More layoffs due to obamacare [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : More layoffs due to obamacare

meathead19
11-09-2012, 09:30
http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/watercooler/2012/nov/8/picket-companies-plan-massive-layoffs-obamacare-be/

I'm guessing unemployment will hit 15% by 2014.

cowboywannabe
11-09-2012, 09:33
impossible, obama said the best is yet to come, lean forward, hope and change....

or did he say here it comes, bend over, hope and pray.

meathead19
11-09-2012, 09:37
impossible, obama said the best is yet to come, lean forward GRAB YOUR ANKLES....

fixed it for you.

Glock20 10mm
11-09-2012, 10:16
impossible, obama said the best is yet to come, lean forward, hope and change....

Yup... here is the outline of what he meant!

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/are-we-headed-toward-the-constitution-or-the-communist-manifesto-this-breakdown-tells-you/

Louisville Glocker
11-09-2012, 10:23
I was just at the doc's office. I don't go often, but elbow got banged or something and is swelled up pretty bad.

Observations: five employees shuffling paper and scrambling around doing paperwork. Only one doctor and one APRN (practicing registered nurse). Why do they need five people to do the paperwork? And that doesn't include where they're going to send that paperwork to offsite - that is, the insurance companies that process the paperwork. Probably a couple more people there.

What if we could have a system that isn't driven by the insurance companies, and filing claims, counter-claims, etc? I'm talking small town doc. Maybe he has one nurse/assistant. I think the current system is bloated. Single payer is the way to go. Simplify. Cut out the middlemen.

ustate
11-09-2012, 10:27
My wife's work is cutting out full time employees. It won't change much for my wife since she only works one day a week but due to Obamacare her boss can't afford what would be required for people on fulltime status so everyone who is currently working fulltime will be moved to part time.

meathead19
11-09-2012, 10:35
My wife's work is cutting out full time employees. It won't change much for my wife since she only works one day a week but due to Obamacare her boss can't afford what would be required for people on fulltime status so everyone who is currently working fulltime will be moved to part time.

Yep, there will be lots going from full to part time. No choice of their own, of course.

It's for the greater good though....I'm sure you can/will understand.

Glock20 10mm
11-09-2012, 10:37
I was just at the doc's office. I don't go often, but elbow got banged or something and is swelled up pretty bad.

Observations: five employees shuffling paper and scrambling around doing paperwork. Only one doctor and one APRN (practicing registered nurse). Why do they need five people to do the paperwork? And that doesn't include where they're going to send that paperwork to offsite - that is, the insurance companies that process the paperwork. Probably a couple more people there.

What if we could have a system that isn't driven by the insurance companies, and filing claims, counter-claims, etc? I'm talking small town doc. Maybe he has one nurse/assistant. I think the current system is bloated. Single payer is the way to go. Simplify. Cut out the middlemen.

HIPPA for one.

nursetim
11-09-2012, 10:39

Let get this straight. By single payer, you mean the government? Or the old country doctor that takes cash only or maybe even a chicken or a bushel of corn? :dunno:

Carrys
11-09-2012, 11:32
Let get this straight. By single payer, you mean the government? Or the old country doctor that takes cash only or maybe even a chicken or a bushel of corn? :dunno:

I can't speak for that poster, but I can tell you what the short term past has lead me to understand that most people want......someone to do it for them.

As long as they don't have to do it for themselves.....and they are told it's for free, they would let the Devil do it.

garyjandfamily
11-10-2012, 08:28
I can't speak for that poster, but I can tell you what the short term past has lead me to understand that most people want......someone to do it for them.

As long as they don't have to do it for themselves.....and they are told it's for free, they would let the Devil do it.

Maybe having someone else pay for it IS the problem? Has anyone else noticed that Lasik eye surgery (which is not covered by Medicare or any insurance company) gets better, safer and cheaper every year? Maybe getting serious about a free market economy in health care would be the solution...

certifiedfunds
11-10-2012, 08:49

It used to be that way before Medicare started in 1966.

In single payer the government IS the middle man. Instead of having 5 people shuffling paperwork at your doctor's office, there will be a couple hundred thousand unionized federal workers shuffling it in DC.

Kingarthurhk
11-10-2012, 09:26

I think lean forward is the political euphemism for bend over.

lunarspeak
11-10-2012, 09:34

well back in the 50's maybe the old town doc was happy liveing in a old farmhouse and driveing a old beater car but that was then.

if it were me and i spent all those years in med school i would want to be paid ...no house calls,and im gone by 5.:tongueout:

Carrys
11-10-2012, 09:49
Maybe having someone else pay for it IS the problem? Has anyone else noticed that Lasik eye surgery (which is not covered by Medicare or any insurance company) gets better, safer and cheaper every year? Maybe getting serious about a free market economy in health care would be the solution...

