need help with .224 barnes tsx [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : need help with .224 barnes tsx

cfec2008
11-08-2012, 22:04
This is for an AR15. I sized this brass with rcbs small base die. Barnes tsx 70 grain. I set a bullet into sized case and then took it out of the press. Pressed bullet against the table to make sure it wouldnt move into case and it did, all the way in. The case had no powder or primer. Can I make neck tension a little tighter by running the die down a tad into the press>? I really dont want to trim all these cases and put a roll crimp on them if I dont have to. What do yall think I can do to fix this? I appreciate your time and response. thank you.

ColoCG
11-09-2012, 14:34
Is your bullet being seated to deeply, so that it is seating into the tapered part of the ogive causing insufficient neck tension. The 70gr. is a long bullet and being all copper is longer yet. It may need to be seated to a longer COL.

cfec2008
11-10-2012, 02:02
I seated it flush to where the last groove ends. So the way I had it seated you could not see any grooves. I dont think I can leave them out any futher because I wont be able to get them into my pmag. I ended up sizing and trimming 20 cases tonight. wow that takes forever. Im on a single stage, and using rcbs hand powerd trimmer lol. Im still pretty new so I appreciate your help. I may end up using a roll crimp. I just dont know how to tell when a am using a tight enough crimp. oh well..live and learn.

zippyhuntin
11-10-2012, 06:56
The first thing I would do is make sure the sizing die was set up correctly, and then make sure your OAL is correct.

cfec2008
11-10-2012, 10:29
The first thing I would do is make sure the sizing die was set up correctly, and then make sure your OAL is correct.

Thanks for your reply. My sizing die is full length rcbs 223. I set the die up by raising my ram all the way and screwing my die down into press til the two touched, and made sure all slack was taken up when it cammed over. The deprimer was set at 3\16 out of the die. Cases were lubed by hand with rcbs case lube 2. I have some reload data from Barnes in my email that says c.o.a.l. is supposed to be 2.250 with this bullet. I trimmed my cases last night. I got them a tad short on accident, but only by 1\1000 or just a tad less. My two powders are Varget and H4895. How do you know when you have applied just a small roll crimp? thanks again. Andy

390ish
11-10-2012, 15:14
You can reduce the size of your expander ball by using emery cloth and a drill or you can buy a lee factory crimp die. Either will serve you well. Anymore, I seat and crimp in separate steps just to cut down variances in overall length and neck tension, but I reload as a sort of a relaxing time killer and am not looking to crank out a maximum number of rounds in a given time.

ColoCG
11-10-2012, 17:11
390ish might be onto something, measure the diameter of your expander ball in your resizing die. It should be .222" or less. If is larger, that could be your problem. It is really the case neck tension and not your crimp that holds the bullet in place.
I don't crimp .223 rounds and most other rifle cases as well.
And never have a problem.

If it is larger than .222" then you can turn it down as mentioned or return it to RCBS for replacement.
Good Luck.

cfec2008
11-11-2012, 20:38
I measured the expander ball. it is machined right. I loaded 5 rounds. Lake City brass, cci small rifle primer, Barnes 70gn tsx, H4895 23.6. Barnes says this is max load so I held the rifle away from me on the first shot. I guess i didnt trust myself lol. Out of the 4 shots i fired at paper three of them touched, and i left the last one about .75in higher than my three shot group. So I loaded 15 more this evening for deer season. I bought a Lee factory crimp die Saturday. Seems to do a good job. I wrapped my hand in a towell and tried to press the bullet into the case with my table and couldnt do it so i know it will be fine in my AR. I appreciate everyones help. Please dont take my loaddata for fact. Just in case. I guess ill move to the 308 with the Barnes Tipped Tripple Shock.

dkf
11-11-2012, 22:01
Did you work the load up to max or just load a few rounds at max and pray they don't kaboom?

cfec2008
11-12-2012, 18:07
Did you work the load up to max or just load a few rounds at max and pray they don't kaboom?

I called Barnes and talked with them about their published max loads. The guy I talked with said it should be ok as long as I didnt have a tight chamber.

dkf
11-12-2012, 20:03
I called Barnes and talked with them about their published max loads. The guy I talked with said it should be ok as long as I didnt have a tight chamber.

Well most of us do not like to operate on "it should be ok". Next time I would advise working up the load. Sure it may cost you a little more in bullets, powder and primers but a new gun and/or surgery sure ain't cheap.

cfec2008
11-12-2012, 22:02
dfk, You are right. I should have worked it up. This will be the hunting load my wife will use this year.