Dropping off used engine oil at auto-parts stores and signing logbook [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Dropping off used engine oil at auto-parts stores and signing logbook

Annoyedgrunt
11-09-2012, 11:05
What's the deal with this? I went to the local O'Reillys (guess you could call it the No-Spin auto-parts store) to drop off some used engine oil. I change our vehicles' oil myself in the garage. They have this big container in the back that you dump the oil into. I've done this for years this way.

Well, this last time, the guy at the counter wanted me to put my information into a logbook they had there. Name, address, how much oil, etc. I asked him what it was for, and he said it was a record that they have to keep now.

Now, (cough, harrumph) during my haste to run my other errands, my info might have come across as just a bit illegible. That, and I think the pen may have been a bit faulty. :whistling:

Anyway, what's the purpose of this log? Aren't there enough watch-lists out there?

ilgunguygt
11-09-2012, 11:09
Dont know. Seems to me they would want as much of it as they could get, beings they get paid for it. My dealership for example buys its oil in bulk, so I pay right at 1 dollar a quart. I sell my waste oil at 1 dollar a gallon. I can do a five quart oil change with an AC Delco filter and only have $5.20 in supplies. It makes it easy to sell cheap oil change specials.

sheriff733
11-09-2012, 11:21
What's the deal with this? I went to the local O'Reillys (guess you could call it the No-Spin auto-parts store) to drop off some used engine oil. I change our vehicles' oil myself in the garage. They have this big container in the back that you dump the oil into. I've done this for years this way.

Well, this last time, the guy at the counter wanted me to put my information into a logbook they had there. Name, address, how much oil, etc. I asked him what it was for, and he said it was a record that they have to keep now.

Now, (cough, harrumph) during my haste to run my other errands, my info might have come across as just a bit illegible. That, and I think the pen may have been a bit faulty. :whistling:

Anyway, what's the purpose of this log? Aren't there enough watch-lists out there?

My local Advance auto has been doing that for years. I never signed anything, but you're supposed to. I just always dumped my oil and left.

tarpleyg
11-09-2012, 11:24
Sounds like anothe silly corporate "policy" to me. Find another auto parts store. I walk right into our Auto Zone and nod hello and proceed to the back of the store. Nary a glance usually.

Annoyedgrunt
11-09-2012, 11:31
Sounds like anothe silly corporate "policy" to me. Find another auto parts store. I walk right into our Auto Zone and nod hello and proceed to the back of the store. Nary a glance usually.

Do you think this logbook is corporate policy, then, and not something at the behest of the government/EPA?

JW1178
11-09-2012, 11:32
Here in GA, it's been done for a long time now. I worked at advanced auto parts. Every couple months, Secret Service Agents would come in and confiscate the book and record names. Using messy handwriting they would take special interest into and investigate and those they found that did not put in the exact correct information, well, we never saw them again.

:supergrin:

tarpleyg
11-09-2012, 11:34
Do you think this logbook is corporate policy, then, and not something at the behest of the government/EPA?
There is probably some lawyering involved. Doubt it's the gooberment but hell, you never know these days.

devildog2067
11-09-2012, 11:36
Leave it in front of the door, let them find it when they open the store in the morning.

Batesmotel
11-09-2012, 14:42
People have used oil drop offs as a way to dispose of toxic chemical waste. We had to padlock the tank at our gas station. We had a couple of jugs left at night that were defiantly not used oil. I bet this is the cause. Someone dropped off something bad now the company wants a record.

Batesmotel
11-09-2012, 14:43
Leave it in front of the door, let them find it when they open the store in the morning.

Don't get caught. Technically that is a federal crime. Improper dumping of a toxic substance.

Hurricanes
11-09-2012, 14:45
Never had to sign anything at my local Advance Auto. Then again, who knows if I'm supposed to, and nobody is telling me to.
-Joel

11-09-2012, 14:46
Just write the address of the store location and be done with it.

mrmedina
11-09-2012, 15:22
A couple years back this started here, I asked AutoZone the same question.

A) Oil must come from city limits residents only, the book is for proof to EPA/City environment department.

B) The sad part, I like the this service to get rid of oil motor oil. But AutoZone at least has to pay tax or fee just having a oil collection station.
So the government forces you to be a collection station and o'bye the way you have to pay us anyway.

schild
11-09-2012, 15:29
My local O'Reilly's has had the book for several years, also want to know the brand of oil.

Jason D
11-09-2012, 17:18
I always scribble something like One Hung Low or some other silly name.

ilgunguygt
11-09-2012, 17:27
A couple years back this started here, I asked AutoZone the same question.

A) Oil must come from city limits residents only, the book is for proof to EPA/City environment department.

B) The sad part, I like the this service to get rid of oil motor oil. But AutoZone at least has to pay tax or fee just having a oil collection station.
So the government forces you to be a collection station and o'bye the way you have to pay us anyway.
Does the government force them to take the money for the used oil too?

E-2-E
11-09-2012, 17:28
Our town highway garage takes residents used motor oil for free, they use it for heating the building. They do have a log book to fill out just your name, address, but I just dump and run.

