Let's not kid ourselves regarding this election... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Let's not kid ourselves regarding this election...

Detectorist
11-08-2012, 20:25
It was not about 'issues'. It was about feelings, perceptions, and the cult of personality.

We had the same with Ronald Reagan. Some folks worship him. He was a good leader. Very influential. However, we gave him a pass on amnesty for Illegals and other issues, didn't we?

The other day i had the pleasure of chatting with a hot young waitress, maybe 23ish. She told me she was voting for Obama because he didn't seem 'mean' like Romney did. I also asked her what she thought about his policy regarding immigration. She said it didn't matter. All that mattered was the way she 'felt' about the candidates.....

Sigh....

Annoyedgrunt
11-08-2012, 20:29
The other day i had the pleasure of chatting with a hot young waitress, maybe 23ish. She told me she was voting for Obama because he didn't seem 'mean' like Romney did. I also asked her what she thought about his policy regarding immigration. She said it didn't matter. All that mattered was the way she 'felt' about the candidates.....

Sigh....

[Peter Griffin voice] You think that's bad? I remember over-hearing some girls say they were voting for Bush in 04 "because he's cute!"

People are stupid.

Detectorist
11-08-2012, 20:43
[Peter Griffin voice] You think that's bad? I remember over-hearing some girls say they were voting for Bush in 04 "because he's cute!"

People are stupid.

Yep, they might as well parade the candidates on stage nakkid and have folks vote from the comfort of their homes...like DWTS.

Sad.

jame
11-08-2012, 21:00
I have to admit, guys, I'm struggling on where I'm supposed to call home now.

I've been accused of being exclusionist. I'm not. I believe in the power of all people to build on their own strength and succeed mightily. And I've been delighted in the past to help others of less means than I to get there.

I've been told I should be ignored because I'm an evangelical Christian. I respect the right of a Muslim man to exercise his faith, and I expect him to be able to practice his faith in any way he chooses. Why can't I do that without being derided?

I've been told that since I don't embrace a homosexual lifestyle, I'm out of touch. The reality is that it's none of my business, and mine should be none of yours.

I've been told that since I own assets, I should be taxed at a higher rate, even though we contribute to churches and other low income assistance organizations, I should be forced to give more to my government.

I've been told that I should welcome the government into my living room, even though I abide by it's laws, and respect the rules of the road.

I don't hate anyone, and I welcome all into the fold of rising up to a level of excellence, but again, I'm told that I'm an exclusionist.

When did we throw away the thought of teaching a man to fish, as opposed to just giving him one?

Where, politically, am I supposed to land?

JMS
11-08-2012, 21:05
Jesus Christ, how many threads about the same thing?! Who knew most gun owners were such whiners? The President isn't the end all and be all, Congress is broken and that's why nothing changes, regardless of who's in charge. If Romney won, things would stay the same as well, don't fool yourself.

11-08-2012, 21:08
This is the age of feelings, not thinking.

Magnus2131
11-08-2012, 21:14
When you have popular culture like the Daily Show to get all your information, you are not going to be the most informed.

jame
11-08-2012, 21:14
This is the age of feelings, not thinking.

Agreed.

frank4570
11-08-2012, 21:26
One of my renters told me she was voting against romney because he wouldn't stay out of her ******.
Fantastic renter, btw.

It was not about 'issues'. It was about feelings, perceptions, and the cult of personality.

We had the same with Ronald Reagan. Some folks worship him. He was a good leader. Very influential. However, we gave him a pass on amnesty for Illegals and other issues, didn't we?

Sigh....

Annhl8rX
11-08-2012, 21:28
There is so much talk about the economy, jobs, foreign policy, and other issues that are important, but those things don't influence elections near as much as people think. Elections these days hinge very few issues.

Stances on gay marriage, gun control, and abortion influence who people vote for much more than any of the other issues I mentioned.

frank4570
11-08-2012, 21:33
And John, yeah, it may have been about specific issues. Gay rights, abortion, hispanics.

Detectorist
11-08-2012, 21:53
And John, yeah, it may have been about specific issues. Gay rights, abortion, hispanics.

That's what the media wants it to be. They were very effective that way.

JMS
11-08-2012, 21:55
That's what the media wants it to be. They were very effective that way.

So you have no problem with government telling gays who they can marry and women what they can do with their bodies, but watch out if they tell you that you can't have a 200 round magazine, right? Once government gets involved it's a slippery slope.

Lesh
11-08-2012, 21:59
One of my renters told me she was voting against romney because he wouldn't stay out of her ******.
Fantastic renter, btw.

