A small maybe biased perspective on the military branches. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : A small maybe biased perspective on the military branches.

Ruggles
11-08-2012, 20:30
First just a simple FUN observation, no offense meant!

So today my company took some sandwich trays to the local recruiting offices of all four branches. In celebration of Veterans Day and to show general thanks for all they do.

Just two of us went. We went left to right in the string of offices as we delivered.

First up was the Army. A soldier was in the office alone. He stood and made eye contact as we explained why we were there. He thanked us exchanged hand shakes and a few words. He was polite and seemed like he seemed to really appreciated the food.

Next up the Navy. Two CPOs were in the office. Both were sitting and remained seated during pretty much the same conversation as I had with the Army. I kinda got the feeling they could care less we were there.

Next up the Air Force....well except the office was closed. To be fair it was only 10:30 am so they might have still been in the rack :tongueout:

Last up the Marine Corps. Two Marine were both sitting at desk. One Marine (E6) was speaking to a young man (recruit?) seated at the rear of the room. The other Marine (E5) quickly stood up and stood at parade rest while speaking to us. He used yes sir and thank you sir during our conversation. He seemed really engaged with us. I explained to them that they were getting two trays since the Air Force was not there. I told them that of they wanted they could give it to the Air Force when they got back to the office, the E6 said they would arm wrestle them for the food. :supergrin:

So I was just really impressed with the professionalism of the Marine, just the picture perfect example of a professional military man. Not that the Army was not but honestly the Marines represented themselves the best IMO. I am pretty sure this is the case as the 28 year girl I was with from work who has no military experience commented on it in the car as we drove back.

To be fair I was a Marine and my son is currently in the Air Force, so I might be a bit biased. :wavey:

To be honest I really respect all the branches equally, bless them all :wavey:

Patchman
11-08-2012, 20:35
Maybe it was really the young lady with you that the marine wanted to impress... :whistling:

dakrat
11-08-2012, 20:39
Maybe it was really the young lady with you that the marine wanted to impress... :whistling:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Ruggles
11-08-2012, 20:40

Damni it leave my ego alone!!!! :rofl:

Good point though....

Halojumper
11-08-2012, 20:40
A Marine let his son go into the Air Force? You're a failure as a parent! :) JK, we're thankful for all their service.

Ruggles
11-08-2012, 20:49
A Marine let his son go into the Air Force? You're a failure as a parent! :) JK, we're thankful for all their service.

Love the kid to death. He is smart and a great person. But the Marine Corps would have killed him, just not the right personality.

I took him to the Air Force recruiter, we never spoke to any other branch. I think they (branches) all serve honorably but I think you have to fit the person to the branch and even the job within that branch. I was in the Marine Corps, I was an analyst (0231) in military intelligence. I would not have done well in many of the other MOS positions in the Marine Corps. :embarassed:

But I would have been a helluva F18 pilot I tell you!

http://i46.tinypic.com/2vn0vtd.jpg

:rofl:

GVFlyer
11-08-2012, 20:56
While I was an Army officer, I have a high regard for Marines. My father who is a former Naval Officer and more knowledgeable about such matters maintains that, "The Marine Corps is a minor branch of the armed services, created by Congress to assist the Navy with some of its simpler and more mundane missions."

Ruggles
11-08-2012, 21:02
While I was an Army officer, I have a high regard for Marines. My father who is a former Naval Officer and more knowledgeable about such matters maintains that, "The Marine Corps is a minor branch of the armed services, created by Congress to assist the Navy with some of its simpler and more mundane missions."

Those squids sure are kind to let us hang around to carry their water, maybe some day we can return the favor :rofl:

8-Ball
11-08-2012, 21:40
He was standing at parade rest for a civilian?

http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs24/f/2007/362/0/a/LOL_NIGRA_WUT__by_sottho.jpg

Geko45
11-08-2012, 21:41
They say that Air Force basic training is the easiest of any branch. Being prior USAF, I strongly disagree! Making those leather wallets from scratch was hard work and canoeing and archery both took great effort to master!

:usaf: :patriot:

Phaze5ive
11-08-2012, 21:47
Can someone in the Air Force explain to me why you guys are always in PT gear?

My experience:
Morning - PT gear
Chow - PT gear
Hanging out - PT gear
Final formation - PT gear

Ruggles
11-08-2012, 21:48
They say that Air Force basic training is the easiest of any branch. Being prior USAF, I strongly disagree! Making those leather wallets from scratch was hard work and canoeing and archery both took great effort to master!

Having been at Lackland AFB in Sept I have more respect for their training. It's not USMC boot camp but it gets the Airmen trained to serve. Those kids were disciplined, polite and marched loud and proud. The 18 year I turned over to them was a good kid, they turned him into a better one IMO.

Nothing but respect for the USAF, the balls on those boys in the 8th Air Force in WWII were huge!!

