the hazmat. Stick with H335 for .223 (for my ARs) or try CFE223?
Self-fulfilling prophecy.

You guys are silly.

F106 Fan
11-09-2012, 09:55
Self-fulfilling prophecy.

You guys are silly.

It was fulfilling for somebody! Powder Valley has been out of quality small pistol primers for quite a while. Winchester, Remington, Federal and CCI are simply not available. There may be a store here and there that still has some but the big sellers are all out of stock.

I suspect the problem will resolve itself. It always has, later than sooner.

But here in California, we just barely dodged a bullet (so to speak) on outlawing Internet purchases of ammo and components in the last Legislative session. Now that no Republican vote in the Legislature is required to pass anything, that law will be back and passed by the veto-proof Democrat majority. No doubt about it! We will be out of the Internet purchase business in the VERY NEAR FUTURE.

It gets down to buying what you can, when you can and hoping against logic that things will work out.

Richard

ron59
11-09-2012, 10:26
Better get what you can! Powder Valley has been out of small pistol primers in every brand except Tula.

I'm not too impressed with Tula but I might decide to buy some SPP just because. I have no idea how long the shelves will be bare.

Richard

??

They have Federal small MAGNUM primers available right now. During the last primer "crunch" of 2009, I loaded probably 30,000 of these, either Federal or CCI in my 9mm ammo. There are plenty of threads on here about it.

Yes, you do need to "rework" your loads, and it might not be the best choice when working with *max* loads.... but if you're dealing with middle of the road loads, you're gonna be fine.

They're only $26 per 1000 too, that's cheaper than the last time I bought any Federals. Buy 20,000, and be good for awhile.

Plus, I'd rather have a quality primer like Federal over a **** primer like Tula.

emb111
11-09-2012, 10:27
I learned my lesson the last time around. It won't happen again. I will always stay stocked up.

F106 Fan
11-09-2012, 10:45
??

They have Federal small MAGNUM primers available right now. During the last primer "crunch" of 2009, I loaded probably 30,000 of these, either Federal or CCI in my 9mm ammo. There are plenty of threads on here about it.

Yup! And I have seen photos of a breech pretty badly eroded from using the wrong primer.

I am not going down this road until I have to.

Buy 20,000, and be good for awhile.

Plus, I'd rather have a quality primer like Federal over a **** primer like Tula.

I have over 40,000 primers on hand plus somewhere around 50# of powder and 20,000 bullets. I need some more bullets! I've got a couple of thousand in transit but I could use another 10k of .45 200 gr LSWC. And maybe another 2k of Sierra .308 175 gr BTHP. Right after Christmas I'll get busy stocking up on these items.

What I have may need to last the rest of my life. I certainly won't be able to order over the Internet much longer and my one and only LGS wants over $40/k for primers right now; before they are the only game around. This is not going to be pretty.

Richard

shotgunred
11-09-2012, 12:44
I learned my lesson time I keep several years worth in stock.

I also have used several K of magnum primers with no problems.

fredj338
11-09-2012, 13:21
Yeah, I am ordering backup stock for my backup stock. Who knows what this moron & his minions are going to do 2nd term. I see a flurry of quiet exec orders coming along.
Regardless, components are not getting cheaper going forward. The devaluation of the US $$ is making everything form milk to gass to ammo more expensive. Think of it as an investment to buy now. I recently finished off some primers bought in 91-92, $9.95 retail.

Kwesi
11-09-2012, 13:52
What is the verdict on S&B SPP's? With the name brands most of us favor being out of stock are there any relatively unknowns that are a good score IF found?

F106 Fan
11-09-2012, 14:20
I complain about the Tula primers and how they sometimes (2 or 3 out of 500) drag in the primer disk on my 650 but they have always gone bang and, really, that's about all I expect when I am loading bulk .223 for my AR-15.

I am going to be working up a .40 S&W load for a pair of Sig P229s so I guess I will just start out using the Tula primers. The bullets are going into cardboard, so how good do the loads have to be?

If you can't get anything else and you want to stay with non-magnum primers, why not get 1000 Tula primers with your next bulk order and try them out.

Or, you can just order 5000 each of SP and LP. No testing, no evaluation, just order the things! I did...

Richard

fredj338
11-09-2012, 14:24
What is the verdict on S&B SPP's? With the name brands most of us favor being out of stock are there any relatively unknowns that are a good score IF found?