That sounds more like Clinton. :tongueout:

Detectorist
11-08-2012, 22:05
That sounds more like Clinton. :tongueout:

:rofl:

11-08-2012, 22:09
So you have no problem with government telling gays who they can marry and women what they can do with their bodies, but watch out if they tell you that you can't have a 200 round magazine, right? Once government gets involved it's a slippery slope.

Why are you worried about .gov involvement in anything when you choose not to vote?

jame
11-08-2012, 22:13
Why are you worried about .gov involvement in anything when you choose not to vote?

He didn't vote?

Good God, no wonder he's complaining about these threads.

droidfire
11-08-2012, 22:40
The ability to vote is a measure of freedom.

People may choose to vote or not.

Who are you to question why someone chooses to cast their ballot a particular way?

What makes you feel good about your president may not be what makes someone else feel good about their president.

Saying someone who cast their ballot based on the physical appeal of the person is foolish is no different then saying someone who voted based on gun issues is foolish.

Beauty, and the absence of has a significant impact on a persons ability to interact with others. Some people ( a lot actually) are petty and vain enough to not want to help someone they find physically distasteful, so visual perceptions are important.

Regardless, no justification is needed for why anyone cast a ballot a particular way.

What are you driving at, trying to disqualify ballots based on how you feel about them?

jame
11-08-2012, 22:49
The ability to vote is a measure of freedom.

People may choose to vote or not.

Who are you to question why someone chooses to cast their ballot a particular way?

What makes you feel good about your president may not be what makes someone else feel good about their president.

Saying someone who cast their ballot based on the physical appeal of the person is foolish is no different then saying someone who voted based on gun issues is foolish.

Beauty, and the absence of has a significant impact on a persons ability to interact with others. Some people ( a lot actually) are petty and vain enough to not want to help someone they find physically distasteful, so visual perceptions are important.

Regardless, no justification is needed for why anyone cast a ballot a particular way.

What are you driving at, trying to disqualify ballots based on how you feel about them?

I'm complaining about people that complain about processes and out comes when they don't participate.

Read the thread in it's entirety. Then you'll understand the reason for my question.

droidfire
11-08-2012, 22:55
I'm complaining about people that complain about processes and out comes when they don't participate.

Read the thread in it's entirety. Then you'll understand the reason for my question.

Yea, i didn't read the thread, still haven't. I got a long day tomorrow and i've just been responding to the original post in the last couple threads I replied to.

Whatever you posted i'll read tomorrow or whenever I can spare time to cruise gt again, sleep aids kicking in.

Drjones
11-08-2012, 23:08
Fantastic renter, btw.

Tell her not to worry, there's no room for Romney in there until she pulls the coat hanger out of herself, along with the bloody, lifeless mass of "women's rights"

airmotive
11-08-2012, 23:35
I have to admit, guys, I'm struggling on where I'm supposed to call home now.

I've been accused of being exclusionist. I'm not. I believe in the power of all people to build on their own strength and succeed mightily. And I've been delighted in the past to help others of less means than I to get there.

I've been told I should be ignored because I'm an evangelical Christian. I respect the right of a Muslim man to exercise his faith, and I expect him to be able to practice his faith in any way he chooses. Why can't I do that without being derided?

I've been told that since I don't embrace a homosexual lifestyle, I'm out of touch. The reality is that it's none of my business, and mine should be none of yours.

I've been told that since I own assets, I should be taxed at a higher rate, even though we contribute to churches and other low income assistance organizations, I should be forced to give more to my government.

I've been told that I should welcome the government into my living room, even though I abide by it's laws, and respect the rules of the road.

I don't hate anyone, and I welcome all into the fold of rising up to a level of excellence, but again, I'm told that I'm an exclusionist.

When did we throw away the thought of teaching a man to fish, as opposed to just giving him one?

Where, politically, am I supposed to land?

I got bad news for you jame...you're a Libertarian.

JMS
11-09-2012, 06:08

Help refresh my memory, which political party believes in less government involvement? The one that tells people who they can marry and what they can do with their bodies or the one that tells people they have to have health care and possible restrict our gun rights?

You've fallen hook line and sinker for the politicians (on both sides of the aisle) dividing and therefore conquering this nation. If the citizenry would open their eyes they would vote out every politician in office to show that WE are the ones in control, instead people are focused more about 'us' vs. 'them' rather than the fact that nothing gets done to better us as a people, no matter who is in charge.

Big business runs government through campaign contributions (i.e. bribery) and lobbyists (i.e. bribery). Yet you fail to see the big picture because you're so focused on the minutia, so vote away and believe in your little head that you're making a difference when the entire system is broken, no matter who wins, until the system changes, nothing else will.

JMS
11-09-2012, 06:10
He didn't vote?

Good God, no wonder he's complaining about these threads.

You voted? No wonder you're complaining when you lost.