I hear you sir.

But something you must understand IMO, the people have made their choice.....no going back or changing anything now. And what they want, never mind what may be better or safer......is someone to do things for them, at any cost.

People simply want someone else to do things for them and they don't mind the cost....especially when they think the cost is "free".

Our Country changed officialy a few days ago. The "right thing" changed, right before our eyes. The right thing as defined by the majority means to make someone else do it and force someone else to pay for it. Quality and cost no longer matter, except to mean one is due and the cost to them is "free".

Sporaticus
11-10-2012, 10:11
This is a good time to get into a petroleum or gas ETF.

EMTBN8
11-10-2012, 10:19

If human medicine were like veterinary medicine, there would be far less problems and bloating. However, politicians have figured out how to bloat everything so the system is now crap

Bruce M
11-10-2012, 10:20
well back in the 50's maybe the old town doc was happy liveing in a old farmhouse and driveing a old beater car but that was then.

if it were me and i spent all those years in med school i would want to be paid ...no house calls,and im gone by 5.:tongueout:

I do not know about the 50s but in the 60s the physicians I knew in our rural area appeared to be of upper middle class or upper class status based on the cars they drove and residences they lived in. And since some of the first automobiles were marketed specifically for doctors I have to guess that at least some of them have been above the middle of the middle class for a while now. And I have no problem with that.

meathead19
11-10-2012, 18:57
Flippy, DA in MA.......care to explain why these companies are letting hundres of employees go???

certifiedfunds
11-10-2012, 18:58
Flippy, DA in MA.......care to explain???

Fo-shizzle

Slug71
11-10-2012, 20:35
I don't like/agree with Obama Care but am I missing something with it? I don't understand all the lay-offs because of it.

From what I understand, companies with 25 and fewer employees don't pay anything and are eligible for a tax cut.
Companies with 50+ employees only pay if their PROFIT is $250k or more.
The tax if you avoid Obama Care is 0.9%. Isn't that offset quit a bit from the Bush tax cuts?

Have I got it all wrong?

Flying-Dutchman
11-10-2012, 21:32

Single payer refers to Socialized Medicine owned by the Government. If you mean that, your dream has come true as Obama Care is unworkable and after it bankrupts the private system the .gov exchanges swoop in and its game over.

If you are talking about you writing a check for what it costs, that ship has sailed.

Zeke Emanuel was giddy on CNBC the other day talking about determining doctors pay; a central planner's dream.

Don't get sick...

Flying-Dutchman
11-10-2012, 21:38
I don't like/agree with Obama Care but am I missing something with it? I don't understand all the lay-offs because of it.

From what I understand, companies with 25 and fewer employees don't pay anything and are eligible for a tax cut.
The tax if you avoid Obama Care is 0.9%. Isn't that offset quit a bit from the Bush tax cuts?

Have I got it all wrong?
There are people well versed in this so they can explain it or Google it.

It is 2,000+ pages so there is nothing simple about it. 4,000 new IRS agents have been hired to enforce it.

It gets progressively worse and worse each year. It was designed to kick in just after Obama is gone.

Lots of doctors are retiring because of it. Don't get sick...

frank4570
11-10-2012, 21:47
Lots of doctors are retiring because of it. Don't get sick...

Or start making enough money to pay the doctors with cash.

certifiedfunds
11-10-2012, 21:49
Or start making enough money to pay the doctors with cash.

Hillary wanted to make that a federal crime. At some point the government will make it a crime under this plan too.

Everyone must be equal and receive the same crappy service.

Flying-Dutchman
11-10-2012, 22:00
Hillary wanted to make that a federal crime. At some point the government will make it a crime under this plan too.

Everyone must be equal and receive the same crappy service.
Yep, stand in line for the government cheese.

You will be paying for other people's medical treatment then fly to India and pay cash for an operation to avoid getting euthanized when you get too old.

certifiedfunds
11-10-2012, 22:07
Yep, stand in line for the government cheese.

You will be paying for other people's medical treatment then fly to India and pay cash for an operation to avoid getting euthanized when you get too old.

People will say, "What happened to the good old days when my prescription cost $120 but I could get it the same day? Now it costs $5 but I can't get it for 3 months."