Rick C
11-09-2012, 18:35
Don't get caught. Technically that is a federal crime. Improper dumping of a toxic substance.

Interesting.:rofl:

GenX
11-09-2012, 19:39
For those of you that do not live in a warm climate, find a garage that uses an oil burner to heat their shop. They will gladly take it and probably wont ask for your John Hancock.

Diesel_Bomber
11-09-2012, 19:59
Around here, the local dump will take used oil for free. No signing anything, just dump it in the sump.

I have a filtering rig in my garage, I filter the oil to finer than two microns and then mix it into my fuel for my truck. Only a few gallons per tank during the winter, and up to 25% or so in the summer.

HarleyGuy
11-09-2012, 20:55
Interesting that this topic came up today since I just dropped off 5 gallons this afternoon.

I've never heard of a "book" but I have seen some employees remove a cap and take a sniff, looking for what I think would be combustible or flammable liquids.

RenoF250
11-09-2012, 21:34
Elwood Blues
1060 West Addison
Chicago, IL

HollowHead
11-09-2012, 21:38
Must be a state-by-state thing as our O'Reilly's takes everything and lets you leave juggs after-hours. HH

TK-421
11-09-2012, 21:40
Elwood Blues
1060 West Addison
Chicago, IL

I was thinking the exact same thing. :rofl:

Meanie5470
11-09-2012, 21:43
I think its illegal for places like Advanced to take it from a business and thats their way of making sure youre not dumping too much regularly.

boone10
11-09-2012, 21:43
Local Wally World takes it and asks you to sign a book. I asked couple years ago--seems like it was supposed to hold you to 5 gallons per week or some silly EPA regulation.

HollowHead
11-09-2012, 21:49
Local Wally World takes it and asks you to sign a book. I asked couple years ago--seems like it was supposed to hold you to 5 gallons per week or some silly EPA regulation.

While I was once told (but can't verify it), toxic waste such as used motor oil still belongs to the source depositers until it is acceptd by the end recycler. The collecting trucking company needs to account for every drop and who provided it in the event that the end refiner refuses it or the truck wrecks/spills during transit. HH

janice6
11-09-2012, 21:55
Our town highway garage takes residents used motor oil for free, they use it for heating the building. They do have a log book to fill out just your name, address, but I just dump and run.

Our city does that too.

They said they have a problem with commercial companies trying to dump large quantities of used oil. They claim they are doing this as service for the people that live in the city and are not equipped to handle large quantities.

They also worry about people that mix antifreeze and oil then dump it into the recycling oil barrel, messing up the batch.

Annhl8rX
11-09-2012, 22:23
My local Auto Zone has. Book sitting on the receptacle. The first time I took my oil there the guy walked me back. When I asked if he had a pen so I could sign the book, he said, "Don't worry about it". Ever since then I just walk back myself, dump my oil, and am on my way.

gwalchmai
11-10-2012, 04:16
Leave it in front of the door, let them find it when they open the store in the morning.Word up!

People have used oil drop offs as a way to dispose of toxic chemical waste. We had to padlock the tank at our gas station. We had a couple of jugs left at night that were defiantly not used oil. I bet this is the cause. Someone dropped off something bad now the company wants a record.

Don't get caught. Technically that is a federal crime. Improper dumping of a toxic substance.Improper AND defiantly dumping used oil - what are we coming too? ;)

I suspect that soon it will be illegal to change your own oil.

Elwood Blues
1060 West Addison
Chicago, IL"Hey, Bill, I was looking over the logbook. This guy Heywood Jablowmi is doing a LOT of oil changes and he has the same phone number as Jenny."

Annoyedgrunt
11-10-2012, 07:35
Our city does that too.

They said they have a problem with commercial companies trying to dump large quantities of used oil. They claim they are doing this as service for the people that live in the city and are not equipped to handle large quantities.

They also worry about people that mix antifreeze and oil then dump it into the recycling oil barrel, messing up the batch.

The problem with this is- how do they know WHO did it? (mixed antifreeze with oil) It's a huge tank they use, and with it all mixed up together... what would they do, cite EVERYONE in the book?

Glockdude1
11-10-2012, 07:47

:agree:

Put a bow on the jug. :supergrin:

Shockem841
11-10-2012, 11:13
I could drop a dead body off at our O'Reillys and no questions would be asked....:whistling:

Glockdude1
11-10-2012, 11:18
I could drop a dead body off at our O'Reillys and no questions would be asked....:whistling:

If your O'Reillys is like the ones here, everyone would think he (the body) worked there.

:cool:

janice6
11-10-2012, 11:21
The problem with this is- how do they know WHO did it? (mixed antifreeze with oil) It's a huge tank they use, and with it all mixed up together... what would they do, cite EVERYONE in the book?

Obviously they don't. It is just an act to try to intimidate those that read.