I have had good luck w/ S&B SR & LP, I would give the SP a try.:wavey:

Kwesi
11-09-2012, 14:44

Thanks Fred. How about Fiocchi SPP? Same price as S&B in bulk.

SARDG
11-09-2012, 14:52
...I need some more bullets! I've got a couple of thousand in transit but I could use another 10k of .45 200 gr LSWC. And maybe another 2k of Sierra .308 175 gr BTHP...

Richard
My MG 147 CMJ case of 3000 went up $10 - practically overnight. Probably over Tuesday night. :upeyes:

njl
11-09-2012, 15:00
Are you close enough to any of the borders to setup a mailbox in a neighboring state and get your supplies delivered there?

DoctaGlockta
11-09-2012, 15:21
Ah crap!

I have more components than I probably will ever shoot. Now you guys have me looking at Grafs, MBC and other places.

Thanks a lot guys.

Kwesi
11-09-2012, 15:39
Anybody ever tried Fiocchi SPP'S?

F106 Fan
11-09-2012, 16:00
Are you close enough to any of the borders to setup a mailbox in a neighboring state and get your supplies delivered there?

It's less than 200 miles to Reno, NV.

Sometimes impassable in the winter but I have enough stock to get me through.

I guess I could order a box at one of those postal stores. They accept UPS shipments.

Richard

Kwesi
11-09-2012, 16:10
Since I posted about Fiocchi SPP's they raised the price $30!

michael e
11-09-2012, 16:20
Got my stock up in march/April.
I check few places all the time and never have issue with stock.
If you have Facebook several of these company's post info about shipments before website is updated.

SJ 40
11-09-2012, 16:28
Anybody ever tried Fiocchi SPP'S?While I haven't used their SPP the last primer shortage I switched to their 209 shotgun primers,supply was great and price was good also.
I now prefer them over the domestic 209's in my shotgun loads.
SJ 40

SC_Dave
11-09-2012, 17:39
I had to settle on Federal Match spp in order to get any at all. Thanks a lot obama! You moron!

njl
11-09-2012, 18:34
200 miles is a pretty good trip, but if you could do it once or twice a year, it might be better than nothing.

F106 Fan
11-09-2012, 18:39
I would have to see if they would receive and hold ORM-D materials.

I'm not going to get ahead of myself. I have enough inventory to last for quite a while.

Richard

OldLincoln
11-09-2012, 18:42
How long will primers & powder in the box/con last in inside closet storage 68-80*? I've bought them at a local supplier as needed but now you have me thinking about that.

SARDG
11-09-2012, 19:06
How long will primers & powder in the box/con last in inside closet storage 68-80*?
At least four years I hope. :supergrin:

SJ 40
11-09-2012, 19:09
How long will primers & powder in the box/con last in inside closet storage 68-80*? I've bought them at a local supplier as needed but now you have me thinking about that.Store in a cool,dry location out of direct sunlight,your primers the same in say a GI 50 ammo box and your grandkids can use them,quite a spell. SJ 40

OldLincoln
11-09-2012, 19:36
Thanks. I store them in a homemade powder box concrete lined inside and out with a pressure venting system. The concrete should keep everything very dry with it all being inside the house. I don't reload a lot, but in recently reading the "Ashes" series of books I'm a bit jumpy in my old age.

RYT 2BER
11-09-2012, 20:14
Just bought CCI small pistol primers on grafs 1 minute ago... At this moment they have them in 1000 count boxes.

greenlion
11-09-2012, 20:29
Y'all run out and buy out all the stock you can, so you can cause the very thing you are trying to stockpile against.

shotgunred
11-09-2012, 21:33
Its all most funny:rofl:. Being the run is on small pistol primers when in all likelihood they will go after "military style rifles" not pistols.

fredj338
11-09-2012, 22:47
How long will primers & powder in the box/con last in inside closet storage 68-80*? I've bought them at a local supplier as needed but now you have me thinking about that.
Decades. It's why there is no down side to buy in bulk & save $$. Buying now means you'll pay less later, maybe much less. I just did a check of my stock of primers, I am fine for a few years but then one never knows. BTW, CCI primers in 08 were $23/K delivered if you bought 20K.