9jeeps
11-11-2012, 01:18
What I'm trying to figure out is who taught all these people to vote for the Empty O in the first place? Are we that stupid as a nation???? Oh uh never mind.

Harper
11-11-2012, 01:53
What I'm trying to figure out is who taught all these people to vote for the Empty O in the first place?

Great question. It was either Joseph-Louis Lagrange or Count Chocula depending on the two schools of thought. They certainly had very different teaching methods.

clancy
11-11-2012, 04:48

Have I got it all wrong?

Companies that provide insurance are now getting hit with massive increases in the cost of that insurance. In many cases they cannot afford those increases, even when much of it is passed on to the employees. Do you really think insuring someone's child until they are 26 is going to decrease the cost of insurance? How about mandated birth control for all female employees? Who is going to pay for that, the insurance provider or the company who buys that insurance? If a company's insurance carrier is now required by law to insure someone who already has cancer before they apply, do you really think the insurance carrier is going to not look to increase everybody's cost of coverage to offset the cost of the guy's cancer treatments?

Insurance companies are in business first and foremost to make money. Providing funds for healthcare is a secondary goal.

Fred Hansen
11-11-2012, 05:15
Great question. It was either Joseph-Louis Lagrange or Count Chocula depending on the two schools of thought. They certainly had very different teaching methods.:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

certifiedfunds
11-11-2012, 08:08
Great question. It was either Joseph-Louis Lagrange or Count Chocula depending on the two schools of thought. They certainly had very different teaching methods.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

KYJoe
11-11-2012, 08:44
What I'm trying to figure out is who taught all these people to vote for the Empty O in the first place? Are we that stupid as a nation???? Oh uh never mind.

Nominating the guy who designed/passed Obama care to overturn it. Yeah that is pretty stupid.

whoflungdo
11-11-2012, 09:23

Great news! You went to the doctor and now are an expert on how he should run his business. With experts like you, we don't need Congress to pass laws or regulations. We have you. Can you please go to my mechanic and watch him for 20 mins and tell him how to run his business to where he doesn't charge me as much? While you are at it, can you also watch one police interaction and tell them how to better do their jobs too?

podwich
11-11-2012, 09:28

You observed the problem and came to a completely wrong conclusion. This helps explain some of the fervor I've seen regarding wanting socialized healthcare--people just don't understand what's going on.

The government is who mandates the vast majority of this paperwork...and it keeps getting worse.

RonS
11-11-2012, 11:22
Insurers must cover people they previously did not. Many of the people they must now cover are people that they don't want to cover because of high health care costs. They are passing the added costs on to the employers and individual insurance companies. My employer, one of those companies that offer good insurance, has been trying to find positive ways to reduce insurance costs for years, health fairs, health incentives, etc. They still have to tell investors that more money is being spent on health insurance each year. I think that this will be the straw that breaks the camels back. I expect to lose my health insurance after 35 years, or worse, lose my job. I am pissed. I try to never wish anyone ill but in this case all of those people who voted for Obama, I hope you get the full measure of what you voted for.

nursetim
11-11-2012, 11:36
If human medicine were like veterinary medicine, there would be far less problems and bloating. However, politicians have figured out how to bloat everything so the system is now crap

One huge difference, we do not put people to sleep when we can not afford to pay for care, not an option, or at least it wasn't. Who knows what it will be like in the future.

certifiedfunds
11-11-2012, 12:56
One huge difference, we do not put people to sleep when we can not afford to pay for care, not an option, or at least it wasn't. Who knows what it will be like in the future.

Die hard Progressives have no problem with human euthanasia.

sigman69
11-11-2012, 16:43
I work for a not for profit hospital in Kansas City, MO...here is the deal, they have cut our PTO and we probably wont get a pay raise next year, also there will be layoffs...they have to cut an estimated 100 million from the budget. Here in a nutshell is why, As the Obamanation health care rolls on payments from medicare and medicaid are getting slashed, meaning that they will not be getting near as much money on the services, SO the healthcare organization wont have as much money and cuts have to be made. Also, they are estimating that private insurance reimbursements to health providers will drop also and follow the medicare/medicaid lead...again less money for the health organizations.

The govt is wanting more and more info ie paperwork on services provided so hence more people are needed.

Also, private insurances are getting tougher and tougher on paying for medicines requiring alot of documentation from the doctors and nurses...it is a real pain for the patient and nurses.

Bottom line...from my perspective our healthcare system is going in the wrong direction....for both the patient AND healthcare professionals.