Yeah yeah I know USAAF but you know what I mean. :wavey:

Ruggles
11-08-2012, 21:49
He was standing at parade rest for a civilian?

http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs24/f/2007/362/0/a/LOL_NIGRA_WUT__by_sottho.jpg

Showing respect for his elder (God I hate to even type that about myself!) and showing his respect for our act of bringing him a gift. As well as respect for the young lady. Good stuff there. :wavey:

Ruggles
11-08-2012, 21:50

My experience:
Morning - PT gear
Chow - PT gear
Hanging out - PT gear

Now see if I were a sailor and had to wear those bell bottoms and that dog bowl looking cover then yeah PT gear for me! :tongueout:

larry_minn
11-08-2012, 22:00

So....................................
To be fair I was a Marine and my son is currently in the Air Force, so I might be a bit biased. :wavey:

That right there shows its a BS. :tongueout:

DrMaxit
11-08-2012, 22:01

My experience:
Morning - PT gear
Chow - PT gear
Hanging out - PT gear

Because they won't let us wear our pajamas...

Detectorist
11-08-2012, 22:09
The AF personnel is what you show your friends.

The Marines are the folks you introduce to your enemies.

lol

Batesmotel
11-08-2012, 22:30
As a Marine Grunt I earned the right to give crap to all the Dogfaces, Flyboys, Squids and Coasties.

And I love and respect every one of them.

Semper Fi.

Folsom_Prison
11-08-2012, 22:36
I talked to an Airforce recruiter once, he said if you like pretty girls in the service and sleeping in..... This is the place for you!!

Batesmotel
11-08-2012, 22:46
and sleeping in..... This is the place for you!!

:dunno:

One day I saw our upcoming training schedule.

We were scheduled to go to sleep at 0500 and wake up at 0400.

Thats right, day one had us going to sleep one hour after we got up for day two.

9jeeps
11-08-2012, 23:21
I got my USAF Class A Pass out of Tech school and turned it in when I was discharged.
It was choice duty and it's true about the pretty girls. Good chow and working conditions.
My duty: Air Traffic Controller/ Control Tower/ GCA, FAA Journeyman cards, 1962.

Ftttu
11-09-2012, 01:34
I was in my A-school after boot camp, and I thought it was cool all the squids moved out of the way when we J-heads approached. It was also cool when the cuties in the Philipines would say "Marines, ooh-rah!" followed by, "Airforce, meow". It was all in fun. It is a day early but Happy Birthday Marines! Semper fidelis!!!

frizz
11-09-2012, 02:17

Having been at Lackland AFB in Sept I have more respect for their training. It's not USMC boot camp but it gets the Airmen trained to serve. Those kids were disciplined, polite and marched loud and proud. The 18 year I turned over to them was a good kid, they turned him into a better one IMO.

Nothing but respect for the USAF, the balls on those boys in the 8th Air Force in WWII were huge!!

Yeah yeah I know USAAF but you know what I mean. :wavey:

Their balls got shot off with distressing frequency. B-17s and P-51s... all of them died. After the Luftwaffe was neutered in mid-late 1944, the P-51 pilots still died in close air support.

frizz
11-09-2012, 02:18

I'd say he wanted to plow her field.

Highspeedlane
11-09-2012, 03:03
I was an aviation ordnance mechanic in the USMC for 10 years and have been an USAF/ANG technician for the past 10 years.

I enlisted originally in 1982. When it came time to choose a service branch, there was no question it was going to be the Corps.

The major difference between the Corps and the USAF is when you issue an order to a Marine, he replies, "Sir Yes Sir!". When you issue and order to an Airman, he replies, "But why do I have to do thaaaaaaaaaat???"

USMC = Git 'r done

USAF = I'm not going to do it if you can't quote the reg, paragraph and subsection explaining where I have to.

USMC = screw the rules, there's a job to get done

USAF = can't do it if it ain't in the rules

In all seriousness, I'm glad to be where I'm at in this stage of life. At my age, my lower back will probably hold out until I call it a day.

I consider the Corps the tip of the spear, but you still need a handle...:cool:

2-8 Marine
11-09-2012, 06:53

Having spent four years in the Marine Corps ('65-'69) and a Vietnam Vet, and five years in the NY Air National Guard Security Police (Lackland and Camp Bullis Training) I can appreciate the humor in your remarks. I might also say, I'm proud of both orginizations and my service to same.

Geko45
11-09-2012, 07:00
Their balls got shot off with distressing frequency. B-17s and P-51s... all of them died. After the Luftwaffe was neutered in mid-late 1944, the P-51 pilots still died in close air support.

A story worth sharing. I spent my time with the 8th Air Force over in England (RAF Molesworth). We were there for a reason so we were typically working 12 hour days and covering the watch 24x7. But when we did get some down time we'd all get together and pile in the rental car and go see something worth seeing in England.

One day we were on our way back from some touristy spot I can't even remember and we decided to stop into a pub that we had never been in before. It was a very sleepy place. Just a typical country pub, but we noticed the mantle around the fireplace had all sorts of coins pounded into it.