fredj338
11-09-2012, 22:53
Its all most funny:rofl:. Being the run is on small pistol primers when in all likelihood they will go after "military style rifles" not pistols.
True, but once they start, handguns are next.
Reality, they aren't going to be able to ban anything because of recent 2A rulings, at least for now. What they can do & w/o Congress, is tax/regulate the crap out ammo & components.
Chicago is running the model as I type this, a 5c/rd tax on handgun ammo. Once such a tax system is in place, raising it to $1/rd is not impossible. Then there are guys like Schummer that have been pushing a lic for anyone owning more than 1000rds of ammo or more than 1 handgun. this stuff isn't new boys & girls, just waiting for the right king like individual to write the exec orders.
So some will call it panic & some will call it proper planning. I am sure the folks w/ nothing back east wish they would have listened to the storm warnings & gotten prepared or maybe buying a generator & water purifier, extra food & fuel would have been panicing???:dunno:

F106 Fan
11-09-2012, 23:27
Y'all run out and buy out all the stock you can, so you can cause the very thing you are trying to stockpile against.

So, what's the alternative?

I don't like investing in component futures, stuff I won't need for years, but nobody can guarantee that on, say, March 3d next year, primers will be in stock.

Primers are kind of fundamental to reloading. No primers, no reloads. Then what? Buy ammo at Wally World?

Richard

fredj338
11-10-2012, 01:16
So, what's the alternative?

I don't like investing in component futures, stuff I won't need for years, but nobody can guarantee that on, say, March 3d next year, primers will be in stock.

Primers are kind of fundamental to reloading. No primers, no reloads. Then what? Buy ammo at Wally World?

Richard

Seriously! I was caught short at a state match last month, went to Wally to buy a box of 45acp. $20/50rds, ouch. Primers last almost forever, so buying now @ say $25/K will be a bargain in 4 more years of $$ devaluation & regulatory costs.:upeyes:

DustyJacket
11-10-2012, 01:16
Yup! And I have seen photos of a breech pretty badly eroded from using the wrong primer.

How is using Magnum primer vs a regular primer going to erode the breech face?

F106 Fan
11-10-2012, 06:49
How is using Magnum primer vs a regular primer going to erode the breech face?

I don't know. Somewhere here on GT, perhaps this forum(?) there were photos posted of an eroded breech face caused by using incorrect primers. I don't recall the details - perhaps they were rifle primers?

I realize that some folks are happy using primers in other than intended applications. OK, no problem! But I'm not one of them. I'm pretty sure the loading manuals caution against that sort of thing.

Besides, I'm not deperate enough to bother with misapplying primers. I have enough to get by for a fairly long time.

One off-the-wall thought: Perhaps the cup wall thickness of magnum primers is more than that of standard primers. This makes sense because magnum primers would see more pressure. If so, perhaps magnum primers don't seal against the primer pocket as well when subjected to low pressure loads. Maybe the hot gas could blow back around the edge of the primer pocket.

Try them and find out. There is certainly plenty of anecdotal evidence that they work fine.

Richard

tnpatriot
11-10-2012, 08:10
Stop the panic ! You are the people that cause the shortage. The ammo and commponent mfg. companies are not going out of business.:dunno:

F106 Fan
11-10-2012, 08:27
They might as well be out of business, Powder Valley hasn't had SPP in quite a while.

What you are recommending is that we not buy what is available, hoping that nobody else buys it and, somehow, this will cause PV to have inventory. Which we would then buy...

It's not a matter of panic. There is no way to know when primers will be back in stock. I don't remember how long the shortage went on after the last election but I think it was well over a year. Happens every time a Democrat is elected and with a lame duck President, who knows what will happen? It's not like he has to worry about being re-elected.

I haven't bought hundreds of thousands of primers - it might have been a good idea but I simply don't have the money. But I have bought enough to get by for a while.

So far, the .45 ACP is safe as long as you're not loading small primer .45s. That's good because the only round I really care about is .45 ACP. I can get along without 9mm and 40 S&W.

Richard

shotgunred
11-10-2012, 08:40
Maybe the answer is to buy a 45 or a 10mm so that you can use large pistol primers.

Hmm an excuse to buy a new gun.

SARDG
11-10-2012, 09:48
Maybe the answer is to buy a 45 or a 10mm so that you can use large pistol primers.

Hmm an excuse to buy a new gun.
Glad I have a 10mil on order. :supergrin:

dkf
11-10-2012, 11:38
I went out and purchased some powder and primers at my local shop. Both the primers and powder went up from last time. Only bought 1k primers and a pound of PP.(I don't have the extra cash to buy big lots and refuse to use credit for it)

1lb PP - $15.95 (was 14.95)
1k CCI SPP - $32.95 (was $29.95)

Still plenty of powder and primers left there.