Kingarthurhk
11-10-2012, 11:45
It is interesting when I.P. Freely drops off his oil, and he lives at 742 Evergreen Terrace.:supergrin:

TK-421
11-10-2012, 11:57
It is interesting when I.P. Freely drops off his oil, and he lives at 742 Evergreen Terrace.:supergrin:

I think it's a toss up between that and 1022 W Addison. :rofl:

TBO
11-10-2012, 12:07
Signed: Captain James T. Kirk
USS Enterprise

Sent from the toe of my jack boot using Tapatalk 2

Cali-Glock
11-10-2012, 12:18
When used oil is cleaned up for re-use there is waste which must be disposed of.

Despite what people may think - you always own your hazardous waste. The names and addresses of hazardous waste disposers are maintained forever. If thirty years later a hazardous waste site needs to be rehabilitated, or it is leaking, etc the government turns back to the people and companies that disposed of that waste years ago to clean it up.

A number of years ago a California hazmat dump site was having issues and everyone who had ever used that dump recieved a bill commensurate to the amount of waste they had put into the dump.

When you hire a hazmat company to haul your crap away, your information is tracked forever with that waste.

So yes - your name is tied forever with your disposed oil. Jiffy-lube and your local auto dealer probably does the same thing - tying our names to the oil and other hazardous materials they dispose of "on out behalf".

Expect your bill from EPA in twenty years.

Kingarthurhk
11-10-2012, 12:21
When used oil is cleaned up for re-use there is waste which must be disposed of.

Despite what people may think - you always own your hazardous waste. The names and addresses of hazardous waste disposers are maintained forever. If thirty years later a hazardous waste site needs to be rehabilitated, or it is leaking, etc the government turns back to the people and companies that disposed of that waste years ago to clean it up.

A number of years ago a California hazmat dump site was having issues and everyone who had ever used that dump recieved a bill commensurate to the amount of waste they had put into the dump.

When you hire a hazmat company to haul your crap away, your information is tracked forever with that waste.

So yes - your name is tied forever with your disposed oil. Jiffy-lube and your local auto dealer probably does the same thing - tying our names to the oil and other hazardous materials they dispose of "on out behalf".

Expect your bill from EPA in twenty years.

With the ammount of diahreah I've had, I can only imagine the bill.:rofl:

tantrix
11-10-2012, 14:44
This is exactly why everyone I know that owns property has a special little "oil retirement area" they dump in when they change any oil.

What logbook? :whistling:

2afreedom
11-10-2012, 18:30
If you have a wood stove, a little used oil thinned with kerosene and sprayed through a garden sprayer onto wood and kindling makes great fire starter.

Sporaticus
11-10-2012, 19:25
My local store always acts honored to have Elvis Presley dropping off oil. :dunno:

Tom34
11-10-2012, 23:31
Where I live, you put the oil out with the trash pickup. Just label it and it disappears.

LEO/Dad
11-11-2012, 07:15
When I collect five gallons I take to local Wally World. They require signature/phone/address. Ok. they use to have two outside steel storage bins, one for oil, one for oil filters. They have since removed both, and now you take your oil and filter inside to the garage area, and they dump and take for you. Seems they are always changing something to save money. I buy their Pennzoil 5 qt. jugs for $15.97. Wix oil filters from O'Reiley's. Rock Auto also has good pricing on Wix, if you can offset shipping cost with quantity.

oldsoldier
11-11-2012, 07:35
Around here, the local dump will take used oil for free. No signing anything, just dump it in the sump.

I have a filtering rig in my garage, I filter the oil to finer than two microns and then mix it into my fuel for my truck. Only a few gallons per tank during the winter, and up to 25% or so in the summer.

The Army bought some machines about 8 years back on a test basis to do the same thing. I remember that the Tank and Automotive Command bought off on them after tests proved there was no harm to the engines. They sent some of the machines to Iraq to try and get rid of all the waste oil in storage. It's a lot cheaper to burn it than to ship it back. I changed jobs before I found out how it worked out. It was an easy to use machine. The operators just needed to make sure they didn't exceed the mix ratio. The machine took care of most of that though.

relayman
11-11-2012, 08:03
We have a drum at work for used motor oil . I've been bringing mine there for years . Just have to make sure it is not contaminated with ANY other waste .

NDCent
11-11-2012, 08:22
Sign your neighbors name and address, then wave at the black suit guys when they visit. :wavey:

Jeffe
11-11-2012, 08:25
http://www.cleanburn.com/products/cb2500.html

we burn all our own used oil, even some that people drop off, never had any log book for it.

itstime
11-11-2012, 08:29
Never heard of that. They must have received something other than oil somewhere.

owl6roll
11-11-2012, 15:44
Rusty Shackleford @ 1313 Mockingbird Lane Smallville, Al

professorpinki
11-11-2012, 17:49

EPA and liability.

If they send off the oil through a company that the EPA says is good to go and the EPA changes their mind, they want to know the origination of all of it.

Also, I'm sure the company doesn't want people abusing the system.

E-2-E
11-11-2012, 18:03
Rusty Shackleford @ 1313 Mockingbird Lane Smallville, Al

What did Herman do to you!