We asked the pub-keeper the story on the coins and he explained that during the war B-17s had flown out of the nearby, now abonded, airfield. It was the tradition / superstition of the bomber pilots to leave a coin on the mantle before a mission. When they came back they would come by and pick up their coin. If they didn't come back then they would hammer the coin into the mantle.

The mantle was completely covered in coins...

Combatcomm
11-09-2012, 07:09
A story worth sharing. I spent my time with the 8th Air Force over in England (RAF Molesworth). We were there for a reason so we were typically working 12 hour days and covering the watch 24x7. But when we did get some down time we'd all get together and pile in the rental car and go see something worth seeing in England.

One day we were on our way back from some touristy spot I can't even remember and we decided to stop into a pub that we had never been in before. It was a very sleepy place. Just a typical country pub, but we noticed the mantle around the fireplace had all sorts of coins pounded into it.

We asked the pub-keeper the story on the coins and he explained that during the war B-17s had flown out of the nearby, now abonded, airfield. It was the tradition / superstition of the bomber pilots to leave a coin on the mantle before a mission. When they came back they would come by and pick up their coin. If they didn't come back then they would hammer the coin into the mantle.

The mantle was completely covered in coins...

I never heard that, Thanks for sharing.

Geko45
11-09-2012, 07:13
I never heard that, Thanks for sharing.

I don't think it was 8th Air Force wide, just that one base. It really brought it home for us when we realized every coin was an airman (just like us) that never made it back.

uptomyneck
11-09-2012, 08:34
U-(Unlimited)
S-(bad word for poop)
M-(Mass)
C-(Confusion)

gigab1te
11-09-2012, 08:37

So today my company took some sandwich trays to the local recruiting offices of all four branches. In celebration of Veterans Day and to show general thanks for all they do.

Just two of us went. We went left to right in the string of offices as we delivered.

First up was the Army. A soldier was in the office alone. He stood and made eye contact as we explained why we were there. He thanked us exchanged hand shakes and a few words. He was polite and seemed like he seemed to really appreciated the food.

Next up the Navy. Two CPOs were in the office. Both were sitting and remained seated during pretty much the same conversation as I had with the Army. I kinda got the feeling they could care less we were there.

Next up the Air Force....well except the office was closed. To be fair it was only 10:30 am so they might have still been in the rack :tongueout:

Last up the Marine Corps. Two Marine were both sitting at desk. One Marine (E6) was speaking to a young man (recruit?) seated at the rear of the room. The other Marine (E5) quickly stood up and stood at parade rest while speaking to us. He used yes sir and thank you sir during our conversation. He seemed really engaged with us. I explained to them that they were getting two trays since the Air Force was not there. I told them that of they wanted they could give it to the Air Force when they got back to the office, the E6 said they would arm wrestle them for the food. :supergrin:

So I was just really impressed with the professionalism of the Marine, just the picture perfect example of a professional military man. Not that the Army was not but honestly the Marines represented themselves the best IMO. I am pretty sure this is the case as the 28 year girl I was with from work who has no military experience commented on it in the car as we drove back.

None of them tried to recruit you? Slackers!!

11-09-2012, 08:41
I served as a Marine. One son went Airborne Rangers 2 Tours - UN Honor Guard for the 4 Star in Korea, Spent time in Africa with what is now the 173rd, Combat Jump in Bosnia, The other is a Naval officer (VBSS OIC) on a Destroyer capturing some Somali Pirates, then Staff Officer for a Destroyer Squadron, now heading to teach Naval ROTC at major University. Proud of both of them.

Each person has to find their own route in life.

The Marines are a special Military Unit. First to fight in WW1. FORCE RECON is several years older than the SEALS, Its Air Wings are the best ground support flying unit in the world. Many soldiers can thank the Marines for their lives at Pusan and the Frozen Chosen and other times t/0 History

Since Thomas Jefferson to the devastation by Sandy on Staten Island The term used by Civilians and others

SEND IN THE MARINES! still rings so true and Hallowed.

Which ever Branch of Service you served in - Thank you for your Service.

To all my fellow Marine Brothers, may I be the first to wish you a Happy Birthday Tomorrow.

Highspeedlane
11-09-2012, 08:51
U-(Unlimited)
S-(bad word for poop)
M-(Mass)
C-(Confusion)

So were you a non-hacker?

uptomyneck
11-09-2012, 09:02
So were you a non-hacker?

I was promoted to Master Skater after only one year. I had the cushest job in the Suck. I was a Combat Correspondent.

Highspeedlane
11-09-2012, 09:05
I was promoted to Master Skater after only one year. I had the cushest job in the Suck. I was a Combat Correspondent.

Sounds like you're having fun this morning. Have a great weekend.

Jeff82
11-09-2012, 09:09
... Combat Jump in Bosnia ...

Tell me more about this combat jump in Bosnia...
:whistling:

Geko45
11-09-2012, 09:25
Tell me more about this combat jump in Bosnia...
:whistling:

Sounds like Operation Provide Promise which took place in Bosnia from 93-95 to bring in humanitarian aid. Same conflict that later brought me to England (Operation Deliberate Force).