Kwesi
11-10-2012, 11:51
I went out and purchased some powder and primers at my local shop. Both the primers and powder went up from last time. Only bought 1k primers and a pound of PP.(I don't have the extra cash to buy big lots and refuse to use credit for it)

1lb PP - $15.95 (was 14.95)
1k CCI SPP - $32.95 (was $29.95)

Still plenty of powder and primers left there.

That is a great price on PP. I purchase it in the 4# jug at $54-60 online at PV or Grafs. You did good!

Kwesi
11-10-2012, 11:54

On your recommendation I picked up 5K of S&B SPP and 2.5K of their LPP (split a brick with a friend) for $109.95/5K.

dkf
11-10-2012, 11:54
Sometime I have to price a 4lb or 8lb jug. They stock the 1lb but can get the larger ones in next day from their supplier. I am fortunate to have some good shops with good prices in my area.

njl
11-10-2012, 14:34
I'll be trying them. When putting in the order, I was in a hurry and assumed FC = Federal, and thought "well, they say Federal are softer/more sensitive, but I'll give 'em a try". I was just browsing grafs again, and realized FC = Fiocchi. I did some quick searching and haven't found anyone saying anything bad about them...but not much about them at all.

norton
11-10-2012, 14:35
I just ordered 5K of Winchester large pistol primers. I normally buy this brand from my local dealer in 1K lots, but the last OBammer election saw his shelves cleared out with no primers to be found.

Kwesi
11-10-2012, 14:38
I'll be trying them. When putting in the order, I was in a hurry and assumed FC = Federal, and thought "well, they say Federal are softer/more sensitive, but I'll give 'em a try". I was just browsing grafs again, and realized FC = Fiocchi. I did some quick searching and haven't found anyone saying anything bad about them...but not much about them at all.

I was going to split their 12K brick only because I've shot their ammo and have been very pleased. But when Grafs jumped the price shortly after I found it from $259.99 to $289.99 I passed and went with S&B.

fredj338
11-10-2012, 15:54
On your recommendation I picked up 5K of S&B SPP and 2.5K of their LPP (split a brick with a friend) for $109.95/5K.

They should be fine, as I said, not used their SP, but SR & LP, I am happy so far. I was thinking of getting some SP from Graf's, great price, but I am sitting on a substantial amount of SP now & I shoot them rarely, mostly a 45acp/magnum rev guy.:wavey:
After doing an inventory, I am really quite good on primers. I did order some surplus powder for my AR though, who knows going forward. Now if my 223 bullet swaging dies will just come in, I need a winter project.

OldLincoln
11-10-2012, 16:09
Now you have me thinking big. If I close out my looser IRA and invested $10,000 in Primers & Powder growing at only 10% a year it would be worth over $25,000. Beats the heck out of anything else I seen recently.

Little Joe
11-14-2012, 23:01
But here in California, we just barely dodged a bullet (so to speak) on outlawing Internet purchases of ammo and components in the last Legislative session. Now that no Republican vote in the Legislature is required to pass anything, that law will be back and passed by the veto-proof Democrat majority. No doubt about it! We will be out of the Internet purchase business in the VERY NEAR FUTURE.

It gets down to buying what you can, when you can and hoping against logic that things will work out.

Richard

Jerry Brown vetoed that bill. The Republicans had nothing to do with its stoppage.

F106 Fan
11-15-2012, 07:34
Jerry Brown vetoed that bill. The Republicans had nothing to do with its stoppage.

There must have been a tradeoff somewhere. Jerry Brown has never favored gun ownership although, apparently, he owns two. OTOH, he isn't a rabid anti-gunner either.

It isn't the Governor I am worried about. The legislature is also veto-proof. With or without the Governor, they can pass anything they want!

That bill will be back and, this time, I think it will become law.

We'll see...

Richard

Kentguy
11-15-2012, 10:34
Primer Update report:

I just came back from my favorite (local) gun/reloading supply store and their shelves were PACKED with bullets, powder and primers! This is a very large store and they told me that although sales have been up in the last several months, they have had no problem keeping up with the demand.

Couldn't resist picking up just a few "K" of my favorite primes... while I just happened to be in the store. :whistling: