"Country Left" in your part of the world [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : "Country Left" in your part of the world

MrKandiyohi
11-09-2012, 07:23
Do you know what a Country Left is and do your or others around you practice it in your section of the world?

A Country Left involves a 2 lane road, at least 2 cars traveling in the same direction and no vehicles coming the other way(or on the perpendicular road). Typically if the driver in the lead vehicle wants to make a left hand turn, he turns on the blinker, slows down (causing the other car(s) to slow down), and takes the left turn. In a Country Left, the lead vehicle turns on the blinker, verifies there is no oncoming traffic, pulls into the left lane, slows down (allowing the other car(s) to drive past at normal speed in the right lane), and takes the left turn.

A Country Left does require good vision of the road and any traffic, so it isn't recommended for hilly areas or busy roads.

Do any of you do this or do you think this is dangerous and should only be left to professional drivers or NASCAR fans?

eruby
11-09-2012, 07:28
I do this any time it's safe to do so.

I also slow down on the shoulder if a driver obviously wants to pass and the line is not broken.

Seems courteous to me.

Adjuster
11-09-2012, 07:29
Never seen it in west virginia or florida.

Dragoon44
11-09-2012, 07:38
Have seen and done it quite a bit in my neck of the woods. Generally on highways moving over to turn with a Semi behind you.

fusegsp
11-09-2012, 07:40
I do this all the time. I live in a rural area that is flat and has good visibility.

skinny99
11-09-2012, 07:47
I do it all the time. It is just common sense.

MtBaldy
11-09-2012, 07:47
I've seen it in GA, never done it.

F14Scott
11-09-2012, 07:49
I do it all the time. Formerly in Hellinois, now in Texas.

MrKandiyohi
11-09-2012, 08:08
I do this any time it's safe to do so.

I also slow down on the shoulder if a driver obviously wants to pass and the line is not broken.

Seems courteous to me.

Shoulder driving isn't recommended around here. Putting the left wheels onto the shoulder put the right wheels into the ditch. It doesn't make for stable or safe driving.

eruby
11-09-2012, 08:15
Shoulder driving isn't recommended around here. Putting the left wheels onto the shoulder put the right wheels into the ditch. It doesn't make for stable or safe driving.I should have been more clear that ther shoulder was paved and it was as though there were another lane to my right.

MrKandiyohi
11-09-2012, 08:27
I should have been more clear that ther shoulder was paved and it was as though there were another lane to my right.

Yes, I understood the shoulder in MD was paved. I just wanted to let you guys know it's not that way everywhere else. Sometimes the paved shoulder continues only about a foot past the outside lane marker and the ditch can drop off quite quickly.

gigab1te
11-09-2012, 08:32
I've honestly never seen that here in rural AZ. It is common for drivers to slow down slightly and pull onto the shoulder to pass a vehicle making a left hand turn.

HollowHead
11-09-2012, 08:37
Very common here in MT...do it all the time myself. HH

dewidmt
11-09-2012, 08:52
We do it here in Southern Indiana.....

MSDGlock
11-09-2012, 09:38
We do in Oklahoma

Dennis in MA
11-09-2012, 10:03
I do it for right hand turns. I don't put on the blinker, move left, brake, then make a quick right. I've gotten insurance companies for about 493,000 so far. (No passing on right.)

I also do it with oncoming traffic. It requires you to jig FAR left into the OPPOSING shoulder, but sometimes it works out fine. Worst is when there's a red light against you. That makes in tricky.

You people live in areas with WAAAY too few cars. And very straight roads. LOL

Glock20 10mm
11-09-2012, 10:08
Can't... roads too curvy.

XshooterX
11-09-2012, 10:09
I always thought that was just a Texas thing. Good to know some other folks have some sense too.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

8-Ball
11-09-2012, 10:16
Yep, do it all the time. It's normal around here.

ron59
11-09-2012, 10:20
I seen it growing up in Alabama and Georgia.
Not so much these days.

tmerritt530
11-09-2012, 10:21
Do this all the time. I live in Kansas so I can see for miles when it is safe

Carrys
11-09-2012, 10:29
Me thinks this can be seen anywhere the roads are conducive to it and the people are smart enough to understand what it's for, I do.

Of course that last part is what limits it in a lot of areas.:wavey:

mixflip
11-09-2012, 11:00
I am still in shock that my state "Nevada" voted overwhelmingly blue. Its like we are turning into California. Except we still have our gun rights. (for now)

Hamilton Burger
11-09-2012, 11:58
Around here, a country left is when they signal left, then swing their BAT* as far to the right as possible while making their left turn. If you're not disrupting at least three lanes of traffic, you're doing it wrong.

In a country right they signal right, pull all the way over to the right, then hang a U-turn.

Don't get me started on the country stop-in-the-middle-of the-road-for-no-apparent-reason, or the country put-it-in-reverse-on-the-freeway-and-back-up-to-the-exit-you-just-missed.

* Big-Assed-Truck, or Boat-and-Trailer. Often both.

MrKandiyohi
11-09-2012, 12:00
I do it for right hand turns. I don't put on the blinker, move left, brake, then make a quick right. I've gotten insurance companies for about 493,000 so far.

So you move into the left lane, let everyone pass you on the right, and then turn right (crossing back through the lane)?

I'm not sure what you mean with the last sentence.

I also do it with oncoming traffic. It requires you to jig FAR left into the OPPOSING shoulder, but sometimes it works out fine. Worst is when there's a red light against you. That makes in tricky.

So, now you involve 2 lanes of cars and you're pointed the wrong way on the shoulder? :wow: I'm glad I live out here.

You people live in areas with WAAAY too few cars. And very straight roads. LOL

We have enough people filling up my roads, thank you very much. We don't need more.

Agent6-3/8
11-09-2012, 12:11
I'm failing to understand what a "country left" is what or the point of it... If your turning left and there is no on coming traffic then turn. I don't see the point in letting traffic behind me pass before I turn.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

Eurodriver
11-09-2012, 12:12
Never seen it in west virginia or florida.

Ever been in Hardee or Highlands county?

Spent all day Monday and today there.

I actually saw this at least 3 different times.

Eurodriver
11-09-2012, 12:13
I'm failing to understand what a "country left" is what or the point of it... If your turning left and there is no on coming traffic then turn. I don't see the point in letting traffic behind me pass before I turn.

Because you're an inconsiderate *******. That's why.

By moving over to the left lane, traffic behind you can continue on without having to slow down while you turn.

MrKandiyohi
11-09-2012, 13:05

To turn safely, you need to be going much slower than highway speeds - 55mph. It allows the people behind you to continue on at highway speeds while allowing you to slow to a safe, turning speed. You don't "let them pass", you simply don't make them slow down.

Dennis in MA
11-09-2012, 13:10
So you move into the left lane, let everyone pass you on the right, and then turn right (crossing back through the lane)?

I'm not sure what you mean with the last sentence.

So, now you involve 2 lanes of cars and you're pointed the wrong way on the shoulder? :wow: I'm glad I live out here.

We have enough people filling up my roads, thank you very much. We don't need more.

Not sure if serious. (493k in ins settlements from people hitting me. Lol. And yes, I'm joking. )