Anyone Know Anything About The Dragon Software? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Know Anything About The Dragon Software?

Carrys
11-09-2012, 11:39
I'm talking about the software that lets one speak into his computer rather than type.

Considering my MS and wounds.....my hands aren't quite the nimble little things thwey once were. I'm looking for something to help.

Thank you

John Rambo
11-09-2012, 11:42
Installed it for a client, a doctor wanted it for Dictations after transitioning to a new computer system and to EMR software. They've been happy so far.

hamster
11-09-2012, 11:44
I'm talking about the software that lets one speak into his computer rather than type.

Considering my MS and wounds.....my hands aren't quite the nimble little things thwey once were. I'm looking for something to help.

Thank you

Give it a try. They have free downloadable demos I think as well as an iPhone App.

Personally I tried it several times over the years and am always frustrated. However from what I've heard Dragon is the best of the dictation software.

JJohnson
11-09-2012, 11:51
I've deployed a few hundred instances of Dragon over the last year. It is a powerful tool and when it is configured correctly, can be a real time saver.

bocaboca
11-09-2012, 11:56
OS7 for windoz has voice recognition software built in. I can open any program, doc, or web site. I can dictate, make corrections, delete, copy, past, just about everything you can do with a keyboard you can do with voice commands. Yeah every once in a while it will get a word wrong....but its a 2 second fix. The more you use it the better is gets at understanding your voice and speech patterns.
I'm using it right now to write this post.
It warned me about the misspelling of windoz but i told it to "ignore"

Carrys
11-09-2012, 11:56
I've deployed a few hundred instances of Dragon over the last year. It is a powerful tool and when it is configured correctly, can be a real time saver.

Thanks for the reply.

Though I'm not as concerned with how much time it will/can save me as I am with how easy it is to install and use. It's getting quite dificult to type with my hands any longer.:wavey:

John Rambo
11-09-2012, 12:22
Thanks for the reply.

Though I'm not as concerned with how much time it will/can save me as I am with how easy it is to install and use. It's getting quite dificult to type with my hands any longer.:wavey:

From an end-user standpoint, its not really that easy to install and configure. Installation is reasonably simple, but configuration is a ***** if you really wanna dial it in. Once you get it all setup, though, its plenty easy to use.

gwalchmai
11-09-2012, 13:28
I understand it's based on some early DARPA research from the 60s...

http://hilobrow.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/cone-of-silence-1.jpg

RWBlue
11-09-2012, 13:34
I installed it years ago for a doctor and it DIDN'T work for him. It had issues with all the medical words and needed more CPU and Ram than his machine had..

For those who have installed it more recently. Talk to me about how to dial it in for a doctor.

(Since I know this doctor, I might go back and see if this would work for him now if I am 100% sure we can dial it in.)

MrKandiyohi
11-09-2012, 13:34
It was used successfully in our ER. It takes a little work to recognize your voice, but it's much faster than typing with feeble/injured hands. I'd definitely recommend you try it.

TK-421
11-09-2012, 13:38
My mom has it and likes it a lot, she says it's really useful. However, it is speech recognition, and it does take time to learn your voice, so the first few times you use it it might be a bit annoying, until it learns your voice and you learn which words you need to articulate better so the program can understand what you're saying. If you can't type well then definitely get it, Dragon is the best voice recognition program out there. There is a bit of a learning curve, and it takes some getting used to, but if the option is use Dragon or don't use the computer, I'd say go with Dragon.

Carrys
11-09-2012, 13:54
My mom has it and likes it a lot, she says it's really useful. However, it is speech recognition, and it does take time to learn your voice, so the first few times you use it it might be a bit annoying, until it learns your voice and you learn which words you need to articulate better so the program can understand what you're saying. If you can't type well then definitely get it, Dragon is the best voice recognition program out there. There is a bit of a learning curve, and it takes some getting used to, but if the option is use Dragon or don't use the computer, I'd say go with Dragon.

Thanks, that's what I was looking for. Seems my MS and other service wounds are preventing me from typing as plainly and correctly as I did just a mere few months ago.

Not to mention those fine examples of human beings who've had a grand old time making fun of my mistakes. But hey, it's all they can bring......... so I understand.

Perhaps I'll give iut a try.

Thanks.:wavey:

gwalchmai
11-09-2012, 13:56
You know, Carrys, your typing has always seemed as good as anyone else's from my side.

BEANCOUNTER
11-09-2012, 14:01
I installed it years ago for a doctor and it DIDN'T work for him. It had issues with all the medical words and needed more CPU and Ram than his machine had..

For those who have installed it more recently. Talk to me about how to dial it in for a doctor.

There is a Dragon medical practice edition that includes a medical vocabulary. It isn't cheap, around $1,600+ from what I found on Google.

TK-421
11-09-2012, 14:21
Thanks, that's what I was looking for. Seems my MS and other service wounds are preventing me from typing as plainly and correctly as I did just a mere few months ago.

Not to mention those fine examples of human beings who've had a grand old time making fun of my mistakes. But hey, it's all they can bring......... so I understand.

Perhaps I'll give iut a try.

Thanks.:wavey:

Just don't get discouraged if it doesn't work perfectly the first few times you use it, it needs time to learn. Give it a chance, and I'm sure you'll be amazed at how much easier it becomes to "type".

RWBlue
11-09-2012, 14:29
There is a Dragon medical practice edition that includes a medical vocabulary. It isn't cheap, around $1,600+ from what I found on Google.

MD, DO, DC, DDS or all the above?

Based on what I have seen the vocabulary is different.

BEANCOUNTER
11-09-2012, 15:02
MD, DO, DC, DDS or all the above?

Based on what I have seen the vocabulary is different.

Try this link: http://www.nuance.com/ucmprod/groups/healthcare/@web-enus/documents/collateral/nc_018076.pdf

Taphius
11-10-2012, 02:02
My VA physician used it during my physical, worked very well considering his accent. They also make many of the trace type keyboards for android so I would trust their various algorithms

Dennis in MA
11-10-2012, 07:19
I understand it's based on some early DARPA research from the 60s...

http://hilobrow.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/cone-of-silence-1.jpg

That's COS research, not DARPA.

I had it about 15 yrs ago. You used a mo3 recorder and imported it for dictation. It learned well.

Then I got it for my PC a few years ago. It didn't seem to want to learn at all. Frustrating. Although I recently found both headphone mic's - and neither worked well. So it could have been a hardware issue all along. But it seemed to refuse to actually learn my speech patterns.